Jimquisition: Konami

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

F4LL3N:

It's quite saddening. All they have to do is put effort in to make a quality, original game; instead they believe the best way to make money is to rush things, treat customers like crap, and not put an ounce of thought into it--did I mention they like to blame everyone else for their problems?

its not always that simple, esepcially in any entertainment industry

Vault101:

F4LL3N:

It's quite saddening. All they have to do is put effort in to make a quality, original game; instead they believe the best way to make money is to rush things, treat customers like crap, and not put an ounce of thought into it--did I mention they like to blame everyone else for their problems?

its not always that simple, esepcially in any entertainment industry

It might not be that simple, but it can't be too hard. There's heaps of great games out there. If it's doable, then that's what they should be doing. Having a large chunk of your customer base physically hate your products and your company means you must not be following a very good business model. If it cost that much to produce a video game, what the hell are they spending it on? This business model is doomed to fail.

Its beginning to sound more like its a problem for japanesse devlopers/publishers then just a single company. people complain about Capcom, Konami and to a point Square Enix about their stupid decisions.

Konami is amongst the worst and been so for the last, what, 10 years? its amzing how they did survive that long. then again gaming is such a profitable business that this is theo nly place where you can be a total asshole and still get away with it. and people still buy those games. i wont look at the silent hill series after the 5th one, that had worse optimization than GTA4, ahrder controls than SH1, and only was scary because you never knew when the guy woudl decide to scrach his nose instead of listening to your controls and evade that nurse stab.

P.S. you talk how SH2 is the best game you ever played and catn be bothered to get its footage? (SH3 footage was shown instead). i guess you were in a hurry.

Most of this was already clear to me- releasing the three new Silent Hills in one month was always insane, although Book of Memories has now been delayed and the HD Collection is delayed in Europe- but I had no idea there was a shortage of the MGS HD Collection. There were tons of copies in Ireland. Even my small town game rental place had a load of them.

Maybe they accidentally sent us all the stock that was supposed to go to America/ the UK :P

How could he miss the biggest fuck-up of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection?

Namely, that is doesn't even contain Metal Gear Solid!!!

What sort of idiot thought that was a good idea?

How do you delay a game a week before it comes out? Surely the shops would need copies of it in advance?

Good to know I'm not the only one wondering wtf is going on with Konami. They had just been putting out 2D Castlevania games on portables for a decade, and while they were good, I wanted to see a full blown console one like Symphony of the Night again. Instead we got the terrible idea that was the multiplayer game. Then they axed the Suikoden franchise, a series I loved and had been doing well for a long time, in particular with 5 making up for a lot of 4's shortcomings. So what do they do? Make Terkris and change the whole fucking formula of Suikoden and make it portable only. And now they're saying they're basically ending the series, and if they don't they'll just make more portable games. WHERE THE FUCK IS SUIKODEN 6? You know, the one that was planned to finally go to Harmonia?

karloss01:
Its beginning to sound more like its a problem for japanesse devlopers/publishers then just a single company. people complain about Capcom, Konami and to a point Square Enix about their stupid decisions.

They do have problems over there. A lot of publishers seems to have decided to neglect the western market because they chose to just concentrate on the Japanese market instead. There is also the fact that they spent many years acting like game engines are suppose to be business secrets instead of sharing them like the western market does. Over here in the west we also speak a lot more English so we communicate more efficiently between countries and developers.

At this point the best idea seems to be to never fall in love with a studio or developers because they change employees and ideals so much that in 5 years they wont be the same. It is instead better to see where the talents go instead. Except that video-game media is kinda bad at covering individuals in the industry or they don't want the publicity.

I hope the Silent Hill franchise survives. I mean, it's a one of a kind series you can't easily forget and I hope they eventually come out with a game that blows us away like it did with Yahtzee. But sadly I am unsure where they're going with games these days- Konami you used to make me smile. Now I question you for doing these things to even make Jim question your sanity.

