Mass Effect 3: The movement

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Moosejaw:

Whatever your feelings on the ending and some the pressure to change it, accusing people who don't share your opinion of either not understanding it or being corrupt is intellectually dishonest.

Wow. Have you ever witnessed any argument between two groups of people, ever? Because you're going to see a lot of that. Go look at any political forum. Any. Democrat, Republican, Green, whatever, you will find one side calling the other side stupid for not thinking what they think, or call them evil.

And if this were a political webcomic on a political forum I'd be calling those morons out too.

Grey Carter:

Pyrian:

Whatever your feelings on the ending and some the pressure to change it, accusing people who don't share your opinion of either not understanding it or being corrupt is intellectually dishonest.

Suggesting that people making blatant strawman arguments are "not understanding" is the polite response, since the alternative (and probable reality) is that they're deliberately mischaracterizing the discussion - which, BTW, is intellectually dishonest.

If media figures who haven't even played the game are going to go around leveling ad hominem attacks on behalf of their sponsors, they're inviting criticism. Frankly, accusing games journalism of corruption is kind of like accusing lobbyists of the same - isn't it essentially their job description? Very few sites even pretend to avoid conflicts of interest.

So, just to get this straight, you're calling me corrupt? That's a very poor way to start a conversation.

Well this could have gone better. Good comic by the way.

Mind if I as 2 questions?

Do you think BioWare is putting their artistic vision (or whatever you call it) at risk with what they plan to do, by which I mean keep the ending the same, but adding on additional content after the end to explain it and give some more closure?

I get what people say about just changing the ending just because the people playing the game didn't like it, because that would be very very very very bad. However, I also get what people say about how the ending isn't just disliked because it's bad, but also because it doesn't make sense and gives no sense of closure (good or bad).

So, 3rd question (Its kind of a rewrite of 2). Do you think keeping the ending, but adding to it is an acceptable option?

Great, another person totally missing the point about why people are complaining.

Not because ending was sad.

It was because they shat on the lore, technology, characters we came to like over the past 3 games, their actions and filled the ending with plot holes and inconsistencies.

Grey Carter:
....a joke about the fact the Retake ME protests have been bizarrely nice...

Are you entirely unaware of your comic's insinuation that people who want more to Mass Effect 3's ending are desperate "crack" whores? It wasn't subtle. (Nevermind, of course, the dead-horse strawman of the problem with ME3's ending being that it wasn't sufficiently happy, one of the major geneses of the continuing accusations of people not understanding.)

Grey Carter:
...is the same as you saying I have no ethical standards.

I'm pretty sure that "addiction prostitute" is worse than "corrupt", the latter merely implying a relative lack of certain standards, while the former implies a near total lack of any standards.

And keep in mind that I had no issue with finding the comic offensive in itself. I'm just a little startled that someone could simultaneously fire that off and then take offense at someone pointing out the frequent conflict of interest in game journalism.

Anyway, my criticism isn't that you, personally, are corrupt, but rather that your accusation of intellectual dishonesty for claims that are rather easy to intellectually defend is incorrect. A strawman argument is either a lack of understanding or intellectually dishonest, pointing that out is neither.

Grey Carter:
Satirists gonna' satire.

Really, I think you went off the rails with your non-satirical follow up, rather than the comic itself, which was funny.

Blind Sight:

Grey Carter:

So, just to get this straight, you're calling me corrupt? That's a very poor way to start a conversation.

You infer that fans will perform blowjobs for Bioware employees for a 'happy ending' (which isn't really the argument being presented by most, it more has to do with the ending being terribly written and lacking complex choice) and then expect a positive response back? If you've just openly mocked and deliberately misinterpreted a group of people's opinion don't expect them to be nice in response.

To the comic: Clearly the fanboy is meant to be egoraptor, would've been an ok satire on the whole 'Retake ME3' movement if it wasn't just constructed of internet strawmen.

Just remember said group you are defending DONATED money to a CHARITY. Then DEMANDED said money back. I know its not everyone in the group but seriously if you want to go and defend a part of the group that was actually good you also have to remember that another part of the group is bad.

