Velocity

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Veterinari:

Sandytimeman:
Except you've probably never been on those meds. Sometimes they put you into a semi veg state, sometimes your filled with extreme bursts of emotion, sometimes you are suicidal and try and harm yourself. It takes years to properly dose and tweak meds so they work and arn't worse then the problem they are fixing.

It is hard to stay on your meds, growing up I loved to draw and write. After going on my meds I would just sleep all day, a couple of times I tried throwing myself down the stairs, I only ever had the inspiration and motivation to draw when I wasn't on meds. So I kept not taking my meds when I could get away with it.

There's a point when not staying on meds due to the fact that they suck stops being all about you. That point is rapidly shrinking in the rear view mirror when breaking and entering seems like an ok idea. That's when the meds are not really for your sake anymore and that's where the "grow up" bit comes in. Sometimes (Well, ok, pretty often) we suffer discomforts in order to not be a burden to others, and that's something we all have to do. It's a bummer, but there there you go.

But there was one comic were it was explained that the med don't help, they just mix the viedeogame hallucinations up with each other.

The guy just watched Erin throw an x-box at his girlfriends head. I don't think he's thinking rationally, his rage on a hair trigger and is just about keeping from beating her to a pulp so best course of action get her out the house now before he does beat her up. The grow up Erin comment is probably more from anger than actually addressing her issues.

Considering Kratos would have solved the situation by ripping the limbs off one of them and having sex with and then ripping the limbs off the other I'd say its a bit odd he thinks she did well. =P

InTheEnd:

Veterinari:

Sandytimeman:
Except you've probably never been on those meds. Sometimes they put you into a semi veg state, sometimes your filled with extreme bursts of emotion, sometimes you are suicidal and try and harm yourself. It takes years to properly dose and tweak meds so they work and arn't worse then the problem they are fixing.

It is hard to stay on your meds, growing up I loved to draw and write. After going on my meds I would just sleep all day, a couple of times I tried throwing myself down the stairs, I only ever had the inspiration and motivation to draw when I wasn't on meds. So I kept not taking my meds when I could get away with it.

There's a point when not staying on meds due to the fact that they suck stops being all about you. That point is rapidly shrinking in the rear view mirror when breaking and entering seems like an ok idea. That's when the meds are not really for your sake anymore and that's where the "grow up" bit comes in. Sometimes (Well, ok, pretty often) we suffer discomforts in order to not be a burden to others, and that's something we all have to do. It's a bummer, but there there you go.

But there was one comic were it was explained that the med don't help, they just mix the viedeogame hallucinations up with each other.

So then the grown-up thing is to go to your doctor and fix the dosage or get some other meds. Or at least wait for her doctor to say it's okay to stop taking them. For all she knows that's something that passes. Some anxiety-drugs have a tendency to make you really depressed for the first month or so before kicking in. You don't stop taking your medication on your own volition.

kayisking:

Fasckira:
Wow, maybe physically throwing her out was a bit of an over-reaction? :p

What do you mean? That Xbox could be damaged!

And if the disk was still in.... ruined!

Sandytimeman:

370999:

Sandytimeman:
I'm like...really mad at elliot here. He seriously just told someone he knows has mental problems to grow up.

LIKE GROWING UP CURES MENTAL PROBLEMS!!!!

Indeed. However there is an issue when someone doesn't take their medication. And to a certain degree, it's not his problem, it's Erin's. However storming his house, stripping down to her panties, wrestling with a girl and throwing a console at someone's face is well an issue...

Right but he is also the one responsible for the accident that gave Erin that mental condition. Apparently if I were to lame someone and then bitch about them having to sit in a wheel chair. Finally culminating in me yelling at them "STOP BEING LAZY AND WALK!"

He crashed yeah but I can't remember him forcing her to not wear a seat belt.

Your wheel chair example would make sense if someone could take exercises to be able to walk and refused to do so

Blunderboy:
After she threw a games console at someone's face? Not really.

