Trailers: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Kinect Trailer

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Kinect Trailer

Use your voice instead of fiddling with all of those pesky buttons.

Watch Video

This is cool, when is it coming out? And when will they put a patch to fix quest that either didn't complete properly, or were done before the quest was given?

So do you only use voice commands with kinect, no swinging swords with you're actual hands?

This is just dumb, I don't want to shout at the tv then hear my character yell it again. And talking to your follower with "Ally, attack" sounds like you're talking to a robot, not a companion.

And why couldn't this just be basic functionality for the xbox headset? I don't want to spend 200 dollars on a glorified microphone, screw that.

Suppose it's another neat way to justify owning a Kinect to those that do, not gonna knock a free and fairly nifty feature.

GeneralTwinkle:
This is just dumb, I don't want to shout at the tv then hear my character yell it again. And talking to your follower with "Ally, attack" sounds like you're talking to a robot, not a companion.

And why couldn't this just be basic functionality for the xbox headset? I don't want to spend 200 dollars on a glorified microphone, screw that.

I was also wondering why this would be a kinect function anyway.

Couldn't this be integrated into all platforms as mic functions? Why limit it only to kinect?

GeneralTwinkle:

My thoughts exactly. Voice commands using headset have existed for a while already, surely this should be able to work without Kinect. (My guess is that Microsoft are just hoping people forget the headset exists so they have an excuse to sell Kinect as a voice-recognition tool)

For that matter, why aren't all the voice recognition features of Kinect available to simple headset users?

it already exists on pc, someone made a mod for it.

The Kinect has dedicated hardware and readily integrated software for voice recognition, making this kind of thing easier to do for it than trying to get it to work on cheap headset microphones and third-party VAC software.

Wow really bethesda, really? No one is playing skyrim anymore anyway

I must say if you can speak English so that it undestands what you say, its good tool for fast action. But I must say that it is odd that it's only on kinectic...

Hey, how about fixing game BUGS instead of adding on worthless voice commands mmmk?

Stilt:
No one is playing skyrim anymore anyway

Probably the most idiotic comment I have ever heard this year. Congratulations, this was no easy feat.

Eridani74:
The Kinect has dedicated hardware and readily integrated software for voice recognition, making this kind of thing easier to do for it than trying to get it to work on cheap headset microphones and third-party VAC software.

While the quality may be somewhat better than the headset mic, other games have shown that it can be done (look at Endwar, which was released almost three years ago -- sure it was basic but it pretty much got the job done). And Windows itself has had relatively decent voice recognition software built in since the halcyon days of XP, which is usable with mics of even lower quality than the one supplied with the Xbox.
It would just be a question of Microsoft updating the firmware so that the bit of software the console uses for Kinect capabilities can take headset input for VR as well (as I understand it all the actual voice processing gets done by the console itself anyway, the only "dedicated hardware" Kinect has for this is the microphone array)

CAPTCHA: "harp on". How apt.

Im not going to lie....that looks awesome!

If I had a Kinect, I'd totally be yelling FUS RO DAH at the top of my lungs.

Ralen-Sharr:

GeneralTwinkle:

I was also wondering why this would be a kinect function anyway.

Couldn't this be integrated into all platforms as mic functions? Why limit it only to kinect?

Monies

No other real reason tbh, this is just microsoft trying their hardest to milk all the money you have.

GeneralTwinkle:

Good News: YOU DONT HAVE TO, People need to stop whineing, This is a rear instance when kinect actually makes a game better, especially with followers, I hate being in a dungeon where you suddenly come across a ceiling trap, you have to talk to your follower, tell them to wait, run across to the other side, turn off the trap, run back across to the start again and finally tell them to follow. Is this a good enough reason to buy kinect? No. Will this improve the game and make fiddly things you have to do quicker? Yes. Do you have to use this if you dont want to? Hell no.

The one reason to buy a kinect: quicksave and quickload, on a console, in Skyrim.

Hunter65416:

GeneralTwinkle:

Good News: YOU DONT HAVE TO, People need to stop whineing, This is a rear instance when kinect actually makes a game better, especially with followers, I hate being in a dungeon where you suddenly come across a ceiling trap, you have to talk to your follower, tell them to wait, run across to the other side, turn off the trap, run back across to the start again and finally tell them to follow. Is this a good enough reason to buy kinect? No. Will this improve the game and make fiddly things you have to do quicker? Yes. Do you have to use this if you dont want to? Hell no.

