Trailers: Dishonored Debut Official Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Ok I already know enough about this game to know that I don't care about all these 'So it's x meets y with magic, in z', I already know that if this game can deliver a tenth of what it promises it will be a fantastic. What I'm trying to figure out is, who the hell is that doing the voice for The Outsider (name of the guy who gives Corvo his mark)? It's so insanely familiar that it is driving me nuts.

Looks interesting, won't get to excited for it before i see some gameplay though.

Smiley Face:
This looks very, VERY promising. I'm trying to think of how they might make this game seem better, but I can't. Hopefully gameplay and story will stand up as we hear more.

Any estimates on when this might be releasing?

the website says available for preorder now, for a 2012 release. so, not a stupidly long wait time. i'd estimate october/november, but it's still early days.

OT: this looks awesome. i know its only a cinematic trailer, but from looking around, it is made by some of the people involved with thief and deus ex, so looks to be promising. i loved bioshock, and it seems to have influences there aswell, and fucking loved DE:HR's stealth elements, so definitely one to keep my eye on

tmande2nd:
First person parkour is not going to end well.

"This seems a manageable leap!"
-falls 50 stories-
CURSE YOU DEPTH PERCEPTION CCCUUUUUUUURRSSSEEEEE YOU!

Yes for 1st person POV
Currently we have plenty 3rd person POV parkour games, but not much 1st person ones.
How many at this point are there? Mirror's edge and Brink- not much.
So yeah 1st person all the way.
I played both Mirror's Edge and Brink without any depth perception issues

Honestly: it's by Arkane Studios.

Let me tell you about Arkane Studios' repertoire.
First came Arx Fatalis, a criminally underlooked dungeon crawler that was quite flawed yet quite brilliant as well.

Then came Dark Messiah which was AGAIN flawed, but boasted one of the best combat systems in a western RPG to date.

And now we have this.

Consider me on the bandwagon: I'm fucking excited.

Eh, looks too much like Assassins Creed for me to be too excited about it yet, but I'll follow along and see if they drop us any more interesting and less derivative hooks later.

wolf thing:
apart from it not begin steampuck because every thing in it is clearly electrically powered it looks pretty cool, hope the gameplay matches what was shown

Actually technically everything is whale oil powered but it looks like the oil's converted to electrical energy anyway.

I'm SO hyped, because Viktor Antonov is the art director.
If you don't know him:
http://www.vulkanbros.com/intro.html

I just love his style.
Some call this game "Dishonored". I prefer Half-Deus-BioLife-Shock EX.

totally heterosexual:

Combine Rustler:
Well, it's gonna be published by Bethesda, right?
It will be utter shit. The trailer is great though.

Thats a terrible post. Dont post like anymore.

Okay, if you say so. I am terribly sorry.

You cannot trust a trailer. Yes, it does in fact look absolutely fantastic. The trailer, that is. The game might very well be shit, and considering Bethesda's late games that weren't Fallout or Elder Scrolls (looking at you, Brink, Wet and RAGE), there's a very realistic chance that it will, in fact, be utter shit. Consider Brink's trailers for instance. One of them had a slow motion shot of a flying m79 grenade with "Jah lick 'em with thundar" painted on it. That is instant awesome, and the trailer itself was great in general. Game... not so hot.

DVS BSTrD:
Please dear god don't let this be first person parkor. I like the idea of Assassin's Creed by way of Fable 3 with Bioshock tech.

"Killing me won't solve anything"
*shrug* "It'll give us something to put in the trailer"
"But I'm not even remotely connected to the plot!"
*slits throat* "Dam strait!"

Team Hollywood:
Looks like Garrett has some competition for best sneaky steampunk character.

Don't let Yahtzee hear you say that!

It's hard to lose against someone who hasn't seen the outside for, what about 10 years now?

ManupBatman:

Absolutionis:
Blargh. I came here for a decent game that seemed similar to Thief. I love Garret as a character. Garret IS stealth and his marginally techy/magical tools are there to purely enhance his stealth.

This "Dishonored" guy is running around shooting, swording, and magicing everything. It's a 'stealth' game the same way Uncharted is a 'stealth' game. It's there, but not the main focus.

