Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Review

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is a few bullets short of a full mag.

Read Full Article

No mention of the horrendous collision detection or very shoddy controls? (though I'll admit the latter could be my fumbling)

Surely the runningout of ammo is a good thing? As in the PS1 era Resi's where you had to be conservative with your ammo or you'll die.

I actually liked this game. To me it was at least a 2.5 if not 3/5.

"ridiculous outfits"? have you even played a CAPCOM game before?

Spot1990:
Surely the runningout of ammo is a good thing? As in the PS1 era Resi's where you had to be conservative with your ammo or you'll die.

I'm assuming the problem is, whilst in previous games you can avoid fighting zombies, in this the whole point is you can't pursue forward until you've killed everything?

That being said, the reviewer's failed to point out how this is that much worse than Left4Dead.

I played L4D2, and honestly I didn't find it to be any more innovative or interesting than what this appears to be. In fact, the only difference seems to be the switch from 1st to 3rd person. Is anyone able to elaborate how L4D is supposedly that much better?

Why am I not surprised?

Resident Evil is one of those franchises that desperately needs an overhaul, the series is so convoluted now.

Resident Evil 4 was the last good Resi game I played.

You know what, I think I'll go dust off my PSone with the attached screen and go play Resident Evil 1 and 2. Much better games.

hey paul not to be a troll or anything but you got the name of the developers the wrong way, It's slant six...

Terramax:

Spot1990:

I'm assuming the problem is, whilst in previous games you can avoid fighting zombies, in this the whole point is you can't pursue forward until you've killed everything?

I've played a little bit, you don't have to kill everything but you can't really run past guys with guns and not expect to get shot up. The thing is they don't give you limited ammo to use wisely, they give you a ton of ammo that you have to spray at the enemy because it does very little damage. So it isn't the tense kind of 'no ammo', it's the idiotic 'where can I pick up an NPC gun so I can spray some more?' kind of ammo. The controls aren't tight so your shots are sloppy and hit detection sucks, if they were good and the humans couldn't take insane amounts of bullets to the face, then the amount of ammo you got would be too much, to a horrendous degree.

It's too bad because the concept of this game sounds amazing in theory.

What's up with Spectre's goggles?

It's like he's wearing toilet role tubes on his eyes.

Eh, I bought this with three friends. And do you know what? We love it! Yes, the game is technically and graphically not very good but playing through some awesome Resident Evil environments and scenarios while blasting zombies in the face with some great weapons and special melee kills, all with three of your friends, is just great fun.

We've played the campaign through three times altogether and it's still enjoyable.

Really stupid to do the whole "YOU CAN ONLY PLAY AS NEMESIS ON 360!!! DERP!!!"

Capcoms gonna flop really soon, I gotta feeling.

A modern survival horror game not being Horrorific or survivalish enough, what a surprise.

Spot1990:

That's the point in survival games, scarce ammo, health and savepoints.

Ah Capcom, when will you stop injecting this franchise with the T-Virus and let the Racoon City incident just die? How many games do we need about this same event?

If you wanted to keep going back to Umbrella so much you shouldn't have killed them off with a text crawl in the first 5 minutes of Resi 4.

The times I actually WANT a reboot/reimagining don't come along too often but I think in this case Capcom need to step back and take a serious look at what's happened to their franchise.

Call me a sucker but I still wanna buy this game when it inevitably goes on sale in a bit and get some friends to join me ><

The idea of playing 1 dimensional villains running around in raccoon city appeals to me way too much...

A bad resident evil game? You don't say!

Spot1990:

That's the thing though, it was intense because you got a pistol with six shots and your own manly (or womanly) fists. When you're toting around a machine gun with 200 rounds then things aren't tense until you get down to zero, at which point you're utterly screwed.

Is this supposed to be Capcom's L4D clone? Or something different?

It's not supposed to be a survival horror game. You're not a lone agent trapped in the middle of an outbreak with sparse weapons and ammo, you're a fully trained special forces squad equipped for a specific mission. The game is supposed to be a shooter based in the RE universe; the brand doesn't instantly mean survival horror.

I had to wait for the PC version because, for some unapparent reason, it was delayed about 2 months. Good thing I stuck to my guns and waited, because now I know not to get it. :D

Another victim of FPSitis.
Or TPSitis in this case.
Do people never learn?
If you've people who like a series, they most likely like the genre of the games too.
Why would you make another game in the series and switch genre?
Oh, you like coffee? Have some coffee flavoured tampons! You'll love them.

So you try to start a game thats based around team based 4 player coop BY YOURSELF and get mad because nobody joins you.

And you get frustrated and give it a low score.

Sounds about right.

Don Savik:
So you try to start a game thats based around team based 4 player coop BY YOURSELF and get mad because nobody joins you.

Sounds about right.

I would too. Left 4 Dead is also based around team based 4 player Coop but it's at least playable by yourself. So is Borderlands.

CD-R:

Don Savik:

Sounds about right.

I would too. Left 4 Dead is also based around team based 4 player Coop but it's at least playable by yourself. So is Borderlands.

So whats the exact qualifier here? Do all games based around team coop have to be playable by yourself (defeating the point of the game)? What about Team Fortress 2? or Other team oriented games? And Borderlands is boring when played single player, so by your logic it should've gotten a bad score.

