Mass Effect 3 Gets An Ending

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 17 NEXT

Candidus:

Woodsey:

So the entire series is rendered pointless by the ending being too depressing or destructive?

No, the entire series is rendered pointless by the many plot holes created by the ending, and is made even worse by the lack of closure and sick invitation to buy DLC PLOX OKAY?! Plenty of great links have been posted in this thread with comprehensive articles describing the problems and their enormous scale, for anyone who honestly wants to know.

A lot of people don't honestly want to know, unfortunately. Loads of people just want to pick a side and spit from it.

That's not the point I picked up on from the guy I quoted, so that's not the point I'm arguing. Snark is all well and good, but at least use it when it makes sense.

Falcon123:

anthony87:

Falcon123:

Except people do get that the ending objectively fails. But why is it different than when so many other works fail to live up to the hype? Why is it that people feel as if they have a right to change this game any more than any others? You don't have the rights to Mass Effect 3. You don't have the right to decide how it ends. You have the right to hate the ending, but not the right to "Retake" a game that was never yours to begin with

I really think you're taking the "Retake" in "Retake Mass Effect" way too seriously. It's meant as a play on the "Retake Earth" or "Take back Earth" thing that was floating around prior to the games release.

What people are looking for is basically what Bethesda done with Fallout 3. Why is this such a bad thing?

If you're not not taking the phrase "retake" seriously, you're not the people that others are calling entitled. There are people who genuinely believe it's their right to retake the game, and those are the people that Yahtzee and others are writing against

In a sense I kind of am. People aren't really differentiating between the ones you describe and the ones I describe. Rather it's EVERYONE who wants a new ending that are being lamblasted by seemingly every gaming publication on the internet so you can at least see where the frustration is coming from with regards to the people who want rather than the people who are demanding.

(Ugh...I hate this "us and them" shite)

Woodsey:

Sandytimeman:

Woodsey:

So... what? You'll only lay down The Dolla for happy endings?

I don't mind bittersweet endings but what was the point of the game if everyone, and by everyone I mean all of galactic fleet of every combined race, and pretty much anything near a mass relay.

So the entire series is rendered pointless by the ending being too depressing or destructive?

Yes, I wasted my time. I've gotten burned and I've learned my lesson. Much in the way I no longer go to Michael Bay movies Or re watch the prequel star wars movies or anything that George lucas touches

irishda:

FedericoV:

irishda:

Did he? Did he REALLY miss the point? Did he "assume" your stance despite the countless thousands of threads spent by so many of you solidifying your points? Is it more likely he characterized your positions in a way that made you look unfavorable and now you're just assuming he "doesn't understand"? Maybe you guys are assuming his position.

He is completely missing the point because he is speaking of something he has no idea about and he is not even interested a lot to begin with by his own admission. He is just supporting Bioware so his editor will be happy.

That's all I needed to hear.

Well, he did in fact admit that in one occasion, wanted to apply for a position in Bioware... or something. Wait, what was I about to say again?

But, yeah, really. Objectivity and bias aside, I do think Yathzee kinda "went through" with this whole thing rather, lazily. I mean it might be because of his ignorance for all things "fanboy" but come on... this isn't something happening every day... and it is Bioware, which I believe he respects for having "good writing" (his own words). So, why wouldn't he go on an explain a tad more whether he agrees with the direction or not? Why just a plain and uninteresting statement on the whole matter? He is after all a gaming critique. Come on lazy man, try explain it to us "dumb fanboys" why this ending is appropriate?

Vuljatar:
I'm both shocked and disappointed that Yahtzee of all people doesn't understand what the issue is.

It still doesn't stop Yahtzee's biggest fans from swallowing his every word like the most delicious dish in the world. I swear if Yahtzee were to start a religion, most of the Escapist community would follow even if it turns up to be a suicide cult.

TsunamiWombat:
Point. Missing it. Thanks for not understanding, Yahtzee.

Holding the Line.

This.