What about the crazy money grabbing? This is just obnoxious, forcing you to spend 200 dollars so you can shout at your tv. It's not so much the feature, even though I think they could've done something more interesting. It's just the ridiculous pushing of kinect kinect, kinect, trying to make you spend all your money. This could be done with the xbox headset, they did it for End war, and that was ages ago.

And even then, I'm sure they could find some better way to implement kinect more then just a microphone.

Jove:

Stilt:

Probably the most idiotic comment I have ever heard this year. Congratulations, this was no easy feat.

Are you really? You must be on the slow grind, i got sick of that game after about 30 hours

I don't understand... PCs have all the headset/phone functions, how come this feature can't be integrated to PC?
I WANT TO SAY FUS-RO-DAH!~ damn!

GeneralTwinkle:

Hunter65416:

GeneralTwinkle:

What about the crazy money grabbing? This is just obnoxious, forcing you to spend 200 dollars so you can shout at your tv. It's not so much the feature, even though I think they could've done something more interesting. It's just the ridiculous pushing of kinect kinect, kinect, trying to make you spend all your money. This could be done with the xbox headset, they did it for End war, and that was ages ago.

And even then, I'm sure they could find some better way to implement kinect more then just a microphone.

Zenimax/Bethesda dont have any stake in the kinect, No matter how many kinect owners hook up their kinect with skyrim bethesda wont make a cent, With a generic mic (especially most of the xbox branded ones) the quality is absoloute garbage and would show up the feature badly, it'd likley work fine with high quality mics but some people are stupid and will immediatly get on the internet and go "wahhhh bethesda why no speech work properly". with the kinect they have some form of standard and they can optimize much more efficntly, all normal headsets will give the xbox slightly differant feedback depending on the brand and they cant optimize for everything

Hunter65416:

GeneralTwinkle:

Hunter65416:

Zenimax/Bethesda dont have any stake in the kinect, No matter how many kinect owners hook up their kinect with skyrim bethesda wont make a cent, With a generic mic (especially most of the xbox branded ones) the quality is absoloute garbage and would show up the feature badly, it'd likley work fine with high quality mics but some people are stupid and will immediatly get on the internet and go "wahhhh bethesda why no speech work properly". with the kinect they have some form of standard and they can optimize much more efficntly, all normal headsets will give the xbox slightly differant feedback depending on the brand and they cant optimize for everything

I don't recall that happening with end war, that worked pretty well. It was just with normal headsets, no 200$ rip off.

GeneralTwinkle:

Hunter65416:

GeneralTwinkle:

I don't recall that happening with end war, that worked pretty well. It was just with normal headsets, no 200$ rip off.

It can be done but not as easily as it can be with just one standard mic, also MS probably wouldnt want people doing that because firstly they want people to buy the kinect and secondly because people use their mic to talk with other people either in or out of game.. so your somewhat right about the cash-grabbing thing but its not really about bethesda, either way its a great feature if you have a kinect and your not really missing out on much if you dont

Stilt:

Jove:

Stilt:

Are you really? You must be on the slow grind, i got sick of that game after about 30 hours

I've played 150 hours so far, and I'm *still* not done with it. To each his own, Stilt, some of us are still playing and actually enjoying it, believe it or not.

I have to admit, there's a certain appeal to shouting "FUS RO DAH" to your screen...

so we're spending 150 on what is now basicly a mike? I don't really think this is worth it.

Hunter65416:

GeneralTwinkle:

Hunter65416:

It can be done but not as easily as it can be with just one standard mic, also MS probably wouldnt want people doing that because firstly they want people to buy the kinect

Oh come on, they'd be able to do it easily. And doesn't them cutting of features for everyone else annoy you at all?

and secondly because people use their mic to talk with other people either in or out of game.. so your somewhat right about the cash-grabbing thing

It's nothing but a cash grabbing thing, there's nothing else to it

but its not really about bethesda, either way its a great feature if you have a kinect and your not really missing out on much if you dont

Yeah, a great feature, I get to shout at my tv. Sometimes it would help, but companions can generally tank the traps they set off, shouts are not used very often and if they are there's often one you switch to, and pressing LB is a lot quicker then saying it out loud.
And since when was it about bethesda? It's microsoft that are doing everything they can to sell kinect. Mass effect 3 was the same way. "The kinect lets me respond quickly". Is saying "Submachine gun!" faster, or is pressing Y?

It's this BS obnoxious moneygrabbing for stuff that's not innovative, not very helpful or immersive at all, could be done on a normal xbox headset, and indeed has before, but microsoft will no longer do that because they can milk you for 200 dollars instead.

I don't think anyone would want to spend 200 dollars to shout at their tv, but because microsoft wants more money they're shoving the kinect in your face yelling "BUY ME!"

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here