No Right Answer: Worst Videogame to Movie Adaptation Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

DVS BSTrD:
What about Wing Commander? I mean the game itself HAD a better movie version in it.

Yeah, WC was the first movie I walked out on. The fact that Chris Roberts directed and wrote it still stuns me.

RonHiler:
[sheldon]And the answer is, of course, Wing Commander[/sheldon]

Bravo, haha

So does Chris like the Pokemon movies then? Or was that just supposed to be the stopping point?

Cause I kinda liked the Pokemon movies I saw. Of course the first three came out when I was the target audience so....

Great episode though.

- Double Dragon and Street Fighter were both comedies. And they both had some funny parts. Fans got upset because they weren't true to their games. But as movies (playfully campy movies) they still worked. Just not in the genre audiences anticipated them to.
- Dead or Alive at least achieved what it set out to do and mirrored the 'appeal' of the games.
- Mario Bros. was a Hollywood influenced mess but not as bad as its reputation (and by that I mean it's watchable).
- Final Fantasy was about as coherent and good of any of the game plots if you took them out of the game context (take that to mean what you will).
- Doom failed at what it set out to do and was just dull.

But no mention of the master works of Uwe Bowel? (yes I spelt that right).

There's a teaser for House of the Dead the movie on the Xbox copy House of the Dead III. It is without a doubt, the most incompetent piece of film making and marketing I have ever seen. You have to see it to believe it. If you think the film is bad, this 'promo' has no sound effects, awkward editing, and makes little sense. Seek it out if you love truly awful films. The actual House of the Dead film is just boring terrible and no fun. But that promo piece is like a condensed version of all the worst aspects of bad film making and video games put in to one.

How about anything by Uwe Boll?

Also that was a great episode.

really laughed at it... i mean with it

This debate is invalid, no Uwe Boll films were in the running.

I honestly just expected a 5 second clip of both Chris, Dan and Kyle saying "Super Mario Bros." all at once.

Ok, Spirits within wasn't that bad. Ok, it wasn't a very good movie but it wasn't a bad FF movie. Like you said Sid, Gaia, Chocobo. It did what any final fantasy game did, kept certain ideas while creating an entirely new world and story. To say it failed as an adaptation you have to say every FF game, past like 2, has been a crappy sequel. Were people expecting turn based combat or something? I think it's because it didn't have nearly enough ff7 references.

Honestly, I'd say that the worst video game movie is Max Payne, purely on the basis that they had such great source material to work with yet still made a terrible film.

Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat - how can these be considered terrible adaptations when there's hardly anything to adapt? Street Fighter is a 2D fighter that included a man who's arms stretch to the other side of the room, another who can shoot fireballs out of his hands, a woman that can fly in mid-air by spinning her legs around, upside down, a green monster... yeah, you get the idea.

SF and MK had practically nothing going for them. There was little to no plot, as what there was in the games are purely to give a remote excuse to add the bizzare selection of characters (or excuse for a game). And yet they still achieve a level of entertainment in a cheesy kinda way.

Max Payne on the other hand could've been a better film had they just copied the story and dialog word for word. The story (especially the intro) is one of the best examples of equilibrium to disequilibrium in any story, Payne being a character we could easily related to, and so forth... and yet the film managed to make Payne completely unlikeable? I could hardly believe that was possible. The game was a pure action game, yet the film was a slow paced thriller.

There are no laughs in Max Payne, no likeable characters, no element to the story that draws you in, no catchy dialog, and the action sequences, or what there are of them, are uninspired and unmemorable. Give me SF and MK any day.

Dastardly:

Firefilm:
Watch Video

All of that, and you still missed House of the Dead.

That was the the one I thought about the whole time. They took dead people and loading screens from the game. If you are making a movie adaptation the one thing you should leave out is LOADING SCREENS!

Terramax:
Honestly, I'd say that the worst video game movie is Max Payne, purely on the basis that they had such great source material to work with yet still made a terrible film.

Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat - how can these be considered terrible adaptations when there's hardly anything to adapt? Street Fighter is a 2D fighter that included a man who's arms stretch to the other side of the room, another who can shoot fireballs out of his hands, a woman that can fly in mid-air by spinning her legs around, upside down, a green monster... yeah, you get the idea.

SF and MK had practically nothing going for them. There was little to no plot, as what there was in the games are purely to give a remote excuse to add the bizzare selection of characters (or excuse for a game). And yet they still achieve a level of entertainment in a cheesy kinda way.

Max Payne on the other hand could've been a better film had they just copied the story and dialog word for word. The story (especially the intro) is one of the best examples of equilibrium to disequilibrium in any story, Payne being a character we could easily related to, and so forth... and yet the film managed to make Payne completely unlikeable? I could hardly believe that was possible. The game was a pure action game, yet the film was a slow paced thriller.

There are no laughs in Max Payne, no likeable characters, no element to the story that draws you in, no catchy dialog, and the action sequences, or what there are of them, are uninspired and unmemorable. Give me SF and MK any day.

Ya they do this from time to time. I don't understand why some companies pay for intellectual property and they use nothing but the name. Like the new teen wolf has nothing to do with Michel J. Fox partying his way into teen acceptance. I though MP was a good movie but it sold itself as something it wasn't.

Azuaron:

Secondly, how did Uwe Boll not make it into this debate? .

they are talking about movie adaptations, not CIA torture methods.

------------------------

this is the first no right answer where i really could not give a right answer.

edit

ok, that was great, but two things: how could you forget house of the dead (an adaptation that had NOTHING to do with the game besides the fact that there was a house, and dead people). And the first Mortal Kombat movie was probably the best game adaptation movie i've ever seen, because it was not only faithful to the game's weird assed plot; but ended up causing the game's plot to be retconed to fit with the movie more

...but yeah that second one was a steaming pile of awful

This went a LOT better than the other 3-person debate.

Well, maybe it went a lot worse, because you never really got started...

But this one was funnier to watch. ^^

I think we can all agree that most video game movie adaptions are shit, with the exception of the very few which are passable (Silent Hill springs to mind).

You know, this actually reminds me of this video:

"Well, you know, Teemo is the best right now..."

Oh no you didn't just put MK on your list. Come on!

I loved this episode. I kept breaking out laughing as you kept constantly updating the title card (complete with crossed out previous entries). At first, I just figured you were going to change once or twice, or end up deciding that all (or at least most) Video Game adaptations are the Worst of All Time. But it seems you were making a point. And it was a valid point, too, I'd say. We can all interject our own opinions on every topic, but sometimes you just have to set some ground rules.

Hopefully, Dan recovers from his Kryptonian hyper sleep in time to judge or participate in the next debate.

Oh, and while I'm sure others have mentioned it, Chris was pretty hard to hear there a few times. Like at the end.

You guys say UWE BOLL and I think of the spoofs Black20 did once upon a time:

misterprickly:
Best episode ever!!!

But I would have added...
-King of Fighters
-Bloodrayne
-Alone in the Dark
-Silent Hill

or any thing else that Uwe Bol has touched.

Refresh my memory... Did they eve do a "Game based movies VS movie based games" debate yet?

SH: Let's pick the plot of 1, the monsters of 2, the female protagonist of 3 (?????) and we should get at least as good a reception as 4 :(

So many there were so bad, exept the original resident evil. It was bad, but...look what they did after.

Vortigar:
King, meet Kula, Kula, King...

Hi King! :D

I really liked the Super Mario Borthers movie. It was... Silly. In a good way.

Oh wait random change.... i really liked the Mortal Combat movie :D

WAIT, NO, Subject change.... The Resident Evil movies weren't terrible...

Ugh, another change? -___- another? Its like im watching a conversation Between Sheogorath and his newly made "Mad Clone" Sheogorath. I was expecting someone to yell "CHEESE, FOR EVERYONE~!" about halfway through.

How did Doom not make it the list?

RJ Dalton:
"We're doing worst?"

Why are you surprised? You couldn't do a best video game adaptation. There would have to be a good one first.

Its probably not the best choice by any means, but Prince of Persia.

rhizhim:

Azuaron:

Secondly, how did Uwe Boll not make it into this debate? .

they are talking about movie adaptations, not CIA torture methods...

You just made my day at 9:04 AM. Well done!

OT: This was your best work yet. Can we have more like this please?

This should have been The FP vs House of the Dead.

Probably the best one of these that I've seen. I actually laughed as opposed to smiled or agreed with one side or another.

Bullshit. Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat are both amazing if you were 13 when they came out, which I was. Amazing. I say good day sirs. But the rest stink out loud.

GamemasterAnthony:
No mention of TOMB RAIDER?!?

Well...in all fairness, Jolie actually DID look like Lara Croft, BUT STILL...

A hot woman of British heritage goes to several forsaken locations and shoots people/things until she discovers a super duper powerful artifact.

Yeah, I think Tomb Raider is the most faithful VG to movie adaptation... which is kind of sad when you think about it.

Doom... just Doom...

This video taught me something important-

Unless you're a huge fan with a good budget to make a movie off a video game, do not even try. Way to many good titles go sour because some person thinks, "Hey this game is quite the popular catch of this year.. let's make a movie based off it!" But they don't have the passion for it so whatever they researched about the video game they just go with that.

Now someday they will make a great movie off a video game but for now.. it's just- aright movies but most are pretty bad no wonder they kept coming up on the list where some had to be changed in color for us to see lol.

Just wait until the Mass Effect movie.

Best. Episode. Ever.

Final Fantasy Spirits within wasn't supposed to be an adaptation, it was another entry into the franchise: new setting, new characters, etc. It kept the traditional things like Cid, Chocobos, hell, it even had a videogame like quest structure: travel to various locations to collect things. I think people are just still upset because they were going in expecting to see Cloud or something.

Not much of a debate, but goddamn that was hilarious!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here