Escape to the Movies: The Hunger Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I love the original title that MovieBob offers.

Im off to see this in about....an hour.

Maybe I shouldnt of watched this review, I'll be going into it with an expectation of crapiness now :(

I thought your review was funnier than usual, very ZP-ish. Do this more often.

As for the movie itself, I've read books, thought they were pretty good and I'm seeing it with my sister tomorrow. I hope I'll disagree with you, Bob. Fingers crossed.

Hoplon:
Yeah, after reading the books while bored (they are really short to some one with any sort of decent reading speed) this film was doomed from the outset since it had fuck all chance of being as actually brutal as it needed to be.

I agree. That's the problem I have with age restriction for movies, games, books etcetera, it's false protection. If I was the producer, I would've told the director to keep the brutality, while still begging MPAA for a PG-13 rating. Because sometimes, minors need to witness the brutality our world has to offer.

I don't know if there's any scientific reports stating that children are psychologically harmed from witnessing sex, nudity, violence, gore or profanity. At least not if it's staged or simulated. So I can't really see any reason for the restrictions to still be present.

If anything, parents should be educated in how to present their kids to all the 'dangers' out there in the real world. Telling them kids why people kill, harm, hate and fornicate.

I tend to agree with Bob on movies 90% of the time, but when we disagree, we really disagree. Guess I'll find out on Sunday which way it will go. Though I suspect being a fan of the books, I might be more charitable.

CronoT:
At least Eragon had the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy motif to fall back on. This is just an inferior copy of several much better ideas.

Most unintentionally hilarious thing I've read all day. Cheers.

chaosyoshimage:
Pretty much every other review I've seen for this has said it's amazing. Hopefully, I'll get to see it soon and can form my own opinion. Of course, I was pretty sure Bob wouldn't like this back before it came out. I'm sure Amazing Spider-Man will be the same way. I like critics I disagree with, but I hope everyone doesn't just blindly follow his opinion.

For a second take, I'd suggest HitFix or io9's review of the movie, don't just take Bob's word for it. I see that kind of thing way too much on his and Yahtzee's videos.

There's also Roger Ebert Americas most beloved film critic.
Mr. Ebert gave the film 3 stars, but if you read the review he seems more indifferent towards the movie which makes me wonder why he didn't give it 2 stars.

Bob, while I usually agree with you on everything, you like Tim and Eric, so your opinion on movies is pretty invalid.

BR was still better though.

So had no idea what this movie was even supposed to be about (well done, marketing campaign) and now that I know, I really don't care. Also, having a main character called Katniss is just begging people to call her Catpiss. Seriously, I couldn't stop thinking that throughout the video.

Just checked Cabin in the Woods trailer and it looks awful, but I'll keep an eye on it since you insist it's worth it. I hope you're right. I see the potential for it not sucking, but I'm a bit cynical about... umm... everything nowadays.

PunkRex:

canadamus_prime:
Oh boy, it's going to be Eragorn all over again.

Oh christ! I hated that film, my sister enjoyed the books and the slowly deteriorating look on her face as that bloody movie went on depressed the hell out of me. I mean the guy had a two week long swordsmanship course and gained the skill to leap off a swooping dragon, land on a firey bat demon and slay the warlock guy riding it... I mean bloody hell I just about learn't how to use photoshop in three weeks!

I actually watched the Nostalgia Chick reveiw for this last night and she seemed to enjoy it although I suppose shes more in its target demographic. Its good to have variety.

Catfish Jellybean, I wee'd a little Bob! Expect my cleaning bill.

I actually liked the Eragorn film, granted I have never read the books. No, it's the backlash from the fans that annoyed the living fuck out of me.

artanis_neravar:

canadamus_prime:

Not true, the movie followed the books extremely well.

O Rly?

wooty:
Im off to see this in about....an hour.

Maybe I shouldnt of watched this review, I'll be going into it with an expectation of crapiness now :(

Sometimes pessimism can be a good thing. If you go in expecting crappiness and enjoy it, it'll seem that much better. If you go in expecting brilliance and it doesn't live up to it, you're bound to be disappointed.

canadamus_prime:

artanis_neravar:

canadamus_prime:

O Rly?

It's not clear which book and which movie that quote refers to.

For everyone bringing out the RT score as if that somehow refutes Bob's opinion, that's an aggregate of how many critics were favorable to the film, not an indication of how much the critics liked it. The average rating is 7.2 there and Metacritic's score is 68. Probably still better than what I think Bob would give it numerically, but not by much.

