More Mail

Pages 1 2 NEXT

More Mail

MovieBob answers more of your questions.

Read Full Article

What about the rest of what she said? Helper more or less indicated that teh wimminz don't have time to play games because they're too busy making teh baybayz n gettin da sammiches.

I have no problem with her wanting to be part of a family in that specific way, but associating it with women at large as a reason women don't play games and games shouldn't NEED be played....

Plus, I doubt Miyamoto ever said he dislike the playing games portion of his career. You specified recreational gaming, which Helper to my knowledge never did.

Qualified responses.

(Edited to add a word in...Stupid context fail on my end)

As much as I hate to pummel a dead horse, Hepler was an atrocious writer. I honestly feel that the razorfist vlog describes this best, and he doesn't even make a fat joke:

Just for the record, the most commonly cited inciting incident of the Brony culture is the response to an unnecessarily alarmist post on the popular animation culture blog Cartoon Brew, decrying the end of the era of Creator-Driven cartoons in television, which is odd, as most people had already been referring to Creator-Driven era (usually associated with "Ren and Stimpy", "Dexter's Lab", "Powerpuff Girls", "Beavis and Butthead", "South Park", etc.) in the past-tense for some time before the article came out. The popular story is that people on 4Chan's cartoon board, after reading the article, decided to check out the show on a lark, and actually found it wasn't terrible.

Here's the article: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/the-end-of-the-creator-driven-era.html

deathbydeath:
As much as I hate to pummel a dead horse, Hepler was an atrocious writer. I honestly feel that the razorfist vlog describes this best, and he doesn't even make a fat joke:

Fixed your embed link

OT: Your pitch for a movie kinda reminds me of what i think M Night Shyamalan was probably going for with Lady in the Water

Although your film would probably be at least 9 times better.

Zachary Amaranth:
What about the rest of what she said? Helper more or less indicated that teh wimminz don't have time to play games because they're too busy making teh baybayz n gettin da sammiches.

I have no problem with her wanting to be part of a family in that specific way, but associating it with women at large as a reason women don't play games and games shouldn't NEED be played....

Plus, I doubt Miyamoto ever said he dislike the playing games portion of his career. You specified recreational gaming, which Helper to my knowledge never did.

Qualified responses.

uh... when did she say SHE SPOKE FOR ALL WOMEN? she said 'as a mother'...

Windknight:

So it's alright if she speaks for all mothers (and implicitly "game-shames" mothers who play)?

Windknight:

Zachary Amaranth:

Qualified responses.

Not to mention ME3 has a story mode, so what everyone was fearing now actually exist. And enjoy the silence of no one caring.

please tell me where in the me 3 credits it shows Heplers contribution?

Oh, and how is letting someone choosing to play it as combat lite hurting you? is it somehow stealing your gaming experience away?

craddoke:

Windknight:

So it's alright if she speaks for all mothers (and implicitly "game-shames" mothers who play)?

so its alright for you to put words she didn't say in her mouth, and then damn her for them?

I like your theory on why My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is so popular! ;)

I love this comment

When exactly did death become so taboo a topic for kids?

When American parents decided that television was a babysitter and began making the same requests one makes of a real babysitter: "Don't tell my child things about life, death, sex, etc., that I might not be ready to tell them." Makers of children's entertainment are depressingly well aware that parents want their kids' books/games/shows to be safe, and that safe means it won't do anything other than keep them out of my hair for an hour or so.

As a parent myself, I can't understand how parents use the TV as a baby sitter. I am equially mesmerised by the overparenting and "helicopter" parenting developed in the 90s and naughts.
Thanks, Bob

MovieBob:
More Mail

Read Full Article

Obviously the best Venture Brothers character is The Sovereign, I mean who could make a better villain than David Bowie?

artanis_neravar:

MovieBob:
More Mail

Read Full Article

Obviously the best Venture Brothers character is The Sovereign, I mean who could make a better villain than David Bowie?

"The guy from Labyrinth turned into a bird!"

:D

I also think that another (but not the only) reason My Little Pony got so popular was because its creator worked on Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, both of which had a strong older fanbase.

Also, a best Venture Brother's list without Brock Samson on it? Frankly, I'm insulted.

artanis_neravar:

MovieBob:
More Mail

Read Full Article

I was thinking the same thing! He's the best villain/anti-hero/ vigilante ever! He's sexy, badass, and a great musician!

I dont know what she writes or how good she is but before this I hadnt heard of Hepler. What happened was appaling and I cant believe this wasnt made a bigger issue. Its just ridiculous. Its truly indescribable how bad this is not only how bad it is in general but to have this come from our own community as well and then have very little to no press made about it is simply vile.

That third question told me that my question wasn't getting answered in the article but told me the answer to it any way.

I get the idea the answer to my question would have been that Moviebob has little intention of making his own little indie movie like so many online personalities (blip stars are making them, youtube stars already have, even ex Escapist talent Hank and Jed are finalizing) have been doing.

MovieBob:
As for how it got noticed by the older male audience in the first place, I have to wonder if U.S. fans would've found it had it not been running on a cable channel that courted that audience by running retro toons like G.I. Joe and Transformers. Just a theory, though.

That's probably part of it - the hubbub surrounding the Hub prior to its launch must have been pretty considerable among the animation-fan community both for the specific shows it was going to be airing and for the fact that it was a brand-new channel devoted to animated programming in general - but the other big thing is how widely available it was made through YouTube. Almost every other current TV show has an army of lawyers mashing Refresh on YouTube to try to find pirated episodes and take them down less than 24 hours after they're posted, but Hasbro didn't care enough. When the lawyers did finally swoop in, it was practically as an afterthought and only after everyone and his dog had seen it.

Zachary Amaranth:

Qualified responses.

So you are saying that it was OK to send her death threats because she said that? Actually, I'm not even asking that. That is what you are saying, but I just want to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you aren't very good at expressing yourself.

Zachary Amaranth:

Except that isn't at all what she said.

She suggested that certain busy people (like, say, her, a busy mother) might enjoy different settings than the "hardcore" gamer crowd.

Which is TRUE.

I play most games on Casual because I don't have the time to repeat levels after getting repeatedly killed by them. There are too many great games I want to play, and I have too little time in which to play them. The new Deux Ex game is sitting unplayed on my shelf because, between Skyrim and ME3, I haven't had time to play it.

There are games that have terrible game play but good - even great - stories (looking at you Xenosaga 2). I don't want to suffer through playing Xenosaga 2 again to see it's amazing story. In fact, I was sort of hoping for one of those DVDs with all the cut scenes on it - sadly not provided with the Xenosaga 3 preorder.

Having easy difficulty settings on games is vital to someone like me enjoying the game. I won't ever play Demons' Souls or Dark Souls because of overly difficult gameplay. However, if those games had an option to adjust the difficulty or skip over difficult encounters, I might consider picking them up.

That's the thing - providing more options to players is never bad. Adding difficulty settings or skip options doesn't force you to use them. You can still play on Hardcore Ultra Hard if you like - I'd rather play on Easy or skip certain sections if I choose. And if I like playing the game, or if I have the time, then I won't skip.

Also, in games I like and have played a lot (like Mass Effect) I will often up the difficulty for replays. Why? Because, when replaying, I obviously have time, and I am often back for the gameplay rather than the story.

Or, in ME3's case, the Multiplayer. I just got into Gold recently. Holy crap, that's fun, in a masochistic sort of way.

So yeah - I play the single player on Casual, and the Multiplayer on Gold. Why? Because I want the story to happen quickly, without annoying interruptions, but I want the multiplayer to be a fun challenge that is satisfying to overcome. Different desires for different situations.

Shore-Leave steals every scene he's in.

It might be a little late for this, but here goes:
Bob,
do you speak some japanese? If so, how much?

Silly Bob, everyone knows the best Venture Bros. character is Knife Bear.

I am not overly surprised that Bobs inner nintendo fanboy came out in this.

rancher of monsters:
Silly Bob, everyone knows the best Venture Bros. character is Knife Bear.

How neat that the clip for your pick (which is quite valid) would include the ACTUAL best V.B. character: BRICKFROG!

I really should give Friendship is Magic a look, but I'm still catching up on Adventure Time, and I just started Doctor Who on Netflix (not to mention my family's rewatching of Fraiser), so it will probably be a while.

Also, I actually own all 16 volumes of Cerebus. I can totally relate with being put off by Dave Sim's views on politics (gender and otherwise), which is a real shame considering his talent otherwise for plotting and character development throughout roughly the first 2/3rds of the series (High Society being the early yet undeniable peak).

Who is David Sim?

deathbydeath:

Um... yes he does. He doesn't make a direct fat joke, but the simple fact that he gives such nods to them is telling (such as two cases where he basically says "insert fat joke here"). Not to mention that he's part of the ignorant masses who doesn't even know what she wrote. He spends the whole time ranting and raving about Mass Effect's story, and... guess what? I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: *Whispering* She never worked on Mass Effect.

Oh also? He completely misses the point on top of that all. Maybe she's a bad writer, maybe she's a phenomenal writer: that still doesn't excuse the backlash she received. Hell, the simple fact that her "bad writing" ONLY got publicity based on the fact that she isn't a gamer is just PROOF that people don't know what the hell they're talking about. All they saw was "not a gamer" and it doesn't matter if she painted the Mona Lisa, they'd be ranting and raving that she should never have held a brush in the first place.

WhiteTigerShiro:

deathbydeath:

Um... yes he does. He doesn't make a direct fat joke, but the simple fact that he gives such nods to them is telling (such as two cases where he basically says "insert fat joke here").

Plus the title directly refers to the name given to her in the first reddit post, which was a direct attack on her weight.

Windknight:

uh... when did i say SHE SAID SHE SPOKE FOR ALL WOMEN?

Note the language used. It's important.

craddoke:

Evidently.

Revolutionaryloser:

So you are saying that it was OK to send her death threats because she said that? Actually, I'm not even asking that. That is what you are saying, but I just want to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you aren't very good at expressing yourself.

No, and I'm not even sure how you got there from here.

