Trailers: Dishonored Debut Official Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Xiado:
Hmm, so Bioshock meets Assassin's Creed? Interesting enough, love the detail in the world at least

I think that hits the nail on the head best.
I was thinking, as I watched: "Hmm, it's like a first person Assassin's creed, mixed with a bit of Thief...and something else...I can't put my finger on it...". Then I read your post: BAAM! Bioshock! THAT'S what I was thinking!

Anyways, the game looks neat! I like the concept, at least!
And the art director is the same guy who did Half Life 2, so that's bad-ass.

Keeping an eye on this one!

I actually like SteamPunk settings, and hardly see any good games with the theme. or... any off the top of my head. But I'm weary of non direct Bethesda games. Brink and Hunted: Demon's Forge come to mind. If they can pull this off and make it functional maybe I'll be interested in it, otherwise I might just avoid it.

Looks cool so far though, got to give them that much.

It's like *insert vaguely related IP* but with more *insert arbitrary characteristic*.

Aren't I clever, being all deconstructive 'n shit.

In all honesty, looks interesting, and if it's as fluid as the trailer makes us believe I'll look further into it.

damn bethesda sometimes makes it hard to continue my boycott of their games. If only their legal department wasn't a giant gaggle of d-bags then I would have no problems.

Love the setting and the style, though I don't know if the gameplay will hold up. But I am most intrigued.

Well, it's gonna be published by Bethesda, right?
It will be utter shit. The trailer is great though.

Sandytimeman:
damn bethesda sometimes makes it hard to continue my boycott of their games. If only their legal department wasn't a giant gaggle of d-bags then I would have no problems.

May I inquire your reasoning for this boycott? If it's about the Mojang-thing, I think you are boycotting for nothing.

Vkmies:

Sandytimeman:

May I inquire your reasoning for this boycott? If it's about the Mojang-thing, I think you are boycotting for nothing.

Well that is one part of it, the other is how they treated Interplay. How after saying they were going to allow interplay to make the fallout mmo, they turned around and sued interplay for those rights and kept interplay in court until they went bankrupt. Bethesda makes good games but it seems like they are legal bullies.

Combine Rustler:

*sniff sniff*

this game has been on my most wanted list for so long, i almost exploded because of this trailer. do want!

Hm, nice trailer. I agree, looks like it could become similar to Thief, which i'd like very much, kinda missing it since... some time by now!
Maybe with some elements from Elder Scrolls/ Fallout, could be nice, but guess we'll have to see, when they show us some actual gaming footage.

Been waiting long enough for the trailer. Too bad we didn't say any gameplay (I believe there has been short footage of it in previews), but oh well.

Sandytimeman:

Vkmies:

Sandytimeman:

Well that is one part of it, the other is how they treated Interplay. How after saying they were going to allow interplay to make the fallout mmo, they turned around and sued interplay for those rights and kept interplay in court until they went bankrupt. Bethesda makes good games but it seems like they are legal bullies.

Well about the Mojang thingie:
First of all, it was Zenimax, but if you boycott them, you pretty much boycott bethesda as well. :P

If Bethesda didn't sue Mojang about the use of Scrolls, they would have been forbidden to pretty much sue anyone for naming-copyrights about The Elder Scrolls ever again. Bethesda has an obligation to protect its trademark -- Elder Scrolls -- at the risk of diluting or losing it entirely. Meaning that if they would've let Mojang go with Scrolls, they would have had to let "The Elderly Trolls V: Myrim" go as well. Which is why they settled it so Bethesda would not contest Mojang's naming of Scrolls, so long as it would not be a direct competitor against The Elder Scrolls. They had no problem with Mojang using "Scrolls", they had to do SOMETHING to keep the trademark.

Bethesda has had a bucnh of really shitty complaints about Interplay however, including "You cannot call the fallout collection Fallout: Trilogy" and "You cannot put your games on Steam!". But the MMO thing had fair enough reasoning for it:
They basically claimed that Interplay was slow to develop such a game and had failed to secure the proper funding for the game code-named "Project V13."
Not a great reason, but understandable enough. I agree that the legal battle was way overboard and I was very saddened to see Interplay go. I rooted for them all the way.

Vkmies:

Sandytimeman:

Vkmies:

First of all, it was Zenimax, but if you boycott them, you pretty much boycott bethesda as well. :P

If Bethesda didn't sue Mojang about the use of Scrolls, they would have been forbidden to pretty much sue anyone for naming-copyrights about The Elder Scrolls ever again. Bethesda has an obligation to protect its trademark -- Elder Scrolls -- at the risk of diluting or losing it entirely. Meaning that if they would've let Mojang go with Scrolls, they would have had to let "The Elderly Trolls V: Myrim" go as well. Which is why they settled it so Bethesda would not contest Mojang's naming of Scrolls, so long as it would not be a direct competitor against The Elder Scrolls. They had no problem with Mojang using "Scrolls", they had to do SOMETHING to keep the trademark.

Bethesda has had a bucnh of really shitty complaints about Interplay however, including "You cannot call the fallout collection Fallout: Trilogy" and "You cannot put your games on Steam!". But the MMO thing had fair enough reasoning for it:
They basically claimed that Interplay was slow to develop such a game and had failed to secure the proper funding for the game code-named "Project V13."
Not a great reason, but understandable enough. I agree that the legal battle was way overboard and I was very saddened to see Interplay go. I rooted for them all the way.

I've always wondered though, would Bestheda sue someone whose game was called "Eldar" Also, I personally never really called the games "The Eldar Scrolls" most people I know and read seem to refer to they buy the other name. Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, etc.

I still think Bethesda over-reacted and that not one person would have gotten a collectable digital card game confused with a Sandbox RPG.

