Mass Effect 3: Retake This

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Teresa Lass:

trollpwner:

Teresa Lass:

Sigh
Let me put it in other words: when your laughed at is difficult to laugh at the joke.

Yeah, but the joke in this is squarely aimed at the people who deliberately stir up trouble to gain money... I'm not sure what it means if you consider yourself to be the 'victim' of the joke.

Well its aimed for moking the retake movement, in one way or another. So i guess as part of the movement i cant laugh at the joke.
While i dont consider myself victimized, in all and all its just a couple of ppl making a joke of already old news.

Again tho, cant laugh.

t

So you didn't get it at all then. They AREN'T making fun of the retake movement in this comic.

Bigeyez:

poiumty:
Rule #1 of lazy comic writing: when out of ideas, use comic to relieve personal frustrations.

whoops, better stop writing or he'll start ridiculing me too

edit: love how the "release date" in the information box says "Q4 2011". Someone hasn't updated the database in a while.

You realize the comic is actually making fun of the people mocking the retake ME movement right?

"Ask Grey how much Bioware and EA paid him to write this comic."

Oh yeah, TOTALLY.

Grey Carter:

Suggesting people be civil to keep from sabotaging their own arguments is retarded?

Commenting solely on the failings of one side when the disproportionately vast majority of the uncivility, immaturity and 'intellectual dishonesty' is coming from the other is pretty retarded, yes.

Especially when suspicions of corruption in the gaming media are not something unique to this issue, or even an unreasonable thing to say or think when IGN, pretty much the main voice calling "GAMER ENTITLEMENT!" have one of their goddamned employees in a highly-publicised role in the game.

Patrick Anderson:
Fans point out plot holes and inconsistencies with the ending and how it doesn't fit in the story

Game journalists and their websites that are plauged with EA ads call us entitled

Real journalists from Forbes, BBC News, CNN, NY Times, NY Daily news, etc... say the fans have a point and point out all the quotes Bioware said about the ending and how it ended up being lies.

Yeah, and you wonder why no one takes game journalists seriously anymore. I bet most of you game journalists cringe seeing more credible sources like Forbes rip you apart while you have nothing but petty comments to respond with.

I don't know who you are but you need to comment more. That is a great point.

Jeez, how many people didn't get that this comic was making fun of the people writing the articles, not the Retakers themselves? And it doesn't make fun of the retake movement's beliefs, it makes fun of how much of a sucker they are for giving page views to articles made precisely to rile them up and make money (like Samantha Brick's articles).

I have neutral feelings for today's comic strip. It is funny in a sense, yet I am one of those fans who care to much about ME3's ending to not do anything about it. However, it did make me realize that companies probably have and would take advantage of fans to sell them merchandise that enables them in the 'support' of showing how much they dislike ME3 and so forth.

Seventh Actuality:

Grey Carter:

Suggesting people be civil to keep from sabotaging their own arguments is retarded?

Commenting solely on the failings of one side when the disproportionately vast majority of the uncivility, immaturity and 'intellectual dishonesty' is coming from the other is pretty retarded, yes.

The vast majority? Really? I've seen maybe 20-30 full-fledged journalists take a negative stance on the issue, maybe half of which were insulting. I take more personal insults than that from readers on a daily basis, just for doing my job. The female journos I know take maybe twice that. Journalists should remain professional, of course, hence today's strip. But that's because I care about journalistic standards, not readers' hurt feelings.

Grey Carter:
Wow. I feel compelled to light up a cigarette after reading all these comments.

In a shaky "what have I done/unleashed!?" sort of way, or a lean back and take in the sights sort of way?

I'm thinking the latter one. Well done.

RJ 17:

Scrumpmonkey:
Whilst this was funny, i think that ironically you guys seem kind of mad at the legitimate points brought up by many on last week's comments. Retake Mass Effect may be a little... extreme but at the heart of it they have a legitimate point; The ending sucked. The ending sucked really really really hard. It disregarded the choices the game put so much weight on throughout 3 games, its kind of like Bioware was going "Now all these choices you make are super important and carry over though 3 games- lol jk it didn't mean shit!"

The major selling point of the mass effect series was the customizable personal story you could craft with tour choices. No amount of pundit dismissing will diminish the ending being a bit of a kick in the balls.

Jim seems able to grasp this, why is everyone else effectively dodging the issue and trolling?

I don't think that people are dodging the fact that ME 3's ending was terrible, equivalent to a slap in the face, and in the worst case: an outright lie.

"The ending won't be take your pick of A, B, and C" (paraphrased) - Casey Hudson.

Well actually Casey, it turned out to be exactly that.

Here's the point that the anti-Retake ME people have: you bought the game. You paid for it. It's yours. You don't like the ending? Alright, you don't like the ending. Sucks, but....get over it.

When you pay for a movie and don't like the ending, you don't demand that the ending be rewritten. You write up a critique and say "Well the movie was good but the ending sucked."

When you pay for a book and don't like the ending, you don't demand that the ending be rewritten. You write up a critique and say "Well the book was good but the ending sucked."

That's why people are calling the Retake ME movement "entitled crybabies." Does it absolutely suck that the ending to ME 3 sucks so much? Yes, yes it certainly does. Does Hudson deserve to be kicked in the balls by every ME fan? Yes, yes he most certainly does...with steel-toed boots.

But the fact of the matter remains that there have been bad endings to all sorts of stories throughout history, this isn't the first time this has happened. When you encounter a bad ending, you curse those responsible for creating it, but you move on with your life. You don't start a protest movement.

ofcourse it was a a,b,c pick ending the other 2 games were the same pick A. to save the coucil or B. to let them die. it is a game about choices so ofcourse the ending will have a choice and that will require me to pick a, b, c

starhaven:

RJ 17:

Scrumpmonkey:
Whilst this was funny, i think that ironically you guys seem kind of mad at the legitimate points brought up by many on last week's comments. Retake Mass Effect may be a little... extreme but at the heart of it they have a legitimate point; The ending sucked. The ending sucked really really really hard. It disregarded the choices the game put so much weight on throughout 3 games, its kind of like Bioware was going "Now all these choices you make are super important and carry over though 3 games- lol jk it didn't mean shit!"

The major selling point of the mass effect series was the customizable personal story you could craft with tour choices. No amount of pundit dismissing will diminish the ending being a bit of a kick in the balls.

Jim seems able to grasp this, why is everyone else effectively dodging the issue and trolling?

I don't think that people are dodging the fact that ME 3's ending was terrible, equivalent to a slap in the face, and in the worst case: an outright lie.

"The ending won't be take your pick of A, B, and C" (paraphrased) - Casey Hudson.

Well actually Casey, it turned out to be exactly that.

Here's the point that the anti-Retake ME people have: you bought the game. You paid for it. It's yours. You don't like the ending? Alright, you don't like the ending. Sucks, but....get over it.

When you pay for a movie and don't like the ending, you don't demand that the ending be rewritten. You write up a critique and say "Well the movie was good but the ending sucked."

When you pay for a book and don't like the ending, you don't demand that the ending be rewritten. You write up a critique and say "Well the book was good but the ending sucked."

That's why people are calling the Retake ME movement "entitled crybabies." Does it absolutely suck that the ending to ME 3 sucks so much? Yes, yes it certainly does. Does Hudson deserve to be kicked in the balls by every ME fan? Yes, yes he most certainly does...with steel-toed boots.

But the fact of the matter remains that there have been bad endings to all sorts of stories throughout history, this isn't the first time this has happened. When you encounter a bad ending, you curse those responsible for creating it, but you move on with your life. You don't start a protest movement.

ofcourse it was a a,b,c pick ending the other 2 games were the same pick A. to save the coucil or B. to let them die. it is a game about choices so ofcourse the ending will have a choice and that will require me to pick a, b, c

Ahhhh but ME 1, at least, actually had a different ending depending on the actions you performed in the game. For instance, my personal favorite ending was playing the game making all the big decisions in a Renegade manner, and yet when it comes to that final choice: go ahead and save the council. The conversation at the end is much different than if you go full Paragon and save them. It's more something like "We now understand that the galaxy needs a hero like you, someone to do the dirty work. We may disagree with your methods, but we cannot deny that you get solid results." rather than "You are an outstanding exemplar of all that is great in Humanity. With your shining example to lead the way, we would be honored to have Humanity join our council." yadda yadda yadda.

I think this is more the kind of ending that people were wanting, endings that were clearly different (yet still the same-ish, as it would have to be) from one to the other. But that's my own personal opinion.

The masses are pissed off at the ending not just because it was "Pick A, B, or C" it was the fact that there was absolutely no (real) difference between the three. Essentially all you're picking is "What color do you want to paint the galaxy?"

What i don't understand is, why people care? What comes out of calling people assholes, crybabies etc. Yes people does't like the ending, people want it gone and want a new one. My calculation is, there is more people disliking the ending then people liking it. So why is the constant name calling and patronizing? If you are not on the ''If the ending changes games will never be art'' kind of person, then why?