It looks like it has "steampunk" for the sake of being "steampunk". Nothing makes sense, and nothing really matters.

The Thief franchise had it right all along. Waiting for Thief 4.

It seems Steampunk/Fictional Victorian is pretty important to the setting. May not the Steampunk Classic, but people complain about that anyway.

I'm with you on the Stealth bit. Action Stealth hybrids bother me so much, if that dude has so much power he probably could of just knocked on the front door and went on from there (a la Assassin's Creed). But who knows, it may play more Stealthy.

Agree with both you guys. For me, a good stealth game either lets me finish the mission with the bad guys never knowing I was there, or at least able to pick them off quietly one by one without ever catching a glimpse of me. If they go the Deus Ex: Human Revolution route and give you the option to go the stealth route or violence (shitty boss fights aside), that would be great too. But I don't see the point of sneaking past 20 guards to get to your target if you could take them all out in a stand-up fight anyway.

Looks really good, I'll definitly see how this turns out.

Half-Life 2 meets Bioshock meets Thief meets Infatype (or is that Protomous?). I'll be buying it.

kman123:
Honestly: it's by Arkane Studios.

Let me tell you about Arkane Studios' repertoire.
First came Arx Fatalis, a criminally underlooked dungeon crawler that was quite flawed yet quite brilliant as well.

Then came Dark Messiah which was AGAIN flawed, but boasted one of the best combat systems in a western RPG to date.

And now we have this.

Consider me on the bandwagon: I'm fucking excited.

Damn right. I have faith in Arkane.

I just hope they get round to polishing Dishonored up before release. IMO the only thing holding back AF and DM was how rough the edges were.

Oh, it's an Arkane title?

I'll cautiously follow this, then. The studio's last offerings weren't exactly stellar...

I hate the obvious black and white morality so people have no issues killing potentially innocent guards.

Been keeping track of this game via their website since I got my copy of Skyrim, which had an ad for this game in the case.

No game comparisons, no expectations, I wanna see gameplay footage and maybe get a demo. I'll be watching for the release.

DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT.

I'm way too excited about something I had LITERALLY no interest in 3 minutes ago.

Don't get excited, don't get excited, don't gET EXCITED!!! I DON'T CARE, IT LOOKS LIKE BIOSHOCK HAD JACK THE RIPPERS LOVE BABY!!!

I saw the commercial earlier and was like, the hell is this?... looks... awesome!

I came.

I saw.

I came.

Looks brilliant, and I like the aesthetic. Bit bothered that all the characters have American accents in a Victorian-England-modeled city, but I'll take it over poorly-imitated English accents.

After that bit in the cell I was pretty intrigued, but afterwards there was no part of this I liked even slightly. The art style, the character design, the concept were all boring and more than a little derivative of several other well established games.

The tagline at the end "Revenge solves everything" is something you would expect to see on a trailer for a Rambo movie from like 20 years ago. It, taken together with the rest of the presented trailer smacks of "we had an idea for a steampunk assassin, but we are gonna do our best to make sure that one interesting idea doesn't get in the way of all our other mediocre ones!"

Its like someone took characters from TF2, put them in uniforms vaguely reminiscent of some V for Vendetta style British dystopian regime, and then decided to have another go at mirror's edge's nausea simulator.

The exoskeleton's they use are impressive looking, but amount to pretty much stilts as the guy using them just walks over and whips out a crossbow to shoot pedestrians because "thats what the bad guys do, and we are showing you that they are the bad guys yo!"

I'm surprised Corvan or whoever didn't bust down the door to find a TF2 engineer repairing a Big Daddy while the guy he came to kill was tossing puppies into the fireplace.

Also if you had some kind of time slowing device and had super free running skills and magic etc. you'd think that when you jump out of a high window that you might, ya know, do something to break your fall other than use your face like he seemed to.

Personally I hope that someday they make a new Tenchu game that looks as good as the first minute or so of this trailer. Guess I'll have to settle for increasingly unsatisfying Assassin's Creed games that after AC2 have been little more than expensive DLC expansions.

FiatCelebrity:
This looks derivative, but intriguing. Too bad we can't assume a single drop of that was gameplay. So . . . no idea. Thanks a lot trailer.