It's really the commentary below the comic that's the problem, where you lambast gamers for misinterpreting journalists while doing it yourself to them.

Its a web comic that takes no serious stance on anything. Did you not see the last few weeks of comics? He isn't misinterpreting the movement. A bunch of people IN the movement acted the exact way that he described.

Personally i think the issues behind the anger (lack of player choice impact being the main one) are pretty justified. The reaction it's self though is a little intense and creepy. Register your displeasure yes, but please don't act like this is the civil rights movement. Mass Effect 3 had a shitty ending that disregarded one of of the cornerstones of the games appeal. It was a shitty ending, it wasn't a hate-crime.

Grey Carter:
Mass Effect 3: The movement

You dirty bird, Bioware, how could you?

Read Full Article

Note: Apologies for the typo in the news blurb. The rest of the Escapist staff appear to have fucked off to PAX, so no one is around to fix it.

uh way to ignore the fact that andy chalk has insulted us at every turn... act like you, as the media in question, are somehow immune to the same insults you sling our way....

Still haven't had the money to buy Mass Effect 3, let alone play it.
I've been trying to have a complete black-out of ME3 information, but it's nice to hear it doesn't have a happy ending. So far it doesn't sound bad, I can't wait til it tries to pull at my heart-strings.

No one ruin it for me if you're going to quote and respond.

Krion_Vark:

Blind Sight:

Grey Carter:

You infer that fans will perform blowjobs for Bioware employees for a 'happy ending' (which isn't really the argument being presented by most, it more has to do with the ending being terribly written and lacking complex choice) and then expect a positive response back? If you've just openly mocked and deliberately misinterpreted a group of people's opinion don't expect them to be nice in response.

To the comic: Clearly the fanboy is meant to be egoraptor, would've been an ok satire on the whole 'Retake ME3' movement if it wasn't just constructed of internet strawmen.

Just remember said group you are defending DONATED money to a CHARITY. Then DEMANDED said money back. I know its not everyone in the group but seriously if you want to go and defend a part of the group that was actually good you also have to remember that another part of the group is bad.

Where did I defend their actions in my statement? I didn't. Read the statement rather then what you want to hear. What I brought up was the complete hypocrisy of both expecting a civil debate after such a 'witty satire' and deliberately misinterpreting the arguments of a group, then calling them out for doing the same thing. I'm just highlighting the inconsistency of the whole thing, if you're going to present either side as some strawman that you can easily attack you can't then criticize them for doing the same thing. Your charity comment has nothing to do with what I actually said and completely misses the point.

Imp Emissary:

So, 3rd question (Its kind of a rewrite of 2). Do you think keeping the ending, but adding to it is an acceptable option?

(I know you're not asking me specifically, but I share the 'artistic vision, pretentious twat' view point.)I think it's as far as they should go, and I know my real concern was BioWare going for a rewrite, which would have been a big no-no, but if it's purely an addendum providing clarification then... eh. I suppose it's not all that different from a Word of God statement that they could have made instead.

Personally, I know what I think about the ending, and with what I think about the ending I can see what they were trying to do and, even though I don't think it worked brilliantly and it's not what I would have done to end it, I can live with it, and I can see why they might have done it from a creative standpoint. (Although I remain more than a little skeptical about someone higher up deciding they should try and flog some 'Epilogue DLC', before deciding they should probably make it free.)

As for the "choices don't matter in the end" argument, they do it affect it in a sense, and I don't really feel the PR speak given out for the game is particularly different from any other's.

Pyrian:

Grey Carter:
....a joke about the fact the Retake ME protests have been bizarrely nice...

Are you entirely unaware of your comic's insinuation that people who want more to Mass Effect 3's ending are desperate "crack" whores? It wasn't subtle.

The insinuation is that the whole thing took the rather odd-turn of being as nice as possible (charity, cupcakes) whilst trying to 'blackmail' BioWare into doing something about the ending. That's very, very clearly the comic thread through the strip.

And - surprise! - people like blowjobs. So, y'know, think about it. You're trying to make it offensive for the hell of it.

At this point I say fuck journalists who only look at one side rather than the big picture. They can't see past what they are getting paid to see past. Atleast shamus and Jim sterling see both sides and show why fans feel the way they do.