MatsVS:
Not mad. Just sad.

:'(

Agreed. That was mean.

I haven't played Mass Effect 3 yet and it still felt alittle hurtful.

Duh, not really mad but sad... Escapist suddenly dropped to kotaku level here.
I mean, surly you're not getting that little traffic.

Lord_Gremlin:

You're so close to getting it. Keep thinking!

Wow, it's so amazing how the real joke of the comic flew past so many commenters' heads. Did they stop reading before the last panel? It's probably something like that, yeah, I see it happen all the time on the Steam forums. People are so desperate to be angry at something they won't notice when something has nothing to do with it and they'll get mad anyway.

This is how I feel about derpy getting edited, why do I feel the entitlement? Because they made me!

Grey Carter:

Lord_Gremlin:

You're so close to getting it. Keep thinking!

Are you really going to act like that? Really? Please stop being such a dick. Someone who didn't get it just didn't get it, I think mocking them is in bad taste.

Of course some of the response directed at you aren't right, but god, this whole affair is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

After seeing how many pages of comments this thread has created over such a short amount of time, I'm starting to feel the need to lie down due to the staggering levels of irony. It wasn't even like it was particularly subtle, either, but my goodness, how the point has been missed. Life imitating art indeed.

. . . Although the art was an observation of life. So . . . life imitating art imitating life. Something like that.

Wow, Sharon really is a master of exploitation. Awesome. Good to see the old cast of this strip make an appearance.

Oh and before I forget:
Grey, how much did Bioware and EA pay you to write this comic? And...
Is there anything I can write that would cause Bioware and EA to give me money too? That'd be nice.

It's like wrangling cattle really.
Get them riled up and then point them somewhere, potentially towards emptying their wallets.
Cry baby wannabe consumerists cattle.

To the author, and artist of this awesome comic strip: I need to high five the both of you immediately. Also you both need to be treated to a wonderful dinner at the restaurant of your choosing.

been a while since I have seen such perfect trollbait.

Well, when Sterling actually said he agreed with the retake mass effect thing as an idea, I thought the escapist as a whole was for it, but well, difference of opinions is always a good thing.

Cory Rydell:

lacktheknack:

On a side note, why did you draw Penny's eyes staring into my soul? ;_;

Because she is o.O

AUGH BALLS I THINK SHE MOVED

Doctor Glocktor:
Less 'funny' and more 'absolutely condescending'.

Christ.

You realize he wasn't targeting you, right?

Christ, these comments are depressing. You may want to be less subtle in the future, Grey.

Alternatively, you could use Erin's co-workers more often so people remember them (although Scary Penny and the bear should have been a dead giveaway).

lacktheknack:
Christ, these comments are depressing. You may want to be less subtle in the future, Grey.

Yeah. Subtle. That's what it was.

MatsVS:

lacktheknack:

Yeah. Subtle. That's what it was.

Then explain why I'm one of five people who gets the joke.

This comic and the accompanying thread is a PhD in sociology just waiting to happen.

lacktheknack:

Oh please, get over yourself. We all got the joke. However, unlike you, we also got that there was a fundamental disconnect between the comic and the text. We also realized that, given Grey's previously established stance on the subject matter as well as the people in question, it was a joke made in bad faith, not meant to entertain but to demonstrate. To undermine.

Yeah. Subtle.

I get it.

You guys are still late to the party and beating a dead horse at this point in either case though. So... still dropping to Kotaku level but for a different reason?

Blergh. Just bring us back on track with Erin getting drunk please.

MatsVS:

lacktheknack:

Oh please, get over yourself. We all got the joke. However, unlike you, we also got that there was a fundamental disconnect between the comic and the text. We also realized that, given Grey's previously established stance on the subject matter as well as the people in question, it was a joke made in bad faith, not meant to entertain but to demonstrate. To undermine.

Yeah. Subtle.

Oh, the "established stance" defined by fan speculation, deliberately ignoring the use of puns and word-clinging?

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

At any rate, if what you're saying is true, then it only highlights to me that people take everything too goddamned seriously.

You seem to be taking the same approach to this so called "gamer entitlement" that IGN is. I don't think you realize the shallowness of this approach.

Wait a bloody minute, why the hell is this on the front page twice?

I see what you did there...

And, hot damn, are the comments endlessly amusing.

Personal note; loved the game, hated the ending, would love them to change it, (or confirm indoctrination theory as the biggest, riskiest move in videogame storytelling) but they probably won't.

I'm off to play some more games i love instead.

That was enjoyably witty.

And the thread explodes again.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook