Zero Punctuation: Twisted Metal

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Twisted Metal

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Twisted Metal.

Watch Video

And I thought I was the only one who has a fear of clowns.

If only I had a PS3, I enjoyed the PS1 games a ton.

Never quite understood the appeal of the Twisted Metal franchise. Maybe it's the disturbing clown character that is really unsettling...

OuendanCyrus:

hey dont feel bad drake does too

A review I definitely did not expect. Funny as always, but it's still on my wishlist. I just need to scrape together some damn cash.

You heard it here ladies and gents. Yahtzee's got the best bum in the whore house. Least, that's the most important part I took away.

I passed on this game. As much as I loved TM in the 90s, it just felt like that's where it belonged. But whatever. If people enjoyed it then more power to them. I decided to spend that money on another throwback; SSX. And no children are murdered in SSX so there's that.

Did you get that blowjob that David Jaffe promised?

OuendanCyrus:

Actually many many people are afflicted with Bozophobia. It's a hard life to live, especially when your kids love McDonalds.

A game for a whole different kind of "truck nuts"

Played Twisted Metal 2 on the PS1 back in the day and I don't remember having a lot of trouble with the controls.Hmm,wonder if it can be improved with a keyboard/mouse layout on a PC.And there wasn't any kind of story in TW2 to speak of really,or at least I don't recall any.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Twisted Metal

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Twisted Metal.

Watch Video

Aside from the fact that I was disappointed with the game when I tried it, did you intentionally make a Divine Comedy reference with Calypso at 2:42?

You, Yahtzee, of all people complaining about a tutorial level not being mandatory. Playing mainstream games has fucked you up. I prescribe a month of reviewing offbeat indie and/or old titles else you might start complaining about cutscenes in some games lacking quicktime events.

I always prefered the Vigilante 8 series on the N64, the lightness of tone was a better fit with the gameplay in my opinion.

Calypso's alive? I thought he was killed in TM2. Unless this is a(nother) reboot. Is it a(nother) reboot?

Video quality seems to have taken a hit, unless it just hasn't finished processing yet.

was the hi res version of the video very aliased/jagged for anyone else?

T3hSource:
Played Twisted Metal 2 on the PS1 back in the day and I don't remember having a lot of trouble with the controls.Hmm,wonder if it can be improved with a keyboard/mouse layout on a PC.And there wasn't any kind of story in TW2 to speak of really,or at least I don't recall any.

I don't generally find driving to be better on the PC than a console, based on control ability. I mean, I know twisted metal is no Forza or GT game, but I do like the analog inputs for throttle control, so you can actually vary you speed like you can in an actual car.

Sure you could use a wheel or joystick on the PC, but then you look like somebody who never has sex with women. Also, it's annoying to bust that stuff out for one game. Most mouse and keyboard based driving games seem to have the mouse controlling the steering, with the W and S keys as throttle and brake. Which mean you can only go one speed ala half-life 2 (with a turbo boost), or you're consistantly hit and releasing the throttle/brake to achieve to annoyingly achieve a speed.

I imagine twisted metal is just "mash the throttle, and aim your car at your enemies while hitting laser buttons". Still, it's nice that the controls are sort of there for actual driving in a vehicle based game.

Snarky:
snip

I brought it up,because aiming with a mouse is much easier.I do agree that controllers are more intuitive for a driving game,with gears and whatnot,but WASD and space for handbrake is good enough for me for a racing game,which doesn't have gear shifting and even if it does there's always shift and ctrl.
But like I said,I brought it up mostly because of the aiming.

Don't have the game nor the PS3 myself,but I heard this game is very fun in multiplayer.

Had a fun time watching this so thanks yet again for the chuckles that you have given me before my WoW raid.

Yeah, classic controls suck. Don't use that mess, Dual Analog is where it's at.

Anyway, not very pleased with the "high quality" version of this video. Not paying for Pub Club to look a bunch of jagged mess, Escapist!

19:
I always prefered the Vigilante 8 series on the N64, the lightness of tone was a better fit with the gameplay in my opinion.

So you're saying that Vigilante 8's cutscenes were ass as well? Because the gameplay sure was.

I absolutely enjoy this game, but I do agree with the difficulty level changing so much. I'm honestly still stuck on that Diesel City race in Dollface's chapter. And the fastest car handles like a piece of shit.

Meh. Multiplayer is fun anyway. I have no shame. I got far.