You completely and utterly missed the point of why people are hating on ME3's ending, Yahtzee. Absolutely none of it makes sense, it's simply and straight-up 10 minutes of one asspull after the other that ruin all of the established lore and choices you make, leading up to the single ending that's literally colored by the "three choices".

This is not closure, this is just a blatant cop-out to make players buy DLC.

JDLY:
Am I the only person who finished it without "everyone dying"?

I mean, yeah a lot of people died; nameless people of all species if that's what you mean. But it seems like for everyone, all of their teammates died as well, when all of mine lived.

I don't think I had any team mates die either, my Shepard even lived. I imagine a lot of it is miss expression of one of the conv choice system of "three" possible endings which determine how many statistics get filed

I found the ending wasn't great but its not worth it to fight for something radically different, is any ending really going to be good enough to match the build up.

Candidus:

Woodsey:

No, the entire series is rendered pointless by the many plot holes created by the ending, and is made even worse by the lack of closure and sick invitation to buy DLC PLOX OKAY?! Plenty of great links have been posted in this thread with comprehensive articles describing the problems and their enormous scale, for anyone who honestly wants to know.

A lot of people don't honestly want to know, unfortunately. Loads of people just want to pick a side and spit from it.

FYI, I have already looked into everything because I honestly wanted to know and I'm aware of all the massive "plotholes" and I still think the Retake ME is a pathetic farse. The ending was underwhelming, Joker is driving the ship away on a Mass Relay which makes no sense given the context it is presented in and there is essentially absolutely no epilogue. We get it. Suck it up. It isn't even a notably shit ending, it is only sort of bland, with some editing problems and too openended. We all still think this is a ridiculous overreaction to a non-issue.

In my relatively short life I've had to deal with much worse shit than this and I never launched a worldwide campaign because of it.

If you play video games for their wonderful endings, you haven't been paying attention to every game ever. Even System Shock 2 had a shit ending. It's still a good game.

Mausenheimmer:
"Curing the Krogan Genophage implies that the Krogan Rebellions would start again"

No, they wouldn't because Wrex and Eve survived on my playthrough and they were determined to guide the krogan along a different path. Similarly, the geth and quarians started to get along and help each other, undermining the point that synthetics will inevitably fight organics.

But I guess paying attention to differences between playthroughs would require you to spend more than half a week thinking about it. And that requires way more effort than I've come to expect from you.

But would Wrex be able to stop them? What if a majority of the krogan want revenge for the Genophage? Wrex may be a respected leader, but he's just one krogan. If they all want blood, he may not be able to stop it happening. And let's not even get started if Wrex didn't survive and Wreav took over.........

Called idiot and cockhead by somebody who doesn't know what the hell is going on. 2 for 2, Escapist!

Revolutionaryloser:

Candidus:

Woodsey:

FYI, I have already looked into everything because I honestly wanted to know and I'm aware of all the massive "plotholes" and I still think the Retake ME is a pathetic farse. The ending was underwhelming, Joker is driving the ship away on a Mass Relay which makes no sense given the context it is presented in and there is essentially absolutely no epilogue. We get it. Suck it up. It isn't even a notably shit ending, it is only sort of bland, with some editing problems and too openended. We all still think this is a ridiculous overreaction to a non-issue.

In my relatively short life I've had to deal with much worse shit than this and I never launched a worldwide campaign because of it.

This. This. and more of This. Thank you Sir.

I mentioned it elsewhere, that the "elephant in the room" was the narrative itself. Take away the Geth/Krogan character arcs, and there really isn't much in the way of content. Other than Jessica C. from IGN, and Vega... EDI? Everything else is ME1/2 copied... conduit is the catalyst... cerberus... more cerberus?

Once we work our way around that elephant, we find it's arse... where we have some exposition and some choice... in colors...

TIM was supposed to be Smith... but was cut because it was "cliche", that's amazing... really because mere moments later...

