Daisy

Daisy

Hollywood's not the only industry that can rip off the classics.

Read Full Article

I'd play that. xD

This was a great read and once I got to the end I could only smile at the fact that I didn't even realize the references until the end. xD

Simply fantastic!

Sorry, bro, you got scooped.

http://greatgatsbygame.com/

But if Daisy is a gun, how will she drive Jay's car? Pretty good though, now do Huck Finn, The Wizard of Oz (That one has actual potential having just seen The Way, yeah I'm an arthouse hipster) and try out Pilgrim's Progress... Oh wait Deus Ex.

weirdguy:
Sorry, bro, you got scooped.

http://greatgatsbygame.com/

You made my day. Thank you.

Incredible. You should approach EA--they've started a trend of turning books into terrible games. They would love this pitch.

Mur Lafferty:
Daisy

Hollywood's not the only industry that can rip off the classics.

Read Full Article

Hungry, Hungry Hippos: The head of a street gang known as the Hippos (hey, they're actually pretty badass animals) dies, leaving a power vacuum to be filled by out of his four lieutenants. In anticipation of his death, he distributes the gangs drug supply throughout the city in hollowed-out cue balls. The rules of succession are clear: the man who collects the most of the balls will seize power, while the rest are left to starve (metaphorically speaking. In actuality, they'll be killed.)

Connect Four: The Apocalypse has begun, and the forces of Heaven and Hell are racing to find, recruit, and unite their respective Four Horsemen. The Horsemen of Hell: Death, Famine, Pestilence, and War. The horsemen of Heaven: Life, Peace, Plenty, and Health. The first side to unite its four Horsemen will have the power to win Armageddon.

Oh man, as soon as you mentioned seeing the green laser scope across the lake, I knew for a fact you were basing this on the Great Gatsby. My English class actually just finished reading it a while back. As interesting as the loose game adaptation sounds, actually branding it with the Great Gatsby name would make me cringe, especially when the movie of the game would roll around.

Dastardly:

Connect Four: The Apocalypse has begun, and the forces of Heaven and Hell are racing to find, recruit, and unite their respective Four Horsemen. The Horsemen of Hell: Death, Famine, Pestilence, and War. The horsemen of Heaven: Life, Peace, Plenty, and Health. The first side to unite its four Horsemen will have the power to win Armageddon.

Damn, minus the Connect Four bit, that actually sounds like it could be pretty cool.

Hah! Recognized the book before they dropped the name.

Wait... the book sucked, so that's not much to be proud of. >_<

Completely agree on point "why does it have to be named Battleship?". Would we know it's connected to the board game without it? Seriously doubt it.
The name actually will only bring trouble, not only does it sound lame when somebody says that the name comes from that game, but instead of having an original IP, and thus probably more personality, they have to pay everything extra for the rights (from the movie to let's say a pc game etc.).
Much wiser would be to go opposite what Bay has done with Transformers - take something very blend about people in the Navy and turn it into a cartoon and toys about aliens and alien battleships or something.

I actually didn't understand what was happening in Daisy, guess that's why I haven't read Great Gatsby.

Dastardly:
Hungry, Hungry Hippos: The head of a street gang known as the Hippos (hey, they're actually pretty badass animals) dies, leaving a power vacuum to be filled by out of his four lieutenants. In anticipation of his death, he distributes the gangs drug supply throughout the city in hollowed-out cue balls. The rules of succession are clear: the man who collects the most of the balls will seize power, while the rest are left to starve (metaphorically speaking. In actuality, they'll be killed.)

These ideas could be awesome or lame, but as just an outline, I'd watch those movies.

Moontouched-Moogle:
Damn, minus the Connect Four bit, that actually sounds like it could be pretty cool.

anian:
These ideas could be awesome or lame, but as just an outline, I'd watch those movies.

If ya like that, I've got another for you:

A group of kids cheat death by avoiding a disaster. Now Death, in an effort to balance the books, has set out to reclaim them through a series of elaborate Rube-Goldberg-style traps. It's Mousetrap.

Dastardly:

If ya like that, I've got another for you:

A group of kids cheat death by avoiding a disaster. Now Death, in an effort to balance the books, has set out to reclaim them through a series of elaborate Rube-Goldberg-style traps. It's Mousetrap.

...isn't that Final destination? But like I said, it can go either way, or in fd case, too many times.

I want to comment about that little game at the end, but all I'm thinking about is,

"If they're making a movie on Yahtzee, I don't care how bad of an actor he is in real life, the Yahtzee from our very own Escapist Magazine needs to be the lead character."

octafish:
But if Daisy is a gun, how will she drive Jay's car?

Yes, and however will she cry over Jay's many, many nice shirts?

I'd say make a movie about Monopoly, but sonovabitch, the real world ninja'd me. Dammit.

So, is this the next logical step?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/m6WCZ3cZ27U

I shat my pants.
Need to read Gatsby

This summer, Tyler Perry does it again! He's Mr. Bucket -- and you won't believe what comes out of his mouth!

OK, now make movie adaptation of Tetris and Rubik's cube
I dare you!!!

blackrave:
I dare you!!!

Too late:

Flatfrog:

blackrave:
I dare you!!!

Too late:

haha thats awesome

Personally.. even the modernized description was tedious and boring to me personally.

Flatfrog:

blackrave:
I dare you!!!

Too late:

O_O

And now that I thought, movie Cube is loosely based on Rubik's cube :)

blackrave:

And now that I thought, movie Cube is loosely based on Rubik's cube :)

Good call! That's a fantastic film.

wow, a use for year 11 lit, if only to get a random reference on a gaming website. didn't see that coming.

interesting sounding game though, and would make a rather dreary book considerably more interesting

Forgive me for potentially embarrassing myself, but just because it is called battleship, does that instantly make the film about the game? Can't the film be about, say, the naval vessels classed as Battleships? (even though the trailer, bizarrely, seems to be equally focused on a carrier, but that's beside the point)

To be entirely honest I'm not sure if games based on board games and things like the "Battleship" movie is a step down from low-budget romantic comedies like the one allegedly being pitched. :)

That said, I suspect the movie "Battleship" might have been an idea that came up when people were discussing what they could do with unlikely properties, and turn them into movies, and while discussing some wonky stuff they wound up liking the idea and deciding to make it.

See, for me, the movie got attention not because I loved Battleship, but because I can't help but wonder how they managed to actually make a movie out of it, and I'll probably see it on Netflix or something just for that reason. To be honest the basic set up from the trailers does seem clever, in an obtuse way, if "Battleship" was not being screamed right from the beginning I'd have to say I've seen worse alien invasion set ups, and having a naval focus instead of focusing on the air force or army is a bit differant. I was also oddly enough having thoughts of the old "Super Atragon" anime.

Basically the movie is so obviously banal and stupid seeming, that you have to wonder if it actually hides the sort of mad genius that is going to birth a cult classic.

Immsys:
Forgive me for potentially embarrassing myself, but just because it is called battleship, does that instantly make the film about the game? Can't the film be about, say, the naval vessels classed as Battleships? (even though the trailer, bizarrely, seems to be equally focused on a carrier, but that's beside the point)

Quite easily yeah, but there was a big hoo-hah about them actually licensing the Battleship IP so the coincidental theory goes right out the window.

They could have made an awesome Naval Warfare movie, but nope, ALIENS!?!?!?111!!! Also, it's apparently out in certain places, reviews are not good

Ok I haven't seen Battleship so I can't comment on it's quality, but it doesn't sound like a particularily bad idea.
What worries me is that no one seems to give a rat's ass about Ridley Scott's upcoming project: Monopoly...the movie.

As soon as I read about the green laser scope, I thought "Wait a second..."

But I would play the hell out of that game.

Although I think the Battleship movie will still be dumb, I don't think it will be as dumb as I initially thought.

I'm also heartened that the plot seems to be America and Japan, the last two nations to fight large-scale naval engagments with capital ships, teaming up to stop alien invaders. That's almost touching.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here