Mass Effect 3: Retake This

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I...I want to be angry but...my sarcasm meter is off the charts. I do not understand.

My brain hurts.

Slightly annoyed at the content posters on this site. I have yet to get to the ending yet but god damn if it's as bad as everyone's making it out to be I'm going to be upset.

RJ 17:
That's why people are calling the Retake ME movement "entitled crybabies." Does it absolutely suck that the ending to ME 3 sucks so much? Yes, yes it certainly does. Does Hudson deserve to be kicked in the balls by every ME fan? Yes, yes he most certainly does...with steel-toed boots.

This would be an acceptable trade-off for what the fans frankly are entitled to do in my opinion- because don't give me that artistic integrity bullshit, it'd be one thing if the ending was hopelessly bleak, or enigmatic yet well written, but artistic integrity should not extend to allowing the artist to sell a product that he didn't bother to finish- but unless they actually allow this to happen, or unless the new DLC actually fixes the mess (at this stage, it won't) then the fans can say what they want about Bioware.

RJ 17:

But the fact of the matter remains that there have been bad endings to all sorts of stories throughout history, this isn't the first time this has happened. When you encounter a bad ending, you curse those responsible for creating it, but you move on with your life. You don't start a protest movement.

I get what you mean but it's not really true, there hasn't been any game like this, where you carry over from the beginning of the first game to the end of the third one. Movies and books are different, but there has been a series (Neon Genesis Evangelion) where fans were so upset at the ending, that the producers eventually made a new one. And rightfully so, I might add, I saw both endings years after it was finished and the original was... painfully different.
You don't make a season of gigantic robots that tear monsters apart just to have a philosophical debate at the end, at least not without pissing off your core fans and why should that at all be acceptable? Turns out it wasn't :)

Invest enough time in something and it becomes part of your life, it's not something everyone is able to just get over without at leasting voicing their protest. In this case, enough people happened to be pretty damn invested.

Just because it's entertainment, it doesn't mean it's not worth getting upset about. If you really mean that, you're demeaning a lot of people just because they're different from you.

I have a motorcycle, it's absolute joy whenever I take a long ride and it's an experience that I could not bear to be without(I get literally depressed, borderline clinical, during winters). I've heard all sorts of excuses from others, "Why spend so much money on gas? Why spend so much money on a vehicle that you can't even bring your luggage on? Why put yourself in danger? Why do you even like it, it's just driving?"
Because I love it. That doesn't mean I'm lesser for it, it just means I have something in my life that matters a lot to me and so do games, not as much, but I can certainly sympathize with people who have the same love for it as I do when I go for a ride.

With that in mind, how can ANYONE be completely unable to relate to the situation?
Are there really that many people out there who don't have any joy in their life, and are just being cynical misanthropes?

Well, that was anticlimactic.

Kind of like the game's ending.

(Ba-dum-tish, or something.)

Yopaz:

No, this does not violate the rule of not feeding the trolls. This pretty much is trolling those who weren't satisfied, bu saying you're fed up you pretty much did feed the troll yourself.

You're right, I'm confusing actual trolls and general whiners who're loudly outspoken and a minute after they abandon the cause. I should've been more specific I guess, but I view those kind of people as trolls as well.

Yes, this comic is made to make fun of all those who just can't accept that the Mass Effect ending was terrible. Saying that they are crybabies is in fact fairly accurate. When someone says that they wont ever forgive Bioware for this and they feel personally insulted by it then they acctually deserve to be made fun of.

This is the problem, the few(like the idiot who went to the Federal Trade Comission) who are being obnoxious are making everyone else look bad. I don't think that people who joined "Retake Mass Effect" are bad people or even whiny people, they just believe in a cause for something that affects their life in some way. Some of them are doing it for the wrong reasons, sure, but you can't judge all fans based on that.

You say that this is a sweeping generalization, I think it's directed to that disturbingly large crowd who would in fact buy t-shirts or buttons because they are unhappy with it. If you're part of that crowd I can understand that you get fed up. If you're not a part of it then I would assume you'd be as annoyed with all those tedious threads about Mass Effect 3 and its ending like the rest of us.