Matrix... Colonel Sanders K.F.C Kid... God A.I... you get to choose what it is to you! Brilliant!

Matrix - Blade Runner Ending - Red

Babylon 5 - Buddha Ending - Blue

Battle Star Galactica - Green

That's choice to take to the bank! :D

or you can swing with vestigial tail of abandoned indoctrination content, and go with "Total Recall" ending... the choice is yours!

:D

Revolutionaryloser:
It isn't even a notably shit ending, it is only sort of bland, with some editing problems and too openended. We all still think this is a ridiculous overreaction to a non-issue.

It isn't even a notably shit ending? Confirmed for knowing nothing at all. God child blows the question of whether Sovereign (and the first game along with him) was even necessary wide open a few seconds before the final cinematic but hey, that's minor. And what's this, you've had a hard life and there are bigger things?

Yeah, I've heard the "and there are children starving in Africa" fallacy of argument a few times. It's held no water with me prior to today as an assertion that people should be less passionate- whether positively or negatively- about their hobbies, and it hasn't convinced me this time either.

Anyway, to launch a global campaign you need a lot of people to care, globally. I'm sure I don't need to point out that there's no symmetry between your (or anyone's) personal trials in life and ME3 there.

I think Yahtzee actually understands the point a lot better than you whiny fuckers. Jesus Christ, you act like Mass Effect is the only series that's ever had a bad fucking ending. Fact is, it isn't. In fact, most endings are shit. That's the truth, get the fuck over it. Keep whining and bitching and complaining all you want, but all your really doing is giving fuel to the people who see the gaming culture as something to be quashed. They look at us and see shit like this, and they can raise their eyebrows knowingly because you're acting exactly like they suspect you would. And the shit you're getting up to is just starting to get fucking ridiculous. There was actually a complaint to the FTC? Who the hell thinks that's a good idea? People are sending cupcakes to Bioware as protest? FUCKING CUPCAKES? DO YOU KNOW HOW STUPID YOU SEEM? Christ, I've avoided commenting on any of this shit up until now, but the fact of the matter is that you're ignoring ABSOLUTELY EVERY VALID POINT THAT'S BEING MADE that isn't in line with what you THINK people should be saying. Some people don't give a shit about the fact that the ending sucked. We just DON'T. And that doesn't mean I don't like the games: I loved them. But getting yourself all worked up about how Bioware "broke their promise" about how the series is going to end just isn't right. Wake up, and realize that you're just being FUCKING STUPID. You're completely disrespecting games as an artistic medium, AND the gamers who haven't played the game, of which there are a lot, or those who didn't care about the ending. Yahtzee got it. He hit the nail right on the head. So did MovieBob, but you guys bitched at him to. NOBODY FUCKING CARES. I'm sure this is going to come back and bite us in the ass someday, but as of right now, all you've managed to do is ruin the faith I had the gaming would some day be as respected as film or literature. All the whining and complaining you've done has officially made this seem like a childish community, and I hope you're happy.

Peace the fuck out.

GartarkMusik:

Mausenheimmer:
"Curing the Krogan Genophage implies that the Krogan Rebellions would start again"

No, they wouldn't because Wrex and Eve survived on my playthrough and they were determined to guide the krogan along a different path. Similarly, the geth and quarians started to get along and help each other, undermining the point that synthetics will inevitably fight organics.

But I guess paying attention to differences between playthroughs would require you to spend more than half a week thinking about it. And that requires way more effort than I've come to expect from you.

But would Wrex be able to stop them? What if a majority of the krogan want revenge for the Genophage? Wrex may be a respected leader, but he's just one krogan. If they all want blood, he may not be able to stop it happening. And let's not even get started if Wrex didn't survive and Wreav took over.........

*cough* Doesn't matter. Wrex/Wreav are stuck in Sol. Curing the Genophage meant nothing. And as most species think of Krogan as the trash of the galaxy, I doubt anyone's gonna be offering to fly them to Tuchanka, what with the whole destruction of all of the Mass Relays thing and all.