Saltyk:
That is officially the best protest ever.

Grey Carter:

Pyrian:
What kind of respectful and mature discussion were you expecting to start with "Happy Ending for a Happy Ending"?

Yes, because me making a joke about the fact the Retake ME protests have been bizarrely nice is the same as you saying I have no ethical standards.

To misquote Oscar Wilde:

Satirists gonna' satire.

My god. It's almost like you think you're writing a webcomic. One that tells jokes. You obviously don't understand the meaning of this comic like the fans do. You should change the ending, now.

Hey now!

First. Very funny. Well done friend.

2nd. To hell with that! The ending (of the comic) was great. The written bit after didn't seem to really be connected to the comic, but still making a good point.

3rd. It has been at least a month now. Is the Chevy Sonic really still all-new?

The problem is, anytime a bunch of disgruntled fans become a "movement", it's smack ready for parody and satire. I see a lot of what's being done ripe for such skewering.

I agree with the comment. I have seen people call Angry Joe, the Forbes bloggers (who aren't even staff, they are freelancers), and a few others "Paragons of Journalistic Integrity", while those that are on Bioware's side are "shills", "corrupt", etc. A few have even attacked one of the Forbes people now that he said "if they continue to complain, they deserve the label of entitled and whiners". Yet I've seen intelligent commentary here on the Escapist, and elsewhere, and it gets ignored. I see clear cases of confirmation Bias.

Once "movements" start, they become wrapped up in politics and it's more about the protest and the movement's identity than the actual goals. The fact that the protests feel the need to find any site on the Internet and (if they agree) praise them or (if they disagree) comment bomb them, shows that's there's a massive oversensitiveness on the parts of the protesters.

Which is ripe for skewering, as done here.

I'm one of the people who want a new ending, and i still found this hilarious, people really need to lighten up and take a joke. Thanks for making awesome comics Grey, keep up the good work!

Grey Carter:

To misquote Oscar Wilde:

Satirists gonna' satire.

Ah but you forgot the 1st rule of the mobocracy. Its only satire when you attack targets in line with the mobocracy prejudice. When attacking things in line with the mobs prejudice then its illegitimate and unfunny.

Woodsey:

Imp Emissary:

(I know you're not asking me specifically, but I share the 'artistic vision, pretentious twat' view point.)I think it's as far as they should go, and I know my real concern was BioWare going for a rewrite, which would have been a big no-no, but if it's purely an addendum providing clarification then... eh. I suppose it's not all that different from a Word of God statement that they could have made instead.

Personally, I know what I think about the ending, and with what I think about the ending I can see what they were trying to do and, even though I don't think it worked brilliantly and it's not what I would have done to end it, I can live with it, and I can see why they might have done it from a creative standpoint. (Although I remain more than a little skeptical about someone higher up deciding they should try and flog some 'Epilogue DLC', before deciding they should probably make it free.)

As for the "choices don't matter in the end" argument, they do it affect it in a sense, and I don't really feel the PR speak given out for the game is particularly different from any other's.

No problem friend.

This is the Critical Miss comment area! No rules! No law! *Runs to the top of a tall building.*(with scissors)

Gravity! Go to HELL! *jumps* and doesn't fall.

"Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha....ha.....ha." *still in the air* "Ummm....how do I get down?"
Cap.: oh wait
Seriously though. Don't worry. The more the.......happier the the ending! Ha!

Ah yeah, the rage follows the ME3 title everywhere. Personally guys I just laughed at the joke. I don't think he's calling everyone protesting the terrible ending desperate enough to give blow jobs. Pointing out and laughing at the oddities of these protests...

Well I thought it was funny.

.. I find this somewhat disturbing with the expressions but hilarious all around with the banner "Happy Endings for a Happy Ending" hahaha XD

What happened to "this is the last Mass Effect 3 thread"?

"...is intellectually dishonest."

Only if it's untrue.

:P

Akisa:

DTWolfwood:
the angry mob got their wish tho :O

No they didn't, Bioware decided to only extend the current endings, instead of adding new endings. I highly doubt that these new extensions would fix anything, as they still allow player choices and input.

Wait, don't we want player choice and input, wasn't the main problem with the ending that it didn't reflect of choices enough.

As for the comic itself was pretty funny and except for the last panel it paints the Retake movement in a pretty positive light, as some the nicest protesters ever. The comment at the end I do agree with, a lot of people have gone to straight out insults to defend themselves, not saying journalist haven't, but I don't see that as an excess to lose are your civil tongue as well, an insult match doesn't prove your point it just proves which person has the most synonyms for penis.

Pyrian:

If media figures who haven't even played the game are going to go around leveling ad hominem attacks on behalf of their sponsors, they're inviting criticism. Frankly, accusing games journalism of corruption is kind of like accusing lobbyists of the same - isn't it essentially their job description? Very few sites even pretend to avoid conflicts of interest.

I believe back in the bygone and much remembered days before Mass Effect 3 that there was a rather large argument made that there was a massive conflict of interest with Jessica Chobit (I think that's her name) was made a voice actor and headsculpt for a character in the game. We laughed and rolled our eyes and made a few jokes about it being a conflict of interest and how it shouldn't have been done.

Think back to when THAT was the biggest issue with the game with happy nostalgia.

erttheking:
What happened to "this is the last Mass Effect 3 thread"?

Don't worry. The Escapist will stop talking about ME3 as soon as everyone stops caring or talking about it........:) Ha ha ha ha.......

FFHAuthor:

Pyrian:

I believe back in the bygone and much remembered days before Mass Effect 3 that there was a rather large argument made that there was a massive conflict of interest with Jessica Chobit (I think that's her name) was made a voice actor and headsculpt for a character in the game. We laughed and rolled our eyes and made a few jokes about it being a conflict of interest and how it shouldn't have been done.

Think back to when THAT was the biggest issue with the game with happy nostalgia.

Ah. Happier days. Oh how we all use to laugh and smile together. :)

Well who knows. Maybe something worse will come along and make this seem less terrible by comparison?

Hmmmm. Actually maybe we should hope for "the perfect shitstorm" to be finally over, and just pray for Dragon Age 3.

He looks so intent about it lol.

Phred:
The problem is, anytime a bunch of disgruntled fans become a "movement", it's smack ready for parody and satire. I see a lot of what's being done ripe for such skewering.

I agree with the comment. I have seen people call Angry Joe, the Forbes bloggers (who aren't even staff, they are freelancers), and a few others "Paragons of Journalistic Integrity", while those that are on Bioware's side are "shills", "corrupt", etc. A few have even attacked one of the Forbes people now that he said "if they continue to complain, they deserve the label of entitled and whiners". Yet I've seen intelligent commentary here on the Escapist, and elsewhere, and it gets ignored. I see clear cases of confirmation Bias.

Once "movements" start, they become wrapped up in politics and it's more about the protest and the movement's identity than the actual goals. The fact that the protests feel the need to find any site on the Internet and (if they agree) praise them or (if they disagree) comment bomb them, shows that's there's a massive oversensitiveness on the parts of the protesters.

Which is ripe for skewering, as done here.

Sure, but it's just as easy to do the same thing when mocking the movement if you do nothing but listen to the few obnoxiously loud and extreme voices in the crowd.
At that point, you're doing the exact same thing you're accusing them of and looking at everything in a bias lens.

The road goes both ways.

Anyway, the comic alone was funny but the as someone else rightly said, the comment underneath turned it nasty.
It's unfortunately been a case where not many gaming journalists have actually understood why people are mad, or either refuse to acknowledge their grievances and points.
Worse, many are just throwing outright venomous, nasty comments out there at the crowd and overall acting more immature then the people they're accusing of the same thing.

And I honestly don't see why they've been so offensive, or would have reason to.

And that is probably why there has been such a backlash at the journalists in question. Both in a general sense, and bringing up the issue of many people's integrity.
Which is only causing escalation by getting other journalists mad and causing them to close ranks, like Greg here has been doing.

The fallout of this is that it's become a issue bigger then ME3's bloody ending and also dragged in the problem with gaming "journalism" as a whole.
The whole system is messed up and this has just brought it into the spotlight for many people.