Sandytimeman:

Vkmies:

Sandytimeman:

I've always wondered though, would Bestheda sue someone whose game was called "Eldar" Also, I personally never really called the games "The Eldar Scrolls" most people I know and read seem to refer to they buy the other name. Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, etc.

I still think Bethesda over-reacted and that not one person would have gotten a collectable digital card game confused with a Sandbox RPG.

If they wouldn't have sued, they could've lost rights to The Elder Scrolls-title, meaning that anyone could call their game The Elder Scrolls. And of course someone would have, it's a name that sells. That's why they weren't going for money, or nuking Mojang. They just wanted to come to a legal agreement, so they could keep the name.

I read about this game a little while back in game informer, thought it looked promising. Now that I've seen the game trailer I now know that the can construct an interesting atmosphere on top of the game that they are producing.

It seems like the developers are taking a good approach to designing this game. They give the player a ton of abilities and when one of their players figures out a way to exploit one of these abilities (by lets say, cutting across a map and skipping a good portion of the game), they don't nerf the ability and work this exploit into the actual game play.

I hope that their budget doesn't run out from under them before they make a great game.

Y'know killing that random guy without the prerequisite "Nyaha! I have you now Lonestar! Prepare to die!" only makes me realise how much I miss it when it's gone...

Still having time stop powers seems cool. Hopefully they'll have a better energy system in place than Human Revolution. Eat sweets to win. Seems legit.

And i've never found 1st person platforming to be an issue, I don't need to be able to see my legs to properly line up a jump. Shocking!

Xenowolf:
Been waiting long enough for the trailer. Too bad we didn't say any gameplay (I believe there has been short footage of it in previews), but oh well.

Yeah, they've shown some clips from within the game but I don't believe there's been any extended gameplay.

DrunkenElfMage:
It seems like the developers are taking a good approach to designing this game. They give the player a ton of abilities and when one of their players figures out a way to exploit one of these abilities (by lets say, cutting across a map and skipping a good portion of the game), they don't nerf the ability and work this exploit into the actual game play.

That impressed me as well.

First person, steampunk, Assassins creed?

WHY ARE WE NOT FUNDING THIS!?

The Wykydtron:
Y'know killing that random guy without the prerequisite "Nyaha! I have you now Lonestar! Prepare to die!" only makes me realise how much I miss it when it's gone...

Still having time stop powers seems cool. Hopefully they'll have a better energy system in place than Human Revolution. Eat sweets to win. Seems legit.

And i've never found 1st person platforming to be an issue, I don't need to be able to see my legs to properly line up a jump. Shocking!

YOU DARE DEFY THE SUCROSE KING?!

The whole depth perception thing that people complain about only really lasts the first 1-2 jumps until you get a good grasp on your characters jump distance. The same things can happen in 2d platformers when you dont know how far your character can jump.

For everyone looking for gameplay:
Judging from Arcane Studio's last game Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, most of what you saw in first person will be the gameplay.

FiatCelebrity:
This looks derivative, but intriguing. Too bad we can't assume a single drop of that was gameplay. So . . . no idea. Thanks a lot trailer.

I know right? I mean I'm fine with trailers wanting to attract our attention but I'm getting annoyed of them giving no indication at all as to how the game plays.

None of it was gameplay so I remain skeptical, but it still looked good.

I skimmed through the entire trailer looking for gameplay and found none.

World looks good, but unless I know how the game is structured, my interest is null.

This looks very, VERY promising. I'm trying to think of how they might make this game seem better, but I can't. Hopefully gameplay and story will stand up as we hear more.

Any estimates on when this might be releasing?

So..."Assassins Steam Shock"? I mean, a bit early to tell, especially with a CG trailer, but that's my initial impression. Hopefully it'll prove to be more than yet another derivative FPS/Adventure title.

Combine Rustler:

Thats a terrible post. Dont post like anymore.

Double post >:(

Harvey Smith is one of the designers.
I guess it's too much to hope for another Deus ex? Atleast give us a similar gameplay

The trailer rubs me the wrong way:
1) "The beloved Empress is dead and everyone thinks you're the killer" and "Revenge solves everything" - giving out the character motivations right in the trailer. Plus - Not a single word said by the protagonist.

These two things tell me "...and there goes character development of the protagonist :( ". I one of those guys who like the "story" part of "interactive story telling" (or as some people call them - "games") This trailer does not intrigue me with what the protagonist will be like. It actually lays a huge chunk on the table right away - a noble good guy avenges the lesser evil only to understand that he is being played by a bigger evil, which the good guy promptly avenges in turn. Let's come back to this post after the game is out and see how much I got right.

2) "Beloved Empress dead", "head of the watch", "I am content as long as the disease spreads among the poor" - for me these speak "...and there goes the complexity of the setting"
Guys, let me throw out a crazy idea: how about you try to set your games up NOT in a dystopian future/past/alternative reality? How about you try to place your protagonist in a society that is complex, but - you know - sustainable. Survivable. I know, it's hard to make your protagonist shine if the whole world around him is not drowning in sh...t, plus you don't get the "gritty and edgy" merit badge from the kool crowd, but you'll figure something out.

Ok, I am reading a lot into the trailer, but on the other hand, given the quality of writing in modern games, my pessimism about the story can hardly be called unfounded.
We'll see, but my hopes are not high.

:double post:

Headline that should be on the box "The best game to ever exist! No really!"

Looking forward to something that is atleast mind blowing :D cuz we alllll know it will be.

For a trailer it was still pretty cool. Looks interesting. Might honestly be one of the only games I'm interested in right now.

So you are arrested in the begining.

Score one for originality Bethesda.

Interesting version of assassin's creed. I'll be sure to check on this game from time to time.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here