No Right Answer: Worst Transition from Animation to Live-Action

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

misterprickly:
With TLA they atleist tried to bring the cartoon to life... The idgits who made DBE didn't give ANY thought to source material or the fan base; They just didn't care.

I STILL think that "Viva Rock Vegas" was the worse...

Since when is Barney taller than Fred!?

That may count more as a terrible sequel. Also, you have to take the original cartoon into it. Flintstones, while classic, isn't really a masterwork. Dragon Ball too, is a rather silly anime. The Last Airbender cartoon was a work of art, which makes it all the worse.

As freakishly, horrifyingly terrible as TLA was, I could have forgiven so much of the terribleness for just one tiny thing. One small, despair-filled wail of, "MY CABBAGES!!!" from M. Night. It's the perfect cameo role. I could forgive the rape of the ending, the white washed characters, the reworking of the entire concept of fire-bending, the horrible casting, the not saying anyone's name right, nearly all of it...for that one little thing.

<<<<Still heartbroken Avatard.

TheFederation:
hopefully the sequel to avatar will be better since the same people made it. staying hopeful until 14th April.

You can not only watch the first two episodes, you can download them in HD for free from iTunes.

I wasn't waiting for a live adaptation of DBZ or Airbender. TV cartoon series NEVER translate to live action very well. NEVER.

Dan chiming in "What a twist!" at the end had me laughing pretty damn hard.

The Last Airbender was terrible, I tried watching the Rifftrax version of it and I still felt like drinking the memories away.

agreed both movies discussed are terrible. so was speed racer a trump card no one wanted to play?

misterprickly:
With TLA they atleist tried to bring the cartoon to life... The idgits who made DBE didn't give ANY thought to source material or the fan base; They just didn't care.

I STILL think that "Viva Rock Vegas" was the worse...

Since when is Barney taller than Fred!?

Out of all the things to be angry at with this movie, that is what you are angry with.

Really?

REALLY?

I own DB: Evolution on DVD.

Worst. Purchase. Ever.

The worst thing about the Avatar movie was that it marred public's view of an animated masterpiece. Avatar: The Last Airbender, as far as I'm concerned, is like a modern day epic akin to the Odyssey or The Journey to the West, but in kid cartoon form.

Avatar was one of the greatest stories ever told to a kid while the movie shat on the source material and probably turned most people off from it.

I love Avatar: TLA with a fiery passion, especially after watching watching the entire series with my siblings over it's entire tv run (This was back in middle school when all I thought the internet could do was play runescape). With that said, I've never seen the movie, and I'm eternally glad that my experience with the show has never been soured by the "M. Night Shyamalan Incident."

Edit for forgetting the topic XD But still, can Super Mario Brothers count? It had a show at a time

JPArbiter:
So Next week, best unfulfilled Lesbian Romance in television.

Xena and Gabrielle? or Kathryn Janeway and Seven of Nine?

Suddenly, Rizzoli and Isles?

TLS14:
Chris, you're totally right. That flying Kamehameha part totally baffles the mind. But seriously, how can they mess up the origin story that badly? Goku never went to high school and he ended up killing his grandpa. It's not that hard to get right, even if you've only watched the first few episodes.

Hell, they could have done a more in-depth trilogy using three of the major story arcs of the original Dragon Ball. The first movie could have been Goku and friends fighting against Emperor Pilaf, the second movie could have shifted the focus to the Red Ribbon Army, and the third movie could focus on Goku facing off against Piccolo. And, if done right, it could have made them much more money than Evolution did.

I think the bigger concerns here are "Why is Goku a teenager?" and "Why did the costume make-up think that wearing lots of eye-liner makes him look Asian?".

But yeah, it's not a origin story that would be too hard to adapt. First part would be the group meeting up, second part training with Master Roshi and Pilaf showing up, third part in his castle and defeating him.

Not hard, right?

ok really HOW drunk was chris for that epiosode??? awesome u guys should have more arguments when BOTH of u are 100% sloshed
got team mumble and sutff

I knew well enough to stay away from Avatar since I knew it would be a huge turd. Curiosity got the best of me with Dragonball and WOW was it bad.

ThePS1Fan:
I own DB: Evolution on DVD.

Worst. Purchase. Ever.

... WHY?

While there is "No Right Answer"...

this will forever be the worst for me...

I loved the anime so for this...

Wash away the unclean...

Did I miss the part where the words "Winner" on chris's side meant he lost?

i think yogi bear is much much worse. Its so bad no one thinks about it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1302067/

I personaly always hated the fact that they made a live action death note.....I...Im going to go cry in a corner now..

TheFederation:
hopefully the sequel to avatar will be better since the same people made it. staying hopeful until 14th April.

They posted the first couple episodes online and they're floating around. Amazing! Not only a great expansion of the world etc, but a great show (so far) on its own merits. Unlike the movie that fails as an adaptation and on its own merits.

I think the lesson we should learn from these two movies is the following. Throw a middling amount of money to a director, like in the tens of millions, and even if your film flops it can still be fun to watch. Throw a shitton of money into a movie and if it doesn't rule (see: if it's directed by a moron) then it's a complete waste of time.

Scarim Coral:
Sorry Kyle but I got to ask, did you honestly expect the Last Airbender film top contain ALL THREE SEASONS. I mean from what I read the film itself was a very rush version of the first season so it's impossible to fit in the other two seasons into it!
Either way I don't care the outcome since they were both equally bad in their own right, well I guess the lesser or two awfulness.