The Gentleman:
Never quite understood the appeal of the Twisted Metal franchise. Maybe it's the disturbing clown character that is really unsettling...

me either, I never owned a playstation (before 3) so if there was any chance of me getting into the series this game would have been it.

Doesn't surprise me it's not the greatest, it didn't look very fun. Besides I've never been much of a 'car destruction' kind of guy

SageRuffin:
Calypso's alive? I thought he was killed in TM2. Unless this is a(nother) reboot. Is it a(nother) reboot?

Video quality seems to have taken a hit, unless it just hasn't finished processing yet.

Yes it is a reboot.

And, the 'ending' for this game, really, really sets up the possibility of another sequal to the ps3.

And since Yahtzee has never played the previous ones, nor even Touched upon the 1990s WISH MASTER refrences, we can forgive his ignorance on the 'dark' aspects of the game, its been that way since TM1.

Know all those rob zombie songs in the game? Yea, he had songs in every twisted metal game.. (I think he had some involvement in some of hte games as well, perhaps even in the directorial 'style'.. sweet tooth is really reminiscent of the 'house of a thousand corpses' killer clowns...

T3hSource,
There was a story in every game, even 2.
You just actually had to 'beat' the game as a specific car, all the way through to see it. Itussually involved a short cut scene with calypso granting said wish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQSzhRfWPjM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQXH3hngxZk&feature=related

Wow, this actually sounds like fun. One of the few games I'v heard about and been interested in since fucking Bastion.
Too bad I don't own a PS3.

SageRuffin:

It is, but they also made a direct sequel to TM2 (Twisted Metal Head On) some years back where he was still alive.

What driver wins, and what ending they go by as cannon, is pretty confusing in Twisted Metal games.

I'm a Twisted Metal fan and the inconsistency between story and game didn't bother me. Mostly because I really loved the stories in Twisted Metal black, where they ratcheted up the darkness in the stories a lot, and I was expecting more of them in this.

Limecake:

The Gentleman:

me either, I never owned a playstation (before 3) so if there was any chance of me getting into the series this game would have been it.

Doesn't surprise me it's not the greatest, it didn't look very fun. Besides I've never been much of a 'car destruction' kind of guy

I own the game, once you get used to the controls it can be quite fun.

Kuroneko97:
I absolutely enjoy this game, but I do agree with the difficulty level changing so much. I'm honestly still stuck on that Diesel City race in Dollface's chapter. And the fastest car handles like a piece of shit.

Are you using Kamikaze, Crimson Fury, or Reaper (the motorcycle)?

SinisterDeath:

SageRuffin:

Yes it is a reboot.

And, the 'ending' for this game, really, really sets up the possibility of another sequal to the ps3.

And since Yahtzee has never played the previous ones, nor even Touched upon the 1990s WISH MASTER refrences, we can forgive his ignorance on the 'dark' aspects of the game, its been that way since TM1.

Know all those rob zombie songs in the game? Yea, he had songs in every twisted metal game.. (I think he had some involvement in some of hte games as well, perhaps even in the directorial 'style'.. sweet tooth is really reminiscent of the 'house of a thousand corpses' killer clowns...

T3hSource,
There was a story in every game, even 2.
You just actually had to 'beat' the game as a specific car, all the way through to see it. Itussually involved a short cut scene with calypso granting said wish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQSzhRfWPjM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQXH3hngxZk&feature=related

I've only played 3 and 4, and 3's a bit fuzzy while I still own 4. and here's the endings for 4

Oh I love the endings to be honest, even if they do get cheesy

SinisterDeath:

He was literally a playable character in TM4. Though that game sucked.

Is it just me, or is there something amiss with the video encoding? Looks like half the vertical resolution is missing.

Oh another fracking "use old name on new game" thing like Yahtzee said before "thats not confusing"....

And Twisted metal sounds like it should come with a 6 pack of beer or a voucher for free vodka bottle depending on where you live... ;)
But that might twist the targeted audience group somewhat...

Why have the last couple Zero Punctuations sounded as though they are rife with punctuation? Yahtzee's sounded terribly bored with reviewing Twisted Metal *and* Mass Effect 3, as though reviewing the games were interrupting his nap. Talk faster, man!

ZZoMBiE13:
I passed on this game. As much as I loved TM in the 90s, it just felt like that's where it belonged. But whatever. If people enjoyed it then more power to them. I decided to spend that money on another throwback; SSX. And no children are murdered in SSX so there's that.

Are you saying child murder wouldn't improve a snowboarding game? Weird.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here