Aye but he also knows shes not quite well in the head. I think if I had been in that situation I may have grabbed her by the arm and shoved her out the house, but I just think actually picking her up and flinging her out is a bit extreme!

Then again, as you say... game saves were at stake of course....

... This is the same guy responsible for Erin's head trauma right? Man, I know you should always side with your GF... but god damn that guy just came across as a prick!

Also, anti-psychotics, if you have a problem but that problem doesn't cause you to want to cause harm to your self and others I don't think you should have to take them... they make you feel like you're not you.

...NOT that I have personal experience or anything... ((Fuck, now everyone thinks I'm a loon)) I did 2 years of Nursing and have a strong medical predisposition in my family.

"Hey mum, I don't want to be a nurse OK, I want to kill people" - Not what I said, but what she heard

Wow, this just took an incredibly depressing turn. That Erin's hallucinations because of her brain damage has caused an insanely large rift between her room mate and her friend, the one who caused the brain damage in the first place. That Elliot is less mad, but rather just pities Erin for acting to her hallucination's demands and just asks her to just grow up. Meanwhile, Erin is still convinced she's not crazy to the point of launching an X-Box 360 (which to a game reviewer must be pretty valuable) at her room-mate who calls her crazy's head (not at her, but directly at her face, which is slightly different in feelings of malice).

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the rift and her proclamation of not being crazy despite everyone yelling at her that she is and she should take the meds which make her feel like a half-vegetable state will cause her to go into a deep depression. God damn it Grey, just god damn it.

Veterinari:

InTheEnd:

Veterinari:

Snip

Snip

So then the grown-up thing is to go to your doctor and fix the dosage or get some other meds. Or at least wait for her doctor to say it's okay to stop taking them. For all she knows that's something that passes. You don't stop taking your medication on your own volition.

1. Seeing hallucinations this specific is a very unusual thing, as far as anyone knows these are the only meds there are. Changing the dosage doesn't alter the effect, just the strenght of the effect.

2. At least as far as i know mental illnesse like hallucinations can't be cured, just supressed, so it can't just pass. So if that's true any doctor would tell her that.

3. Asking the doctor for anything besides the meds she already has would be pointless because they pretty much told her that they have no idea what she has and are just flinging shit against the wall here.

4. If the one thing that she has doesn't help with anything (the meds in this case)would a cynic like her really keep taking them? It's hard to stop old habits, especially if they are so old that you don't notice them anymore.

InTheEnd:

Veterinari:

InTheEnd:
Snip

So then the grown-up thing is to go to your doctor and fix the dosage or get some other meds. Or at least wait for her doctor to say it's okay to stop taking them. For all she knows that's something that passes. You don't stop taking your medication on your own volition.

1. Seeing hallucinations this specific is a very unusual thing, as far as anyone knows these are the only meds there are. Changing the dosage doesn't alter the effect, just the strenght of the effect.

2. At least as far as i know mental illnesse like hallucinations can't be cured, just supressed, so it can't just pass. So if that's true any doctor would tell her that.

3. Asking the doctor for anything besides the meds she already has would be pointless because they pretty much told her that they have no idea what they are doing and are just flinging shit against the wall here.

4. If the one thing that she has doesn't help with anything (the meds in this case)would a cynic like her really keep taking them? It's hard to stop old habits, especially if they are so old that you don't notice them anymore.

I'm not really sure what the point here is. 1 - Since we don't know anything about the meds speculation is meaningless. But even if the meds were effectively making her worse she shouldn't stop taking it without getting a "go" from her doctor. 2 - Supressed is still better than nothing. 3 - It wouldn't be pointless, it would be the right thing to do. If nothing else because the doctors could then see if something else stuck. Or just tell her to stop taking the meds. Anything is better than what essentially amounts to playing your own shrink. 4 - This is precisely the point. When your illness could be potentially dangerous to those around you (sure, it's been looking pretty benign in the comic so far, but Erin is a pretty severe friggin' schizophrenic) that kind of cynicism is a luxury you can't afford to grant yourself without being in the wrong. I'm not saying that it isn't understandable that she might stop taking the meds, but it isn't allright and I can't fault a person for being angry with her for it.

