Zero Punctuation: Yakuza: Dead Souls

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Yakuza: Dead Souls

The Japanese crime syndicates are not fans of zombies either.

Watch Video

The highlight of the week for me! Dead Souls is a very redundant title.

I love how they try to cash in on "zombie shooters" buy using all the worst things about zombie shooters.

Great, now I want a zombie game with Brian Blessed as the main character, I hope you're happy.

Interestig ,Japan just does not want its games sold?
I never heard of this franchise ,and i cant get it at any shops.
Not like i want it anywa...yakuza 4 had some interesting melee combat appeal ,but shooting zombies again? Ehh, ill pass.

"Fuck yes, It's Akiyama again." Exactly my thoughts when I went into the game.

And I loved it.

What, no Kinect Star Wars Yahtzee? I would have thought you'd jump at the occasion to play that "awesome" game.

Yakuza was funny, especially the American Gun Trainer guy, he was pretty entertaining.

Wait, Yahtzee considered Yakuza 4 to be good? I didn't get that impression from the original video. Ho well....

ipop@you:
Great, now I want a zombie game with Brian Blessed as the main character, I hope you're happy.

Frankly we all do.

back in 2009 i complained that there wasnt enough zombie games. i dont anymore. but i love zombies and the variety of zombie games does not disturb me. after all we didnt go the movie industry way where 9/10 zombie movies are a failed spoof parody.... oh wait....

ipop@you:

As do I sir, as do I.

*looks off into sunset with manly tears*

Imagine if Erin played this game:
"Don't you just hate being boxed in?"

ipop@you:

I can't help thinking that it would be balanced out by a significant DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE in the quality of gameplay.

I'm actually rather saddened by the fact that he didn't give a review for Kid Icarus: Uprising. I enjoyed the game and I was looking forward to seeing what criticisms Yahtzee would come up with.
Oh well...

Since it came out in Australia on March 29, I imagine he's gonna need time to actually play the game first. I too love the Yakuza series Yahtzee. It's a pleasing way to blow off steam after a hard day in Customer Service/Returns. The story is pretty sweet as well.

John Travolta....SNF era....suit...fighting zombies....
MY GAWD, the epicness!, i must have this game!
As soon as it's budget priced.

A laser-firing Brian Blessed...SOMEONE NEEDS TO INCORPORATE THIS INTO A GAME NOW.

I was wondering what's up with Silent Hill: Downpour, but I've just checked and it will only be out in Australia tomorrow. So atleast 2 or 3 weeks before that ... sigh.

Hmmm. A lot of end of the world prophecies generally have something to do with a lot of zombies all over the place. Maybe they really ment that they would invade all of our media? We have them in music, in books, in movies, in TV, and in video games.

Just something else to let others be paranoid about.

I hate most zombie games. Here's the list of the ones I actually like:
1. Resident Evil 2
2. Resident Evil 4 (although they are not technically zombies)
3. Dead Rising

Cekil1:
Since it came out in Australia on March 29, I imagine he's gonna need time to actually play the game first. well.

Were you talking to me when you said that?

they gotta make a shirt with "why the scrambled eggs on f-bomb toast would anyone do that?" its now my new fav quote

I like that little sting at the end with the idea that a character becomes more happy as you complete missions. It would be like Mass Effect... although then again Shepard always has the same blank expression even if you're so red and scared he might as well be on fire.

Zombies, zombies, zombies... and yet I still think to true zombie game has yet to be made. The mass scale of Dead Rising, the bleak struggle of Dead Island, the team work of Left 4 Dead... heck even the survivalist mindset of Minecraft haha.

Actually, Goro Majima shooting zombies with shotgun sounds compelling enough for me. I think I will go buy this game this weekend.

Why the scrambled eggs on fucktoast did I laugh so hard at that line?

What's up with the rottweiler defamation?

Are all rottweilers naturally evil?

Thanks a lot Sega. Now From has to think of another title to give their next Souls game.

Stabby Joe:
I like that little sting at the end with the idea that a character becomes more happy as you complete missions. It would be like Mass Effect... although then again Shepard always has the same blank expression even if you're so red and scared he might as well be on fire.

