Mass Effect 3: Retake This

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I see what you did there. Although that whistling sound appears to be coming from the joke flying over all those angry people's heads . . .

I guess I'm supposed to laugh at some point.....nope.

Maybe I just don't 'get it' but this just looks like yet another "Mass Effect thingy" designed to aggravate people just when things start to quiet down.

I don't call people who wanted the ending changed "whiney, entitled crybabies", not because I agree or disagree but because using blanket statements for any group of people is only going to end up in a pointless argument.

We just need to stop with everything ME3 related. The ending sucked but it's not going so change to may as well just drop it.

I don't see how your in any which way entitled...

This whole issue is so detrimental to the industry as a whole if people ever want gaming to be considered a serious medium...

Fawxy:
Wait wait wait wait wait wait...

Why the fuck are people taking this strip seriously? They're obviously poking fun at the whole situation, not just the fans' supposed "entitlement".

Lighten the fuck up, people.

Really gives you a bit of an insight into the minds of the people who have yet to stop complaining yet doesn't it?

Like, oh my god, you totally don't get it...

I support the bear, I'm super mad :P *lol* great comic/episode :D

El Dwarfio:
I don't see how your in any which way entitled...

This whole issue is so detrimental to the industry as a whole if people ever want gaming to be considered a serious medium...

So does this mean you'll be joining me in my re-take the Matrix campaign? Or re-take 2001: a space oddessy? I mean that ending just came out of nowhere, and nothing got resolved! Or perhaps re-take the Mona Lisa!

The game was never OURS to begin with! It was Bioware's! There is literally NOTHING for the re-take movement to re-take! If they picked a better name they probably wouldn't be called self entitled so often!

Patrick Anderson:
Fans point out plot holes and inconsistencies with the ending and how it doesn't fit in the story

Game journalists and their websites that are plauged with EA ads call us entitled

Real journalists from Forbes, BBC News, CNN, NY Times, NY Daily news, etc... say the fans have a point and point out all the quotes Bioware said about the ending and how it ended up being lies.

Yeah, and you wonder why no one takes game journalists seriously anymore. I bet most of you game journalists cringe seeing more credible sources like Forbes rip you apart while you have nothing but petty comments to respond with.

*plagued

and no strictly speaking they didn't lie, sure maybe there weren't enough choices, but ethically and legally its fair game.

Now if you'll excuse me i have everything else in the universe to do.

RJ 17:

Scrumpmonkey:

I don't think that people are dodging the fact that ME 3's ending was terrible, equivalent to a slap in the face, and in the worst case: an outright lie.

"The ending won't be take your pick of A, B, and C" (paraphrased) - Casey Hudson.

Well actually Casey, it turned out to be exactly that.

Here's the point that the anti-Retake ME people have: you bought the game. You paid for it. It's yours. You don't like the ending? Alright, you don't like the ending. Sucks, but....get over it.

Whilst i would be very quick to distance myself from more extreme aspects of the "Retake" movement i think the reason why so many people have got so mad is because of the binary reaction to the backlash. Mass Effect 3 had a lazy, obviously rushed and tacked on ending. There has been a baseline failure to deal with the issue in gaming punditry/ journalism/ commentary.

A LOT of the anger would simply fade away if there hadn't been such an initial "LOL Y U MAD THO?" reaction from so many. All that needed to be said was "Yes you have a point, the ending terrible but you are taking it a little far". Instead all we got was outright abuse and some kind of mantra of "Disliking the ending to Mass Effect 3 makes you a terrible, entitled, whiny non-person". And drawing attention to the fact you are being a generalizing asshole does not make it any better.

The ending to the Mass Effect series was a huge letdown. They simply copped out. I would welcome a little closure. Does that make me such a bad person Grey Carter? Does it warrant such a baseline personal attack on everyone who took issue with the ending?

You really will have to tell us if anyone does write to you to complain about this.

Lolz will surely follow.......probably followed by a lawsuit.

Mr. Carter, you are my hero. Not that I hate the Retake Mass Effect movement, just that this comic strip is very funny. Thank you.

EDIT: And this is from someone who has played Mass Effect 3 FYI.

I find it rather hilarious that this comic is doing what it's poking fun at, which other people have already pointed out.

Though, I only see this spiraling into worse from here on out. Not this thread, the whole ME3 debacle.

Scrumpmonkey:
"Disliking the ending to Mass Effect 3 makes you a terrible, entitled, whiny non-person".

Then there's a miscommunication here. The reason EA/Bioware responded the way they did wasn't because the internet was buzzing with "The ending to ME3 absolutely sucked, ruined the franchise, etc etc." It was quite specifically "The ending to ME3 absolutely sucked, ruined the franchise, and they OWE us something better!!!" That's where the term "entitled" came into the situation. Again I point to the comparison of any other story out there. You can read a series of novels, enjoy them thoroughly, get to the end and find a big middle-finger of an ending. Are you suddenly going to start writing to the author demanding they give you a better ending? Or would you write a review of the books, tell everyone the author is a hack because he/she couldn't come up with a proper ending, and decide never to buy anything by said author again?

The former response is a rather crazy one if you ask me, and DOES seem like it's coming from someone who feels they are entitled to a better ending. The latter is the more sensible way of doing things, it punishes the author for making poor choices by damaging their reputation and their future income.

cursedseishi:

WanderingFool:
Heh... geuss thats on par...

Wait! Whats the girl with the crush on Nathan Fillion doing with her fingers outside the comic box!?

OH GOD!!!

*In fetal position*

THE FORTH WALL WILL PROTECT ME!THE FORTH WALL WILL PROTECT ME!THE FORTH WALL WILL PROTECT ME!

Captcha: step over. NOT FUNNY!

Oh, but it was funny for her...

That's why she's giggling right behind you.

You know, after I read this, I chuckled... than turn around to look to see if anything was there...

Heh. That was pretty good. What makes it even more sweet is the fact that many of the Retake ME don't get the joke. Not sure who that says more about, the Retakers or people on the internet in general. :)

Patrick Anderson:
Yeah, and you wonder why no one takes game journalists seriously anymore. I bet most of you game journalists cringe seeing more credible sources like Forbes rip you apart while you have nothing but petty comments to respond with.

Comic strip writing =/= game journalism
Those of us with the intelligence not to rely on the media to form our opinions can notice that this is all intended with humour. Don't make an account on the site just to insult its content unthinkingly.

> Retakers complain that people don't "get" what their movement is all about.
> Same people don't get the joke behind the comic.

This, my friends, is what we call "irony".

Did everyone who is whining willfully misinterpret this? It's not making fun of the retake movement. It's showing the evil boss lady purposefully antagonizing one side of a controversy in order to profit of their feelings. If anything it's lampooning how frankly reactionary a lot of these arguments have become, people instantly siding one way or another without thinking about the arguments or even whats going on; resorting to pointless ad hom attacks and gratuitous use of the word "entitled" whilst throwing money at random things.

LIKE THEY HAVE DONE IN THIS THREAD.

So...
I have indeed signed up for the retake ME3 page, didnt have time to give money for the cupcakes, but i thought it was funny and clever.

I tho still dont get why so many game journalists have the -you whinny morons asking to change the ending, you stupid crybabys blabla bla- threads, videos and comics, going on for how many weeks already? 4? 5?

Ill tell you exactly what you tell us: GET OVER IT ALREADY.

Thank you.

I'm still buying that Marauder Shields T-Shirt.

Having skipped the bajillion angry posts... does anyone else get that the joke is

"Get people mad, then profit off it"

The punch line is the intended profit, not upsetting the people here.

FinalHeart95:

No no, we get it.
Tho im personaly tired of the same thing (cybabies, retake this comic, whinners blabla) over and over again.

Teresa Lass:

FinalHeart95:

No no, we get it.
Tho im personaly tired of the same thing (cybabies, retake this comic, whinners blabla) over and over again.

So....you don't actually get it?

trollpwner:

Teresa Lass:

FinalHeart95:

No no, we get it.

So....you don't actually get it?

Sigh
Let me put it in other words: when your laughed at is difficult to laugh at the joke.

Teresa Lass:

Sigh
Let me put it in other words: when your laughed at is difficult to laugh at the joke.

Yeah, but the joke in this is squarely aimed at the people who deliberately stir up trouble to gain money... I'm not sure what it means if you consider yourself to be the 'victim' of the joke.

trollpwner:

Teresa Lass:

Sigh

Yeah, but the joke in this is squarely aimed at the people who deliberately stir up trouble to gain money... I'm not sure what it means if you consider yourself to be the 'victim' of the joke.

Well its aimed for moking the retake movement, in one way or another. So i guess as part of the movement i cant laugh at the joke.
While i dont consider myself victimized, in all and all its just a couple of ppl making a joke of already old news.

Again tho, cant laugh.

am i the only one who actually expected that ending? i mean stuff was messed up and there was no way anything was going to be the same again. just kinda saying that everything blew up and everyone died just kinda made sense to me.

Wow. I feel compelled to light up a cigarette after reading all these comments.

ryanthemadman:
am i the only one who actually expected that ending? i mean stuff was messed up and there was no way anything was going to be the same again. just kinda saying that everything blew up and everyone died just kinda made sense to me.

Man, I could have lived with that ending, I wish that's how it ended :p

the one we got was worse than rocks fall everyone dies.

Seventh Actuality:
You must know that this is still going to be too subtle for most of your readers.

And using it to directly follow a strip where you unironically did say something retarded about the ME3 controversy is probably not the best timing. Unless that was intentional. But I doubt it.

Huh.

Suggesting people be civil to keep from sabotaging their own arguments is retarded?

lacktheknack:

On a side note, why did you draw Penny's eyes staring into my soul? ;_;

Because she is o.O

I had someone on another thread legitimately tell me that his loathing of the ending to ME3 completely invalidated the fun he had actually playing all three games. That was the exact moment when I stopped taking the RME movement seriously.

(It didn't help that me joking about intentionally not watching the ending when I reach it was apparently too subtle.)

Less 'funny' and more 'absolutely condescending'.

Christ.

poiumty:
Rule #1 of lazy comic writing: when out of ideas, use comic to relieve personal frustrations.

whoops, better stop writing or he'll start ridiculing me too

edit: love how the "release date" in the information box says "Q4 2011". Someone hasn't updated the database in a while.

You realize the comic is actually making fun of the people mocking the retake ME movement right?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)