No Right Answer: Worst Transition from Animation to Live-Action

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Worst Transition from Animation to Live-Action

Your friendly neighborhood debaters love animation, and are saddened by the terrible live-action counterparts.

Watch Video

As soon as I saw the title I knew what films they would discuss! I'm glad I haven't seen either film.

I've only seen DBZ:Evolution since it was on TV with nothing else so that's the only one I can take. Only Avatar I've seen was Rifftrax highlights.

Surprise no one brought up Super Mario Bros. It was an Animated series, don't know if it was based off that one but it sure as shit wasn't based off the games.

Firefilm:

Your friendly neighborhood debaters love animation, and are saddened by the terrible live-action counterparts.

Watch Video

But Chris won...why is the Last Airbender the winner?

And now FX is taunting me by showing DB: Evolution

I never saw Avatar, so I can't really comment.

But DB Evolution was just terrible :D

It's like they spent 20 quid on the actual film, then the rest of the budget on cocaine.

You could tell from the trailers that DBZ Evolution was going to be hilariously bad.
The only part of Avatar the Last Air Bender I could ever stand to watch again would be the intro.

artanis_neravar:

Firefilm:

Watch Video

WHAT A TWIST!

hopefully the sequel to avatar will be better since the same people made it. staying hopeful until 14th April.

Qitz:

Surprise no one brought up Super Mario Bros. It was an Animated series, don't know if it was based off that one but it sure as shit wasn't based off the games.

they already brought that up during the "worst videogame turned into a live action movie"

I saw the title and the thumb nail and knew instantly you were going to discuss Evolution.
I have to agree its the worst live action adaptation I've ever seen.

-edit-
The "What a twist!" at the end had me laughing pretty hard

TheFederation:
hopefully the sequel to avatar will be better since the same people made it. staying hopeful until 14th April.

You mean Legend of Korra? As a promotional thing a few weeks ago, Nickelodeon released the first 2 episodes temporarily, and I have to say, it's good. Not as good as the original series was at its height, but the original show started really slow too, and this looks like it's going interesting places.

Chris, you're totally right. That flying Kamehameha part totally baffles the mind. But seriously, how can they mess up the origin story that badly? Goku never went to high school and he ended up killing his grandpa. It's not that hard to get right, even if you've only watched the first few episodes.

Hell, they could have done a more in-depth trilogy using three of the major story arcs of the original Dragon Ball. The first movie could have been Goku and friends fighting against Emperor Pilaf, the second movie could have shifted the focus to the Red Ribbon Army, and the third movie could focus on Goku facing off against Piccolo. And, if done right, it could have made them much more money than Evolution did.

Ah, The Last Airbender. The only movie to date that has managed to induce true incoherent rage in me.

The only good thing to come out of that abomination is that one hilarious gif wit the dancing earthbenders and the tiny pebble.

Well, at least Legend of Korra is just as awesome as the original series.

Firefilm:

Watch Video

Live action counterparts to animation should never be made EVER.

Well, I will go so far as to say that "The Last Airbender" at least had some very nice FX and some decent choreography at times. If you had to argue this in reverse and instead of saying "which sucks more" started argueing which movie is better, and had more redeeming qualities, "The Last Airbender" would win, and thus deserves the victory here for sucking less. As the debate points out, in DBZ's movie, they blow the whole deal with the hero using his trademark power/yell out. Even the Green Lantern movie got the basic oath right (which is part of the awesome of Green Lantern for the fans), and this just failed utterly. When the guys do their trademark moves and bend elements in "The Last Airbender" it at least looks pretty good in most cases, maybe not exactly as you'd envision it would look in real life from the cartoon, but still some reasonably solid FX and you can't say that they didn't do the powers that defined the characters too badly even if everything else was... lacking. I think part of "The Last Airbender"'s problem was simply that they decided to put all their money into FX and carry it as an FX movie, and spent very little time on the characters or actual storyline. The biggest fail of the movie was that it was intended to be part of a trilogy, I could see a mess if they were trying to force the entire series into a two hour block, but when they want 3 movies to begin with and plan for it, there was no excuse for it. I mean they did "Lord Of the Rings" with 3 movies and no offense, that had a lot more going on and more fans than "The Last Airbender".

Last Airbender seemed to me to be the clear winner, mostly due to the things said after the credits. Dragonball was pretty bad though.

"Kamehameha."

"Kamehameha."

"You said it wrong."

"With a twist!"

Funny as hell! Great job!

I noticed Kyle's Sons of Anarchy shirt, such a good show.

So Next week, best unfulfilled Lesbian Romance in television.

Xena and Gabrielle? or Kathryn Janeway and Seven of Nine?

Sorry Kyle but I got to ask, did you honestly expect the Last Airbender film top contain ALL THREE SEASONS. I mean from what I read the film itself was a very rush version of the first season so it's impossible to fit in the other two seasons into it!
Either way I don't care the outcome since they were both equally bad in their own right, well I guess the lesser or two awfulness.

The one good thing that can be said about DBZ Evolution is that it is at least so bad you can laugh at it. With the Last Airbender, I can't even muster up the desire to do that.

Well, I think DBZ was worse. At least Airbender stuck to the original plot, even if it was impossible to contain all 3 books in one movie.

I would have thought that Inspector Gadget would be on here. That was also a terrible film.

artanis_neravar:

Firefilm:

Watch Video

It was just like an M. Night Shyamalan twist ending; No one was happy, it felt shoehorned in, and inexplicably we keep getting work!

shintakie10:
The one good thing that can be said about DBZ Evolution is that it is at least so bad you can laugh at it. With the Last Airbender, I can't even muster up the desire to do that.

Agreed, atleast with that I could atleast laugh at how bloody awful it is. But with the Last Airbender I couldn't even laugh at the clips posted on youtube, hell even a "Best of" it with Rifftrax was painful to watch. D:

Now this one is actually very close... it's hard for me to decide which was buggered up more in that transition to live-action.

Hadn't seen the series (okay a few eps of DB) before I saw the movies. So, as movies, DBE was far better than TLA... because TLA sucked the Dragon Ballz! (What? No-one made that joke? Seriously? Sigh...) Anyway, yes, as the winner Chris... no, Kyle, no wait... actually, as Dan said, TLA is just a bad movie, never mind translation. And that is the true meaning of Christmas!

The Last Airbender aLthough the dialogs and characters were pretty bad, the plot and art direction was pretty close to the series.

I think the problem is that the director tried to cram too much stuff into the movie, maybe as fan service, but forgot to create likable characters.

Soviet Heavy:
I would have thought that Inspector Gadget would be on here. That was also a terrible film.

Oh, gods, I'd forgotten about that. 'Scuse me, I have to get a hammer to try forget it again.

the last airbender is indeed A BIG FAT TURD. they should have never made that movie in the first place... thank go i never have to watch it again, cos it was eye and ear rape... just thinking about it makes me feel like i am being violated... as for dragonball... cant say... never watched the anime or read the manga

ritchards:
Hadn't seen the series (okay a few eps of DB) before I saw the movies. So, as movies, DBE was far better than TLA... because TLA sucked the Dragon Ballz! (What? No-one made that joke? Seriously? Sigh...) Anyway, yes, as the winner Chris... no, Kyle, no wait... actually, as Dan said, TLA is just a bad movie, never mind translation. And that is the true meaning of Christmas!

What a twist!

Anyone else think Hugh Jackman has been typecast into a single role? Wolverine. Just like Mark Hammil and Luke Skywalker? Because I just can't picture the guy playing anything else... And Hammil ended up becoming a brilliant voice actor, but live action? He's Skywalker.

My vote, TLA was MUCH MUCH worse.

With TLA they atleist tried to bring the cartoon to life... The idgits who made DBE didn't give ANY thought to source material or the fan base; They just didn't care.

I STILL think that "Viva Rock Vegas" was the worse...

Since when is Barney taller than Fred!?

TheFederation:

Oh thank god, you scared me, I thought you were saying the live action one had been green lit for a sequel. I was about to tear my hair out...

Y'Konow, as bad as these are, in a world of Scooby Doo, Chipmunk and Garfield movies, how did they make the debate? Bad and boring sure, but at least they didn't lower my IQ several points.

misterprickly:
I STILL think that "Viva Rock Vegas" was the worse...

Probably disqualified because too many people on this site weren't born yet when that abortion of a movie dropped or aren't old enough to remember it.

Also to me 'The Last Airbender' is a bigger disappointment *putting on hopefully unnecessary flame retardant clothing* because it was working with much better source material that, as mentioned, was perfectly laid out for a trilogy.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here