Unskippable: Yakuza 4 - Part 1

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Yakuza 4 - Part 1

Join us for the adventure of a lifetime: Japanese man answers phone!

Watch Video

Did anyone else get Imp rolled at twelve?
And you'd think that rain would be the LEAST perturbing form of moisture to encounter for a Japanese person.

Just wow. Something must have gone wrong in translation, there's no way anybody would make a cutscene as banal as that...right? Also kind of ironic that this comes out the same day as Jimquisition releases an episode called "Cutscenes Aren't A Failure State".

"This looks like a job for...More Sleep!"

Cheers,

Logan

Oh wow, the sarcasm there almost hurt my face when it hurled so intensly out of my screen.

My stomach hurts I was laughing so hard. :)

Your panel was amazing at PAX East. Keep up the good work!

Its hilarious when they find a cutscene that they can get genuinely angry at. That was a most enjoyable episode!

The Yakuza games are very deliberately paced Japanese-ass Japanese games.
If you're in the mood for some Sim-Tokyo interspersed with some brutally satisfying face pounding combat then give it a go.

What gets me is he's able to sleep through the desk phone ringing, but the mobile vibrating wakes him up?

I'm a big Unskippable fan... but lately, it's been starting to feel less funny than it has been. I liked the idea of what you were doing in this episode, with the faking being tense and excited without any payoff, but I think it might have been funnier if you had pushed it farther. Don't get me wrong; you guys are still funny, and Unskippable is one of my favorite series on the internet.

Why did they Translate "Akiyama San" as "Mr.A". My grasp of Japanese is minimal and even I know that's not right.

I think the truly banal is Unskippable. Not funny in the least and clearly done by two guys who don't have any interest in a story that isn't paced for the ADHD generation and really don't understand the Yakuza games and why people like them.

I get that this is a humour feature, but when you're as off-base as this, it's just sad. The second time I've checked out Unskippable. I'll probably give it one more go before I write it off completely, but this has got to be one of the lamest Escapist features.

Biting sarcasm at the end there. I like it.

Talk about ambiguous anti-spam puzzle...

This reminds me of Shenmue. I love it.

At least the combat is fun.... too bad you'll have to skip all of it. So much for "Unskippable" eh? HAHA bet you've never heard that one before! I'm so original!

Let it also be known that making an ironic statement like "I'm so original" is also unoriginal as is pointing out that said irony is also unoriginal. I could delve deeper but I won't.

Anyone else get a bit of a Wheatley feeling near the end there?

Yakuza 4: it's just like real life. Dull, boring, and hoping that you don't get dumped on by your girlfriend and rain.

Zom-B:
I think the truly banal is Unskippable. Not funny in the least and clearly done by two guys who don't have any interest in a story that isn't paced for the ADHD generation and really don't understand the Yakuza games and why people like them.

I get that this is a humour feature, but when you're as off-base as this, it's just sad. The second time I've checked out Unskippable. I'll probably give it one more go before I write it off completely, but this has got to be one of the lamest Escapist features.

For what it's worth, we make fun of games I love too. The quality of the game has no relation to whether or not we'll give it a ribbing.

And this has nothing to do with modern attention spans, nothing happens in this scene. It, in keeping with Japanese cinema, is very slowly paced and meanders quite a bit. It's a style I'm not personally a fan of, but that doesn't mean you can't be.

Graham_LRR:

Zom-B:

For what it's worth, we make fun of games I love too. The quality of the game has no relation to whether or not we'll give it a ribbing.

And this has nothing to do with modern attention spans, nothing happens in this scene. It, in keeping with Japanese cinema, is very slowly paced and meanders quite a bit. It's a style I'm not personally a fan of, but that doesn't mean you can't be.

I suppose you can say "nothing happens" in the scene, but it but that doesn't mean it doesn't tell us about the character, set tone and mood and set the story in motion. The fact that for you "nothing happens' just supports my opinion that you can't appreciate something that isn't paced for the ADHD mind set or comprised of flashcuts and shaky cam video.

all these bad jokes are making mequesa.