And since Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 5, Mercenaries DS, Revelations, all the movies, WHY do we still think the games are supposed to be "hardcore survival horror" (whatever the hell people think that means anyways). Its a third person shooter with horror elements equivalent to dead space. They didn't market it as a scary horror game even, so its not false hype. From day 1 we could tell what the mood of the game was going to be. Just no pleasing the internet I guess.

FinalDream:
Eh, I bought this with three friends. And do you know what? We love it! Yes, the game is technically and graphically not very good but playing through some awesome Resident Evil environments and scenarios while blasting zombies in the face with some great weapons and special melee kills, all with three of your friends, is just great fun.

We've played the campaign through three times altogether and it's still enjoyable.

You know , just because you enjoyed it doesn't make it a good game . People enjoy bad games all the time , just sayin'.

OT: yeah i think the whole survival/horror genre has turned into action/gore . But then again , gamers these days would complain if the game was too hard so ... I think this is what we call a lose/lose situation.

Zhukov:

i imagine that if someone threw a bunch of quarters in the air, he'd be blind.

So... it's pretty much a Left 4 Dead clone gone wrong.

I completely agree that the franchise turned bonkers after Resident Evil 4, I think I'll dust off the first Resident Evil game (NOT the PS1 version... it sucks... seriously...), or better yet, I'll dust off 2 & 3, those were amazing.

Zhukov:

it makes him look like a snail

I agree with this review. Your AI teammates are useless. I could not get past a certain boss because they literally stood and stared at a wall while I tried to fight for my life. The story is an utter mess and assumes you are familiar with Resident Evil 2's storyline--something I know only as a generalization. The coolest part of the game, when they are left to die and have to hold out, you don't even get to play but instead are just told about it through a cutscene. I wanted to play that! There are also huge time jumps in the storyline, and I often found myself going, "Wait, when did I get here?"
And trying to find anyone to play with...yeah, good luck with that. I left my game open and I got through three levels and still no one joined my game. However, if I click quickplay, I find something instantly. Makes me wonder if there's a connection issue or something.
Did not like the multiplayer, but that's because I suck. Unloaded a full magazine of a SMG into another player and it didn't even phase him. He runs up, knocks me down with a shoulder charge, then kills me instantly with a heavy melee, so yeah.

All that being said though, I found the game to be rather amusing when I actually played with real people. Get even one more person in your group and the campaign becomes much more fun.

had a feeling it will suck. todays RE games are nothing more but a shooter. no horror what so ever. i miss the tension we had in the original 3 games. fighting hordes of zombies is not scary. having a handful of them gives more tension in my opinion. not that i was scared really in the first 3 games but it did gave you a uneasy feeling at times.

i pretty much lost interest in this franchise.

As a reader I'm beginning to be off-put by the lee-way being given to sum up opinions in titles. I know reviews are subjective, but the sense of objective legitimacy the reviews once had is ruined by titles like "Slightly Less Forgettable." I'd rather see the old standard of titling it by the piece being reviewed and that alone.

This makes me reconsider getting Resident Evil 6.. which I really got hyped seeing the trailer for it. Also, I enjoyed Resident Evil 5 but it wasn't scary at all.. it felt way to much like a rail shooter especially since you have someone else along your side (how is a game going to be scary if you play with someone at your side, NPC or player?)

Besides that, I am glad I didn't put this on my Easter List. Wanted to treat myself with a new game, yet seeing this review- you saved me from making the wrong choice. Along those lines, I believe Left 4 Dead can only be the true multiplayer against zombies that actually works. Everything else, like this.. will bring to many problems if not ruin the game itself.

Don Savik:

CD-R:

Don Savik:

Sounds about right.

So whats the exact qualifier here? Do all games based around team coop have to be playable by yourself (defeating the point of the game)? What about Team Fortress 2? or Other team oriented games? And Borderlands is boring when played single player, so by your logic it should've gotten a bad score.

If they give you the option of playing the exact same campaign by yourself than yes I see no reason why they shouldn't at the very least be playable. If this game was multiplayer only than yeah I could see your point. But it wasn't. Now that doesn't mean the single player campaign has to be as good it just needs to not suck. If the game plays good in co-op but completely falls apart when you're alone then that's not good game design. Paul's main complaints are that the game is boring and poorly designed. Borderlands may not have been as good in single player but it wasn't broken or unplayable either. Co-Op isn't meant to carry a game alone. It's meant to enhance an already good game.

Team Fortress 2 is not a good example because it's not a co-op game. It's a competitive team based multiplayer game.

Terramax:

Spot1990:

That being said, the reviewer's failed to point out how this is that much worse than Left4Dead.

I played L4D2, and honestly I didn't find it to be any more innovative or interesting than what this appears to be. In fact, the only difference seems to be the switch from 1st to 3rd person. Is anyone able to elaborate how L4D is supposedly that much better?

One key point is that the mechanics make the game playable. The game shifts in difficulty based on the health of your teammates, speed of progression, whether you close doors behind you, etc. The level design is clever. The hit detection is spot on. There are built-in mechanics that reward you for being selfless and playing as a team. There is dialogue and banter to help lighten things up and make it enjoyable. The game creates natural crescendo moments through careful sound design and pacing.

Really, there's likely more than a hundred things that make L4D better than this game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here