No, I said it's a REMINDER of the sweeping generalizations that a lot of faces out there are spewing at us. The comic itself isn't doing it.

*groan*

My point is that I'm tired of the whole debate and I honestly think that it's just stoking the fires instead of being clever in any way. Actually, judging from the comments so far, that's exactly whats happening.

MatsVS:
Not mad. Just sad.

More disheartened, myself.

Qitz:

How'd.....How'd you get the shirt on the bear?

It's a dangerous undertaking. Four interns died in the process.

How do I put this lightly...why the Hell is there a bear?

Zachary Amaranth:

It's a dangerous undertaking. Four interns died in the process.

So what I'm hearing is, there's four intern positions open? Awesome.

I can't imageine there's anyone who's completed Mass Effect 3 who thinks the ending was satisfying, given the story and themes leading up to it. Certainly, if you've played through all three games -- a time investment of potentially hundreds of hours -- the end was just plain horrible. Much like the boss fights in Deus Ex: Human Revolution that engendered similar rage (although on a lesser scale), it seemed cut from a completely different (inferior) game.

Am I disappointed? Yes. Did it ruin the game for me? No, although it did leave a bitter taste. Do I feel I'm in some way entitled to dictate to BioWare that they need to change the ending because of some Bizarro-World logic that says I'm an equal partner in the creative process? Well, that's just stupid.

Dispite some missteps (ME1's item management, ME2's planet scanning, DLC that should have been included in the core game, etc.), the Mass Effect trilogy was fun, with good writing, interesting combat and more than a few moments that forced you to stop and consider the potential consequences of your actions. And I'm having a blast with the multiplayer, even though I'm not really that good at it. I really can't say I feel like I've been cheated. If you feel that way, I honestly think that says more about you than it does about BioWare.

Very classy. Glad to see your parody of the 'Retake ME3' group continues to be very high-brow and full of substance. Oh no wait, it's just inane trolling.

Wait, wait, wait...

People are actually seriously suggesting that this is an attack on the retake movement or a staunch supporter of it? Lighten up people, geez....

This is why I love the internet. =3 I might borrow the crybaby wuss picture and whap it out in future arguments.

Fawxy:
Wait wait wait wait wait wait...

Why the fuck are people taking this strip seriously? They're obviously poking fun at the whole situation, not just the fans' supposed "entitlement".

Lighten the fuck up, people.

Yeah, I'm not getting it either. The strip was clearly not making fun of fans but making a joke about the possibility of taking advantage of their rage to make more money. I'm not sure why anyone is taking the apparent poke at fans seriously when it's obviously only there to set up the last panel.

I also can't believe I have to explain this because some people don't get it. You can thank me for ruining the joke guys.

Ah ha ha ha. I see what you did there! Brilliant!

Vivi22:

Fawxy:

Why the fuck are people taking this strip seriously? They're obviously poking fun at the whole situation, not just the fans' supposed "entitlement".

Yeah, I'm not getting it either. The strip was clearly not making fun of fans but making a joke about the possibility of taking advantage of their rage to make more money. I'm not sure why anyone is taking the apparent poke at fans seriously when it's obviously only there to set up the last panel.

I'll tell you why, because the internet and the Retake movement are both "srs bsns"

erttheking:
How do I put this lightly...why the Hell is there a bear?

He's actually a character from WAAAAAAAAAY back in the earlier times of Critical Miss. A lot of the characters in the final frame haven't been seen in a while, actually.

OT:

That is all. Interpret it how you will.

Crying is good. More sincere emotions and less trolling. :P

*happy sigh* I love you.

WTF is this shit!? RETAKE CRITICAL MISS! RETA---- oh wait...

I see what you are doing here...

You troll, you! XP

I'm not mad, JUST ANGRY!!

No, seriously, I'm not mad, I'm just very disappointed.