Which is probably causing many sites (not all) to go majorly defensive and try paint the whole crowd as a bunch of nut-case, "entitled" whiny babies by pointing to the few extreme examples, ignoring the overwhelming majority of very civil and rational people.

Grey Carter:

It sounded to me as a more general swing at the gaming journalist community as a whole, rather then a personal attack on you.

While I'd be hesitant to lump gaming journalists in the same camp as fucking lobbyists, the rest of his comment was spot on.

Gaming journalists have been (overwhelmingly) intellectually dishonest in their misrepresentation of the Retake movement.

It's been an issue simmering for a while now, and this has just finally burst the metaphorical bubble.

That's probably why the why people who've given both sides of the argument ended up on a pedestal. It's the understandable reaction to the journalists...less then understandable actions.

Redlin5:
Ah yeah, the rage follows the ME3 title everywhere. Personally guys I just laughed at the joke. I don't think he's calling everyone protesting the terrible ending desperate enough to give blow jobs. Pointing out and laughing at the oddities of these protests...

Well I thought it was funny.

Honestly, if anyone in anyone in a "position of power", so to speak, mentions the ending to ME3 in a positive light, or disagrees with any part of the retake ME movement, they are going to be flamed to hell. It is pretty much unavoidable by now, unfortunately. :/

Imp Emissary:

Grey Carter:

Pyrian:
Suggesting that people making blatant strawman arguments are "not understanding" is the polite response, since the alternative (and probable reality) is that they're deliberately mischaracterizing the discussion - which, BTW, is intellectually dishonest.

Well this could have gone better. Good comic by the way.

Mind if I as 2 questions?

Do you think BioWare is putting their artistic vision (or whatever you call it) at risk with what they plan to do, by which I mean keep the ending the same, but adding on additional content after the end to explain it and give some more closure?

I get what people say about just changing the ending just because the people playing the game didn't like it, because that would be very very very very bad. However, I also get what people say about how the ending isn't just disliked because it's bad, but also because it doesn't make sense and gives no sense of closure (good or bad).

Question 1:

I think it's a complex issue. Qualifying "artistic vision" when you're dealing with a team of people working under the yoke of a corporation known for editorial interference is a tricky proposition. As a writer, I find the idea of any kind of populist movement that tries to pressure creators into changing their work inherently distasteful, no matter how much I might agree that those changes would make the work better. That strikes me as fans overstepping the boundary between creator/audience, which inspires a kind of reflexive "No. Fuck you." I said some fairly stupid shit, on the topic - shit I would later regret. I think a lot of journalists reacted the same way.

After considering the issue, I'm a bit more moderate, but still convinced this whole issue will encourage other developers to experiment less when it comes to narrative. They'll take the safe option rather than risk fan outrage. That, to me, seems like a step toward the heavy duty focus testing of Hollywood films.

Legally, I don't think the movement has a leg to stand on. "Closure" is a difficult term to define in a court of law and creator commentary, particularly from a writer who doesn't have full control of the project, is not advertising. If it was, we would have burned Molyneux at the stake by now.

That being said I'm immensely proud of gamers for actually getting up of their arses and doing something about a problem rather than just whining about it. The internet is littered with the the carcasses of controversies and outrages that inspired nothing but a bout of belly aching and the occasional worthless boycott. The fact they're standing up for what they believe in is still commendable, even if I don't agree.

Question 2

Perhaps.

I think the biggest problem with the ME endings was their brevity. The actual core conceit: Reapers harvest advanced lifeforms so younger ones can have a chance at life, and the destruction of the mass relays, are both solid concepts that could, with the right amount of care, have made for an awesome ending. I think by expanding on these concepts, BioWare could potentially answer most of the criticism of the endings. Whether it would satisfy fans is a different question.

Lore: The thing about Sci-fi "lore" is that it's inherently quite mutable due to the nature of technology. With a little bit of exposition you can generally explain just about anything. I find it hilarious that people complain about "space magic" in ME3 when, in the previous game, Shepard literally came back from the dead after falling from orbit. Of course, in ME2, the game actually explained to the player how the Lazarus project worked and made it seem almost plausible. After twenty minutes or so, players were ready and willing to accept their freshly-revived ChristShep as consistent with the lore. By actually explaining what the hell was going on rather than trying to pull and Arthur C. Clark, the original endings could have avoided coming into conflict with the lore.