There is a point where the insanity excuse and the "you were responsible for the accident" excuse don't serve as an excuse anymore. That is when you start acting like a violent idiot. Treating her like an adult will be the best in this situation.

Oooh, this is intense drama right here.
What happens next?!

Sandytimeman:

Fragmented_Faith:

Sandytimeman:
Dude...that was a dick move. I'm...like not even able to express my hate towards characters I previously liked. Mol and Mr.Geeky there need to go take a drive asap so they can run into another poll.

Seriously he is pretty much responsible for her brain damage, he doesn't know what its like to try and deal with the meds, and he doesn't care because hes hooking up with her roomate anyway. Why should he take any responsibility. Grrr >.>

And sneaking into somebody elses house in the middle of the night for no sane reason, seemingly stealing there property and then reacting with a violent outburst for what honestly sounded like a good point (why doesn't she take her meds?) is the proper way to act? Accident or not she has very little ground to stand on considering the all clear she got from the hospitable, the fact that she's not taking steps to fix her problem and cant seem to explain just why she attempted to inflict pretty severe harm on a friend- no bitch deserved to get bounced

Big difference between "I'm sleepy" and "I think I'll try to smash someone's skull with a 360."

This has turned into one of those situations that, if I heard about it on the news, my reaction would be "And you haven't called 911 why?" Frankly, in the same situation, there's a good chance that I would have restrained her and called the police.

And, as for being responsible:
1) She refuses to wear a seat belt.
2) She refuses to take her meds.
3) She just attempted to inflict the same sort of head trauma on Mol.

So where is Erin's responsibility?

Wait he's an Intern. Dude's Job is screwed.

thepyrethatburns:

Sandytimeman:

Fragmented_Faith:

And sneaking into somebody elses house in the middle of the night for no sane reason, seemingly stealing there property and then reacting with a violent outburst for what honestly sounded like a good point (why doesn't she take her meds?) is the proper way to act? Accident or not she has very little ground to stand on considering the all clear she got from the hospitable, the fact that she's not taking steps to fix her problem and cant seem to explain just why she attempted to inflict pretty severe harm on a friend- no bitch deserved to get bounced

Big difference between "I'm sleepy" and "I think I'll try to smash someone's skull with a 360."

This has turned into one of those situations that, if I heard about it on the news, my reaction would be "And you haven't called 911 why?" Frankly, in the same situation, there's a good chance that I would have restrained her and called the police.

You just ignored the "extreme bursts of emotion" part of my post so you could strawman me.

Also I never claimed she was responsible but I don't think Mol or Elliot are being responsible either.

Sandytimeman:

thepyrethatburns:

Sandytimeman:

You just ignored the "extreme bursts of emotion" part of my post so you could strawman me.

Also I never claimed she was responsible but I don't think Mol or Elliot are being responsible either.

No, I didn't but you also never claimed to be prone to violence against others.

Even if I did, you also seem bound and determined to defend her and her actions even though her current condition is largely a result of her actions and she has just jumped the line from "amusingly quirky" to "danger to people around her". Given that you seem to be largely ignoring a lot of the situation, I think I can be granted an omission or two.

Sandytimeman:

Fragmented_Faith:

Sandytimeman:
Dude...that was a dick move. I'm...like not even able to express my hate towards characters I previously liked. Mol and Mr.Geeky there need to go take a drive asap so they can run into another poll.