Haha, brilliant, I see what you did there. :D

....wait, how do some of you people not get this? And why are you mad, (whether you get this or not)? :/

What's the bottom button saying? "something something MAD" The fist two words look like SOI EH, I don't get it.

EDIT:

trollpwner:

-Dragmire-:
What's the bottom button saying? "something something MAD" The fist two words look like SOI EH, I don't get it.

"Super mad". The Bear's (!) t-shirt says the same thing.

Ah, Thanks.

-Dragmire-:

"Super mad". The Bear's (!) t-shirt says the same thing.

To quote 4chan, and to use the abominable contraction 'y'all':

'ya'll posting in a troll thread'

pic related.

I love seeing so many people getting trolled by this.

BECAUSE WEBCOMICS R SRS BSNS. Also, because pretty much no one is getting the punchline.

On a side note, why did you draw Penny's eyes staring into my soul? ;_;

Smilomaniac:
Snip

So you're saying that the me that is the me I see inside myself isn't the me that other people see but I shouldn't care about that me because the only me that really matters is the me that I see myself as? Seriously, my thoughts on the end to Evangelion are if you needed therapy before seeing the end: you won't any more. If you didn't need therapy before seeing the end: you most certainly will afterwords. :P

Anyways, joking aside and back to the point: I'm not begrudging people for being extremely passionate about the game. I consider myself pretty passionate about it as well. However you cannot allow that passion to blind you to the facts. The facts remain that Bioware made a product. The consumers bought that product. The consumers didn't like the ending, but there's nothing that says Bioware HAS to make an ending everyone would like, just that they're expected to try their best to do so.

Well they failed miserably.

To use your motorcycle example, it would be like you demanding that Harley Davidson (don't know if that's what you ride, just using it as a name) give you a snow mobile every winter because you don't like the fact that you can't ride. It'd be absurd for them to do so because a snow mobile isn't the product they sold you, they sold you a motorcycle.

So too is ME 3 the product they sold us. We were all willing to pay for it and experience it. Again, it REALLY sucks that the ending was so god-awful, but them's the breaks. I could be wrong but I don't remember Evangelion fans absolutely blasting the creators of the series, making petitions, involving charities, and sending them 400 gundam action figures in order to get the ending changed. I believe the creators saw all the negative reviews and decided "You know what? We CAN do better!" and so they took it upon themselves to change it (again, I could be COMPLETELY wrong at this and won't hesitate to admit it if you have evidence that this is wrong).

In my eyes, the ideal situation would be for everyone to just have written negative reviews of ME 3, blasting the ending as chopped up BS and that it's a damn shame that Bioware managed to royally fuck up the ending to their epic saga. Now this has already happened - obviously - but the Retake ME movement went further and started harassing the developer, DEMANDING that they give us a new ending. It would have been better if Bioware had taken a look at all the negative feedback and decided "You know what? They're right. We could have done WAY better than what we did. Let's give them something they'll enjoy."

Random berk:

RJ 17:
That's why people are calling the Retake ME movement "entitled crybabies." Does it absolutely suck that the ending to ME 3 sucks so much? Yes, yes it certainly does. Does Hudson deserve to be kicked in the balls by every ME fan? Yes, yes he most certainly does...with steel-toed boots.

This would be an acceptable trade-off for what the fans frankly are entitled to do in my opinion- because don't give me that artistic integrity bullshit, it'd be one thing if the ending was hopelessly bleak, or enigmatic yet well written, but artistic integrity should not extend to allowing the artist to sell a product that he didn't bother to finish- but unless they actually allow this to happen, or unless the new DLC actually fixes the mess (at this stage, it won't) then the fans can say what they want about Bioware.

And that's actually kinda what I was talking about above: the fans CAN and SHOULD say what they want about Bioware. Bioware gets to swim in allllllll the negativity that their failure of an ending brings their way. We can blast them. We can flame them. We can say they're the biggest choke artists since the Fat Guy Strangler in Family Guy. And from that feedback, Bioware can either say "screw it" and move on or say, as I mentioned above, "The fans are right, we can do better than this. You know what? Let's give the ending another shot."

They just shouldn't be - in the worst cases - actually threatened into changing the ending. It should be a decision they come to naturally, not something they're coerced into doing.

:P But yeah, pretty sure EVERYONE would be satisfied without a new ending so long as we all get to kick Casey Hudson in the balls.

Reet72:
I...I want to be angry but...my sarcasm meter is off the charts. I do not understand.

My brain hurts.

Have a hint = Everyone in the merchandise warehouse in the last panel work at the game reviewing site that Erin works for.

Great comic. Always laughed how people treat this issue like its the civil rights movement or something.

The Red Dragon:
Haha, brilliant, I see what you did there. :D

....wait, how do some of you people not get this? And why are you mad, (whether you get this or not)? :/

I'll tell you why I don't like it.

Because it's a poor reminder of a bad situation(being that so many people are dissing fans in general because of a few douchebags.) <- this could fill an entire essay on why it's not alright, ranging from encouragment of disgusting corporate behaviour, to intolerance and bad subjective journalism.

It's basicly trolling people who are already feeling scorned by the intarwebs.

It's not that clever.

Basicly *I* think it's stupid and meant to rile up a lot of people who don't deserve it. I'm not going to rage for the comic to change though, since I didn't actually pay for it or have to spend two weeks reading it :)

Fawxy:

Uhhh....No? They're pretty much saying that anyone who is saying that they need to change the ending is being an entitled little shit.

But y'know? After paying over a hundred dollars to continue the game where one of the major selling points is how the world can be defined and altered in a zillion little ways, and screwing over the consumer base by simply giving you THREE endings which all do the same fucking thing no matter what you choose, I think I've earned a right to say "This blows, and if you want to prove that your games are going to be worth purchasing in the future, you better fucking fix it."

WanderingFool:
Heh... geuss thats on par...

Wait! Whats the girl with the crush on Nathan Fillion doing with her fingers outside the comic box!?

OH GOD!!!

*In fetal position*

THE FORTH WALL WILL PROTECT ME!THE FORTH WALL WILL PROTECT ME!THE FORTH WALL WILL PROTECT ME!

Captcha: step over. NOT FUNNY!

Oh, but it was funny for her...

That's why she's giggling right behind you.

I dunno what to say, you seem to be interested in some instigation.

Meh, I laughed though.

Just to be clear though, I hope those prostitutes are worth selling your soul. You monster.

RJ 17:
They just shouldn't be - in the worst cases - actually threatened into changing the ending. It should be a decision they come to naturally, not something they're coerced into doing.

Unfortunately, it's not likely a decision an Electronic Arts-owned entity is going to come to without some form of coercion. (That is, threats to their public image and resignation of customer loyalty.)

Hell, we don't even have any way of knowing what the duo supposedly responsible for the ending (Casey Hudson and Mac Walters) think about it, since they've effectively been gagged since March 17.

RJ 17:

When you pay for a book and don't like the ending, you don't demand that the ending be rewritten. You write up a critique and say "Well the book was good but the ending sucked."

It's kinda hard to rewrite the ending to a book - with a game so loaded with DLC it wouldn't have been that hard to alter the ending... with the state of affairs, given that the ending is absolutly attrocious, a "proper ending" should have come naturally and free.

I'm happy that I didn't buy ME3 in the first place after I lost interest halfway through ME2 and had a gigantic WTF moment at it's end.

ME3-extended cut is the absolut lowest form of scumbaggery that I ever thought possible and makes me think that executives at EA have lost any semblance of sanity. Next step: DLC quest, retail price edition : buy the game for 49.99, then add 10 bucks for the hud, 10 bucks for save/load functions and 10 bucks every half hour of gameplay +10 bucks extra for the ending.

No thank you - too many other companies have better games then these.

On topic: Monetizing the anger of fans over monetizing the exitment of fans over a fictional character...
I think we need to go deeper on this one and examine how companies like the escapist profit from artists that discuss these topics...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here