Mass Effect 3: Retake This

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Knight Templar:
Subtle, I like it.

By subtle I mean obvious.

It's retardedly obvious. And that makes me worry about some of the people commenting.

Old Topic is Old

Can you move along and make some real comics or do we want to just keep beating the dead horse known as Bioware....

Also...Im immune to this... I didnt play ME3....

*standing applause*
I would buy 1 of those shirts for everyday of the week, plus one of each button.

Grey Carter:

Lord_Gremlin:
Duh, not really mad but sad... Escapist suddenly dropped to kotaku level here.

You're so close to getting it. Keep thinking!

The worst part of this, and the biggest flame starter is that this person is incredibly smug and condescending. I would say that this turns me off from the comic, however that would mean very little as I know that the enjoyment of the art will improve once this whole Mass Effect debate ends.

Grey Carter:

Seventh Actuality:

Grey Carter:

Suggesting people be civil to keep from sabotaging their own arguments is retarded?

Commenting solely on the failings of one side when the disproportionately vast majority of the uncivility, immaturity and 'intellectual dishonesty' is coming from the other is pretty retarded, yes.

The vast majority? Really? I've seen maybe 20-30 full-fledged journalists take a negative stance on the issue, maybe half of which were insulting. I take more personal insults than that from readers on a daily basis, just for doing my job. The female journos I know take maybe twice that. Journalists should remain professional, of course, hence today's strip. But that's because I care about journalistic standards, not readers' hurt feelings.

I've noticed this same thing. Many "journalists" have taken a stance supporting Bioware where as the vast majority of non journalists and fans are heavily protesting the ending. I think the journalists are in the wrong on this issue. Not only that but you seem to lauding over the belief that these "journalists" opinions are somehow more valid than non journalists. These are the SAME people who rated the game so highly despite its many flaws that caused huge controversy among consumers. Game journalists themselves admit that they often don't have much time to even play through a game completely. Are you sure their limited time gives a better representation compared to a player who spends hundreds of hours exploring a game? Who really understands the game better?

The ending was bad. Just plain bad. I'm not just talking about the last 10 minutes but many parts of the mission on earth as well. A turret scene that pops out of nowhere....a comms station where you can magically have a few meaningless lines of dialogue with everyone. Then there was the reported controversy of the ending being written solely by the one writer while the rest of the game was worked on by the whole team. Even if you don't think it's bad you have to at least mention all the flaws and sloppiness the game has. The funny thing is that journalists seemed to miss these gaping narrative wounds but when hundreds of thousands of players point them out they are attacked as being "entitled." Every time a journalist defends the ending of Mass Effect it makes them look like an idiot. It ruined one of the best science fiction stories ever.

Then to make matters worse you have journalists that all seem to be jumping on the band wagon of bashing gamers for this made up thing called "gamer entitlement." Gamers do feel strongly about these products but it is NOT entitlement. We spend hundred of hours and hundreds dollars on these games. We put huge investment into these games. I think we deserve some say.

Times have changed with consumer feedback in games just as they have in journalism. We have a direct line of communication with game publishers and developers via electronic means. We can make our voice heard instead of just being a blind crash test dummy who just sits there after a game comes out whether it was good or bad. We can let the developer know whether the made a great game or screwed up and we can do it in force.

Journalists and developers should care what readers and players think. We are the force that supports this industry.

PS: I might be completely misinterpreting your post but I mainly just wanted to state how I felt about the whole issue and how I think it's very complex.

Sparrow:

Patrick Anderson:
Fans point out plot holes and inconsistencies with the ending and how it doesn't fit in the story

Game journalists and their websites that are plauged with EA ads call us entitled

Real journalists from Forbes, BBC News, CNN, NY Times, NY Daily news, etc... say the fans have a point and point out all the quotes Bioware said about the ending and how it ended up being lies.

Yeah, and you wonder why no one takes game journalists seriously anymore. I bet most of you game journalists cringe seeing more credible sources like Forbes rip you apart while you have nothing but petty comments to respond with.

Gotta' agree with this. Sarcasm or not, this strip reminded me that gaming journalists have handled this horribly. Instead of "let's look at both sides of this" it's devolved into "well, I didn't see anything wrong with the ending so you guys are just entitled asswipes." On the other hand, a shitload of non-gaming journalists have handled this with the tact expected of them. They looked into the technical details, identified how the situation could be "fixed", if it should be fixed or not and so on.