Candidus:

Revolutionaryloser:
It isn't even a notably shit ending, it is only sort of bland, with some editing problems and too openended. We all still think this is a ridiculous overreaction to a non-issue.

It isn't even a notably shit ending? Confirmed for knowing nothing at all. God child blows the question of whether Sovereign (and the first game along with him) was even necessary wide open a few seconds before the final cinematic but hey, that's minor. And what's this, you've had a hard life and there are bigger things?

Yeah, I've heard the "and there are children starving in Africa" fallacy of argument a few times. It's held no water with me prior to today as an assertion that people should be less passionate- whether positively or negatively- about their hobbies, and it hasn't convinced me this time either.

Anyway, to launch a global campaign you need a lot of people to care, globally. I'm sure I don't need to point out that there's no symmetry between your (or anyone's) personal trials in life and ME3 there.

I stand by my original statement. It's not even a notably shit ending in a sea of shit endings.

You know, sometimes I just wonder if a lot of the Retake ME douchebags are so angry because they just didn't get the ending. I mean, the ending makes perfect thematic sense in the story, it was foreshadowed no matter what people insist on believing and you are given a monumentally big and important choice. You even get to choose the mega-super-happy-perfect choice ending where you manage to destroy all the Reapers and attain complete victory and you save everyone and Sheppard survives. Seriously, other than the Joker scene the ending was prety sweet.

And I was referencing other shit endings and such, not my struggle to cure AIDS or anything. I'm not 10 years old unlike most ME fanboys and as such I don't need to use pity to support my arguments.

After having read the summary of the ending of ME3 I can't help but think I missed something. If that's really the ending then I can't see what the problem is. What exactly were people expecting? The living happily ever after with little blue children would have been great but it would have been somewhat unrealistic. Just write up some fan-fiction if you're not satisfied.

This is the problem of pushing story over gameplay in games, is that you actually put your own thoughts, philosophies and machinations into the experience. Then when the game disappoints you, because the writers let you choose the outcome rather than giving you a story you just simply follow, the story will never live up to your own expectations.

The way I see it, make games about gameplay first and story second. I've never read a book where I had to press buttons, and I've never eaten a sandwich where the butter cost extra, even though butter is mentioned on the menu.

A decent summary of the issues with the ending can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E

Shoggoth2588:
After having read the summary of the ending of ME3 I can't help but think I missed something. If that's really the ending then I can't see what the problem is. What exactly were people expecting? The living happily ever after with little blue children would have been great but it would have been somewhat unrealistic. Just write up some fan-fiction if you're not satisfied.

God, if I have to tell someone that everyone is fine with a sad ending one more time, I just might cap a bitch.

Woodsey:

Major_Tom:
Oh, and I guess you now like Deus Ex HR's ending too?

*slap*

Human Revolution's ending is good. Inelegant, but it serves it's purpose to a tee.

Ugh. I refer you to the picture above. I doesn't matter whether I liked it or whether it was a good ending, the point I was trying to make is that HE didn't like the ending because of the same reasons (or at least some of them) people don't like ME3 ending.

Yahtzee:
4. The danged endings actually danging mean something

The multiple endings gambit is a tricky one to play. The problem with Human Revolution was that the ending was decided by a single four-way choice at the very very end. And while this was very convenient because I could see them all by immediately reloading, it meant none of the endings carried much in the way of canonical weight and I didn't regard any of them as the one I had "picked". And while Deus Ex 1's ending is also only determined by your actions in the last mission, each option has a set of somewhat different locations and gameplay objectives to deal with. It wasn't much, but it was enough.

