Journey Review

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I've had a PC for ages.
Picked up a Wii during the craze.
Pre-ordered a 3DS.
Bought an xBox 360 last summer.

And I *still* don't have what I need to play the games I want. Bloody hell.

Why is this PS3 exclusive? Why, Why, Why? T_T

This game is just brilliant.

When people say 'art games' they don't mean pretentious crap, they don't mean interactive novels passing themselves off as games.

They mean Journey.

The game is utterly beautiful, I can't recommend it enough.

If you've ever thought of video games as more than just a 'toy', you owe it to yourself to play Journey.

That was beautiful.

Well Jim said that this game is "doing it right", so I guess now that I have another reliable recommendation it would be irresponsible not to go get it. So, I'll get it.

Thanks.

Why ONLY PS3 :'( i understand exclusives but even and exclusive tends to show up on steam/PC. Please PC version please! >.<

I really hope Yahtzee gets around to reviewing this. I wonder what it will bring out in him.

1nfinite_Cros5:
I really hope Yahtzee gets around to reviewing this. I wonder what it will bring out in him.

I hope it melts his cold, cold heart :D

Let's see how many users with Ammy avatars show up to sing this game's praises.

This is the first game ever that made me want to buy a PS3.

I cried. It was beautiful.

Also, did they announce the soundtrack, yet? I want to give them more money.

Piorn:

Yeah man, I want that soundtrack so much.

Take all my monies!

Duffeknol:

You know, if I didn't think I'd get lynched for suggesting people should buy a PS3 just to play a two-hour game....I totally would say that. Because this game is that special. Truly, it's remarkable.

Susan Arendt:

Duffeknol:

You know, if I didn't think I'd get lynched for suggesting people should buy a PS3 just to play a two-hour game....I totally would say that. Because this game is that special. Truly, it's remarkable.

Subtle Susan, subtle.

But not subtle enough.

I'll get the mob, someone get the torches.

I love the way you didnīt talk about the gameplay; a lot of people says that discovering it is half the fun, so I stopped looking for info about this game. But when I saw it was your review I had to take the risk.
One question, I want to play it but can`t do it right now, I dont have a ton of time at this moment; will my experience be dimished if I wait too long and I don`t find someone online to share the journey with me (no pun intended).
As always, I love your work.

I'm dying to get my hands on this game but first someone else must die so I can get a PS3 . . .

Daystar Clarion:

1nfinite_Cros5:

I hope it melts his cold, cold heart :D

Let's see how many users with Ammy avatars show up to sing this game's praises.

Don't you know the only way to melt someones heart is with a cool island song? or wait...is it melt his icy heart with a warm island song.. hmmm

OT: Like Bastion i picked this game up on a total whim. and like Bastion, was one of those rare games that brought actual emotions out of my cynical mind since the death of Aerith in FF7 and the Opera of FF6 when i was but a young lad. Indie games, i love you lol

Nelson Goodrich:
I love the way you didnīt talk about the gameplay; a lot of people says that discovering it is half the fun, so I stopped looking for info about this game. But when I saw it was your review I had to take the risk.
One question, I want to play it but can`t do it right now, I dont have a ton of time at this moment; will my experience be dimished if I wait too long and I don`t find someone online to share the journey with me (no pun intended).

Honestly, yes. The game will still be lovely, of course, but its magic comes from being a shared experience. It won't be the same without that.

This game will bomb. Why? A serious lack of chest high walls.

To make this game more successful they need to add chest high walls, a death match mode with some vehicles and...well just turn it into a COD/BF clone. Why have originality when you can have the same thing in a different skin?

What's the price of this game? At 2 hours long I would expect a budget pricing.

well open up a petition. perhaps we can get journey, Flow, Cloud and Flower in a bundle.

paying 150-300€ plus 12.99€ to play one single game is insane.
it would be somewhat reasonable if they port it to the ps vita.
but i doubt they'd do it.

if all else fails there is a Ps3 Emulator in developement.
but until its 'done' the prices for these black gaming shoeboxes will significantly drop.

http://www.gamesradar.com/journey-dev-considering-end-studios-sony-exclusivity/

"Thatgamecompany had a three game contract with Sony, so the past three games had to be Sony exclusive. Right now we are very much exploring ways to bring our games to a bigger audience, beyond just PlayStation," he said, explaining, "We are still in the process of negotiating, but I hope that we can announce it [soon]. But right now it's still in the process."

Considering its crtical and commercial successes with flOw and Flower, and the early buzz on Journey, it's not hard to see Thatgamecompany finding an audience on Xbox Live Arcade or Steam. Odds are Sony might also make a play to keep Chen and his team in-house or at the very least shop out flOw, Flower, and Journey to iOS and other platforms itself.

we might be able to play it without having to buy a ps3 at all..

edit:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2012/03/08/journey-dev-defends-the-games-length/

"We don't want to add any filler, because people are paying money to experience that," he said. "If we add filler, that's disrespect." He continued by saying that as kids we have all the time in the world to sink into a long game, but as adults, "If its too long they won't have the time to enjoy it." Therefore Journey's length was designed to be more like a movie. "The reason a film is designed between 90 minutes and 2 hours is so people can take the whole thing in. Two hours is kind of the golden time before people have to go to the bathroom."

this is the reason why it is so short.

Nelson Goodrich:

I can say from experience that the game is still incredible even alone. I was worried the multiplayer would ruin the feel of the game, so I played it with my internet off. I still loved it.

Man, I have never WANTED to pay a game as much as you have made me want to play this one.

Maybe I'm jaded.
Maybe I'm a tightwad.
Maybe I have a mortgage.

$15 was just not something I was willing to shell out for something I know will take about the time it takes to watch a movie.

2nd thought: The one time the PSN gets an exclusive that's good and well... just look at the reactions.

Susan Arendt:

Nelson Goodrich:

Honestly, yes. The game will still be lovely, of course, but its magic comes from being a shared experience. It won't be the same without that.

Yeah, the player interactions are a big part of what makes the game special (though not all by a long shot). However, you have to figure that as long as there's an even number of players playing the game online, you'll get an partner, since the game hooks you up automatically. It shouldn't matter if there's 4 or 4000 people playing the game at one time, they should all get matched up.

ace_of_something:
Maybe I'm jaded.
Maybe I'm a tightwad.
Maybe I have a mortgage.

$15 was just not something I was willing to shell out for something I know will take about the time it takes to watch a movie.

And yet $15 is pretty much the price you (speaking in general) would pay to see a movie, and is a bit less than most DVDs or Blu-Rays cost. And this game hits an emotional core most movies can't. So, yeah, totally wort it.

Crimson_Dragoon:

ace_of_something:
Maybe I'm jaded.
Maybe I'm a tightwad.
Maybe I have a mortgage.

And yet $15 is pretty much the price you (speaking in general) would pay to see a movie, and is a bit less than most DVDs or Blu-Rays cost. And this game hits an emotional core most movies can't. So, yeah, totally wort it.

Where I live movies still cost $7-8 to go see at a theater. I understand the point you are trying to make though. I think I'll wait for the inevitable price cut that comes with anything on the psn that is widely successful.

Crimson_Dragoon:

Susan Arendt:

Nelson Goodrich:

Yeah, the player interactions are a big part of what makes the game special (though not all by a long shot). However, you have to figure that as long as there's an even number of players playing the game online, you'll get an partner, since the game hooks you up automatically. It shouldn't matter if there's 4 or 4000 people playing the game at one time, they should all get matched up.

Here's a question - let's say that activity dwindles to the point that you wind up working through the game with the same person, as opposed to a different person in every section? Do you think that would change the overall tenor of the game for you?

Susan Arendt:

Crimson_Dragoon:

Susan Arendt:

Here's a question - let's say that activity dwindles to the point that you wind up working through the game with the same person, as opposed to a different person in every section? Do you think that would change the overall tenor of the game for you?

Pretty sure that would just make me feel even closer to my partner. Assuming he actually plays with me instead of running off.

Also I really wish this was coming to PC...

Journey is this year's Portal.

I usually hate comparisons like that, but it's just that similar to Valve's short and sweet perfection.

Li Mu:

To make this game more successful they need to add chest high walls, a death match mode with some vehicles and...well just turn it into a COD/BF clone. Why have originality when you can have the same thing in a different skin?

Jesus dude, bitter much?

Anyways I believe the price is 12.99 or something along those lines.

Casual Shinji:
Journey is this year's Portal.

I usually hate comparisons like that, but it's just that similar to Valve's short and sweet perfection.

Except there's no way it can spawn a meme that got boring 2 weeks after the game's release.

I hope...

anthony87:

Li Mu:

Jesus dude, bitter much?

Anyways I believe the price is 12.99 or something along those lines.

Ģ9.99

Best tenner I've ever spent. Unless you're talking about different currency, of course.

Daystar Clarion:

Piorn:

Take all my monies!

I want the soundtrack along with a video that just plays that sidescrolling surfing scene over and over! Surely you know the scene I'm talking about right? I've rarely been blown away so much by the lighting of a game.

Also, have you come across any white cloaks yet?

anthony87:

Daystar Clarion:

Piorn:

Take all my monies!

I want the soundtrack along with a video that just plays that sidescrolling surfing scene over and over! Surely you know the scene I'm talking about right? I've rarely been blown away so much by the lighting of a game.

Also, have you come across any white cloaks yet?

Yeah, I was wondering what the white cloaks were. Maybe for getting all the trophies?

And yes, that scene is absolutely fucking amazing, blew my fucking mind how great the lighting was as well as the calm, serene soundtrack as you glide past the lost city. And the sand? How do you make sand blow someone's mind? I don't know man, but it blew mine.

Beautiful.

Why, journey? Why must you be on the one console I don't own?

Please come to Steam. Please.

This and Flower have been the only two games that entice me to buy a ps3. However, it is STILL of my budget. I know flower would be almost impossible to port due to the dependence on the PS3's controller, but Journey is something that I've anxious to play since I heard about it (and after playing flOw).

Arrrrg...PC is such a rich place for games like this, I truly hope they'll shop around this gem.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here