The Big Picture: Shell Shock

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Shell Shock

MovieBob gives you several ways for the new movie adaptation of TMNT to go wrong.

Watch Video

Hey Bob I got a proposal for you: We'll admit we weren't into the underground comics first when YOU admit you had ZERO understanding of "that other thing mentioned" in last week's episode. Deal?

You won't call him Dr. Eggman for the same reason we won't call that ending Mass Effect.

Good video. I hope they use the 90s cartoon version for the basis of the new movie. I never liked the newer version of Raphael.

Also, I cringe every time someone says "Dr. Eggman". Ughhhh...

Wait a minute a here, there's one thing I don't understand:

Are there really a significant number of people who care about TMNT?

Thank you Bob, for letting me know that I am not the only one who refuses to use the name Eggman.

Heh. Eggman Dr.Robotnik.

Sure there may be alternates to all sorts of known nostalgic comics or games but the more wide spread ones tend to be what people want to see happen, makes sense too since it's the one they most remember.

i was into the original underground comic first.....and then the rpg. so yeah i'm old.

"Turtles from Outer Space" makes it sound like that half-ased Muppets movie from about 10 years ago, where Muppets/Disney tried to pull off that Gonzo was really an alien, and that his race really WAS from outer space.

In the *0's Turtles, and the 2000's Turtles, most fans either forget or overlook that the thing or creating factor of the Turtles was an outside source, which was from outer space/another dimension.

In the 80's Turtles, Shredder got the mutagen from krang, who originated from Dimension X. In the 2000's Turtles, the mutagen was a by-product created by the Utrom, a race of highly intelligent, slug-like creatures, who were transporting a psychotically evil member of their species, who became Shredder.

So, there's always been an outside or alien influence on the Turtles. It was mostly relegated to exposition, though, for most of the series.

Great video Bob :)

I think it's very important for a series to have a consistent setting, but I agree that we fans need to be a bit more flexible when it comes to alterations. I can certainly get myself pretty worked up over minor changes made to the Planescape and Thief franchises, so I'm hardly a paragon of flexibility, but I've also learned that it's not always worthwhile to be so wrapped up in minutia. Take Thief III - I think it's a worthwhile criticism that the stealth system was overly simplified from the originals, but I really need to let go of the facial scar even if his eye was plucked out and the scar didn't appear in Thief II, dammit.

*ahem*

Issues of "canon" are particularly dangerous when the IP is involved in lots of different things, as your Ninja Turtles example shows. Star Wars is another great example since there are substantial book, tv, comic, and game series drawing from the original source material. Even before the prequels things were rather convoluted, and of course now the situation is really confusing.

The turtles? Dark and gritty. Shredder? Not terribly important. Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady? Didn't exist.

Triceratons? F*CKING EXISTED (even before the Turtles, in fact, in Grunts). I want more Triceraton-related media. Triceratons, triceratons, triceratons. Can I tell you guys about triceratons? They're anthro Triceratops. In space. Out of any TMNT villain, I want a live action version of THEM.

Oh, and when I think of the foundational core Batman villain, I now think the Joker. You can thank Heath Ledger and Mark Hamill for that.

Besides, the Riddler's arch-nemesis needs to be The Question anyway; they'd look like a perfect freaking match, judging by that Batman oneshot anthology that released late 2011...

DVS BSTrD:
Hey Bob I got a proposal for you: We'll admit we weren't into the underground comics first when YOU admit you had ZERO understanding of "that other thing mentioned" in last week's episode. Deal?

You won't call him Dr. Eggman for the same reason we won't call that ending Mass Effect.

Don't even bother. We know he does that kind of shit to get cheap views, and he didn't even play a single minute of the games. He's not even worth your thoughts, or even the time it took to type that message, DVS BSTrD.

I was never a huge fan of the original works. Hell, when I first encountered them through the cartoon I thought they were a ripoff of the Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters comic that had a brief run in the mid 80s. I later learned it was the other way around. Of course the first live action movie brought me around and I've had an off again on again type of interest in the property.

It's easy for me to admit that I wasn't into the underground comics. Mainly because I've never been into the turtles.

Growing up in the early 90s, I did see a lot of the merchandise and even saw bits and pieces of the cartoon show and movies on occasion at the after-school program I attended. But I never really understood the appeal. Near as my five-year-old self could tell, it was just a bunch of identical turtles with different color masks, different weapon choices, and a ridiculous obsession with flaccid pizza talking in mildly raspy Californian accents. Not that interesting.

In high school, I was one of the few guys who thought of the artist whenever someone mentioned the name Michelangelo. And I don't even care about art.

Regarding the premise change for the movie: Meh, at least this means the internet will stop whining about Mass Effect 3. Hopefully they'll keep whining about this until Attack of the Clones in 3D comes out.

Unrelated: I resent having to type advertising slogans into the captcha box.

SoopaSte123:
Good video. I hope they use the 90s cartoon version for the basis of the new movie. I never liked the newer version of Raphael.

Also, I cringe every time someone says "Dr. Eggman". Ughhhh...

I am the robotnik. They are the robotnik. I am the hedgehog.

Goo goo g'joob.

I hate that this great show has been forced to be a huge "Grow up fanboys". All the moaning about TMNT and Mass Effect this past week has only proved how immature fans can be.

Haven't they established that Eggman is an insult used by Sonic against Dr. Robotnik. Also I remember Bob insulting the change in origin for the new Spider-Man movie not to long ago based mostly on shots from the trailer.

MovieBob:
Shell Shock

MovieBob gives you several ways for the new movie adaptation of TMNT to go wrong.

Watch Video

Another note on Mr. Freeze.

After the 60's TV series, he was regulated to a joke character nobody took seriously, particularly when the Batman comics were slowly shifting to a darker, more serious tone. That was until Batman: the animated series reinvented him with a new back story and a VERY cold personality that we got the guy we know and love today.

Born in 87, I loved the turtles and Ghostbusters.

Fingers crossed this is good. REALLY CROSSED.

I really ejoyed the latest animated TMNT Film. I wish they'd just do more of that. I think the bay backlash stuff is because he won't do that. He'll just throw feces at the screen and continue to troll movie goers.

Axolotl:

Are there really a significant number of people who care about TMNT?

It's April 3. Not April 1

Dude. What's wrong with the name Eggman?

I'm a pretty big fan of the sonic series, and I have no problem with the name Eggman. I mean, I did at first, but now? Now I just don't care about that. It's not that big a deal IMO.

The only reason you like the idea of them being from Brooklyn is because you're from Brooklyn.
If you weren't then you'd see how asinine it is.

MICHAEL BAY IS THE NEW UWE BOLL!!!!

Has bashing fans become a focus for this series?

Oh Bob explains it all well enough and he's certainly entitled to talk about whatever he wants, but I'm not sure why he focuses on all of the bad fans IN ALL CASES.
Didn't he say once a long time ago that you shouldn't focus on the stupid, angry and outspoken people?

A big "Meh..." from me.

Let's talk about Mass Effect 3's ending some more and maybe he'll actually investigate the matter instead of randomly bash fans for something by far most of them didn't do.

Once again, when you show your knowledge on a subject that's interesting, it makes for a rather enlightening episode. One question though. Was that photo of all the toys in a pile taken out of my old toy box by any chance?

I do kinda like how they tried to train American audiences to start calling him "Eggman", though. It wasn't his real name, but rather a name that Sonic called him to tease him. Better attempt to fix a translation than with Peach.

daxterx2005:
The only reason you like the idea of them being from Brooklyn is because you're from Brooklyn.

Bob's not from Brooklyn. He's from Bah-ston. Skip to 4:23 for the explanation.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/4160-Out-of-the-Park

I much prefer a movie closer to the 2003 cartoon. It swings closer to the mirage comics side of the spectrum put could still swing a PG13 rating.

Robotnic is still a better villain name than Eggman.

daxterx2005:

Actually he's from Boston.

And the Mario Bros being from Brooklyn makes a lot of sense being that they're so out of place with everything else in Mushroom Kingdom.

DVS BSTrD:

Not only that you make a petition to make everyone call him Robotnic. Just like him...

Completely reasonable

Xanthious:
I was never a huge fan of the original works. Hell, when I first encountered them through the cartoon I thought they were a ripoff of the Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters comic that had a brief run in the mid 80s. I later learned it was the other way around. Of course the first live action movie brought me around and I've had an off again on again type of interest in the property.

the hamsters weren't quite a rip off they were a parody of a parody. which makes them meta as hell. until boris the bear came and killed them all, hamster, aardvark, turtle, and kangaroo alike. the whole mutant animal thing really blew up for a minute. much like the 90's the companies began catering to speculators and everything went to shit.

Not G. Ivingname:

MovieBob:
Shell Shock

Watch Video

Another note on Mr. Freeze.

After the 60's TV series, he was regulated to a joke character nobody took seriously, particularly when the Batman comics were slowly shifting to a darker, more serious tone. That was until Batman: the animated series reinvented him with a new back story and a VERY cold personality that we got the guy we know and love today.

And then Ahnold and Schumacher came along and did their best to ruin the character again.

Whoa, didn't know Mr. Freeze was from the 60's tv show. Speaking of freeze, I need to turn off the heat.

:Throws a vhs copy of TMNT3 onto a raging fire filled with other copys:

but moviebob michael bay shouldn't change the story of teenage mutant ninja turtles it will ruin its artistic integrity and set the medium back 1000 years

Look, can't we all agree that, no matter what, the new turtles movie HAS to be better than the live-action TV version with the Power Rangers crossover episode?

... Wait, I forgot. Michael Bay producing. Yeah, all bets are off.

And now I'm remembering my lesbian crush on banana-yellow jumpsuit April O'Neil again... stupid, sexy 80's April...

RaikuFA:
Born in 87, I loved the turtles and Ghostbusters.

Fingers crossed this is good. REALLY CROSSED.

>.> Michel Bay is 'attached', would be wiser to lower your expectations.

which leads to .....

Bob, i don't think the new TMNT movie will suck because of the new origin story, i like its going to suck because MICHEL BAY is involved.

Wow, I absolutely and utterly agree with you in a video for once. Not to say it's been a really rare thing. But then again it sometimes sort of has.

Oh, and nice to know the 60s live action Batman series had put those villains that I love on top, inventing Mr. Freeze. Personally I always hated that show for undermining my original concept of Batman. Making it out to be an overly campy, ambiguously dumb show. Hell I didn't know Batman was dark until the Tim Burton movie. Now at least I have a new appreciation for that campy campy show.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here