70: Canadian Content

"Shania Twain's songs don't make me cry maple leaves anymore than songs by American country singer Faith Hill. But knowing that someone came from a background similar to yours has an effect on you. These laws aren't about content. They're about national pride and developing a country where children feel they can grow up to be whatever they want.
"Because of these stars, Canadians know they can grow up to be comedians and singers. They know they have a chance. The same cannot be said for videogames."

Dana Massey explores the border between American companies and "Canadian Content."

Canadian Content

I'd definitely like to see more Canadian government support for domestic studios, and more Canadian content in domestically-produced games. Heck, Ubisoft could make a "Tom Clancy North" game about Joint Task Force Two.

Well, I live in the Montreal suburbs and I am quite aware that Ubi Montreal created Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed. Actually, I am quite proud of it too and I tell everyone I know any chance I get, like when a tv ad is playing.

I may not know where every single game I play is made, but when it does come to my attention that a development studio close to my home is making games I really enjoy, it doesn't matter if the company is canadian or not. It still makes me proud because I know lots of its employees are fellow french-canadians and that fact alone makes the government help worth it.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't agree with the article's author or Ajar. I do wish the governement started helping startups. But we can't deny the fact that canadians are definitely profiting from this even when the money is given to an outside company. It'd be a whole different story if the company started outsourcing most of its development though.

Absolutely. One of my best friends works for EA Montreal.

This event looks like it might be a step in the right direction.

http://www.newmediabc.com/events_detail.asp?nEvent=252

"Telefilm Canada to launch The Great Canadian Video Game Competition

In partnership with industry, Telefilm Canada will be launching an innovative competition to create the next great Canadian video game.

Executive Director Wayne Clarkson will unveil Telefilm's Great Canadian Video Game Competition, November 8, at the Montreal International Game Summit. The initiative is sponsored by industry partners Electronic Arts, Radical Entertainment and Ubisoft."

I'm looking forward to hearing more about their plans.

"Does anyone know Ubisoft is working on Assassin's Creed in Montreal? How about Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia? Many Europeans would be outraged to learn that EA's cricket, rugby and FIFA Street franchises are created in Nova Scotia. They even make NBA Live in British Columbia!"

Pretty sure that Mr Joe Blogs wouldn't, but anyone reading this site, or even IGN or gamespot, would be pretty aware of this activity happening in Canada.

FunkyJ:
"Does anyone know Ubisoft is working on Assassin's Creed in Montreal? How about Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia? Many Europeans would be outraged to learn that EA's cricket, rugby and FIFA Street franchises are created in Nova Scotia. They even make NBA Live in British Columbia!"

Pretty sure that Mr Joe Blogs wouldn't, but anyone reading this site, or even IGN or gamespot, would be pretty aware of this activity happening in Canada.

Hehe - I have a theory about this too :) Check back tomorrow for my opinions on that.

lepidus:

FunkyJ:

Hehe - I have a theory about this too :) Check back tomorrow for my opinions on that.

*looks at watch*

It's tomorrow!

Landslide:

lepidus:

FunkyJ:

*looks at watch*

It's tomorrow!

Yeah... ummm... Well, next time my name pops up in the Escapist. I got my issues confused ;)

lepidus:

Landslide:

lepidus:

FunkyJ:

*looks at watch*

It's tomorrow!

Yeah... ummm... Well, next time my name pops up in the Escapist. I got my issues confused ;)

Damn, dude. Dana pulled a Summa.

Fletcher:

lepidus:

Landslide:

lepidus:

FunkyJ:

*looks at watch*

It's tomorrow!

Damn, dude. Dana pulled a Summa.

OK, now read my logic in this issue! ;) Calendars are for chumps!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here