Mass Effect 3: The movement

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

You dirty bird, Bioware, how could you?

Read Full Article

Note: Apologies for the typo in the news blurb. The rest of the Escapist staff appear to have fucked off to PAX, so no one is around to fix it.

So what happens if you'd prefer more of a downer ending? They bring out the knives?

Also, is that Erin in panel 4? Her stripes vanished... SHE'S A WITCH!

Antitonic:
Her stripes vanished... SHE'S A WITCH!

Didn't you see the Colour-Changing Panties featured a few strips ago? Obviously the hoodie is from the same company.

Hahaha, "happy ending."
That's a good one there.

Antitonic:
So what happens if you'd prefer more of a downer ending? They bring out the knives?

A WITCH! A WITCH! BUUUUUURRRRN HER!!

the angry mob got their wish tho :O

Now that's what I call an expensive happy ending.

[Insert Slowpoke meme]

TechTim:

Antitonic:

Burn her? Don't you people know ANYTHING. To prove one is a Witch you must FIRST, weigh her against a duck. Then you can burn her.

As for that "strategy" at least once they get an actual load in the face they'll be a physical representation of how they've been feeling since they've beat ME3.

"Happy Endings for a Happy Ending!" xD

L

O

Motherfucking

L

Antitonic:

If you're getting nit-picky, don't forget that her panties went from being plain white to being green with stripes in the previous comic. :P

Retake Mass Effect, and the people peripherally attached to it, seem to have a modus operandi of deifying journalists and publications that agree with their point, and demonizing those that don't. Whatever your feelings on the ending and some the pressure to change it, accusing people who don't share your opinion of either not understanding it or being corrupt is intellectually dishonest.

To be fair, calling us entitled, whiny crybabies who should just get over it isn't exactly what I expect from journalists. I'm not saying they're corrupt or that they 'don't get it' (although one or two of them really don't) but they fail to look at both sides, which to me is a fundamental failing of journalistic integrity. They act like we're attacking or outright destroying art, when shouldn't they want to see games being the best they can, which would include reevaluating one's work with an aim to improve it?

Qitz:

TechTim:

Antitonic:

Burn her? Don't you people know ANYTHING. To prove one is a Witch you must FIRST, weigh her against a duck. Then you can burn her.

As for that "strategy" at least once they get an actual load in the face they'll be a physical representation of how they've been feeling since they've beat ME3.

but where are we going to get the extra witches for the kindling?? and could we not build a bridge out of her instead?

This could work...

So, the masses of consumers should be held to a higher standard than actual gaming journalists? Demonization is only one of the many kinds of shit the press have been spouting since this started. It was up to Jim fucking Sterling to be the voice of reason on their side. Think about that for a moment.

Just ONCE I'd like you people to post something when I'm ACTUALLY ON this site! Please?

Whatever your feelings on the ending and some the pressure to change it, accusing people who don't share your opinion of either not understanding it or being corrupt is intellectually dishonest.

Yes, because getting a worthy ending to Mass Effect is EXACTLY like George Lucas constantly fucking around with Star Wars for his own personal gratification GRAHAM.

Either way, Mass Effect Fans are still getting the shaft.

That last panel is just... meep.... I had no idea you were capable of drawing such creepy art.

Mass Effect 3 is why I play on the PC. You wait a year, get it dirt cheap and don't care how they screwed up because you still have plenty of dough to by somehing else.
As for the ending I will refer people to the Smithsonian Art Exhibit that to paraphrase "Videogames are an art form with three creators; The Designers defined as the creators behind the game, the mechanics defined by what you see or hear and interact with and player who makes the choices and takes control."
When Bioware made promises that they failed to deliver and forced the ending on the players they have a right to voice their disapproval and Bioware has the right to ignore it

Whatever your feelings on the ending and some the pressure to change it, accusing people who don't share your opinion of either not understanding it or being corrupt is intellectually dishonest.

Suggesting that people making blatant strawman arguments are "not understanding" is the polite response, since the alternative (and probable reality) is that they're deliberately mischaracterizing the discussion - which, BTW, is intellectually dishonest.

If media figures who haven't even played the game are going to go around leveling ad hominem attacks on behalf of their sponsors, they're inviting criticism. Frankly, accusing games journalism of corruption is kind of like accusing lobbyists of the same - isn't it essentially their job description? Very few sites even pretend to avoid conflicts of interest.

Rigs83:
Mass Effect 3 is why I play on the PC. You wait a year, get it dirt cheap and don't care how they screwed up because you still have plenty of dough to by somehing else.
As for the ending I will refer people to the Smithsonian Art Exhibit that to paraphrase "Videogames are an art form with three creators; The Designers defined as the creators behind the game, the mechanics defined by what you see or hear and interact with and player who makes the choices and takes control."

Ick. Not a philosophy I agree with. Picking dialogue options and shooting aliens =/= creative work. If developers and players are in the same creative group, then the players are Ringo.

Pyrian:

Suggesting that people making blatant strawman arguments are "not understanding" is the polite response, since the alternative (and probable reality) is that they're deliberately mischaracterizing the discussion - which, BTW, is intellectually dishonest.

If media figures who haven't even played the game are going to go around leveling ad hominem attacks on behalf of their sponsors, they're inviting criticism. Frankly, accusing games journalism of corruption is kind of like accusing lobbyists of the same - isn't it essentially their job description? Very few sites even pretend to avoid conflicts of interest.

So, just to get this straight, you're calling me corrupt? That's a very poor way to start a conversation.

Kasurami:

Retake Mass Effect, and the people peripherally attached to it, seem to have a modus operandi of deifying journalists and publications that agree with their point, and demonizing those that don't. Whatever your feelings on the ending and some the pressure to change it, accusing people who don't share your opinion of either not understanding it or being corrupt is intellectually dishonest.

To be fair, calling us entitled, whiny crybabies who should just get over it isn't exactly what I expect from journalists. I'm not saying they're corrupt or that they 'don't get it' (although one or two of them really don't) but they fail to look at both sides, which to me is a fundamental failing of journalistic integrity. They act like we're attacking or outright destroying art, when shouldn't they want to see games being the best they can, which would include reevaluating one's work with an aim to improve it?

You're one of the better ones from what I've seen. As most go "You're with us or against us."

SirBryghtside:

TrilbyWill:

Antitonic:
Her stripes vanished... SHE'S A WITCH!

Didn't you see the Colour-Changing Panties featured a few strips ago? Obviously the hoodie is from the same company.

Or maybe... Indoctrination Theory!

...damn, that suddenly became completely plausible in my mind :P

Or the non-striped hoodie is on the same guy who's wearing it in panel 3 (notice the pants as well).

I just,.....I just don't know what to feel anymore about the Retake 'movement' for the Mass Effect 3 ending.

Grey Carter:

You dirty bird, Bioware, how could you?

Read Full Article

Basically the reason I feel alot of journalist missed the point, was like the point cept being brought up "people didn't like it because it didn't have a 'cake and ice cream' happy ending" which made me mad. I just didn't like the ending because it was a terribly written ending.

But people kept bringing up the happy ending point. I don't even care anymore to be honest. I'm done with bioware and the ME universe at this point.

Kasurami:
a fundamental failing of journalistic integrity.

Well there's your problem! You're expecting journalistic integrity in what in what passes for "journalism" on the internet. Integrity, fact checking, and often times the actual truth may as well be used to wipe a monkey's ass when weighed against the important things like page views.

Real journalism is a scarce thing on the internet. Mostly it's just a race to be to plagiarize whoever made up (or in rare instances actually landed a real story) this week's hot rumor or story. This just isn't a problem on gaming sites but the internet in general. Internet "journalists" (may as well call em astronauts as they resemble both about equally) largely just make the rounds of sites that put in the actual leg work then paraphrase, if not copy word for word, their hard work which is then reposted with an obligatory source link.

Now my problem isn't with the people themselves but rather what a sad state of affairs journalism has degraded into on the internet. I go to multiple sites that have great original content but their "News" section is just a regurgitation of what other sites have posted. Don't get me wrong the internet has done a great deal of good but journalistic integrity was early collateral damage.

Grey Carter:
accusing people who don't share your opinion of either not understanding it or being corrupt is intellectually dishonest.

Of course, a lot of people don't understand it. The general consensus is that issues have little to do with a happy ending, a claim that many of the journalists and pundits are claiming that's what people are looking for.

Kinda like what your comic did. I didn't give a damn about the banner in the comic, because it was funny. But then I read the text below, and that kind of makes it ugly.

What people are saying:
-They were promised player choices through the series impacting the end, which they didn't get.
-The ending doesn't make sense and has a large number of holes.

What the people criticizing retake are saying:
-Spoiled, entitled crybabies are upset because they are not getting a happy ending exactly to their specifications.

How is that not missing the point and failing to understand?

This may not apply in each and every case, but a large portion of the opposition really is failing to understand. Including several of the contributors on this site. I mean, I may have hyperbolized the exact wording of the statement, but Moviebob hit all of the points from my "What the people criticizing retake are saying."

Grey Carter:
That's a very poor way to start a conversation.

What kind of respectful and mature discussion were you expecting to start with "Happy Ending for a Happy Ending"?

Pyrian:

Grey Carter:

What kind of respectful and mature discussion were you expecting to start with "Happy Ending for a Happy Ending"?

Yes, because me making a joke about the fact the Retake ME protests have been bizarrely nice is the same as you saying I have no ethical standards.

To misquote Oscar Wilde:

Satirists gonna' satire.

Grey Carter:

So, just to get this straight, you're calling me corrupt? That's a very poor way to start a conversation.

You infer that fans will perform blowjobs for Bioware employees for a 'happy ending' (which isn't really the argument being presented by most, it more has to do with the ending being terribly written and lacking complex choice) and then expect a positive response back? If you've just openly mocked and deliberately misinterpreted a group of people's opinion don't expect them to be nice in response. It's really the commentary below the comic that's the problem, where you lambast gamers for misinterpreting journalists while doing it yourself to them.

To the comic: Clearly the fanboy is meant to be egoraptor, would've been an ok satire on the whole 'Retake ME3' movement if it wasn't just constructed of internet strawmen.

DTWolfwood:
the angry mob got their wish tho :O

No they didn't, Bioware decided to only extend the current endings, instead of adding new endings. I highly doubt that these new extensions would fix anything, as they still allow player choices and input.

I totally thought this would be about pooping. I was wrong.

That is officially the best protest ever.

Grey Carter:

Pyrian:

Grey Carter:

Yes, because me making a joke about the fact the Retake ME protests have been bizarrely nice is the same as you saying I have no ethical standards.

To misquote Oscar Wilde:

Satirists gonna' satire.

My god. It's almost like you think you're writing a webcomic. One that tells jokes. You obviously don't understand the meaning of this comic like the fans do. You should change the ending, now.

Wow. Have you ever witnessed any argument between two groups of people, ever? Because you're going to see a lot of that. Go look at any political forum. Any. Democrat, Republican, Green, whatever, you will find one side calling the other side stupid for not thinking what they think, or call them evil. Pretending that the group dynamics at play here are ANY different (Or a generalization in itself, pretending that most or all of the ReTakers act like this) is significantly MORE intellectually dishonest.

Moosejaw:

Wow. Have you ever witnessed any argument between two groups of people, ever? Because you're going to see a lot of that. Go look at any political forum. Any. Democrat, Republican, Green, whatever, you will find one side calling the other side stupid for not thinking what they think, or call them evil.

And if this were a political webcomic on a political forum I'd be calling those morons out too.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here