Bara_no_Hime:

If you're a woman, especially a mother, with dinner to prepare, kids' homework to help with, and a lot of other demands on your time, you don't need a game to be 100 hours long to hold your interest

It goes on, but she's not saying "I'm a woman and I don't want to do this," she speaks to the demands on a woman's time. She does say "especially as a mother," but we're talking continued indications that women operate in a certain faculty. She speaks broadly and generally, and even a qualifier of "especially a mother" hardly serves to stop that. At best, she's speaking generally and broadly about a smaller group, but oddly enough, mothers are still a wonderfully diverse and complex group of people.

Pretty much ALL of this comment is predicated on the above.

Sorry.

Bob doesn't even cover all of what she said specifically related to gaming, let alone this.

FelixG:

Does it ever go away?

Eric the Orange:

FelixG:

Does it ever go away?

-le sigh- Not really, no...But it is easier to ignore at times than others.

Zachary Amaranth:

Windknight:

uh... when did i say SHE SAID SHE SPOKE FOR ALL WOMEN?

Note the language used. It's important.

craddoke:

Evidently.

Revolutionaryloser:

No, and I'm not even sure how you got there from here.

Bara_no_Hime:

If you're a woman, especially a mother, with dinner to prepare, kids' homework to help with, and a lot of other demands on your time, you don't need a game to be 100 hours long to hold your interest

It goes on, but she's not saying "I'm a woman and I don't want to do this," she speaks to the demands on a woman's time. She does say "especially as a mother," but we're talking continued indications that women operate in a certain faculty. She speaks broadly and generally, and even a qualifier of "especially a mother" hardly serves to stop that. At best, she's speaking generally and broadly about a smaller group, but oddly enough, mothers are still a wonderfully diverse and complex group of people.

Sorry.

Bob doesn't even cover all of what she said specifically related to gaming, let alone this.

she is using her OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE to ilustrate HER OPINION.

Zachary Amaranth:

your very line seems to imply by stating her opinion based on her experiences, she's somehow saying it for all women, or by stating it as a mother craddoke decides she's talking for all mothers, or trying to shame gaming moms who don't share her opinion or inclinations.

you are both putting words in her mouth, then acting like she was in the wrong for saying things SHE DID NOT SAY.

Windknight:

WhiteTigerShiro:

deathbydeath:

Um... yes he does. He doesn't make a direct fat joke, but the simple fact that he gives such nods to them is telling (such as two cases where he basically says "insert fat joke here").

Plus the title directly refers to the name given to her in the first reddit post, which was a direct attack on her weight.

He was mainly referring to the backlash against her on reddit and /v/, hence the reference in the title.

WhiteTigerShiro:

deathbydeath:

Um... yes he does. He doesn't make a direct fat joke, but the simple fact that he gives such nods to them is telling (such as two cases where he basically says "insert fat joke here"). Not to mention that he's part of the ignorant masses who doesn't even know what she wrote. He spends the whole time ranting and raving about Mass Effect's story, and... guess what? I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: *Whispering* She never worked on Mass Effect.

Oh also? He completely misses the point on top of that all. Maybe she's a bad writer, maybe she's a phenomenal writer: that still doesn't excuse the backlash she received. Hell, the simple fact that her "bad writing" ONLY got publicity based on the fact that she isn't a gamer is just PROOF that people don't know what the hell they're talking about. All they saw was "not a gamer" and it doesn't matter if she painted the Mona Lisa, they'd be ranting and raving that she should never have held a brush in the first place.

He said that the attacks on her "self-evident obesity and roseanne barr good looks" were "inexcusably childish". And for the most part he was decrying the direction of Bioware franchises as a whole, even stating "I understand that the series' general creative direction is not her fault."
And for the record, he said he was about to make a fat joke, but then stopped because he didn't want to be comparable to the reddit/4chan threads that he himself is denouncing

Zachary Amaranth:

Bara_no_Hime:

Um, I'm really confused because the text from her that you quoted supports my comment, not yours. She said "if you are a woman in this hypothetical situation" - and it's just that, a hypothetical situation. It happens to be her situation.

No where does she say that this is the proper place for a woman - she merely says that if you are in this situation, then you might prefer the same options as she does.

If a man was in the same hypothetical situation, he might like those options as well.

If she was saying that women should be in this situation, then she'd be wrong. But she is saying that many women (often more than men) are in this situation. That just means she understands the real world isn't the world we want it to be just yet.

Edit: Oh, and I can tell it's a hypothetical because of her sentence structure. Let's break down the sentence, shall we?

"If you're a woman, especially a mother, with dinner to prepare, kids' homework to help with, and a lot of other demands on your time," - this is a dependent clause. See that "if" at the beginning - that's how you tell. This is a "if/then" sentence. If the statement before the noun is true, then the statement after may be true.

"you don't need a game to be 100 hours long to hold your interest" - and there's the actual sentence. In the above situation, this may be true. You can tell the sentence begins here because this is where the main noun is. There are some prepositional phrases there at the end ("to be 100 hours long" and "to hold your interest" respectively) that add additional information.

Ain't grammar wonderful?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or