Escape to the Movies: Wrath of the Titans

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

This movie is Hercules... without Hercules!

I doubt there will be a lot of bottom 10 lists with Mirror Mirror. Critics seemed to enjoy it more than expected. It's actually garnering better reviews than Wrath of the Titans. Though if you're theory is correct shouldn't both be in a lot of bottom 10 lists?

Grecian Burn is a fantastic Keatsian Burn if I ever saw one!

Is anyone else kind of fed up of reviews for mediocre movies with references to better movies that have just come out. I might more inclined to see those movies if I perhaps knew a little bit more about them such as, say, an Escape to the Movies episode about them. Why waste episodes on forgettable rubbish if there are more interesting things to write about?

Anchorman 2....Good to see Will returning to his ONLY good roll lol.

Some movies feel like videogames. District 9 is a great example. A protagonist gets infected with a mutation that allows him access to both human and alien weaponry, has to fight a variety of factions in a complicated social situation, and ends with a mech fight.

OK I have got to see myself some "The Raid". That looks like it's just down my alley.

Probably won't be showing where I live for the next year or so... if at all :/
Must remember to remember.

I'd probably enjoy this over say, God of War, if only because Sam Worthington's character isn't a misogynistic unlikeable douchebag like Kratos and the whole concept of "hyper-violent angsty anti-villains" annoys me. *Sighs* I miss Kain.

Hmmm thought it would be cool to see actual titans fighting for once.

Anchorman was a very quotable movie, but I never really considered it a good one.

I didn't go see the new Clash of the Titans, so I'm going to pass on this one (wow, was that really in 2010?)

The Raid...I'd have to see more about it to decide if I wanna see it, what was shown here was not enough to determine if I'd actually want to see it or not.

Detention, never even heard of it, but it has Dane Cook in it, so I'm already a bit on guard. After looking into it though, it might be worth a watch.

And I know Bob said it was bad, I still think I'm gonna see Mirror, Mirror. I still think it looks better than Snow White and the Huntsman. Plus let's face it...Snow White and the Huntsman is a movie about Kristen Stewart apparently being hotter than Charlize Theron. I know it's a fantasy movie, but come on. Even that has limits.

My wife will probably drag me to the Julia Roberts movie, and I gotta know something. Did you actually see it to come up with your opinion on the movie or are you just going by the previews?

Ha Homeless super sayians that was hilarious.

Wassup with the Escapist spoiling their reviews in the title? I'm not in favor of that! Part of the fun of watching this week's Zero Punctuation or Escape to the Movies is finding out what they thought about this thing that recently came out. There's a certain element of suspense there, why spoil that? I mean, who gains anything from it at all? Does the Escapist community really have that short of an attention span?

Also, maybe this opinion is typical of simpleton, non-movie buffs such as myself, but I thought Julia Roberts as the evil queen in a snow white movie sounded like a pretty good idea. Can't speak for the result, and I'll probably never be able to, but just the idea of it makes a certain kind of sense.

I can't wait for Anchor man 2 either.

SnakeoilSage:
I'd probably enjoy this over say, God of War, if only because Sam Worthington's character isn't a misogynistic unlikeable douchebag like Kratos and the whole concept of "hyper-violent angsty anti-villains" annoys me. *Sighs* I miss Kain.

a lot of us miss Kain :/. he was a badass, unlike a lot of villains we have these days

OT: The Raid looked better then the movie being reviewed...

Im actually hoping anchorman two sucks a giant one just cause... well, ididnt see what was special or great about the first one, and im pretty much crucified if it comes up (the samne for napoleon dynamite) with how Im some kinda hipster or snob or just dont like good movies or something, and the same people that tell me all are the ones that are going to be creaming themselves about a sequel to an average if not below movie.

but thats just me.

and to be more on topic I didnt see the need for a sequel for this, though I guess worse sequels have been made.

The best performance the first one had was Paris Hilton's diamond incrusted dildo, AKA, Perseus' Sword.

Looking forward to avoid the second movie then, I sure regret watching the first one... or did I?.

I thought the movie kinda sucked... but I really did sit for a moment and try to remember if these characters were in the last one... and then I tried to remember the last one...

I was hard pressed to come up with much.

Why doesn't someone just make a God of War movie already? The first ones plot is exciting enough for it to make an epic action movie but not too far out there to confuse people who don't know anything about Greek mythology.

Also Kratos > Perseus. Just saying.

I'll admit, I enjoyed Clash as a nice Friday night, pizza and popcorn rental with the whole famn damily. It was entertaining to say the least. I'll probably hold off on watchin Wrath until it hits rental status as well.

As for The Raid trailer, all I can say is, O.O Jesus.

I gotta say, I didn't expect these to be the movies you focused on.

I honestly figured it would either be Raid or even Bully. Both seem a bit more in the wheelhouse of gaming audiences.