Akiyama may not be customizable, but he's already completely awesome as it is.

Once you get past his tedious phone calls and daily errands, that is. Loan sharks are people too.

MonkeyPunch:
Biting sarcasm at the end there. I like it.

Talk about ambiguous anti-spam puzzle...

You typed in the word "odd", didn't you? *points dramatically* Admit it! ADMIT IT!!

Mr. A is with Mr. B inserting stuff into Mr. C...

So where's Mr. T in all this?

Nice to know you guys can still have fun riffing these.

I can't wait for when he conquers crossing the street.

That was brilliant, really looking forward to the next one!!

Zom-B:

Graham_LRR:

Zom-B:

I suppose you can say "nothing happens" in the scene, but it but that doesn't mean it doesn't tell us about the character, set tone and mood and set the story in motion. The fact that for you "nothing happens' just supports my opinion that you can't appreciate something that isn't paced for the ADHD mind set or comprised of flashcuts and shaky cam video.

You know what it tells us about the character? That he has MONSTROUS hands.

PayneTrayne:

Zom-B:

Graham_LRR:

You know what it tells us about the character? That he has MONSTROUS hands.

Haha, that is true. You can't help but notice that most of the characters have hands that are much too big. Oh well, small flaw in an otherwise great game.

I actually really like the deliberately paced, kind of slice of life sort of feel to this, in a game about a Japanese mafia. I've been meaning to check out the Yakuza series for a while now, and this actually convinces me more.

5-0:
Just wow. Something must have gone wrong in translation, there's no way anybody would make a cutscene as banal as that...right? Also kind of ironic that this comes out the same day as Jimquisition releases an episode called "Cutscenes Aren't A Failure State".

It's a conspiracy.

Anyway, you know what would have made the stairs more epic? Quicktime events to keep from tripping, falling down, breaking your neck and having to start all over.

The commentary in this one sounded great, felt really flowing rather than a jab at the game here and there. It also sounded very natural, as if this was exactly what the player would be thinking while watching this cutscene. I had a real sense that this was structured and planned, meticulously, more so than the others were.

Also it was funny.

Calumon: ...I miss home... : (

"Hey, the intro to Zoids Assault is calling, they said to pick up the pace."

I literally said "OH SHIT!" at that moment. (No but seriously, Zoids was probably the worst cutscene you've ever done. And also my favorite episode for that reason.)

Also, I thought they were supposed to be super hardcore gangsters? Why is he so whipped? If I wanted to watch someone ignore the phone while trying to take a nap on the sofa, I'd videotape my afternoons.

I want there to be a GPLP of this. I want it soon.

Taunta:
"Hey, the intro to Zoids Assault is calling, they said to pick up the pace."

I literally said "OH SHIT!" at that moment.

I did the same thing

Is it me, or did Mr. A have *enormous* hands? I know they're easier to animate, but that was a little scary.

EDIT: Never mind, already came up. :) Still can't un-see them though.

Taunta:

Also, I thought they were supposed to be super hardcore gangsters? Why is he so whipped? If I wanted to watch someone ignore the phone while trying to take a nap on the sofa, I'd videotape my afternoons.

Akiyama isn't a gangster, he runs a special loan company. At the beginning of the game he doesn't have too much to do with the Yakuza. Not all the characters in this game are Yakuza. The story does revolve around the Yakuza and they are a really big part of the game but not all of it. Heck one of the playable characters is a cop.

On another note this is actually a really good game, and series for that matter. If you want some really fun beat-um up gameplay with an interesting story and one of the most immersive cities in videogames then this is the game for you. However I can see how the story can be too slow for some so I understand that it isn't for everybody just don't let this one cutscene dissuade you from trying this game if you get a chance is all I'm saying.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here