You missed the part where Kyle said that they were going to make 3 movies, one for each season... except no-one turned up to the first one.

They did exactly what you said, and that's also what Kyle said.

There's one bad argument for DBE that hasn't been mentioned yet.....

Master Roshi's 'Khame-Hame-CPR' to bring Goku back! WTF?

saviorindeath:
I personaly always hated the fact that they made a live action death note.....I...Im going to go cry in a corner now..

The movies were good, far from the manga and anime quality, but still good.

OK, honestly? Last Airbender wasn't that bad a movie. I mean I get that people complain about all kinds of stuff (spontaneous fire-bending, white-washing, etc) but that movie was still NOT a disappointment on so many levels. Hell, that movie is the whole reason I got interested in the TV series in the first place.

People can hate on it all they like, but in the end its only crime was to fail to live up to peoples' expectations (and nowhere near as badly as, say, Phantom Menace).

(EDIT: Also, look at Aang - he was everything that young Anikin wasn't - collected, convincing and something resembling respectful of the source material)

Anoni Mus:

saviorindeath:

The movies were good, far from the manga and anime quality, but still good.

The thing the movies had going for them was that they're short enough to watch a second time. I'll never watch the series ever again, even though it was great - too much of the interest rides on the constant tension over who will win. Once you lose that there's nothing holding you there.

The movies at least are short enough to bring out from time to time (say, to show to a friend) and with the added bonus that the played around with the ending enough that there are still some surprises.

Also, I've still never seen anything more terrifying and evocative than live-action L eating a potato chip.

DB: Evolution was so bad it was funny... The last airbender was just bad.

Daystar Clarion:
I never saw Avatar, so I can't really comment.

But DB Evolution was just terrible :D

It's like they spent 20 quid on the actual film, then the rest of the budget on cocaine.

See if they'd bought the cocaine first we might have had a good movie.

Debate and title are misleading :P

commasplice:

holy jebus dude that is some kind of funny i can't explain! Roflmao XD

Well, Dragonball Evolution was much worse, I have to admit. Like they said, at least Avatar tried to stay true to the plot. Sure, the script for Avatar looked a little like this:

Aang: I'm alive!
Katara: I HOPE FOR STUFF!
Sokka: The Fire Nation is evil!
Aang: I'm saving the world!
Katara:Good thing we're with the Southern Water Tribe now.
Suko: I HATE THE AVATAR!
Aang: I'm powerful now.
Sokka: I will always love you!

All in the same scene. Really, that's what drove me crazy. it's like they knew they only had so much time to explain the entire plot so they rushed through it...in the same scene! Well, not literally, but you get it.
At any rate, when I first watched it, I thought it was...okay. Yeah, Iroh was mispronounced, Suko looked nothing like Suko...*sigh* Yeah, it was alright, I guess.

Now, Dragonball was something else.
No spiky hair for Goku. When has Goku NOT had spiky hair?
Milk joins them. This never happens. She only tags along at the end of Dragon Ball (With Goku only) and when they're kids.
Roshi, Bulma, Yamcha and the rest don't look nothing like their counterparts. No need to explain that.
Mai. WHO'S MAI?! Why is she a doppelganger?
Roshi never dies. For that matter, neither does Piccolo.
Goku was never a romantic of any sort. He never got the hint. It's a miracle he was able to reproduce.
Where's Krillin? He's like Goku's sidekick. HE should be the one dying.
Resurrecting Kamehameha? What is this? I don't even.

I could go on, but you get it. Dragonball just took the names of the characters, the dragon balls and ran off to make some other plot. Not cool, man. Not cool.

And that kamehameha reminded me of My Little Pony, what with the flying punch and stuff.

Beautiful End:

Mai was meant to be: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Mai
Who was emperor pilaf's flunky in the show. As with every character in DBE she's different to what she was in the series...

------
I actually disagree with the people saying DBE should have been about the start of dragonball, and that the red ribbon army and piccolo should have been part of two sequals.

I think the king piccolo saga was a good place to start, they just did it fairly terribly thats all.

------
And i actually think all in all the avatar movie wasn't as bad as people make out. It was fairly awful in some respects, but it's biggest problem lay more in it trying to cover too much. The story was just to big to fit well into the movie.

I however thought the change they made to fire benders was actually pretty good (them not being able to create fire, only manipulate it), cause that then explained really well why the commet was so important. (and cause i always thought fire benders being able to generate their own fire was kinda hax. all the other benders need to have access to their element, why do fire benders get a free pass? XD)

Some_weirdGuy:

Beautiful End:

Mai was meant to be: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Mai
Who was emperor pilaf's flunky in the show. As with every character in DBE she's different to what she was in the series...

Ohhhh...THAT Mai.

...It still doesn't make sense that she's a doppelganger. I guess its because movies. :l

saviorindeath:

Someone's probably already pointed this out (in fact I think I did in a different thread), but the Death Note live-action films weren't bad. Death Note held your interest with the tension over who would win and who would die. Once you know, the series just isn't that interesting to watch, past the first episode or two.

They played around with the ending a little so it manages to keep a few surprises, plus they gave Light a girlfriend to play the more humane side which comes out more rarely in the series. Other than that, it's really not a bad conversion.

Also, if you thought Light eating a potato chip was scary, L doing it is just plain creepy.

EDIT Oh God, not only did I already reply, but I replied to a quote of your quote...

"What a twist!"

Damn it, Dan. Stop trying to make the episode reach critical funny levels. Bad things happen when critical funny is reached. Like hospitalization for split sides, and short-circuited keyboards from pop spray.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here