Gears of War: I Wouldn't Buy It

Pages PREV 1 2

I like the aiming and ducking system, although it took some getting used to and I find the visuals are drab but appropriate and theyre not always drab, there are a few instances that youre outside during the game if you bother to take a look around, maybe at the sky which is bright blue and very beautiful.

I agree with a fair bit of the review, but I must say that Halo is also on the big hype machine, and you do seem to treat it like gold. Maybe it's just me playing CS for the last 2 weeks, but I played Halo 3 at a mates house, and the single player was unbearable.

The aiming was sloppy (the assault rifle hardly hits anything unless you're at melee range, and then you might as well press B anyway), and the characters had hardly any 'feeling' to them. Plus, you rarely got to use anything as cover, and you were forced out into a direct firefight, where if you weren't quick, you (and your "super trillion dollar armour") would be gone in a matter of seconds. Don't get me wrong, it's the basis of shooters, but when you have weapons that run out of ammo faster than "your mum", and have weapons that hit the enemy half the time, it pisses you off.

The only really fun aspect I got in Halo was the multiplayer. On certain stages that was REAL fun. Especially the "Sword only" matches.

The first Halo was really the only true gem the series had going for it in singleplayer. After that, it was cliche after cliche, leaving you to have fun with multiplayer or co-op.

It's like what Yahtzee said - Halo isn't a BAD game, it just isn't GREAT. Run of the mill. With a galleon of overhype.

(P.S: Nice, well detailed review. 4.5 / 5 from me.)

I think both Halo games and Gears of War are mediocre action games but at least GoW looks great. :)

Finally a reviewer has the guts to say what many of us have been thinking about this over-hyped and mediocre trailer-trash of a game. I'm still amazed that so many people still buy into the hype for this lemon so many months after its release. I guess it just goes to show how effective marketing (and subconscious homoeroticism) can be.

The only thing I don't agree with the reviewer on is the notion that Halo is any better.

I've got to dis-agree with you there. I LOVED Gears and would do anything for GOW2 to be released faster. And I don't see the amount of hype backing Halo to be worthwhile either. Halo was mediocre. Average. It's fun don't get me wrong, but the campaign was toos short, required no skill, and the graphics really didn't show off what the XBox 360 could really do. GOW, conversly, had exellent graphics, an adequate campaign and a GREAT story. I suppose it's just what kinds of games you like, more serious, tough games like GOW on Insane, or more relaxed games like Halo on Legendary (which isn't even hard AT ALL any more.). This is just my opinion anyway, and I'm sure I'm gonna have a lot of people agreeing and dis-agreeing with me.

*edit* As for the single player game time (Taken o average across all difficulties): Halo 3 6hrs 45 mins GOW: 11hrs 10 mins. HL2 took 10 hours, so GOW is right up there with half-life in terms of story. (Don't flame me, this is just my opinion.)

Beery:
Finally a reviewer has the guts to say what many of us have been thinking about this over-hyped and mediocre trailer-trash of a game. I'm still amazed that so many people still buy into the hype for this lemon so many months after its release. I guess it just goes to show how effective marketing (and subconscious homoeroticism) can be.

The only thing I don't agree with the reviewer on is the notion that Halo is any better.

That's just harsh, GOW wasn't perfect, but it wasn't trash.

Beery:

Did you ever stop to think that some people maybe do actually genuinely like the game? Just because it doesn't match your opinion doesn't make the person a gullible fool. Not everyone listens to hype you know. In fact these days it's considered cool to bash anything that *has* hype.

Apparently, acknowledging that there are things in the real world colored anything other than brown, gray and dark green would be too "unrealistic."

Meanwhile, every single surface in these so-called "realistic" games is so bloom-filled that every object, surface and everything else in the game looks like the brown and gray paint hasn't even dried yet.

I actually found the game to be pretty good, and that's surprising since all of the hype surrounding it practically had me convinced that I shouldn't buy it.

Although, I don't feel it's really hard enough - minus maybe the part where you have to drive the junker through the night and stop every couple feet to kill the kryll with the uv turret - but that wasn't so much hard as it was just plain ridiculous.

The General Raam battle though, was absolute crap, and of the five or six times I went through campaign he managed to get himself stuck somewhere along the way, making it nearly impossible for me to die (unless I was a complete moron).

The online multiplayer was fun but got old quickly - I grew tired of people constantly whining (on xbox live? Who knew?) over not being able to get the weapon they wanted, and the host quitting out of every freaking match before it was over.

Not to mention if you use any weapon but the shotgun you get a bunch of "that was cheap" in the waiting room before the next round, but you also get the same if you use the shotgun.

But I guess the latter complaints are more towards the community than the actual game.

Late post is late, but...

Personally, I prefer Gears almost 1000x to Halo 3. Granted, I'm not really a big shooter or Halo fan, but I find that Gears is just a lot more fun and easier to play (for me at least, the design and function of Halo didn't do it for me).

I like the more strategic feel of the game, because for me I can't get behind something that's ridiculously fast-paced and requires you to be almost brain-dead in terms of how fast your reflexes have to be. Then again, this is all coming from someone who didn't really play shooters up until after the release of Gears and Halo 3.

Halo, I won't deny, is a good game. Not the game I would choose to play or fangirl over, but a good game with a decent story. Gears for me is also a good game, one that I enjoy a helluva lot more than Halo 3 simply because Halo 3 made me feel like too much of a noob to really enjoy it at all. Gears is the shooter I choose to fangirl over because I freaking LOVE Augustus Cole. And I find it easier to relate to super-muscled no-neck humans with some feelings than those ultra-cool Spartans.

It's apples and oranges ultimately, though. No reason you can't enjoy both unless of course you have an allergy.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here