Escapist Podcast: Bonus: Mass Effect 3 With Spoilers Part 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

NoTroll:
Susan is a bit of a bully in conversation.

You consider asking people to explain/stick up for their statements being a bully? It's easy to just say "This is art, but this isn't," but explaining why you believe that or feel that way adds a great deal of context and revelation to the discussion.

Susan Arendt:

NoTroll:

You consider asking people to explain/stick up for their statements being a bully? It's easy to just say "This is art, but this isn't," but explaining why you believe that or feel that way adds a great deal of context and revelation to the discussion.

Indeed. You remind me more of like a host of a panel show then a bully. Without your role, the show would be, IMHO, much duller.

That said, in future is there any way you could get two people who disagree on a issue and you act as the moderator between the two. Like I really liked this podcast but I think if we had someone who was very much against changing the ending the discussion could of been livelier.

370999:

Susan Arendt:

NoTroll:

Indeed. You remind me more of like a host of a panel show then a bully. Without your role, the show would be, IMHO, much duller.

That said, in future is there any way you could get two people who disagree on a issue and you act as the moderator between the two. Like I really liked this podcast but I think if we had someone who was very much against changing the ending the discussion could of been livelier.

I agree, but we don't want to force anyone to "play" a particular role. We tend to agree on things much of the time, which doesn't make for overly contentious discussion. It'd be great if there was more division on such a hot topic like this, but we don't want to fake it just to facilitate the entertainment. Part of what I personally really appreciate about working here is that we feel it's very important to just be ourselves, because we're nerds just like you guys. Well, we're maybe a bit more boring. But otherwise very similar. :)

I don't think you characterization matters that much in a way because, many times people are uplifted despite their personal feeling. I like the thermal change it forced me on the harder difficulties to use more weapons than the first game.

Guy Jackson:
Even if you're right (and I don't think you are) 4000 still does not get you the ending where Shepard lives. That needs 5000.

SNIP

Total Military Strength: 7515
Effective Military Strength: 3757.5

I remember reading somewhere that there's a choice that lowers the requirement from 5,000 to 4,000... I think it's the saving Anderson thing, but again, I haven't tested it.

Also, the list is missing some things. The Heart, Wrex, Mordin, Salarian STG, etc...

Not saying you CAN get 8,000 for sure. Just saying, I've seen some convincing posts about it.

I'm amazed that with a whole group of game journalists in one room, trying to say what changing the ending was like, no-one made the simile of pulling a review/changing the score based on advertiser complaint or fan outrage.

my ideas for a mass effect spin-off and possible series.
Mass effect: krogan rebellion,
Mass effect: first contact,
Mass effect Rachni Wars,
Mass effect: rebuilding Tuchanka (set directly after the events of mass effect 3, after the cure is built),
Mass effect: We are Legion (play as a Geth finding sentience and first rebel)
Mass effect: Beginning (play as shepard using the background information on mass effect 3 like sole survivor and war hero (more DLC than anything but still a cool idea IMHO))
Mass effect: Cerberus Uprising (the illusive man when he was less illusive)
Mass effect: Citadel (play within the time of first meeting of the council and bounce around the political ideas of all the new races as they try to come together)

a few ideas formed from the podcast love it. hope it was interesting :P

Finally finished Mass Effect 3 last night, and immediately listened to part 2 & 3 of the Mass Effect 3 podcast.

I'm 100% behind Justin on this issue, I think the ending is genuinely broken. It's not that I don't like it, it's just that I find it so jarring compared to the rest of the game, indeed the rest of the trilogy itself. I can handle my Shepard sacrificing herself for the good of the galaxy (and leaving Kaidan brokenhearted once more, although it grieves me). I can handle things going down the way they do, because hey, this is basically the end of the world as we know it. What I don't understand is why the mass relays would be destroyed in the process (it's a bit of a silly move on their part, since it means no more traveling, and kinda closes the door for more ME games, barring prequels). Worst still, why would my crew, who was on Earth with me just minutes, okay hours before, have fallen back to the Normandy, and gone through a relay or two. How would Kaidan, who'd just told my Shepard how much he loved her, who was with her during the final push to the beam, how would he end up on the Normandy?? It just doesn't add up, and that's what bugs me the most. Oh, and the crowing "wtf" moment was when they dropped me back at the Galaxy Map after all that, that certainly elicited a "wtf" reaction, right there.
That being said, the first 35 hours were awesome, the journey poignant, the missions interesting. The last 10 minutes... not so much. Like Justin (again), I agree that the ending's broken and that a few extra scenes would be nice. I agree that at the end, it felt like gathering and uniting all these different fleets and races was pointless. Total letdown. I don't necessarily need a "yay, we won, let's go have cake" ending, but I need closure. The magic cupcake ending (loved that term), as it is, just doesn't cut it.

Not buying the indoctrination theory, I really don't like the idea that the whole game was just some kind of acid trip, or something. Really wish there was an option "D", which destroyed the Reapers while sparring EDI and the geth. I went with synthesis, ultimately, because I thought "crap, I didn't jump through all those hoops, get EDI and Joker together, got the geth and quarians to stop shooting each other, to have them all killed". But it really left a bitter taste, because, hey, I'm pretty sure not everybody wants to be a cyborg.

In the end, I don't know how they're going to alter things with the Ending DLC, but... *sigh* In addition to the expected sense of loss which comes from the reaching the ending of a beloved series, I'm just really bummed by this ending.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here