Seriously he is pretty much responsible for her brain damage, he doesn't know what its like to try and deal with the meds, and he doesn't care because hes hooking up with her roomate anyway. Why should he take any responsibility. Grrr >.>

Uuuuuh, I feel like you are reading too far into this and its tinged with personal experience. That said, I have friends on meds like this. I tolerate whatever emotional state they happen to be in, but attempting physical violence is crossing a line. She threw a fucking xbox at her friend, I think she deserved to be thrown out of doorway. And even if you dont grow out of mental problems, maybe she does need to grow up a little and learn keep her problems from affecting the people she loves. (and now im reading to far into this)

Sandytimeman:
I'm like...really mad at elliot here. He seriously just told someone he knows has mental problems to grow up.

It often does. You grow up, you learn to cope with problems - all kinds of problems, including mental ones.

Don Reba:

Sandytimeman:

It often does. You grow up, you learn to cope with problems - all kinds of problems, including mental ones.

Weird how my dad still has schizophrenia then at nearly 50. Guess he is just not very grown up.

Ahhhh Kratos, your sagely wisdom and perspective is something that we all need in our life.

Sandytimeman:

Don Reba:

Sandytimeman:

Weird how my dad still has schizophrenia then at nearly 50. Guess he is just not very grown up.

Unlike you, I did not make a general statement, like "all mental problems are cured by growing up". I said "often". Erin's problem, specifically, does not seem like the degenerative kind.

.. Well I used to find Geek a bit funny up until now. He could of just shoved her out and gave her a meaningful scolding to only then shut the door- but to seriously throw her out where she face is sliding into the mud? Erin deserved better, and yeah she chucked your Xbox but it was a crappy Xbox anyways- the black version is much better.

*Ahem* anyhow poor Erin. I really like her, not because of her being able to see 'video game characters' but the fact she's very interesting in her own character. Of course, her roommate is with Geek and doesn't help the fact both of those so called 'friends' don't try to cope with her medical issues but instead fight with her. They're not true friends Erin, you're better off without them.

Also Kratos- lol made me chuckle but still feel sad that Geek threw Erin while she was saying how deeply sorry she was, her heart being put into her words in truth (As in she really meant she was sorry overall.) So Geek you are now my least favorite character and I lost all respect for you man. Hope karma bites you in the butt if not erasing all your saves on that crappy Xbox :I

thepyrethatburns:

Sandytimeman:

thepyrethatburns:

No, I didn't but you also never claimed to be prone to violence against others.

Even if I did, you also seem bound and determined to defend her and her actions even though her current condition is largely a result of her actions and she has just jumped the line from "amusingly quirky" to "danger to people around her". Given that you seem to be largely ignoring a lot of the situation, I think I can be granted an omission or two.

I could see Sandytimeman's argument that Mol and Elliot are not being responsible. If they were, they would have called 911 to have Erin locked away, potentially permanently, because she has now become a danger, not only to herself but to others as well (speaking as someone, who during childhood, had to often deal with a close relative having violent nervous break-downs and schizophrenic episodes that required just such a response on my part).

Sandytimeman:

Don Reba:

Sandytimeman:

There's a huge difference between learning to cope with something and being rid of it. But "grow up" in this case was used as a shorthand for Erin's poor coping-ability and egocentric focus, amongst other things, it was never meant to be "Man, just get over you schizophrenia already, quit foolin'!"

Sorry to hear about your dad, I hope he's doing ok. If you've got schizophrenic family I can see how this would be a touchy subject but in relation to this comic I think you're reading things into it that aren't there.

geizr:
I could see Sandytimeman's argument that Mol and Elliot are not being responsible. If they were, they would have called 911 to have Erin locked away, potentially permanently, because she has now become a danger, not only to herself but to others as well (speaking as someone, who during childhood, had to often deal with a close relative having violent nervous break-downs and schizophrenic episodes that required just such a response on my part).

This is very true. I've been so focused on how people seem to want to shift blame to Mol and Elliot that it never occurred to me that maybe they should have been, well, "harsher". This really isn't a situation where anyone wins by turning the other cheek and playing "nice".

