Escape to the Movies: The Raid

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The Raid

If you like a lot of punching and kicking, this is the movie to see.

Watch Video

Was hoping you'd cover The Raid. Looks like a rather fun movie to watch too.

Also, you're not the only one tired of seeing the American Pie crap. Seems like the damn commercials are on every freaking minute.

Wow, some people are going to be NARKED at you for badmouthing AP. Seriously. :v But I can see your point entirely.

But yeah, from how you described The Raid, it sounds like a good version of some action-intensive movies, even if some parts look hilariously OTT like the hitting-his-head-all-the-way-down-the-wall bit. Will watch.

Bob, just a small point but please, if you're not going to review a film, just don't review it. And seriously don't spend a a quarter of the review another better film bitching about it.

FINALLY!! now i feel ok for hating american pie series YAY!

I was actually expecting you to do Iron Sky (kinda seems your type of movie) but since it doesn't seem to be playing ANYWHERE in Massachusetts :(

I'm glad The Raid's shaky cam won't be buging me too much.

Never liked AP either.

Looking forward to Ted though.

It's a good martial arts movie those doesn't use the tournament set-up. Is anything beyond this sentence necessary to get you to see it?

Mmm it sound like The Raid is somewhat the oppersite to Assault on Precinct 13 since it revole on the invader (them getting into the bad guy building) per say as oppose to the defender in the Precinct film (defend the police station from the bad guys trying to enter it).
I saw that Ted trailer today and I do admit it [i]could[/b] be funny seeing how it's mostly like Family Guy but without the random clips and humour throw in out of nowhere which is a good thing.

i had actually forgotten that waste of film of a movie was coming out(AP) so, no, wasn't expecting it. i also hated 'there's something about mary' to, fuck that movie, and every movie that came out trying to be it.

anyway.

the raid. sounds pretty awesome, would like to go see it but i don't think its playing anywhere near me. :/

know what i was expecting though? something about the new total recall, cause .... why ....

Great action movies coming from outside USA. Like this one. Global times indeed Bob.

An action scene with geography?

10 Minutes long. One scene. An action scene. Say he trips up at the end? Start again. You know exactly what the area looks like, because you see it as he does.

Children of Men. An amazing film. Watch it

EDIT: Oops, forgot there are a couple cuts in it, but to be fair, it's still pretty awesome.
Should also say that this scene is towards the end of the film (Pretty much the second last scene), but doesn't spoil too much in itself.

Oh god, meaningless subtitles starting with Re- have escaped from the video game laboratory and are now spreading to other parts of the facility. Two weeks later...

It's nice to get back to good old movie reviews!

Although I didn't like American Pie that much, I'm going out on a blind date setup by my friends to this movie...so I guess I'll see how it is.

How can you say there's no memorable action sequences in the Transformers movies?

The freeway chase in Dark of the Moon
The forest fight in Revenge of the Fallen
The Qatar fight in Transformers

and those were just at the top of my head.

Say what you will about Michael Bay, but the man can film a great action scene.

Axolotl:
Bob, just a small point but please, if you're not going to review a film, just don't review it. And seriously don't spend a a quarter of the review another better film bitching about it.

But he has to remind us how much his high school years sucked, same as every other time he hates a movie that panders to the crowd he hates.

It's a real shame that The raid is only playing in ONE SINGLE cinema in my whole country (France). God dammit, I hope they hurry with the dvd.

Maybe its because I saw the movie in high school with a group of friends that seriously knew how to have a great time but I really liked the first American Pie movie.

Okay, American Pie was singularly mediocre. But now after a decade of sequels and spin-offs all suffering from significant degrees of diminishing returns, having the original cast (and any pretense of effort) back, is bound to make make Reunion look like cinematic gold to anyone who's been foolishly watching all the others in this misbegotten series.

DVS BSTrD:
I was actually expecting you to do Iron Sky (kinda seems your type of movie) but since it doesn't seem to be playing ANYWHERE in Massachusetts :(

If it's any consolation, it looks like the UK is having one cinema in London show Iron Sky. One. Single. Cinema. >.>

Must see

VonKlaw:

DVS BSTrD:

If it's any consolation, it looks like the UK is having one cinema in London show Iron Sky. One. Single. Cinema. >.>

Plan limited release of obvious instant cult classic.

Complain about Pirates killing the movie industry.

"Im not going to review American reunion"
"But hey I'll bitch and moan for 35% of this video about it"

We get it bob you hated highschool...

It's been years since I last saw it, but I remember American Pie being fairly good. It wasn't ground breaking, but I never saw anyone pretend it was. I think if I have any nostalgia for it, it's more based on the time of my life it came out though.

Giving American Pie two minutes of your time in a five minute segment tells me two things:

1. You didn't have much to say about the title film other than "it was good."
2. Your "hate" towards the American Pie films is strong enough to deter you from actually thinking about the film you are purportedly reviewing.

Neither of these points are constructive. I love your stuff Bob, but please, use your time wisely in these reviews. Either break down why you hate American Pie, or tell us why The Raid is good. In my opinion you didn't achieve either one.

Side note: Using the word "hate" to explain your dislike of a franchise is hyperbolic. I hate child rapists. American Pie is a banal, dumb film. Using "hate" like you did herein just shows a side of you that is better left to your other Escapist segment. Or the Game Overthinker.

Your film reviews usually stay clear of sentimentalism, which was why this review disappointed me. You're better than this.

Regardless, you're still one of my favorite film critics Bob.

Soviet Heavy:

Axolotl:

But he has to remind us how much his high school years sucked, same as every other time he hates a movie that panders to the crowd he hates.

Precisely. What's the point of him being mad about it if he can't get on a soapbox to make sure everyone knows that he's upset about it. I respect his knowledge and insight into the nuances of movies and movie making that I could never otherwise know, but Bob has been so preachy and lacking in objectivity lately that it makes me dread watching his reviews. When he reviewed movies I never planned on seeing, I would still watch the reviews just for the perspective that he provides. He seems more and more bitter, as well as full of himself lately.

And as a professional critic, isn't it his responsibility to put his personal feelings aside and review any and all films regardless of how he personally feels about it? Can we take him seriously when his attitude is "I refuse to review that one because I really hate the franchise and everything it stands for,"? I thought being a critic meant putting those feelings aside and giving each movie and unbiased review.

This reminds me of his rant when Scream 4 was released. Particularly the part where his claim to fame was being the "know it all movie guy," and then the original scream was released and people allegedly began comparing him with "that guy from the scream movie that like...is really into movies and stuff!" So Bob got his feelings hurt because he was no longer a unique and beautiful snowflake, but written off as a caricature from a Wes Craven movie. I truly believe that Bob is a movie/comic book villain waiting to happen. He isn't Professor X. He isn't Clark Kent, and he sure as hell isn't Bruce Wayne. He's the (in his mind) bullied, outcast kid that we all know should know better, and should be able to rise above hate, but instead of using his talents to try making the world a better place, he would lash out at all those that he felt has wronged him, and all those that didn't appreciate his "genius." He says as much in his chronicle review.

I pray to the powers of the universe that Bob never receives superpowers.

moviedork:
How can you say there's no memorable action sequences in the Transformers movies?

The freeway chase in Dark of the Moon
The forest fight in Revenge of the Fallen
The Qatar fight in Transformers

and those were just at the top of my head.

Say what you will about Michael Bay, but the man can film a great action scene.

I think you missed the point of what he said.

The actions scenes themselves were memorable, just not what was happening in them. I kinda agree with him. The second matrix movie had the same problem with the highway scene. Put simply , because it was such a long scene on a large scale, it was hard to picture where everyone was in relation to each other.

The opposite would be the hallway scene at the end of Repo Men, small scale, one location, easier to remember each individual stab and where it happened.

Glad to see I'm not going to be trolled for my post since everyone else seems to be agreeing with me.

I was honestly hoping for a review of Reunion, not just because I have genuiniely enjoyed pretty much every entry in the AP franchise (I have an imature sense of humor, so sue me) but also because I'm pretty sure Raid won't be playing in any theaters near me for at least a few more months. It looks pretty good I supose but I still prefer childish, stupid and topless comedy =).

humm a movie about a group of friends drinking, going to parties, and getting laid. yea i guess if you didn't do any of that in high school i can see why you'd hate american pie. that being said i never loved the movies but didn't find the to be god awful or at least to the point i'd complain about them for 2 minutes in a 4:44 minute show.

The Gentleman:
It's a good martial arts movie those doesn't use the tournament set-up. Is anything beyond this sentence necessary to get you to see it?

well...

It's a good martial arts movie...

Thats really all I need to hear.

Ted does look amusing in a very simple way. Makes ya wonder why Seth didn't make this into another tv show. It seems like a plot for yet another family guy spin off. I might see it. The premise reeks of humor through cynicism and i'm kinda tired of that particular outlook.

One minute and twenty-five seconds of bitching related to another one of Bob's tragic high school experiences prioritized before actually reviewing the movie he's paid to review.

I would say this is practically getting formulaic, but I think it's safe to say we're far beyond that point.

Anyone else stop watching at 1:25?

I also hated the American Pie franchise. I refused to see any of those movies because I was so disgusted by the trailers and I sure as hell am not going to see the new one either.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here