As if to prove his point about Konami's poor advertising, I didn't know halve those games were supposed to be out :)

He didn't even have time to mentioned Neverdead - a game that clearly wasn't finished XD

beetrain:
I just got into MGS with the HD collection, and I think it would have been great if they'd released MGS1 for the 3DS instead of Snake Eater.

That's probably because of some licensing with Sony as you can get MGS1 as a PSOne Classic on PSN. They also have MGS4, so if you want to get the beginning or end of the Metal Gear story (in order of release) you have to go through Sony.
Now, someone can remind me, but isn't it MGS3 Subsistence (the red box) edition in the collection? And does that have MGS1 or just Metal Gear Solid Snake?
Does anyone remember that they cut Peace Walker from the Metal Gear HD collection on the Vita?
I'll still probably get it on Vita over a console (I have my reasons), but that's kind of a jerk move.

Jim, you are now officially funny in my book. And insightful. In fact, I haven't seen a bad Jimquisition episode in months now. I like you.

I had actually wanted to play the Silent Hill collection when it was originally scheduled to launched back in January. Every time I had gone to pick it up, the release date was pushed back a few weeks. I had it on pre-order, and I couldn't think of anything else to get instead, so I waited. It's finally out, 3 months late, and I have no desire to play it now, and with the issues Jim pointed out, I'm taking it back. Probably getting Bejeweled 3 or something.

Yeah I've had the game for a week, and never opened it. Thanks Jim for the info. Saved me some more disappointment.

Silent Hill HD collection doesn't have Silent 1,4,Origin, and Shattered Memories?

Metal Gear Solid HD collection doesn't have Metal Gear Solid and its extra disc or Twin Snakes,and not a single portable title beside Peacewalker?

=(

Konami has been fucking Silent Hill series up it's arse since 2004. Remember what happened to Team Silent? Also, Akira Yamaoka and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn wanted to do a live concert together (fucking awesome!) but Konami said no. Seriously, FUCK KONAMI.

But America'll at least get the PSP Suikoden game, right? Right?

*sigh*

Major_Tom:
Konami has been fucking Silent Hill series up it's arse since 2004. Remember what happened to Team Silent? Also, Akira Yamaoka and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn wanted to do a live concert together (fucking awesome!) but Konami said no. Seriously, FUCK KONAMI.

Wait....seriously? That was actually going to be a thing and they said no?!

Why in the name of Odin's beard did they say no?! I would've gone to that!

God-FUCKING-dammit!

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Major_Tom:

God-FUCKING-dammit!

They actually did it after Akira left Konami. Here is Mary talking about it (among other stuff) and there is some footage of the actual concert in the related videos (Japan Expo 2011.).

Major_Tom:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Major_Tom:

God-FUCKING-dammit!

They actually did it after Akira left Konami. Here is Mary talking about it (among other stuff) and there is some footage of the actual concert in the related videos (Japan Expo 2011.).

Not too far from that video was one of them playing together. I would've loved to see that live, but I guess those videos are just going to have to be good enough for now. Thanks for those!

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Not too far from that video was one of them playing together. I would've loved to see that live, but I guess those videos are just going to have to be good enough for now. Thanks for those!

Sure, no problem. I'm always happy to see another Akira/McGlynn fan out there. They deserve more attention.

Major_Tom:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Sure, no problem. I'm always happy to see another Akira/McGlynn fan out there. They deserve more attention.

Hell yeah they do, they are a great team! My favorite stuff that they did together was in SH3, I adore that soundtrack. I just hope they continue working together.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Hell yeah they do, they are a great team! My favorite stuff that they did together was in SH3, I adore that soundtrack. I just hope they continue working together.

Since SH4 I stopped caring for the series (for obvious reasons) but I still looked forward to every new soundtrack. I doubt they'll stop working together, they recently did Shadows of the Damned soundtrack (I really like "As Evil As Dead", too bad there is only that short version). OK, we should really stop now, Jim is going to get mad.

Johnson McGee:
Would anyone mind telling me if Silent Hill: Downpour is any good? I'm not interested if it's anything close to the steaming turd that is Homecoming.

Downpour is pretty good. It has a few elements of Homecoming, but only superficial stuff like squeezing through tight spaces and ducking under obstacles. Aside from references here and there to the story, that's about it.

OniaPL:
It'd be nice to see an episode where you express your opinion about how to do things right, and which companies are the best off at the moment, as a counterweight to the Konami/ubisoft/etc. episodes.

Valve and Paradox Interactive generally seem to be paragons of development/publishing respectively. Red 5 is doing a very good job with their beta of Firefall. That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Not to be a jackass, but that japanese guy at the press conference sounds like a retard. Wow.
I've met dozens of japanese people (and koreans, and chinese) with varying degrees of english and they could all speak better than he could.

He speaks the language of cool

Akalabeth:
Not to be a jackass, but that japanese guy at the press conference sounds like a retard. Wow.
I've met dozens of japanese people (and koreans, and chinese) with varying degrees of english and they could all speak better than he could.

He speaks the language of cool. Didnt you see the look on his face when he told that awesome joke?

Daystar Clarion:
Capcom and Konami must be drinking the same water, because both of those Japanese companies are making terrible and moronic business decisions.

EA is evil, but they know what they're doing.

Capcom and Konami see to have no idea what they're doing.

Don't forget Square-Enix. Though they have a slightly different flavor of head-trauma.
Or Nintendo, who still abjectly refuses to sell Mother 3 outside of Japan, even though they have the distribution rights, the distribution means, and an ace translator team on staff.

Guy from the 80's:
He speaks the language of cool

Akalabeth:

He speaks the language of cool. Didnt you see the look on his face when he told that awesome joke?

Did he say that? I could only understand about half the words coming out of his mouth.
"Not funny" being the most apt of them all.

Volothos:
This makes me fear for the future of the Zone of the Enders HD Collection. I really do hope nothing goes wrong there.

I don't know, the MGS HD Collection was at least easy to find here in the US, even with it competing against Call of Duty's release. I like to think Kojima has somehow managed to create a Konami-nullifying field around his properties, which means his games are blessed with at least some minor protection from the rather ironic blackhole Konami is turning into, much like what exists in Downpour.

Also, Konami is shown to be all the dumber by handing the HD port of Silent Hill 2 and 3 off to a group of developers whose technical expertise exists mainly in dealing with Mobile gaming! Of course they didn't know those were bad mistakes, to them a basic Photoshop Black&White cloud effect looks like a darn amazing HD effect!

Out of boredom I thought I would see how the market cap of the more well known games companies compared. So here it is as of 28th march 2012 (Before anyone asks this is only for PLC's so Valve and Bethesda don't count)

Microsoft - $272.867 billion
Index corporation(Atlus & Interchannel owner) - 2,091,122,750,000 - $25.249 billion
Nintendo - 1,790,696,000,000 - $21.621 billion
Sony - $21.037 billion
Activision - $14.440 billion
Zynga - $9.461 billion
Nexon - 605,848,500,000 - $7.313 billion
EA - $5.640 billion
Sega Sammy - 456,317,310,000 - $5.508 billion
Konami - $4.057 billion
Namco Bandai - 262,626,000,000 - $3.170 billion
Square Enix - 195,091,700,000 - $2,355 billion
Capcom - 125,288,000,000 - $1.512 billion
Take Two - $1.424 billion
Ubisoft - €537.91 million - $716.551 million
Tecmo Koei - 58,529,700,000 - $706.925 million
Atari - €46.813 million - $62.357 million
THQ - $42.43 million

Sounds like someone's a bit butthurt over getting an interview denied.

I still have the PS2 Silent Hill collection with 3 of the games, so guess I'm digging that instead.

That was a stern and thorough beating, Jim. Good stuf.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here