Escape to the Movies: The Hunger Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I have to disagree there Bob.

I haven't read the books and I know that the premise is just like Battle Royal, The Condemned etc. etc. but I saw the movie last night and I enjoyed it a lot.

In fact the only thing I didn't really like was the shaky-cam action scenes (but it was necessary to fit in the rating because it is pretty violent).

Also the premise is just completely unrealistic (really? they all agreed to let their young sons and daughters names be pulled out of a jar for a battle to the death?) but hey it's a movie so it can get away with that.

However I still thoroughly enjoyed it because it has a better story than all the other 'battle royal' style movies. It's a bit stupid having them all start off 2m away from each other though...that just leads to half the people being killed in the first minute of combat. Exciting start for the viewers but then there's nothing for ages, the winners of the 1st battle get the weapons, the others hide in the jungle (which is what I would be doing lol).

Actually it would be stupid to run for the weapons first...ANYTHING can be a weapon. he's got a sword? throw a fucking rock at him!

I enjoyed the movie and disagree with your opinion Bob (there are only a couple of occasions where I do that, Captain America being one you over-hyped to the extreme)

theSteamSupported:

If I was the producer, I would've told the director to keep the brutality, while still begging MPAA for a PG-13 rating. Because sometimes, minors need to witness the brutality our world has to offer.

That didn't really work out for the guys who made the documentary "Bully". It got and R Rating because apparently the profanity, violence, and torture that kids experience every day is too brutal for their innocent minds to handle. -facepalm-

CommanderKirov:

Gilhelmi:
Here lies the MovieBob.

OT: I am sad too hear that the movie did not live up to the books. I honestly think that the books are going to be the next great 1984

Whatever you ever say about anything ever. Do not compare The Hunger Games to George Orwell's work. It's like calling Mayer the Stoker of this generation.

And on the topic of movie, yeah I think I'll be better off with watching the Blue-Ray release of Battle Royale.

I like Gorge Orwell, he was brilliant. But the Hunger Games is the best book too come out, for this genre, in many many years.

Oh, sure, The Grey's a no-no, but this they'll show in my local cinema.
Anyway, a word on Cabin in the Woods. First of all the poster looked really interesting, but then when I started watching the trailer I thought: "Oh, this is just another generic horror movie." Then I saw the techno-fence thing and the secret lab and I was kind of intrigued. But what really hit it home for me was this:

"Hey, we should split up," says the first guy.
"Good idea," says the second guy.
*Awkward pause*
"Really?!" says the third guy.

I'm not saying that the entire movie has to be a parody of the horror genre to be good, but a nice little line like that sure shows refinement in the writing. So I took a look at who the writer was and found out that it was co-written by Joss Whedon, the same guy who wrote the screenplays for Toy Story and The Avengers, which is probably one of the reasons why MovieBob is all excited about this one.
So, yeah, sciency setting and good writing, two things horror movies never have enough of in my opinion, so this is definately one to keep an eye out for.

Darren716:
I am so glad that this movie ended up theway it did because it renforces my theory that when somthing gets as popular as this before it's release it will be a dissapointment. Also I'm glad that I'll be able to gloat to my friends who went to see this movie and thought it was going to be the second coming about me judging a movie correctly before it was even released.

Translation: I'm annoyingly cynical, and I find great pleasure when other people are dissapointed by things that they anticipate. One of my favorite hobbies is judging a popular movie as stupid because it attracts a large audience, and then laughing at all of my friends that I deem inferior because they were excited for it. This makes me feel very good about myself even though I accomplished nothing by doing so.

Zenron:
I would like to hope that this will be a time where I actually think moviebob is wrong about a film, but that generally doesn't happen that often.

-cough cough- GI JOE -cough cough-

Dangit2019:

Still haven't seen that, have absolutely no motivation to do so either.

Zenron:

Dangit2019:

Still haven't seen that, have absolutely no motivation to do so either.

Yeah...it's probably not worth it...

SwimmingRock:
So had no idea what this movie was even supposed to be about (well done, marketing campaign) and now that I know, I really don't care. Also, having a main character called Katniss is just begging people to call her Catpiss. Seriously, I couldn't stop thinking that throughout the video.