He now claims that doing the same but with basically the same ending is somehow fine and that different paths should lead to same conclusion because of some inescapable cycle repeating bullshit which makes no sense. It is the end of the series, there doesn't have to be a "canonical" ending. MY Shepard's ending is supposed to be canonical to me because of the choices I made throughout the series. He admits he is not that into Mass Effect and completely misses the main themes of the series. It's about choice, beating the odds, sacrifice, unity through diversity (fuck you synthesis), and most importantly BREAKING the cycle, not repeating it.

nighthawk282:
I think Yahtzee actually understands the point a lot better than you whiny fuckers. Jesus Christ, you act like Mass Effect is the only series that's ever had a bad fucking ending. Fact is, it isn't. In fact, most endings are shit. That's the truth, get the fuck over it. Keep whining and bitching and complaining all you want, but all your really doing is giving fuel to the people who see the gaming culture as something to be quashed. They look at us and see shit like this, and they can raise their eyebrows knowingly because you're acting exactly like they suspect you would. And the shit you're getting up to is just starting to get fucking ridiculous. There was actually a complaint to the FTC? Who the hell thinks that's a good idea? People are sending cupcakes to Bioware as protest? FUCKING CUPCAKES? DO YOU KNOW HOW STUPID YOU SEEM? Christ, I've avoided commenting on any of this shit up until now, but the fact of the matter is that you're ignoring ABSOLUTELY EVERY VALID POINT THAT'S BEING MADE that isn't in line with what you THINK people should be saying. Some people don't give a shit about the fact that the ending sucked. We just DON'T. And that doesn't mean I don't like the games: I loved them. But getting yourself all worked up about how Bioware "broke their promise" about how the series is going to end just isn't right. Wake up, and realize that you're just being FUCKING STUPID. You're completely disrespecting games as an artistic medium, AND the gamers who haven't played the game, of which there are a lot, or those who didn't care about the ending. Yahtzee got it. He hit the nail right on the head. So did MovieBob, but you guys bitched at him to. NOBODY FUCKING CARES. I'm sure this is going to come back and bite us in the ass someday, but as of right now, all you've managed to do is ruin the faith I had the gaming would some day be as respected as film or literature. All the whining and complaining you've done has officially made this seem like a childish community, and I hope you're happy.

Peace the fuck out.

Woah, great. If it were up to you and all other ignorant assholes we would probably be fed old rolled up newspapers as a gaming media. Ignorant pricks like yourself are the main reason why companies like Bioware do what they do - cause they think people don't care so, naturally, why would they care how their product turns out, right? Why would they care about quality, consistency, good story telling cause, hey, this retards just play the game and are oblivious, voiceless mutes that will swallow any crap we through at them. To you it is plain and simple - just face the other side and walk away, buying the complementary DLC that will come later on. No interest as in how this came to be? Perhaps Bioware was ripping everyone off with their day one DLC and cut content and obviously scrapped ending in order to provide additional DLC that would "resolve" it? Are you REALLY that ignorant and uninterested?

You claim you like the games and you think the ending is bad and that's cool, sure, you just don't want to get dragged into the whole "debate" but why insult the others who feel like they need to express their opinions? If you didn't care so much, why bother commenting without adding anything constructive, rather than bashing everyone who doesn't agree with your ignorant little opinion?

Oh, and good going with the generalization. Just because some moron decided to file a complaint doesn't mean that everyone who voiced their opinion against Bioware's decision about the game's ending is in the same bucket as him. I for one think that the ending sucked and Bioware messed that shit up and no amount of DLC will improve it.

Sandytimeman:
Yeah, I feel like most journalists / critcs are on a completely different wave length then us gamers.

That being said I don't think bioware should have to remake the ending I just don't want to buy anything they sell ever again. Almost 300+ hours of game play to give me some depressing ass story where everyone fucking dies. Could have saved myself 80 bucks and 35 hours if I had just let shepard die in ME2...

TL;DR fuck bioware and don't buy from them anymore.

Its the almost 300 hours part that gets me.

Why on earth are you complaining because the ending was shit?

THE SERIES WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU TO DEVOTE 300+ HOURS TO IT. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE.

300 hours? That is... 2 months of school (Including lunchbreaks) if you are a youngling.

Hell, 300 hours is... ROUGHLY THE AMOUNT OF CONTACT HOURS YOU GET IN A 3 YEAR COURSE STUDYING HISTORY AT CAMBRIDGE. (If you are NOT a youngling)

My point?

People like you are insane. You will no longer support a company that gave you 300 entertaining hours because they botched 10 minutes? Will you never buy a car based upon the fact that sometimes a flat tyre happens and its a bit shit? Seriously.

Not saying the ending is good. Saying the rage is insane and that some people are not seeing the full picture.

300+ hours of fun > 10 minutes of shitty ending.

Seriously.

Most.
Annoying.
Fanbase.
Ever.

JDLY:
Am I the only person who finished it without "everyone dying"?

I mean, yeah a lot of people died; nameless people of all species if that's what you mean. But it seems like for everyone, all of their teammates died as well, when all of mine lived.

I'm with you. In my game not everyone died. As a matter of fact, my Shepard saved the entire universe in a really profound way by creating a new form of base life. It was great.

But many of the people who didn't like it are just assuming that everyone is dead in order to complain more. They say: Well the Mass Relays were destroyed and we know from arrival that when a Mass Relay is destroyed that is destroys everything in that system...SO EVERYONE IS DEAD!

But, a) in arrival we rammed that relay, we have no evidence that the Catalyst's self-destruct results in the death of the people in that system.
b) Even if people in that system died--which we don't know (and if you picked the control reapers option they relays weren't destroyed)--there are many systems with no mass relays...I know this because I spent time FTL'ing between them to scan for stuff.

People are just being hyper-negative.

The most irritating thing about the nay-sayers is that they act like their opinion is objective truth and anyone who disagrees with them must be a troll or stupid or not really a fan (or too much a fan) or not paying attention or haven't watched Angry Joe or not read the Google doc.

I've read the google doc, I've watched Angry Joe. I find both to be flawed, poorly supported, and unconvincing.
I'm not a troll for liking the ending.
I'm not stupid or not paying attention or lacking analytical skills
I'm not "not really a fan" (or too much a fan).

I liked the ending. I made perfect sense to me. It was thematically proper to me. I appreciated the way my choices throughout the entire series played out over the course of ME3. I like how the things I did shaped with of the final 6 endings I was given to choose from. I like the open-endedness--the space for interpretation.

I liked the ending.

And that doesn't mean my view is now suddenly less valid than those who didn't like it.

Anyone who talks about the ending's artistic integrity, or the idea of concluding the game and series in the way that the developers intended, is completely missing the point.

The end of Mass Effect 3 was rushed, sloppy, half-assed shit. Really, all you have to do is to play the rest of the game (without rushing through the main quest line leaving everything else behind) to see what I'm talking about--the game is fucking great, but the ending looks like the janitor came in and played with some of the art assets one evening, and the development team decided to just go with in and add a voice actor to meet their deadline.

If the end of the game reflected artistic integrity, if it seemed as if the BioWare team had actually put any thought into it at all, then I would respect it even if I disliked it. When the "Final Hours" app that takes you behind the scenes flat-out tells you that the ending didn't get written until the very last minute (November, just in time to get the VO done before the game went for console certification) the whole "artistic integrity" argument is revealed for what it is: bollocks. It's a farce. If they had any artistic integrity they would have taken the time to write something good, polish it through the same process that created the rest of the game, and release a finished fucking product.

trooper6:

I'm with you. In my game not everyone died. As a matter of fact, my Shepard saved the entire universe in a really profound way by creating a new form of base life. It was great.

Its not a new form of life, you just made machine hybrids out of every living thing. What the reapers do to make husks, banshees, marauders, etc. on a systemic level, you have done on a cellular level. Setting aside for a moment that it makes no sense to add machinery to DNA, it is a pretty serious violation. I mean, how would you feel if I re-wrote your DNA for you?