Same goes for the logical gaps and the lack of closure. Show why Joker was flying through the Mass Relay. Show what happened to the various fleets on Earth, did they escape? (currently I'm just assuming the Krogan eat everybody)

The only two changes I'd make to the endings themselves (as opposed to simply adding more detail) are a: Have Shepard question the starfuck's assertions. He doesn't have to win the argument, but him staying quiet was out of character. B: Some kind of fight with Harbinger. Maybe have him fight Shepard, then self destruct, leaving Shep all crippled.

Zachary Amaranth:

-They were promised player choices through the series impacting the end, which they didn't get.

Actually, the did. Quite a bit. Just not in a way that was immediately obvious. The war assets you acquire (you know, the choices the player makes throughout the series) affects which endings you can select and what happens in those endings. Source: http://www.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/Endings

NOTE: Your other complaint is completely understandable though. Without IT, the ending has more holes than a strainer.

TechTim:

Qitz:

TechTim:

A WITCH! A WITCH! BUUUUUURRRRN HER!!

Burn her? Don't you people know ANYTHING. To prove one is a Witch you must FIRST, weigh her against a duck. Then you can burn her.

As for that "strategy" at least once they get an actual load in the face they'll be a physical representation of how they've been feeling since they've beat ME3.

but where are we going to get the extra witches for the kindling?? and could we not build a bridge out of her instead?

There's already enough wood there as is...

Grey Carter:
I think the biggest problem with the ME endings was their brevity. The actual core conceit: Reapers harvest advanced lifeforms so younger ones can have a chance at life, and the destruction of the mass relays, are both solid concepts that could, with the right amount of care, have made for an awesome ending. I think by expanding on these concepts, BioWare could potentially answer most of the criticism of the endings. Whether it would satisfy fans is a different question.

No chance it will now. Bioware and EA spent too much time being dick-splinters about it and pretending there was nothing wrong with the ending then pretending they misunderstood exactly what the nature of the complaints were (intellectual dishonesty on both sides of this argument). The fact that EA actively court controvery for free publicity and that Bioware's PR seemingly can't even take a piss without one of Drs Greg and Ray to hold their dicks doesn't help.

That said, you're pretty much right. If they'd bothered to expand and explain... well, pretty much the entire last 10 minutes of the game instead of going "Here's a bunch of new stuff. No, can't explain. Have fun... PS You are dead." I think half the rage would never have happened.

Personally I'm just glad my Shepherd didn't have to suffer such ignomy. He's forever stuck at the end of ME2 because fuck Origin... :D

Qitz:

TechTim:

Antitonic:
So what happens if you'd prefer more of a downer ending? They bring out the knives?

Also, is that Erin in panel 4? Her stripes vanished... SHE'S A WITCH!

A WITCH! A WITCH! BUUUUUURRRRN HER!!

Burn her? Don't you people know ANYTHING. To prove one is a Witch you must FIRST, weigh her against a duck. Then you can burn her.

Oh please! To tell a witch from a normal person: put it in water. If it floats it is indeed a witch. If she drowns then she was a genuine laddeh.
EDIT: POST COUNT 666! I SHALL POST NEVERMORE!

RJ 17:

Antitonic:
Also, is that Erin in panel 4? Her stripes vanished... SHE'S A WITCH!

If you're getting nit-picky, don't forget that her panties went from being plain white to being green with stripes in the previous comic. :P

But that actually had a reason... the hoodie is unexplained... I'd get it if it was different in every pannel, but it only changes in one!

lol the is the greatest comic strip i have read in a long time XD

Abedeus:
Great, another person totally missing the point about why people are complaining.

Not because ending was sad.

It was because they shat on the lore, technology, characters we came to like over the past 3 games, their actions and filled the ending with plot holes and inconsistencies.

This. This and this and this again and again and again, because no one paid to have an opinion on this subject seems to want to actually understand it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here