So, yeah. Not bothered about gamers being entitled or not, I'm more bothered about the piss poor excuses we have for gaming journalists nowadays. Oh, and Escapist, I'm talking about you too.

I think there's a problem here, in that you might be confusing "Not looking at both sides of the argument" with "disagreeing with my opinion". Possibly because you possess the belief that no one who considered your argument could disagree, possibly because you don't see that that these people may have looked at both sides, just that they haven't PUBLISHED their looking at both sides. Usual journalists can't just come out with an opinion about games, they have to show how they got there, because it isn't their medium, they don't have the confidence to just throw a judgement about it when they have no expert knowledge. Gaming journalists do not suffer this problem. Is Mathew Paris going to bother explaining his thought process behind his view that Neo-Conservative interventionism is a bad idea? Of course not, he doesn't need to, anyone with an understand of what he's on about is already going to know what he means. Does Jeremy Paxman need to explain WHY he thinks that the Home Secretary needs to know what the National Insurance rate is? Of course not, anyone with a rudimentary understanding of British politics will know why.

Also, I would advise you to look at what the journalists of other mediums (literature, film etc) said about the movement, it may be a much more informed opinion. Oh and you know your argument is falling foul when you appeal to people with a more limited understanding of the subject just because they agree with you.

EDIT: A very well done to the Cory and Grey, though I think this thread is proof enough that "the idiot trap" was very successful. It seems very refreshing to find that comic strip writers are willing to express their opinions undeterred by the moaning that inevitably ensues.

*chuckles* quite a well played troll there.

IMO, the retake side has some good points but have come off closer to the entitled crying stereotype rather than the reasonable upset customer side they want to be seen as.

There are plenty of logical calmer people that bring up sure plotholes in the ending but the movement was started and filled by far more of the overreactionary stereotype than they'd like to believe.

I probably don't get it. I'm not actually sure if I do. Either way, it's a bit disappointing.

If I do get it then well... that's just sad...

If I don't get it then well... there's this thing about having to explain your jokes...

I suppose it's a bit like having to explain your endings.

Cause he knew NONE of you would read the last panel and get it. Well done sir, I salute you.

Moo.

Immsys:
I think there's a problem here, in that you might be confusing "Not looking at both sides of the argument" with "disagreeing with my opinion". Possibly because you possess the belief that no one who considered your argument could disagree, possibly because you don't see that that these people may have looked at both sides, just that they haven't PUBLISHED their looking at both sides. Usual journalists can't just come out with an opinion about games, they have to show how they got there, because it isn't their medium, they don't have the confidence to just throw a judgement about it when they have no expert knowledge. Gaming journalists do not suffer this problem. Is Mathew Paris going to bother explaining his thought process behind his view that Neo-Conservative interventionism is a bad idea? Of course not, he doesn't need to, anyone with an understand of what he's on about is already going to know what he means. Does Jeremy Paxman need to explain WHY he thinks that the Home Secretary needs to know what the National Insurance rate is? Of course not, anyone with a rudimentary understanding of British politics will know why.

Also, I would advise you to look at what the journalists of other mediums (literature, film etc) said about the movement, it may be a much more informed opinion. Oh and you know your argument is falling foul when you appeal to people with a more limited understanding of the subject just because they agree with you.

EDIT: A very well done to the Cory and Grey, though I think this thread is proof enough that "the idiot trap" was very successful. It seems very refreshing to find that comic strip writers are willing to express their opinions undeterred by the moaning that inevitably ensues.

Are you serious? You don't even know my opinion on the subject and you've opened up with "well, your opinion is wrong." You're either a troll or narrow minded. I can't believe you have the audacity to tell me my opinion (which you don't know at this point) is wrong and therefore you must be right based on zero evidence.

Well done for being part of the problem. And for the record? I give zero fucks about the ending, I liked ME3. Just looking out for the little guy over here.

Dr.Nick:
" Every time a journalist defends the ending of Mass Effect it makes them look like an idiot. It ruined one of the best science fiction stories ever.

Really? One of the best science fiction stories EVER? In the entire of history? You must be quite the science fiction aficionado to claim to know what the best science fiction stories ever are, I mean even to be able to name one of the best science fiction stories of all time would make you an absolute master of the medium! Not to mention how you must have overcome all that business about there being no such thing as a "best" anything, because to think that something is "better" is an opinion while claiming that something is "best" would be a fact, but I'm sure you know that representing an opinion as a fact is incredibly short sighted.

Dr.Nick:
Then to make matters worse you have journalists that all seem to be jumping on the band wagon of bashing gamers for this made up thing called "gamer entitlement.".We spend hundred of hours and hundreds dollars on these games. We put huge investment into these games. I think we deserve some say.

So, just to be clear: you are denying the existence of so called "gamer entitlement" while two sentences later claiming that you, as a gamer, have some entitlement? Jesus lord in heaven.

Dr.Nick:
Times have changed with consumer feedback in games just as they have in journalism. We have a direct line of communication with game publishers and developers via electronic means. We can make our voice heard instead of just being a blind crash test dummy who just sits there after a game comes out whether it was good or bad. We can let the developer know whether the made a great game or screwed up and we can do it in force.

Again, you seem to be claiming some entitlement. I mean really, come on now. I really can't be the first one to tell you this, but just in case:

Let the developer know that you didn't enjoy the game (remember, calling it bad is an opinion, you want to state facts!): Great! please do, feedback can only make games better.

Asking that a game you spent money on should be changed because you personally didn't enjoy it: No, don't do that, that's a stupid idea. Games are already an investment, just like films. The reason there are many, many more obscure interesting and "cult" novels out there is because good novels generally cost relatively little to make in comparison to other mediums. Video games, films, T.V shows: all cost a lot of money in today's world. Even Indie games cost a lot more money to make than it does in paper and time for someone to write a book. Point is, since it costs so much more time and effort and equipment to make these things, people require a return of their investment in order to continue not only making these things, but also eating, paying rent and all those other fripperies.

So, the crux: If developers think that the only way to gain back an investment on something is to make it as safe, pandering and familiar as they can, in an attempt to pander to the majority, then we lose what is arguably the best that can be made. People need to know that they can take risks and be prepared to alienate a few people in an attempt to create something interesting and different free from the anger and disgust of those that they may alienate, if they feel that they have to remake everything that they try to take in a different direction because people can force them too, then they won't bother making anything new or interesting at all, will they?

What is often considered to be the many great works of literature will, I would argue, all share one common trait: None of them will be written to make money, all of them will be written because it is the story that the writers wanted to tell. It is certainly possible that the greatest novel of all time COULD be written as a cash in, yet I feel safe betting that it won't be.

Hagi:
I probably don't get it. I'm not actually sure if I do. Either way, it's a bit disappointing.

If I don't get it then well... there's this thing about having to explain your jokes...

I'm pretty sure Grey's was trying to make fun of how these journalists are just in it for the page views and so they make articles that are purposefully inflammatory because they know it will draw people in. The text at the bottom was making fun of people that respond to the threads and giving the website even more money by sending the article to friends and such. They made a similar comic on Alyssa Bereznak.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9103-The-Bastards-Guide-to-Journalism

Landshark1:

Hagi:

I'm pretty sure Grey's was trying to make fun of how these journalists are just in it for the page views and so they make articles that are purposefully inflammatory because they know it will draw people in. The text at the bottom was making fun of people that respond to the threads and giving the website even more money by sending the article to friends and such. They made a similar comic on Alyssa Bereznak.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9103-The-Bastards-Guide-to-Journalism

If I had the ability to like or upvote your comment would get so many of those right now.

Vivi22:

Fawxy:
Wait wait wait wait wait wait...

Why the fuck are people taking this strip seriously? They're obviously poking fun at the whole situation, not just the fans' supposed "entitlement".

Lighten the fuck up, people.

Yeah, I'm not getting it either. The strip was clearly not making fun of fans but making a joke about the possibility of taking advantage of their rage to make more money. I'm not sure why anyone is taking the apparent poke at fans seriously when it's obviously only there to set up the last panel.

I also can't believe I have to explain this because some people don't get it. You can thank me for ruining the joke guys.

I'm just gonna tell you to read the comments on the last couple of Critical Miss Comics. Just read them. It's actually depressing how serious people can take minor things in these comics and totally miss "subtle" hints.

Remember when Jim started making videos? People hated him because of his attitude. One day, Jim makes a video where he flat out states that his "attitude" is a joke and suddenly that same video is crawling with people who totally "got it" despite a suspicious lack of people that seemed to "get it" on previous videos.

Sparrow:
Are you serious? You don't even know my opinion on the subject and you've opened up with "well, your opinion is wrong." You're either a troll or narrow minded. I can't believe you have the audacity to tell me my opinion (which you don't know at this point) is wrong and therefore you must be right based on zero evidence.

Well done for being part of the problem. And for the record? I give zero fucks about the ending, I liked ME3. Just looking out for the little guy over here.

Oh, well hang on a second.

Sparrow:
Gotta' agree with this. Sarcasm or not, this strip reminded me that gaming journalists have handled this horribly. Instead of "let's look at both sides of this" it's devolved into "well, I didn't see anything wrong with the ending so you guys are just entitled asswipes."

Hm, that's odd, that little quote from your earlier post certainly seems like an opinion to me. Not to mention that I didn't even state that your opinion was wrong, I believe that my exact words were "you might be confusing". Doesn't seem to state that you are wrong, just the possibility that you are wrong. Which of course you already know, as a rational human being and all. As for my "audacity" again you seem to be reading what i typed as "could" to be "are". Part of the problem? Well, that's a little judgemental of you, you speak with some certainty on the matter. Almost like the certainty you are mistakenly lambasting me for having. I also don't see the bit where I claim that I am right either, or indeed the bit where I express any opinion whatsoever.

SirBryghtside:
Professional trolling at its finest XD

Writing something controversial and then going "LOLJK" is not trolling.

WanderingFool:

cursedseishi:

WanderingFool:
Heh... geuss thats on par...

Wait! Whats the girl with the crush on Nathan Fillion doing with her fingers outside the comic box!?

OH GOD!!!

*In fetal position*

THE FORTH WALL WILL PROTECT ME!THE FORTH WALL WILL PROTECT ME!THE FORTH WALL WILL PROTECT ME!

Captcha: step over. NOT FUNNY!

Oh, but it was funny for her...

That's why she's giggling right behind you.

You know, after I read this, I chuckled... than turn around to look to see if anything was there...

Then thankfully my job is done! I'm only the messenger for Scary Penny...

I'd watch out for those stray pennies you have laying about, by the way...

j0frenzy:

Landshark1:

Hagi:

If I had the ability to like or upvote your comment would get so many of those right now.

The sad thing is that I'm definitely not the first to explain the comic's point either. If people would read through the other 6 pages before posting then there would probably be a lot less confusion.

I looked at the comic and laughed.

I looked at this thread... ... ... and laughed as I never laughed before.

Way to be the target (victim) group as depicted by this comic, yet be completely oblivious to it simply because of rage of an almost-unrelated thing this comic refers to.

PS: the closest analogy of this comments thread would be political cartoons using Iraq/Iran rather than USSR. Suuuuuurrrrreeee, Uncle Sam threatening with the bomb isn't the focus of the message of THAT cartoon, it is always about those middle east bastards instead.

Edit: It seems better people than me have explained this comic :D

Lyri:

SirBryghtside:

Generating income from people red-faced and raging at that controversial issue, then baiting them onward with newer controversial articles and yet more LOLJK to generate even more income? Trolling at its finest

LetalisK:

Knight Templar:
Subtle, I like it.

By subtle I mean obvious.

It's retardedly obvious. And that makes me worry about some

The thread can't be that...
*looks over thread growth since he went to sleep*
This is worse than the thread for Shamus's latest article.

noobartist1:
Generating income from people red-faced and raging at that controversial issue, then baiting them onward with newer controversial articles and yet more LOLJK to generate even more income? Trolling at its finest

By that token you can call malicious business practices trolling.

To clarify, no I haven't played ME3, no I don't care about the ending, no I don't care about EA. Just before we start to think I'm one of those buttenraged fans.

Metalix Knightmare:

El Dwarfio:
I don't see how your in any which way entitled...

This whole issue is so detrimental to the industry as a whole if people ever want gaming to be considered a serious medium...

So does this mean you'll be joining me in my re-take the Matrix campaign? Or re-take 2001: a space oddessy? I mean that ending just came out of nowhere, and nothing got resolved! Or perhaps re-take the Mona Lisa!

The game was never OURS to begin with! It was Bioware's! There is literally NOTHING for the re-take movement to re-take! If they picked a better name they probably wouldn't be called self entitled so often!

Sorry, I would but I'm too caught up in my Re-Take the Human Body campaign.

I don't give a shit if you believe in Darwin, God or both, I deserve four arms, x-ray vision and the ability to breath fire.

This shitty body I was born in is a breach of my consumer rights.

lacktheknack:

Doctor Glocktor:
Less 'funny' and more 'absolutely condescending'.

Christ.

You realize he wasn't targeting you, right?

You realize it doesn't stop it from absolutely condescending, right?

Doctor Glocktor:

lacktheknack:

Doctor Glocktor:
Less 'funny' and more 'absolutely condescending'.

Christ.

You realize he wasn't targeting you, right?

You realize it doesn't stop it from absolutely condescending, right?

Um... I suppose it's still condescending, but that's what makes it a Take That to game journalist sites...

Immsys:

Sparrow:

Oh, well hang on a second.

Sparrow:
Gotta' agree with this. Sarcasm or not, this strip reminded me that gaming journalists have handled this horribly. Instead of "let's look at both sides of this" it's devolved into "well, I didn't see anything wrong with the ending so you guys are just entitled asswipes."

Hm, that's odd, that little quote from your earlier post certainly seems like an opinion to me. Not to mention that I didn't even state that your opinion was wrong, I believe that my exact words were "you might be confusing". Doesn't seem to state that you are wrong, just the possibility that you are wrong. Which of course you already know, as a rational human being and all. As for my "audacity" again you seem to be reading what i typed as "could" to be "are". Part of the problem? Well, that's a little judgemental of you, you speak with some certainty on the matter. Almost like the certainty you are mistakenly lambasting me for having. I also don't see the bit where I claim that I am right either, or indeed the bit where I express any opinion whatsoever.

Stop speaking in circles. You downright accused me of having an opinion that is not my own then started to tell me why that opinion was wrong. You also remain ignorant to the fact that there are two sides to the story.

Are you seriously trying to say that I shouldn't support those who don't have a positive voice in the media they attribute themselves to? Gamers who dislike the ending and want a new one are being shovelled into a corner with those who demand an ending. They are not the same. My point was that these people are being treated like shit, not that I am being treated like shit. There are two sides to this story, and within those two sides there are another two sides and so on. I just want to represent those who are being ignored for having an opinion that the gaming media is so set against hating, is that so wrong?

I'm offended, there is a white shirt there in that box.
There are only three shirts, blue, green and red.

The ending wasn't so bad.
Oh, and if EA is reading this, I'm still waiting for that cheque in the mail.
Am I doing it right?

Lyri:

SirBryghtside:

What is the controversial message of the strip?

Wow, we didn't even manage to get to the 10nth post. No matter how much the "fans" might be in the right some of them aren't doing their cause any service with their posts.

I really enjoyed this strip. Even more: I enjoyed the reaction. What started out as a polemic debate has morphed into a broader, quasi-political movement, which has shifted focus away from the merits of Bioware's work and moved into the wider realm of gaming media, with ME3 being used as the vehicle.

It's absolutely obvious many posters haven't taken the time to consider the message and instead, have jumped to shoot the messenger (so to speak). The entire debate has descended into farce because people on both sides --for lack of a better term-- have been so entrenched in their arguments that they've become incapable of objective and constructive analysis.

Mass Effect has simultaneously brought out the best and the worst of fans; it has also arguably signaled a shift in the prominence of gaming to more mainstream media/news outlets. Not entirely for the better, mind you.

I... have an increasing desire to purchase a shirt that says "SO MAD" on it.
But really the comic was funny.

Bigeyez:

Teresa Lass:

trollpwner:

Yeah, but the joke in this is squarely aimed at the people who deliberately stir up trouble to gain money... I'm not sure what it means if you consider yourself to be the 'victim' of the joke.

Well its aimed for moking the retake movement, in one way or another. So i guess as part of the movement i cant laugh at the joke.
While i dont consider myself victimized, in all and all its just a couple of ppl making a joke of already old news.

Again tho, cant laugh.

t

So you didn't get it at all then. They AREN'T making fun of the retake movement in this comic.

Okkkkk
before we continue this, click on the comic page --previous-- and read it.
Still thinking they are not making fun of the movement?

I was mad the first time I read this, but had to go to work. Then I came home, read it again, realized who said the last line, and then facepalmed so hard that I almost broke my neck. I should've paid more attention. This whole Mass Effect thing has me so on edge that I can't even take a joke anymore. Says more about me than anything else, I guess. Chilling out now...where can I buy that shirt?

Point: Good comic, but I get the feeling those new to the series would have taken it too literally, assuming they didn't start from the first Critical Miss comic and learn that the blonde haired woman is really...well, an obscene word.

Now I'm going to go bash my head into the wall for how much I overreacted to this comic. xP Sorry.

I don't recall those crybabies being so adorable. :3

Generally speaking, I'm just tired of the whole affair. I was pissed too, once, but I've long since cooled down. Now, whenever the issue comes up, all I can think is "get over it already."

Captcha: "labour of love" NOW DON'T YOU START!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here