Just checked Cabin in the Woods trailer and it looks awful, but I'll keep an eye on it since you insist it's worth it. I hope you're right. I see the potential for it not sucking, but I'm a bit cynical about... umm... everything nowadays.

Yeah, I thought the same thing at first, but between it having the whole "science lab experimenting on young adults" and it being written by Joss Whedon, I can see how it deserves a chance. After all, there have been good American horror movies. They're few and far between, true, but they do exist.

Would've been great if they filmed it in my home county slightly above its filming location. Lots of mountains and streams instead of generic forest which constitutes most of Western North Carolina.

As for the actual movie if you like it just go see it; for older people who've seen Running Man, Roller Ball, and Battle Royale save your money...

CommanderKirov:

Gilhelmi:
Here lies the MovieBob.

OT: I am sad too hear that the movie did not live up to the books. I honestly think that the books are going to be the next great 1984

Whatever you ever say about anything ever. Do not compare The Hunger Games to George Orwell's work. It's like calling Mayer the Stoker of this generation.

And on the topic of movie, yeah I think I'll be better off with watching the Blue-Ray release of Battle Royale.

If only because Beat Takeshi is completely AWESOME

Dangit2019:

Darren716:
I am so glad that this movie ended up theway it did because it renforces my theory that when somthing gets as popular as this before it's release it will be a dissapointment. Also I'm glad that I'll be able to gloat to my friends who went to see this movie and thought it was going to be the second coming about me judging a movie correctly before it was even released.

Translation: I'm annoyingly cynical, and I find great pleasure when other people are dissapointed by things that they anticipate. One of my favorite hobbies is judging a popular movie as stupid because it attracts a large audience, and then laughing at all of my friends that I deem inferior because they were excited for it. This makes me feel very good about myself even though I accomplished nothing by doing so.

My god your right I just realised how mush an asshole I must seem to people, I quess I'm just too cynical because I feel that I'm better than a majority of the people I see everyday who seem to be going no where. Thanks for the quote it made me have a change of heart so that I won't be so quick to judge somthing because of how popular it is.

RickBloodaxe:
I kind of distrust Bob when he calls a movie 'mediocre' and 'ordinary.' 1) He sees A LOT of movies as a critic so naturally he sees this stuff more than the ordinary viewer, so your 'ordinary' millage may vary. 2) He said 'Captain America' was one of the best Marvel movies ever, and that couldn't have been more boring and cliche.

Sure it could've. It could have been Fantastic Four.

Schwing!

Gilhelmi:

I like Gorge Orwell, he was brilliant. But the Hunger Games is the best book too come out, for this genre, in many many years.

Science Fiction? Are you fucking kidding me?

ShadowStar42:

i64ever:
Not that it makes them right, but all the plot holes Movie Bob points out are VERY true to the book. The bad guys are all shallow and foppish. The hunger games "stadium" is never explained well, and the bad guys DO make disasters happen out of thin air. The 1st book doesn't give any visuals of the rebellion happening in the districts.

To be fair though we're dealing with a book with a non-omniscient narrator. They don't explain the Capitol society because our pov character doesn't understand Capitol society. The tech isn't explained because it's a mystery to the character as well. I'd personally much rather have sci-fi that doesn't explain something than that does in some absurd way (like a solar system with dozens of habitable worlds in Firefly or the Ansible in dozens of sci-fi stories.

That doesn't mean they can't be explained in the movie. It also doesn't mean that they should show us the limits of their control over the area. You don't have to explain it, just show us the things it can do.

From other reviews I've listened to, it seems to be a very reader-targeted movie. I haven't seen the movie (yet,) and I'm personally starting the 3rd book, and although the plot does seem interesting and has some original satirical themes, it doesn't seem to thrill me as much as most people. This is most likely due to the fact that although Katniss is a strong protagonist in the trilogy, she's always spiteful, cynical, and moody, or at least she is to me. And yeah, I would be too if I was a starving child that had to hunt all my food and constantly break the law of a tyrannical government regime just to survive, and while contending in the hunger games got to witness the indulgence of the "1%" in the Capitol. But the point still stands, for me, she's hard to like sometimes.