Sargent Hoofbeat:
... This is the same guy responsible for Erin's head trauma right? Man, I know you should always side with your GF... but god damn that guy just came across as a prick!

Also, anti-psychotics, if you have a problem but that problem doesn't cause you to want to cause harm to your self and others I don't think you should have to take them... they make you feel like you're not you.

...NOT that I have personal experience or anything... ((Fuck, now everyone thinks I'm a loon)) I did 2 years of Nursing and have a strong medical predisposition in my family.

"Hey mum, I don't want to be a nurse OK, I want to kill people" - Not what I said, but what she heard

I feel like he was justified. Once you start throwing stuff at your friends hard enough to crack walls you've forfeited your right to excuses, and when you cant control yourself you dont deserve to be treated like an adult

So then it turns out Kratos is real and Erin is his alter-ego and then he kills everyone?
Everything is progressing according to plan.

I feel sympathy for both points in the debate.

On one hand: Clutch IS ultimately responsible for Erins accident and her suqsequent decline into insanity(you could argue she should have worn her seat belt, but it´s still his fault.) Plus, she did say she was sorry, and Molly really had to try before she snapped.

But on the other hand, Erin was the one who broke in and started the conflict to begin with, and there really is no justifying trowing a goddamn xbox at someones head.

To be honest, I think both parties are in the wrong here. Clutch should have been much more sympathetic and helpful, considering he´s the one who caused her head injury. Erin shouldn´t have broken into Clutch´s house, and Molly should have thought a bit harder before provoking the woman with a mental disorder.

Analysing is fun!

Edit: In the off-beat chance that Grey and Carter are reading this, you´ve really outdone yourselves with this arc, nice work.

This comic is so depressing lately!

PunkRex:
Is there anything cuter then Erin all scruffy from fistycuffs, kneeling in the mud with no trousers on?

The answers no.

Baby Krogan.

Abedeus:

PunkRex:
Is there anything cuter then Erin all scruffy from fistycuffs, kneeling in the mud with no trousers on?

The answers no.

Baby Krogan.

0_0 Im studying to become a Paleontologist... thats adorable! /)^3^(\

Everybody's forgetting Erin had hallucinations before the crash, they just got worse. And she's an adultt, she chose not to wear a seatbelt, her injuries are her responsibility.

Interesting drama that still manages to retain it's funny video game humor? Tim Buckley hang your sad little head in shame.

Sandytimeman:

The thing to consider is that:

A) She has medication she is suppose to be taking, which she should.

B) Her mental problems are largely her seeing videogame characters and talking to them. This could be considered less a mental problem, and more a of a way to childish imagination running amok.

C)... this is a web comic. Why the are we discussing supposed mental issues in it?

Veterinari:

InTheEnd:

Veterinari:

Snip

Snip

I'm not really sure what the point here is. 1 - Since we don't know anything about the meds speculation is meaningless. But even if the meds were effectively making her worse she shouldn't stop taking it without getting a "go" from her doctor. 2 - Supressed is still better than nothing. 3 - It wouldn't be pointless, it would be the right thing to do. If nothing else because the doctors could then see if something else stuck. Or just tell her to stop taking the meds. Anything is better than what essentially amounts to playing your own shrink. 4 - This is precisely the point. When your illness could be potentially dangerous to those around you (sure, it's been looking pretty benign in the comic so far, but Erin is a pretty severe friggin' schizophrenic) that kind of cynicism is a luxury you can't afford to grant yourself without being in the wrong. I'm not saying that it isn't understandable that she might stop taking the meds, but it isn't allright and I can't fault a person for being angry with her for it.

Just to point 1., we actually know that the meds don't work properly. That was explained in an earlier comic. The pills just mix the hallucinations she has, for example under the effect she sees stuff like Link as a spacemarine.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here