This is really a fundamental problem with the ending of Mass Effect 3, regardless of which color of explosion you choose. The more you think about it, the worse it gets, the less it makes sense, and more it becomes obvious that it is thoughtless and careless--the opposite of "artistic integrity."

Yahtzee, all the charm and wit of a brick to the nut sack.

trooper6:

Just to demonstrate a counter-critique of that particular ending:

1. You've basically validated Saren's actions in the first game, since - indoctrinated or not - everything he did was meant to promote an organic/synthetic fusion that would prove his "worth" to the Reapers.

2. By choosing Synthesis, you've forced a state of homogeny on every living thing in the galaxy. All those races set aside their differences to help you, and you've sacrificed everything they are without a clear understanding of the consequences because the Catalyst never tells you what Synthesis means - do they all have computers for brains now? Nanobots instead of blood? Will they age if they're part machine? Can they procreate? Big questions, no answers.

Well said Yahtzee, I agree.

permacrete:

trooper6:

Its not a new form of life, you just made machine hybrids out of every living thing. What the reapers do to make husks, banshees, marauders, etc. on a systemic level, you have done on a cellular level. Setting aside for a moment that it makes no sense to add machinery to DNA, it is a pretty serious violation. I mean, how would you feel if I re-wrote your DNA for you?

This is really a fundamental problem with the ending of Mass Effect 3, regardless of which color of explosion you choose. The more you think about it, the worse it gets, the less it makes sense, and more it becomes obvious that it is thoughtless and careless--the opposite of "artistic integrity."

Actually no...it isn't like what the Reapers do to make Husks. Reapers *kill* people to make husks and banshees and marauders. And those husks and banshees and marauders are more or less mindless zombies--they in no way have the personality of their former selves and no longer have individual personalities. Joker and EDI looked like the same people with the same personalities but with some different underlying structures. And the trees looked the same, with a little bit of tech thrown in. We basically became the cylon-human hybrids. And since my Shepard rewrote the Geth heretics, it is perfectly in line for me to do this cellular rewriting as well. Especially since by erasing the synthetic/organic binary I have stopped that particular cycle of violence forever. My Shepard has been a synthetic/organic hybrid since the Lazarus Project...it hasn't made me a the equivalent of a just. It is disingenuous to argue that they are the same. Just a poor excuse to QQ.

erttheking:

I vote you as a replacement for Yahtzee. Can you speak quickly?

erttheking:

erttheking:

RazadaMk2:

People like you are insane. You will no longer support a company that gave you 300 entertaining hours because they botched 10 minutes? Will you never buy a car based upon the fact that sometimes a flat tyre happens and its a bit shit? Seriously.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Let me try to explain.

Playing the Mass Effect isn't like most other games, because the quality of the characters and writing combine with the player's ability to make choices that dramatically effect the story progression and creates a level of immersion and immediacy I haven't gotten with any other media. Seriously, if you get into Mass Effect you can *really* get into it.

This give the Mass Effect games the ability to have a serious impact on your mood, to leave thoughts and questions with the player for weeks or months after you've finished the game, to even change the way you think about certain things. Because of the overall quality of the writing, that's actually been a good thing throughout the series. People think of the time they've spent playing Commander Shepard as time well spent, just like you would reading literary classics or taking elective philosophy classes.

The ending of the third game sucks so bad that it makes me feel like an idiot for spending that much time playing video games.

It's not just that the ending retcons the entire trilogy in the last 5 minutes to make everything stupid, it is that on an emotion level it retcons your perception of the time you spent playing the series, making the player actually feel foolish. Most of us have had a relationship blow up on us, and had a break-up that made us look back at the entire relationship and think "I would have been better off spending that time slamming my head into a wall." That's what's happened with this ending.

Sandytimeman:
I just figured out the perfect analogy for ME3's ending. It's like if at the end of Romeo and Juliet before Juliet takes her own life, she uses a pandora's box to pull the trigger instead at the behest of a stranger who she recommends it to her and who she has no reason to trust.

A good analogy that was sloppily executed. Do it over.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here