GinxTV: Top 5 Weirdest Japanese Dream Sequences

Top 5 Weirdest Japanese Dream Sequences

Inspired by Catherine's trippy nightmares, Ginx takes a look at the top 5 strangest and most bizarre dream sequences to come out of our favorite Japanese games.

Watch Video

I like how Killer 7 is at the top of the list. Rightly so. No game has weirded me out since Killer 7.

I'd never even noticed that thing with Snake's face before :D I reckon Catherine was list worthy though. Maybe Flower as well?

Ahh Killer 7.

Brings me back. Damn, that game was trippy.

And of the good kind.

Damn, actually trippy is a total understatement now that I think about it....

Fun list, although I must say that the criticism of the 1000 years of dream kind of misses the point. The main reason the text was segmented like that was for atmosphere as you will notice that the background noises or music change during certain parts and the text is segmented quite on purpose to enchance the effect.

Also, have you never skipped through an ingame text just because it simply was a wall of text you didnt feel like reading? I'm sure I have, I for one never read the side quests in games like Dragon Age. If one of the larger game mechanics in your game is reading text then you better make it presentable and interesting, its just simple psychology.

Also, Killer 7 rocks!

to be fair the 1000 years of dreams was probably the best part of the entire game and in places i know i shed a few tears

Kekkonen1:
Fun list, although I must say that the criticism of the 1000 years of dream kind of misses the point. The main reason the text was segmented like that was for atmosphere as you will notice that the background noises or music change during certain parts and the text is segmented quite on purpose to enchance the effect.

Also, have you never skipped through an ingame text just because it simply was a wall of text you didnt feel like reading? I'm sure I have, I for one never read the side quests in games like Dragon Age. If one of the larger game mechanics in your game is reading text then you better make it presentable and interesting, its just simple psychology.

Also, Killer 7 rocks!

I read every piece of text I see. Try getting through Neveriwnter Nights or, worse yet, Planescape: Torment without reading a LOT, lol.

I've never seen a problem with a wall of text in a game. Sure, having it all voiced and acted (I love The Old Republic) would be fantastic, but I read books for entertainment, so what's a little reading in a vidya game>

Grey Day for Elcia:

Kekkonen1:

Also, Killer 7 rocks!

I read every piece of text I see. Try getting through Neveriwnter Nights or, worse yet, Planescape: Torment without reading a LOT, lol.

I've never seen a problem with a wall of text in a game. Sure, having it all voiced and acted (I love The Old Republic) would be fantastic, but I read books for entertainment, so what's a little reading in a vidya game>

Good for you. I am less inclined to read everything and will only read what I think might be interesting (and random quests in RPGs often don't make the cut). However I never said I was averse to reading in games. I dont have to try and get through neverwinter nights or planescape: torment as I already played them back in the day. I'm just saying that for many having the text dispersed in smaller segments make it seem less daunting, especially in a game like Lost Odyssey where the dream sequences are very profound and not just some quest-information. Also, reading books and video games are very different. I read books to read books, I dont play video games to read books.

But of course, as I said before, the main reason the text is presented the way it is in 1000 years of dreams is for pacing and atmosphere, thus the criticism kind of misses the mark in my opinion.

No oni?

I didn't realize this was Top 5 with Lisa Foiles. Wut?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here