Zombies, zombies, zombies... and yet I still think to true zombie game has yet to be made. The mass scale of Dead Rising, the bleak struggle of Dead Island, the team work of Left 4 Dead... heck even the survivalist mindset of Minecraft haha.

Dead Island came close, but got so caught up in the weapon-crafting features it turned into "Make weapons while we give you things to hit with them." If it had kept with the bleak, survivalist tone the trailer set, we'd have our winner already.

Y'know, the worst part of it all? Games with zombies just tacked on actually feel more genuine than zombie games themselves. I'm not talking the Nazi Zombies. I'm talking Undead Nightmare. We all become familiar with New Austin and the north of Mexico, and we know and love the characters inhabiting those areas. Then they're hit by zombies.

It's really not difficult to put a good zombie game together - you just need a world everybody is familiar with, and then throw in some scarcity of resources and have some tragedies, and bam. Zombie game. Zombie films only get by because we know the places. 28 Days Later was a personal favourite because it was set in England. Films like that set in America never really call to me, 'cause I just don't relate to New York like I relate to London.

But there it is. Zombie games need to stop relying on 'OMG ZOMBIES' and start focusing on relatable things. Society collapsing, but it has to be a society we're familiar with. People dying, becoming zombies, losing all semblance of their former selves - but again, 'Protagonist's Wife' is NOT a character. Abigail Marston is a character. It's not enough to see 'Creepy Necrophile' dancing with the dead, it had to be Seth.

The only draw in this game for me is being able to play as Majima, because damn it Majima is awesome.

Argh, I hate when games do that crap when you point the camera somewhere and press aim upon seeing something that needs some bullets to the face only to have the game swing the camera back around to where your character was looking instead of swinging the character around to face where the camera was looking. Stop doing that, games! It's as obnoxious as mapping run/roll and take cover to the same button.

Qitz:
What, no Kinect Star Wars Yahtzee? I would have thought you'd jump at the occasion to play that "awesome" game.

What, no game that came out a single day ago in one region and isn't out in other regions yet, and even if it had come out in all regions yesterday, one single day isn't enough time to play the game, write the review, narrate the review, create the video, and submit it to the Escapist for posting? How absurd of him not to have reviewed Kinect Star Wars today.

Common sense, people. It's not a super power. We're all capable of using it, so please at least try to do so once in a while.

Thyunda:
*snip*

It's just too bad that the gameplay of Undead Nightmare was so terrible. Run up to zombies and press the execute button. Repeat a million times until you win and get a horrible ending. Snore. I'll take a game in a made up place that remembers that games are about gameplay first and everything else second like Dead Rising any day.

Films and games are not the same thing. Games need to be fun to interact with, and Undead Nightmare failed spectacularly on that front. A good setting does not save the gameplay from being bland as all hell. A good setting works in a movie because a movie has nothing else to go on. But in a game, I don't care how great your setting is. If your gameplay is as utterly boring as Undead Nightmare, I'm going to turn it off and play something entertaining instead. Just like I would turn off a movie that's boring and go watch another one that's more entertaining instead.

Scars Unseen:
Thanks a lot Sega. Now From has to think of another title to give their next Souls game.

"Only Mostly Dead Souls"?

This is why I refuse to watch "Walking Dead". Fuck you, zombies.

They are everywhere. Zombies have even infected things that aren't technically alive. How else can we explain Newt Gingrich's presidential campaign other than a shambling undead horror?

Yakuza 4 already had a workable shooting mechanic, why did they need to put this in.

Hmmmm, not sure ill get this. I'd rather hunt for the first 2 Yakuza games again to complete the collection and work right the way through them.

I suppose it's semi realistic since real Yakuza have stopped trying to use guns at all because of the crazy sentences for even owning an illegal gun over there, so as a result none of them even know how to shoot a gun any more.

Welp, that went exactly as expected.

Mullahgrrl:
What's up with the rottweiler defamation?

Are all rottweilers naturally evil?

No

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook