Kid Icarus: Uprising Review

Kid Icarus: Uprising Review

Lace up your sandals and preen you wings

Read Full Article

Looks good, gonna pick up a copy once I get my 3ds this summer after exams. It's great to the 3ds has got off it's feet and is finally flying high.

I got it when it came out and I've really been enjoying it.

The controls were quite an initial hurdle, but after the halfway point you start to feel more comfortable with them. (Or at least can play without dying excessively). This is one of my favorite 3DS games so far.

The controls are a huge hurdle for me. My hand hurts after just a half hour.

The fact that the story keeps moving, and the characters chattering along, while I'm busy trying to stay alive also means I have no clue what's going on plot wise.

w00t, Kid Icarus: Uprising rocks! Here's hoping for another possible sequel sometime in the future!

After listening to the escapist podcasts I can't read this and not imagine Jodie's accent in my head.

...I consider this a good thing, I get tired of my own accent in my head.

Are the controls really that problematic?

Sounds pretty cool. I'll have to hold off on buying it right now since I'm a little strapped for cash, but I do plan on getting this eventually. I can't wait to try it out, it sounds really interesting.

I'm loving that you can listen to music once you unlock it, the visuals are great and I like the banter, even if I find Palutena as a bit of a jerk...

My only complaint is the controls. Ugh, my hand got sore playing. I know they give you a stand, but that seems counter intuitive to the whole 'portable console'.

But man, I love the box this came in, the picture of pit and the sky behind him is beautiful.

Zachary Amaranth:

For me, they are. Specifically on land. Ugh, flicking the screen with the stylus to move the camera is annoying and can screw you over in the midst of a battle.

The prospect of a non-video review by Jodie is quite disappointing. I'll just try to read it in her accent.

Why is it mentioned multiple times that this is a game in a franchise with multiple predecessors? As far as I know, there has only been one single Kid Icarus game before this: namely Kid Icarus, from 1986.

Aardvark Soup:
Why is it mentioned multiple times that this is a game in a franchise with multiple predecessors? As far as I know, there has only been one single Kid Icarus game before this: namely Kid Icarus, from 1986.

There was one other released in 1991 for the Gameboy called Of Myths and Monsters

Zachary Amaranth:

In my experience, they are far from problematic (besides: you have three setups to choose from). Yah, the camera takes some getting used to but the game never throws you into situation where absolute mastery of the camera is necessary. That is, on the lower difficulty levels. If you go beyond white hot, you better be on your goddamn toes. But until then, you'll have everything under control and you'll be surprised how smooth the camera controls are, once you wrap your mind around it.

But really, with speed sensitivity for the camera spinning, control setups that don't use the touch screen at all and other options, you can find the perfect controls that suit you, which (for a handheld game) is pretty awesome.

Zachary Amaranth:

I don't think so. Maybe it's because of my extended history of using handheld consoles, but I found the controls very quick and intuitive. I especially enjoyed the land-based and boss parts, really.

They can be pretty difficult if you have ever had a hand injury that's prone to flaring up.

From personal experience not even the stand will help much in that case. And this is coming from a person that plays Monster Hunter on the PSP regularly.

I'll have to fit in a sneaky play of this on my brother's 3DS. Seems pretty neat, and while not original IP, it's nice to see Nintendo taking a franchise that isn't Zelda, Mario, or Pokemon, and giving it a nice, big-budget, major release on one of their freshest platforms. It's a step in the right direction for Nintendo, and even though they're still recycling old properties, it's not a tired rehash. ...yet.

Blitzwing:

Aardvark Soup:

There was one other released in 1991 for the Gameboy called Of Myths and Monsters

Really? I've never heard of that one before, but it sounds pretty interesting.

Anyway, I probably should've Wikipedia'd a little before making that post.

Makes me want a 3DS. In fact, this is the main reason I ever wanted a 3DS.

Great review, makes me want to play the game so badly. Shame i can't buy a 3ds(i'm broke).

Still waiting for the Xenoblade Chronicles review.

I can't understand those who complain about hand pain, I never had it playing this. Are those people doing it wrong? Or maybe it's because I play it with the 3DS on my chest instead in the air?
I do understand about the control complains, fly mode is easy, land controls are harder to get used to but then you do. What's really hard is a certain vehicle, it's almost impossible to get used to, fortunately you don't use it that much and it's mostly optional.

The review wasn't very complete, it didn't mention the challenges, hundreds of them, nor the Soundtrack, graphics, vehicles...

While I agree the formula is repetitive I think if you focus on your objectives, (challenges), or simply avoid dying which is really difficult on difficulty over 6 the experience gets better.
I'm currently discovering every treasure and complete some challenges, but I doubt I'll ever have 100%, some of them are really hard. The online is really simple, while you can custom your weapons and powers, you can't custom the server, so it's always the same matched with random people. I think Nintendo should try to use dedicated servers for people to custom as they want, for me it's the worst thing in Nintendo 3DS and Wii. You can play with friends of course :)

I'd give 4,5/5, due to the great graphics, great soundtrack, and impressively, even with the repetitive gameplay, great replay value. And the characters were really, really good, Viridi is my favourite.

Game is pretty impressive, but I haven't played more than 30 minutes of it. I'm a lefty and the controls are damn near impossible for me. I'm an advanced gamer, but I'm playing it on a really light difficulty to make up for the controls. I've tried all the different configurations and can't get anything to work. Seems like they made this game to get people to buy that circle pad accessory.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here