Pretty much as I was expecting then...

Funnily enough I was banging my head against the wall earlier trying to remember the name of that kickass sounding Indonesian action film, only for you to hand it to me on a plate. Thanks very much.

One way you could take the "It feels like a video game" criticism is that video game level action works because it is in a video game. In a movie, it doesn't really work because it is much harder to get invested in actions scenes.

delete this post please

GiantRaven:
Is anyone else kind of fed up of reviews for mediocre movies with references to better movies that have just come out. I might more inclined to see those movies if I perhaps knew a little bit more about them such as, say, an Escape to the Movies episode about them. Why waste episodes on forgettable rubbish if there are more interesting things to write about?

I think he just reviews based on what's screened for critics, not what movies he goes and sees himself. You make a good point though, if he's going to see them anyway I'd rather hear about good movies than bad ones.

I just checked, neither The Raid or Detention are playing anywhere near me... Just 8 fucking screenings of John Carter.

Just seen it, my overriding thought whilst watching it was "my god one of the writers must have serious daddy issues".

Agent Larkin:
Will probably go see it anyway. Liam Neeson alone is usually a good reason to see a movie.

Except for that version of Les Mis.

And "Anchorman 2?" REALLY? Come on that movie did not deserve a sequel. One or two funny moments at most.

Humor is subjective therefore people would disagree with you and much more. It warrants a sequel to some because a comedy basically can't be bad because one person will find it funny, kind like how theres a fetish for everyone.

------------------------------

Whoever said that he was going to bash on Retake Mass Effect in this episode needs to pay up. Honestly, The Raid looked kinda boring. I'd rather watch Jackie Chan then this since it just doesn't look that interesting.

Aw c'mon moviebob. If you have a good movie you want us to see, how about reviewing THAT one (especially if it is less well known) rather than giving a 5 minute review on a sequel movie that, lets face it, will probably not sway the opinions of too many ppl about watching it or not.

And then teasing us at the end with the better movie.

Wait, what's The Raid about?
It looks like a SWAT/police movie set in China/Japan, with the karate deliberately played up to create some kind of action, self-aware comedy hybrid.
... hold on a sec. I just need to write that idea down.

Abandon4093:
Why doesn't someone just make a God of War movie already? The first ones plot is exciting enough for it to make an epic action movie but not too far out there to confuse people who don't know anything about Greek mythology.

Just a guess but if they made a God of War movie that managed to capture the feel of the games then it would be a rated R film. Kind of tough to get a studio to invest in a rated R film with a large effects budget since they usually want to shoot for the PG 13 rating to make more money.

Ashley Blalock:

Abandon4093:

Just a guess but if they made a God of War movie that managed to capture the feel of the games then it would be a rated R film. Kind of tough to get a studio to invest in a rated R film with a large effects budget since they usually want to shoot for the PG 13 rating to make more money.

We need to go back to the 90s when a studio wouldn't touch a project unless it was going to be certificated 15 or upwards.

I'm getting pretty tired of potential being squandered because they were afraid of scenes being too violent/sexual.

Togs:
Just seen it, my overriding thought whilst watching it was "my god one of the writers must have serious daddy issues".

Not seen the film yet, but issues are all that Greek mythology was about. And I mean seriousssssss issues.

So that theme might just have come from the source material. Especially if it's dealing with the relationships between what is essentially 3 generations of superbeings.

Titans, Gods and Demi Gods.

They all pretty much mistrusted/betrayed/persecuted each other at some point.

All I took from this: THERE'S GOING TO BE AN ANCHORMAN 2?? WHOA. SIGN ME UP.

Maybe I'll see it on the premise that it might be even 1/8th as interesting as God of War. That's about all that I'll take from the review of the actual movie.

I mean, to say a movie feels like a video game isnt saying video games are bad. The two are very different art forms. it generally means that the movie doesnt feel real, despite having been billed as a Live action movie. Similarly, people were critical of "Heavy Rain" for feeling to much like a movie, and Yahtzee was critical of Mass Effect 1 for being too much like a book. To say it feels like another art form is not to say the art form is bad.

Other than that, good review?

Bob, you are losing all credibility you had previously.

You said that Immortals was good compared to this? Immortals was a joke of a movie that butchered Greek Mythology to play some "here's the movie 300 with Greek Gods" thing. It really ruined the basis of the lore behind Zeus and the rest of Mount Olympus. Also, where the hell was Hates? Overall a complete bull**** that was more of this instant-action dribble meant into mediocrity.

And the Titans of Immortals? Comparing those to the Titans of Wrath of the Titans and it's just very easy to see the winner. Immortal's are just grey-skinned, half naked humans. Titans' looked core to the mythological writing of being living representations of huge natural disasters.

And last week you made fun of the Hunger Games movie because of character naems, when it was book based?

Oh, Bob, what kind of brain damage has happened to you?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here