As far as the plot not moving anywhere in the first movie/book, they both seem to suffer from "First installment syndrome," in which the first installment of any sci-fi or fantasy series or franchise has to consist mostly of, if not all of, setting up the mythos, tone, setting, etc. It needs time to sink in as the "norm" of whatever universe the series is for, before the next installment in which plot elements start to move in more quickly and heavily. Sometimes it's a necessary evil so the plot elements can actually feel like they matter, but you can still feel it going on in that first installment that just explains how everything works, especially in young adult series' such as the Hunger Games, which can have slower pacing, lighter plots, etc. As opposed to adult-targeted series.

I unfortunately cannot say I'm terribly surprised by this. As soon as a friend of mine told me what the Tracker Jacker and Mutt scenes were like I knew it wouldn't be as good as the book and I'd had my doubts they'd change what they needed to make the book work well as a movie (the book is in first person, so that's probably why the movie stuck to Katniss a lot instead of switching sensibly to other view points like it should have for a movie transition).

If anyone here is interested in this type of story I'd suggest reading the books instead of the movie. The books are not perfect, but they're entertaining in their own way and you'll definitely get better scenes and explanations than the movie's provided.

And for the fans of the series, guys, they didn't even explain the mockingjay well enough for my friend to understand why it was such a big deal for Katniss to have that pin in the movie. Don't go in expecting something that's well done.

ShadowStar42:

i64ever:
Not that it makes them right, but all the plot holes Movie Bob points out are VERY true to the book. The bad guys are all shallow and foppish. The hunger games "stadium" is never explained well, and the bad guys DO make disasters happen out of thin air. The 1st book doesn't give any visuals of the rebellion happening in the districts.

To be fair though we're dealing with a book with a non-omniscient narrator. They don't explain the Capitol society because our pov character doesn't understand Capitol society. The tech isn't explained because it's a mystery to the character as well. I'd personally much rather have sci-fi that doesn't explain something than that does in some absurd way (like a solar system with dozens of habitable worlds in Firefly or the Ansible in dozens of sci-fi stories.

^^^^^ This. In the following books the non-omniscience of Katniss in the books comes to serve as a plot point.

Thanks for the shout-out to Battle Royal, that's the only thing I was thinking the entire review. Already been done better and more interestingly.

Also, the protagonist's name is one letter off Katpiss. I can't see that being a big naming trend in the future.

The second that I noticed that the majority of fans were young girls I knew that this was going to be another Twilight-esque novel/movie thing.

Bob thinks it's bad... Does that mean it's a good movie?

Haha, there's some humor relevant to current events...

Anywhoosiers, It looks alright I guess. I've heard some really good things about the books, and in the scheme of things, The Harry Potter movies were also pretty average if you hadn't read the books. I've heard that they're quick reads, so I might pick them up before it hits cheapy theaters.

I haven't seen the movie and will be willing to give it a netflix addy, I don't see it as something I would waste half the price of a dvd on in the theatre. I also haven't read the books. That said, I've noticed that a lot of comments that like the movie were also people that read the books. No offense, you have a biased opinion because of it. I'm not saying this is a bad thing. It's great if the movie lived up to the hype for you because you can mentally fill in the blanks.

Now, I understand that not everyone will look at a movie with the same critical eye as Bob. There are certain aspects that most of us look for in a movie that we know is based on a book, even though I haven't read it. The question I have, does the movie move me to want to read the book? A great example of this, I know it's not a movie, is The Game of Thrones television series. I've never read the books, watched the first season, I have bought all of the existing books because i'm compelled by the great story telling they did.

If a book to movie adaption has crappy filmography in places, the story is hard to understand if you haven't read the books, there are plot holes due to not reading the books....I don't want to read the books and I surely don't want to watch the movie in most cases. Harry Potter did a pretty good job, I still haven't read the books, but my wife did. For each movie we watched, there were some small holes here and there, but not enough to make me dislike watching the movies. My wife confirmed that quite a bit of the source material is there in the movies and doesn't disappoint.

So, I'll give this a rental and see if it lives up to the hype, but with the last few teenage book to movie adaptations...I'm a little wary to the quality. So far nothing has been promising.

I was hoping he was gonna review the raid or at least put something in as a stinger text, but oh well.

animehermit:

Gilhelmi:

Science Fiction? Are you fucking kidding me?

I admit, I do not have as much time as I would like to read, so I might have missed one. If you can name some good books I will look into them.

Well, if it's catering to the teen girl demographic, is it the Twilight killer it was supposed to be? I know that's a particularly low bar, there, but one is inclined to learn these things. After all, if we have a new "what's worse, watching _____, or having your eyes eaten by tiny badgers?" type setup, the internet needs to know this stuff.

canadamus_prime:
Oh boy, it's going to be Eragorn all over again.

That movie. Urgh. One of the greatest series around, and it got a movie that was the equivalent of a hurricane on a small tourist island's economy. Shame, really. A permanent skidmark on the series, unfortunately.

I have no opinion on the movie at this time (other than that the plot framework always seemed kind of stupid to me). But I enjoyed this review more than any other you've done, Bob. The snark was reminiscent of RedLetterMedia's but in a much tighter package, and that's a very good thing.

I tend to disagree with Bob here...but thats because i read the entire series and understand why they did what they did in the movie. I went into the movie with the LOWEST expectations, like I was thinking this movie was going to like the train wreck, "Eragon". I went to a pre-screening of it before the midnight release with my girlfriend, who had recently read all of the books. I thought the books were very entertaining and very well written. I enjoyed the 2nd one the most though...ANYWAYS back to the movie. I agree, the graphics not so great, it seemed like they just created a video game world, instead of making it look more realistic, plus the creatures in the movie SOOO 2005. The shaky camera I believe was supposed to instil action and confusing, I thought in some parts it was appropriate, being it has the PG-13 sticker on it, you can only show so much, but in other parts it gave me kinda a headache. They left out some key parts and the only reason I knew what was going on was because I had read the books. I did compliment them though, they threw in some parts that I didn't expect them to. As this movie follows very close to the book, I thought they did a good job of trying to stay true to the books. Lionsgate needs to put A LOT more money towards the next movie, and I can see why they didn't this time around, but Catching Fire, better be better. As for this being the next "Twilight"......Bella Swan has a personality like a brick and she's a whiny wimp. Katniss on the other hand actually (well in the BOOK she did, Jennifer Lawrence did an alright job portraying Katniss in my opinion) has some cajones. All in all I thought this was a good movie for just starting out, way better than I thought it would be, but definitely not as good as it could've been!

Thank you Bob! Your review was immensely more entertaining than the material which inspired it.

Also super awesome to see a Phil Ken Sebben Reference. Kudos good sir.

you guys realize Battle Royale wasn't the first book to introduce this kind of story, right...?

Thought the movie was bad ass and I didn't even read the book.

Frank_Sinatra_:
-

Roger Ebert tends to give everything 3 stars, it's why I don't normally trust him.

I've been trying to read the book for sometime now but every time I go to the library all copies are always checked out, I might have to wait until all the hype has gone away. And I'll agree with you Bob, the trailers don't do a really good job at telling me (someone who hasn't read the books yet) why I should care about this movie.

Hitchmeister:

wooty:
Im off to see this in about....an hour.

Maybe I shouldnt of watched this review, I'll be going into it with an expectation of crapiness now :(

Sometimes pessimism can be a good thing. If you go in expecting crappiness and enjoy it, it'll seem that much better. If you go in expecting brilliance and it doesn't live up to it, you're bound to be disappointed.

I went in with a neutral outlook and........it was very boring. Just a really really slow film.

Additional: Been to see it and...........GOOD GOD! This is one of the slowest and most boring.things ive ever seen. Im actually quite pissed off that I spent good money on this shit.

Dont believe the hype

sergnb:
you guys realize Battle Royale wasn't the first book to introduce this kind of story, right...?

Not the first to do the concept, but they do share a lot of similarities and deal with some of the same themes.

Crimsanon:
I'm gonna be completely honest: I saw this movie at midnight, and I'm probably going to go see it again with friends tonight.
I thoroughly enjoyed it, but Bob's review has given me a good dose of perspective.
It doesn't change my opinion, but it will encourage me to look at the film from a more objective angle.

I'm largely in the same boat as you Crimsanon, so I'll try to avoid repeating back what you've already said. I enjoyed it too, but I had a few personal issues with certain aspects but taking them into consideration I'd still give it a rating between a 4&5 on the 5 star scale. Unfortunately though I couldn't get the same perspective from his review as you since I stopped watching early on once his overall negative opinion became obvious and he started to blatantly mock it. Ultimately though I'm like you though and his not liking it doesn't change that I loved it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here