Maybe they could set this on an island in which the compulsion to rebel and try and defy the masters is overruled by some sort of definite solution on their part, say an explosive collar. And why televise it at all? Surely they realize it just pisses people of and makes people train for it, do it in secret to get that big fascist "We are more powerful than you and never forget it" boner without all the drama. Keep it a dark rumor.

Why even bother with the format and random changes? Doesn't that just give the players more chance of turning the game and make the experience less of a power play? If you can just change everything at random there is no game since the rules are fluid. Just set up a situation, keep the rules in place and let the kids murder each-other without the chance of grandstanding or any other bullshit.

If only a movie like that existed already... hmmmm...

canadamus_prime:

PunkRex:

canadamus_prime:

Oh christ! I hated that film, my sister enjoyed the books and the slowly deteriorating look on her face as that bloody movie went on depressed the hell out of me. I mean the guy had a two week long swordsmanship course and gained the skill to leap off a swooping dragon, land on a firey bat demon and slay the warlock guy riding it... I mean bloody hell I just about learn't how to use photoshop in three weeks!

I actually watched the Nostalgia Chick reveiw for this last night and she seemed to enjoy it although I suppose shes more in its target demographic. Its good to have variety.

I actually liked the Eragorn film, granted I have never read the books. No, it's the backlash from the fans that annoyed the living fuck out of me.

artanis_neravar:

canadamus_prime:

O Rly?

Hunger Games not Eragon. And yes Hunger Games followed the book better than any other movie adaption I can think of

I saw a screening of this last week and was not impressed in the slightest. Some of the adult acting talent is having fun with the premise and costumes, Tucci and Harrelson in particular. The lead female has the acting chops to pull this kind of stuff off (see her performance in Winters Bone)

However all the rest of the moppets out to kill each other are not even caricitures of anything, their just fodder in every sense of the word. The reason Battle Royale was so impactful was because when the kids got killed the film had allowed you to see enough of their former lives that you could fill in the blanks yourself. The kids that formed a mini familty in the lighthouse, the ones that saw it as a Zero Sum game regardless of their high school cliques.

In summary, some fun performances and some interesting costume design (very Vivienne Westwood) but coupled with crap graphics, one dimensional characters and lame ass story telling.

Its also less fun than the Running man and a vastly inferior film to Battle Royale, however it will make millions and thats that

1:33 Time to put on my troll top hat! :D (seriously, it's the same setup)
Might still see it for archery :P

i havent heard of the books or the movie before this.. to me it looks like a weird teenager mix of the running man and the story of theseus and the minotaur..

quick look on wiki reveals "The Greek myth of Theseus served as basis for the story" sounds like they should of stuck with the original story

This was funny (especially the alternate name for the hunger games) but I have a small question.

What exactly does Bob expect the movie to sound like? I mean aren't most movies set in the future still using present day English? I know language changes over time, but what does Bob want to see? Nonsensical future slang, subtitles? What?

Maybe this is blind optimism, but I can't help but think that that having read the books, I can fill in the missing bits and end up with a complete movie. I loved the books, so I suspect that I don't need it to stand up on its own.

Also, have you heard kids names these days? Have you seen how rapidly culture is evolving? Id be surprised if in 40 years, Katniss doesn't like a extremely normal name. At least it is close to, "Kat".

I haven't laughed at a review like this in a long time lol. Loved the Harvey Birdman shout out.

No one other than the raving fans is saying that the movie or the books is groundbreaking, huge or a superior example of their mediums.

They're entertaining. Entertaining and is competent enough to not make you worry for the younger generation when they see or read it. You really have to have to dig for something to actively flame it for; even if you didn't personally enjoy it, it is at the very least average.

The movie is thing that exists. Its not groundbreaking, its not absolutely horrible, it is faithful to the book, all the problems with the movie you should have already been expecting, and its not hurting anyone.

varmintx:
For everyone bringing out the RT score as if that somehow refutes Bob's opinion, that's an aggregate of how many critics were favorable to the film, not an indication of how much the critics liked it. The average rating is 7.2 there and Metacritic's score is 68. Probably still better than what I think Bob would give it numerically, but not by much.

I prefer that to an average. Having an idea of how many critics would recommend it is far more useful than an average of their assigned scores.

Fortunately, I've read the book before I saw the movie so I knew what I was in for. The book is alright. Not great, but a pretty good read. It's the very definition of a page turner and Stephen King's review where he likens it to an arcade coin-op machine (you can't help popping those quarters) is accurate. It's pretty lacking in substance, but the author succeeded in creating a convincing world, and the action scenes which made up the vast majority of the book was so well done that I couldn't help but speed read the entire book in a day.

The movie was just alright. Some of the important characters like Rue felt rushed as if the director didn't have time and interesting facets of the book like Katniss pretending to be in love with Peeta to win sponsors goes woefully unexplained. It's difficult when most of the book is told from her thoughts as this gets awkwardly translated on film. She just gives the audiences weird looks now and then, and my brother who had not read the book told me afterwards how confusing her actions were.

I enjoyed the film, but it wasn't that great. I felt like it could have been improved if they took another 30 minutes, but hey, I like my movies long.

Here's to one some hollywood mogul finally makes the Abhorsen trilogy or Monster Blood Tattoo into a movie. Need a new, original fantasy to hold Harry Potter's place? LOOK NO FURTHER!

Shaky cam, stupid evil. Good points, good lists of movies borrowed from.
Funny reviews are usually more entertaining than unfunny reviews.
I would like to say I like this review.

artanis_neravar:

canadamus_prime:

PunkRex:

artanis_neravar:

O Rly?

Hunger Games not Eragon. And yes Hunger Games followed the book better than any other movie adaption I can think of

I know which one you meant. Do you really think that matters? I still foresee torrents of outraged fans decrying it because it didn't live up to their personal (and extremely outrageous) expectations.

This is an example of what is wrong with both modern cinema and modern novels. Super successful monolithic franchises with deluded and fanatical fan bases hoovering up all the attention and shutting out smaller properties because of the sheer sensationalism behind them.

I did not like the book. I didn't like the movie. They are both mediocre. they both make me wish i was watching or reading something superior. The whole "Reality TV satire" thing has been done before, i REALLY wish people would stop acting like this is a new idea. We've been doing this since 2001's contenders. Hell TV has done it better, check out Charlie Brooker's chilling satire "15 Million Credits". THAT nails it. Hunger games does not.

Aside from that bob is dead right, the movie looks downright cheap. Its that kind of slick, over applied filters cheap that i hate the most. Think Battlefield Earth or Highlander; Endgame but nowhere near as bad.

Honestly i don't get it. Where is this hype coming from?

Having read the books because I knew that it would take me all of ten minutes or so [/hyperbole], I feel like the setting has mild potential, but this is definitely going to be a "rent" movie, rather than a "shell out large numbers of my dollars at a theater" movie. Now if you want to start adapting more books for the big screen, I'd be much happier with either the Dresden Files or Snow Crash. Just saying.

That's too bad, not knowing anything about the source material, I was hoping this would be good! But for fans of the film who feel the need to punish Bob for his honesty, remember it is just his opinion! And the inevitable rubbishness of The Avengers will be punishment enough!

canadamus_prime:

artanis_neravar:

canadamus_prime:

O Rly?

I know which one you meant. Do you really think that matters? I still foresee torrents of outraged fans decrying it because it didn't live up to their personal (and extremely outrageous) expectations.

Yes, it does matter, because the fans actually like it.

The running man! Thanks, i have been trying to remember the name of the film for a month :D

This movie? Mhee, i couldn't care less about it after seeing the review.

artanis_neravar:

canadamus_prime:

artanis_neravar:

I repeat, o rly?

Oh good, that means I don't have to go see it to tell me that it's no better than the books. Don't get me wrong the series has some good ideas, but I just couldn't get into them, they read like a piece of fanfiction. A good piece , but fan fiction none the less.

canadamus_prime:

artanis_neravar:

canadamus_prime:

I repeat, o rly?

Yes they did, my source? The 5 full movie theaters of fans at midnight last night who all loved it, the 19.7 million dollars it made last night and the 95% Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score.

I saw it last night at midnight and I pretty much have the same feelings about it. The biggest deal breaker for me when it came to this movie was the editing. I haven't seen such poor camera work in a fight scene since Batman Begins.

artanis_neravar:

canadamus_prime:

artanis_neravar:

I repeat, o rly?

Yes they did, my source? The 5 full movie theaters of fans at midnight last night who all loved it, the 19.7 million dollars it made last night and the 95% Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score.

Well colour me surprised. Of course those numbers still don't discount the possibility for Internet hate.

canadamus_prime:

artanis_neravar:

canadamus_prime:

I repeat, o rly?

Well colour me surprised. Of course those numbers still don't discount the possibility for Internet hate.

That's true, there will be some hate just like everything

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or