Escapist Podcast: 039: Game of Thrones and Survival Horror

Pages PREV 1 2

There's something about the whole "where will the next Elder Scrolls take place" debate that really rubs me the wrong way. Sure, you want to go the Black Marsh, because you read the Argonian Account, and would like to see larger, older sentient Hist trees, and use the travel system (which incidentally, uses rootworms, "you're being digested as you travel", it's not as glamorous as riding a silt strider). But there are so many different provinces in Tamriel!

There's Elsweyr with its arid badlands, lush sub-tropical forests (few settlements, though); Valenwood, with its rainforests and lush forests. High Rock would make an excellent site for the next Elder Scrolls game because it mixes coastal areas, loose forests and rocky, mountainous terrain. There are also a whole bunch of islands not far off the coast. From a roleplaying point of view, it offers a myriad of political intrigues, through all ages. I'm also curious to see the Adamantine Tower.
Hammerfell would also be an interesting setting, as it has the Alik'r desert as well as maritime cities and farmlands. I know those two destinations were already the setting of Daggerfall, but I'd really like to revisit them.
And let's not forget Orsinium (even though it's technically part of High Rock).

Last, but not least, there's the Summerset Isle (renamed Alinor since the rise of the Aldmeri Dominion in 4E29), but I'm still hoping that they'll take us there with the Skyrim DLC to go toe to toe with the Thalmor.

Sorry for rambling on, I just can't help myself when it comes to Elder Scrolls lore...

I'm not a huuuuge fan of survival horror, but I do enjoy the occasional game of the genre (The first one I remember was the 7th Guest, and it had puzzles to boot). However, despite all the praise I've heard, I just can't seem to get into Amnesia. I don't find it scary, it makes me nauseated if anything... Someone please explain to me what the big deal is, I just can't seem to enjoy this game, and feel like I'm missing out...

Parshooter:
Ironic how Movie Bob's intermission this week had a part about how horror movies are more comedies than horror.

krellen:
Pet Peeve - please don't refer to Fallout 3 as "Fallout". It's not Fallout. It's Fallout 3.

Thanks.

He was referring to movies, not videogames

Anyone who's a fan of survival horror is doing themselves a disservice if they don't try Amnesia. I highly recommend that game, and it only makes me all the more excited for Machine for Pigs.

For those who find themselves lacking in the horror fix, but have Half Life, try the mod Cry of Fear. You won't regret it

Edit: quote fail

fuck double post

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook