Mass Effect 3: Retake This

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

While it could just be mocking how easy it would be to monopolize on the rage surrounding mass effect 3, instead of being an overly aggressive piece of flamebait, given how most of the big names on the Escapist have been treating the retake movement (yes there are obviously problems with it, but nothing is simply a binary good/bad thing) and especially the text that went along with the last comic, it is hard to not default to assuming the latter option. I sincerely hope it is the former though.

Grey Carter:
You may be feeling a little upset at this point. Don't worry, that's perfectly natural. We can get through this together, just follow these simple instructions.

Take a deep breath.
Read the strip again.
Think about it for a while.
Refresh the page a few times
Don't forget to breathe!
Ask Grey how much Bioware and EA paid him to write this comic.
Show your friends, they might be upset too.
Why not follow Cory and Grey on Twitter so you can tell them how upset you are?

and right about here, is where it got awesome XD

well played sir, well played

jedizero:

Fawxy:
Wait wait wait wait wait wait...

Why the fuck are people taking this strip seriously? They're obviously poking fun at the whole situation, not just the fans' supposed "entitlement".

Lighten the fuck up, people.

Uhhh....No? They're pretty much saying that anyone who is saying that they need to change the ending is being an entitled little shit.

No, that's absolutely NOT what they're saying. You should learn not to take everything at face value.

The strip is mainly a joke about how Mass Effect fans' rage can be exploited for commercial means (mainly page views).

Again, lighten the fuck up.

jedizero:

Fawxy:

Why the fuck are people taking this strip seriously? They're obviously poking fun at the whole situation, not just the fans' supposed "entitlement".

Uhhh....No? They're pretty much saying that anyone who is saying that they need to change the ending is being an entitled little shit.

That's NOT what it's saying.

You don't understand the last panel, do you?

Yeah, umm, okay.

I'm not a part of Retake (I could never be bothered enough to do something like that) but I don't see why the people who are part of it deserve such abuse. They're saying "we want a different ending to ME3". They're not saying "legalise rape" or "down with democracy". I think a little perspective is in order.

Scrumpmonkey:
Whilst this was funny, i think that ironically you guys seem kind of mad at the legitimate points brought up by many on last week's comments. Retake Mass Effect may be a little... extreme but at the heart of it they have a legitimate point; The ending sucked. The ending sucked really really really hard. It disregarded the choices the game put so much weight on throughout 3 games, its kind of like Bioware was going "Now all these choices you make are super important and carry over though 3 games- lol jk it didn't mean shit!"

The major selling point of the mass effect series was the customizable personal story you could craft with tour choices. No amount of pundit dismissing will diminish the ending being a bit of a kick in the balls.

Jim seems able to grasp this, why is everyone else effectively dodging the issue and trolling?

And you have stated why I found the comic last time to be so funny. Just read the part that I put into bold.

poiumty:
Rule #1 of lazy comic writing: when out of ideas, use comic to relieve personal frustrations.

whoops, better stop writing or he'll start ridiculing me too

edit: love how the "release date" in the information box says "Q4 2011". Someone hasn't updated the database in a while.

Well considering 90% of the last comics comments were all railing against him and how he didn't get it and was paid off by EA to be nice about the game. Even though the comic had nothing nice to say about the game. Or anything about the game for that matter.

Patrick Anderson:
Fans point out plot holes and inconsistencies with the ending and how it doesn't fit in the story

Game journalists and their websites that are plauged with EA ads call us entitled

Real journalists from Forbes, BBC News, CNN, NY Times, NY Daily news, etc... say the fans have a point and point out all the quotes Bioware said about the ending and how it ended up being lies.

Yeah, and you wonder why no one takes game journalists seriously anymore. I bet most of you game journalists cringe seeing more credible sources like Forbes rip you apart while you have nothing but petty comments to respond with.

And people point out the plot holes and inconsistencies with 90% of what is made after there are already things out there of that series. I also didn't find any major plot holes in the ending to be honest. For one I never actually saw my crew mates with me charging the reaper portal thing. Second Anderson clearly states that he must have been sent to a different part of the citadel than Shepard and that he is moving forward. And then states that he got there before Shepard over the intercom. Its TIM that comes up from behind not Anderson.
The only really big inconsistency is that depending on your ending depends on who leaves the Normandy regardless of who you have in your crew.

jedizero:

Fawxy:

SNIP

Smooth. Real smooth. I see Sherlock will have no difficulty in procuring a new sidekick.

In the meantime, why not show your disgust with one of their badges? It should make things much better. *trollface*

Ha ha! Classic, you guys are great.

I fucking LOVE Charles D'Bear. He is my hands down favorite character. Thank you for including him in recent strips.

Guy Jackson:
Yeah, umm, okay.

I'm not a part of Retake (I could never be bothered enough to do something like that) but I don't see why the people who are part of it deserve such abuse. They're saying "we want a different ending to ME3". They're not saying "legalise rape" or "down with democracy". I think a little perspective is in order.

Well the last comic had the "Retake" moving giving blowjobs for a better ending. Pretty much saying the ending sucks so we will suck for a better ending.
I don't think a lot of people got that joke.
Then they took the comments to say how Carter was paid by EA how they weren't entitled little shits and how he just doesn't get it. Without really thinking about how exactly the strip was a joke.

RJ 17:
So you're saying that the me that is the me I see inside myself isn't the me that other people see but I shouldn't care about that me because the only me that really matters is the me that I see myself as?

I'm saying that me shouldn't be confused with the me that others see in someone else that isn't really me. You should care about the me that's you and not that you want your me to be seen as. Unless you're trying to get a date of course, that goes without saying.

Anyways, joking aside and back to the point: I'm not begrudging people for being extremely passionate about the game. I consider myself pretty passionate about it as well. However you cannot allow that passion to blind you to the facts. The facts remain that Bioware made a product. The consumers bought that product. The consumers didn't like the ending, but there's nothing that says Bioware HAS to make an ending everyone would like, just that they're expected to try their best to do so.

The fact is that a different ending was promised, which is why the one guy went to FTC. False advertisement, except it's a technicality, since it was a blog post or forum post or whatever.
You're right, they don't have to do anything, legally. Morally though? They really should.
Financially? They should, because Bioware is one of the few companies out there who have a very high reputation and if they stick to make good games with good endings, it'll get them even more money.

To use your motorcycle example, it would be like you demanding that Harley Davidson (don't know if that's what you ride, just using it as a name) give you a snow mobile every winter because you don't like the fact that you can't ride. It'd be absurd for them to do so because a snow mobile isn't the product they sold you, they sold you a motorcycle.

What? That comparison was purely for the sake of being passionate or in love with something :D
I drive a beat up Honda Magna from 1988. I knew full well what I was getting into when I bought it. The repair costs alone would've gotten me another bike in two years, unlike the game which I bought on faith and a video review from this site (and probably would've bought anyway, if I'd read all the negative comments about the ending before getting it).

In my eyes, the ideal situation would be for everyone to just have written negative reviews of ME 3, blasting the ending as chopped up BS and that it's a damn shame that Bioware managed to royally fuck up the ending to their epic saga. Now this has already happened - obviously - but the Retake ME movement went further and started harassing the developer, DEMANDING that they give us a new ending. It would have been better if Bioware had taken a look at all the negative feedback and decided "You know what? They're right. We could have done WAY better than what we did. Let's give them something they'll enjoy."

Agreed, that would've been better, so what's stopping them? I know we're getting free DLC with more exposition, but what stopped them from rewriting the ending? They say artistic integrity(In the DLC FAQ - Not because Moviebob said it), but I'd LOVE to know why they did what they did.
I have a feeling that it's something they discussed internally and all agreed that it would be a great ending, which I'm sure is true if you knew all their arguments for it beforehand.

I remember reading about some fan raging regarding Evangelion, but it's been years, I have no proof. Just the "feel" of the situation, y'know?

Mike Fang:
Yeah, when I heard people were petition for a chance to ME3's ending, I just had to roll my eyes. You don't like ME3's ending? Perfectly fine, everybody's entitled to an opinion. You say the ending was bad? Again, perfectly fine and you may very well be right (never got into Mass Effect so I wouldn't know how well or poorly it brings a conclusion to the storyline). Telling the makers to rewrite the ending to satisfy you? That's just stupid. It's the same attitude that has multiplayer game developers constantly nerfing new weapons a week or so after they come out; selfish people who aren't content to just voice their displeasure and then move on, they've got to demand gratification.

Now it's not just gameplay people are demanding be smoothed out so it doesn't give people any sort of challenge; they don't want to be challenged by the storyline either. ME3 may very well have a crappy ending, but sometimes you have to learn to speak your peace, then accept things turned out badly and move on. The next logical step would be people don't like a perfectly valid ending because it didn't happen to be the one they wanted, so they demand a rewrite. It makes me think of the scenario of Stephen King's "Misery," a rabid fan refusing to accept an unexpected turn of events and forcing the writer to change things to their own liking.

I didn't know that asking them to fix plot holes and inconsistencies is demanding gratification.

Huh. Boy, those guys who want Deception rewritten must be really mad, huh. They're angry about the entire book, not just 10 last pages!

Krion_Vark:

Guy Jackson:
Yeah, umm, okay.

Well the last comic had the "Retake" moving giving blowjobs for a better ending. Pretty much saying the ending sucks so we will suck for a better ending.
Then they took the comments to say how Carter was paid by EA how they weren't entitled little shits and how he just doesn't get it. Without really thinking about how exactly the strip was a joke.

Oh right, I see.

This is called trolling now?

What has the internet come to...

good times. The fact that this has gone on for over a month is pathetic

Excellent strip. Just wonderful.

I'm confused.

*sigh*

This thing is being milked hard.

Krion_Vark:

Guy Jackson:
Yeah, umm, okay.

I didn't bother commenting on that comic, personally, but I'd like to say now that the comic didn't actually say the ending sucked; it simply said it was unhappy.

It looked, to me, like one of many outlets misrepresenting the Retake movement as just a bunch of people desperate for a happy conclusion, when in fact people are complaining about the quality of the writing.

But, on the other hand, maybe they just wanted the "happy ending" punchline. I don't know, and I didn't care enough to comment at the time.

I suspect this'll be lost on the very pe-

jedizero:

Fawxy:

But y'know? After paying over a hundred dollars to continue the game where one of the major selling points is how the world can be defined and altered in a zillion little ways, and screwing over the consumer base by simply giving you THREE endings which all do the same fucking thing no matter what you choose, I think I've earned a right to say "This blows, and if you want to prove that your games are going to be worth purchasing in the future, you better fucking fix it."

Yep, surprise.

Think about the last panel for more than 2 seconds. I mean, really think about it. Because you are the butt of the joke, but not because you want the ending changed.

RJ 17:
>.> there's a vgcats comic that I wanna post here...but is it right to post another webcomic in the comment section for someone's webcomic? :3

Do you mean the newest (whatever that means in VGcats context)or a comic that is unreleted to the game but has a similar topic?

For those offended by this comic, please stop doing so. The Retake Mass Effect movement was a giant wave of entitled, annoying overreaction. It is one thing to blow up the mailbox of Bioware with "Please make the ending better" messages, if that was only the case...instead what do we see happen, charities dedicated to changing the ending of a game, COMPLAINTS TO THE FTC, and the one thing I didn't mind, cupcakes that Bioware sent to children in an orphanage. I'm sorry but when you send complaints to the Federal Trade Center about "False Advertising" because of the ending it's gone way too far. If you didn't like the ending, send E-Mails, send snail mail, or just stop buying EA products. I'm sorry but Retake Mass Effect is basically a group of enraged, entitled babies who don't know the proper ways of broadcasting a message, making charities dedicated to one thing you don't like and complaining to the FTC are not proper ways of doing this and will most likely only lead to your own damn ridicule. If you're upset or disgruntled by my message just remember that I'm not saying that it's wrong to not like or otherwise be disappointed by the ending, it's fine to be upset just don't do stupid things because of it, just like any other situation concerning upset people.

EDIT: Petitions are perfectly fine too.

With comics like these it is really hard to see what side is the more childish of the two.

I want to find this funny, but I'm so bored of the ME3 controversy now that this strip just seems to irritate me. Can we move on now please?

Alphakirby:
The Retake Mass Effect movement was a giant wave of entitled, annoying overreaction.

I lean towards your viewpoint, but I do think that the fans were entitled to at least ask. That is, having the right to ask instead of falsely believing they do. I mean, it's not wrong to ask a studio to fix their buggy game or their unbalanced multiplayer, so why not a bad ending. I'm not defending them, and I do think some of them have gone too far, (for evidence, try reading through this thread) but I don't think their motives can be entirely faulted.

trollpwner:

Alphakirby:
The Retake Mass Effect movement was a giant wave of entitled, annoying overreaction.

I lean towards your viewpoint, but I do think that the fans were entitled to at least ask. That is, having the right to ask instead of falsely believing they do. I mean, it's not wrong to ask a studio to fix their buggy game or their unbalanced multiplayer, so why not a bad ending. I'm not defending them, and I do think some of them have gone too far, (for evidence, try reading through this thread) but I don't think their motives can be entirely faulted.

That's what I'm saying. It's alright to ask or in my opinion even go as far as to start a petition to show how many people want it.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

I'd actually be surprised if people seriously got mad at this.
Passing this along anyway :D

I had really hoped that we're through with the Mass Effect comics.

Beryl77:
I had really hoped that we're through with the Mass Effect comics.

The next comic will take form of a batch of cupcakes that will be sent to everyone's homes. Chocolate N7 cupcakes and Vanilla Crybaby cupcakes

I didn't buy me3 nor will I because I knew it would be as bad as me2 or worse

and as to the 'comic'

there's a slight flaw, that the entitled whiner-babys will demand a new ending to the comic too

Qitz:
I R AGREY! SUPER SERIAL!

Butthurt is assuming direct control.

How'd.....How'd you get the shirt on the bear?

That bear has a name you know.

OT: Brilliant, glad to see the return of Scary Penny and Charles

My sincerest gratitude. I think this is the best way to describe my feelings on the whole masshebang.

I'm a play a game now, 'stead of bitchin' 'bout it

edit: though I do like this particular take:

Secret world leader (shhh):

I smell a shitstorm on the horizon. Ew.

Theres a Bathroom on the right.

I get the joke or hopefully I do:

Scrumpmonkey:
Jim seems able to grasp this, why is everyone else effectively dodging the issue and trolling?

Page views. Nothing more at this point.

Yeah, I see what they did there. It's a snarky "I didn't call Ms. Pac-Man a c*nt, I said that the Pac-Man graphic looks like a vagina, and that when it opens its mouth to bite down on a dot, it reminds me of a spermatozoa being ejaculated into the vagina. That's what I meant when I said "Ms. Pac-Man's a c*unt." type of attack. I know this type of attack quite well because I tend to employ it regularly.

If you support the Retake Mass Effect movement, then this comic is likely to annoy you because it's a thinly veiled jab at you, but you can't quite make the argument that the comic is jabbing you in the nose because it's supposed to be someone in the comic making fun of you, not the comic itself, ergo this is a comment on the industry and how the industry is capitalizing on this issue. If you think that the Retake Mass Effect is made up of entitled whiny crybabies, then you're likely to love this comic because it jabs those whiny entitled crybabies right in the nose and there's nothing they can do about it except make themselves look even worse because they totally didn't get the comic - see, it's not about them (wink, wink) but about the gaming industry. (wink, wink)

The comic should have started off with blond chick standing over brown haired dude at the computer, reading something on it. Then there should have been a look of epiphany come across her features. (maybe a literal lightbulb drawn in, dunno if that's in line with the style of the comic or not.) Then move into the rest of the comic. That would take away most of the ambiguity about the comic and get what's likely the "intention" of the comic across with even more clarity.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here