From the previews I have read, the actual game-play is very similar to that. Mind you, I doubt the climbing will be as grand as it was in the trailer, but the kills, powers, general physics (IE: Stepping on carpet is far quieter than on a hard floor) is all very much in the actual game.

The only issue I have at this point is that the screenshots seem a little... empty in the world. Then again the screenshots I have seen are quite a few months old and still from the early alpha version.

Watches video: ('-' )

Sees "Games For Windows Live" (._. )

KoudelkaMorgan:
The art style, the character design, the concept were all boring and more than a little derivative of several other well established games.

Its like someone took characters from TF2, put them in uniforms vaguely reminiscent of some V for Vendetta style British dystopian regime, and then decided to have another go at mirror's edge's nausea simulator.

You'll probably be told this a dozen times before you edit your comments, but the art director of this game used to work at Valve for many of their games.

So what you seem to be saying is artist has similar themes across their work, which is to be expected.

(V for Vendetta didn't invent the idea of a British Dystopian Regime, Britain ITSELF invented that, both are drawing from a common real-world historical source, each both with their distinct embellishments. This is not plagiarism from other work, this is both referencing history and culture.)

Arkane studios also worked on the Bioshock series, so your allegations of Valve/Bioshock derivation paint it as if plagiarism, rather than artists rightly repeating their themes.

Dishonored without the U.

The only thing that rustles my jimmies is that this is explicitly set in a British country under British English dialect yet they spell Dishonored under the American dialect of removing the superfulous "U".

I don't have a problem with American dialect. If I ever refer to that port that the Imperial Japanese bombed on Dec 7th 1941, I spell it "Pearl Harbor". Without the U as it is an American place name so should have an American spelling.

I know this is an american game be it is trying to be British. And not doing a good job of it. They are missing the charm ofsuperfulous U's, by god, soldiers gave their lives to make sure people spelled words with extra U's and other soldiers died so that they didn't have to be used.

I don't know the plot, maybe you are a Steampunk version of Merriam Webster, out to assassinate the editors of the Oxford Dictionary, but somehow I doubt that. Though it would be hilarious.

I love how you complain that the protagonist didn't just storm the castle - A] it would make for boring trailer B] just look into it ffs, they are just showing you what will be possible in the game.

So obviously stealth will be a huge deal in the game, if it was fighting oriented we would have gotten another Ezio-goes-bad-shit-crazy montage ("Iron-trailer"). There will be some storytelling (remember the Dead Island trailer - hyped as hell you have had zombies, you've seen some combat but no voice over, rather just mood telling you what's it about, game itself bombed but the trailer told you a lot anyway) and obviously some OP powers but nobody says you will have all of them at all times - maybe you will have the invest in some kind of skill tree or there is long CD on them or your mana (place in any other substitute you like) regens slow and you use it fast.

What I'm saying is that the stealth part takes more time then the fighting - stop going all crazy about the overuse of fighting when we just don't know what will hit us, yet. >_<

Xiado:
Hmm, so Bioshock meets Assassin's Creed? Interesting enough, love the detail in the world at least

That's just what I was thinking. If it's first person then I hope that they have some way of making platforming possible. First person platforming and I do not get along well.

Also, I feel so sad for the main character. The trailer stole his witty one liner.

Looks intriguing but Bethesda doesn't have the best of track records for games outside of The Elder Scrolls series, and their stealth ain't all that great IN TES, either.

Still, I'm reserving judgement. A suitably grim steampunk with sorcery to boot is my kind of setting.

I laughed at "revenge solves everything"

Treblaine:

KoudelkaMorgan:
The art style, the character design, the concept were all boring and more than a little derivative of several other well established games.

You'll probably be told this a dozen times before you edit your comments, but the art director of this game used to work at Valve for many of their games.

So what you seem to be saying is artist has similar themes across their work, which is to be expected.

(V for Vendetta didn't invent the idea of a British Dystopian Regime, Britain ITSELF invented that, both are drawing from a common real-world historical source, each both with their distinct embellishments. This is not plagiarism from other work, this is both referencing history and culture.)

Arkane studios also worked on the Bioshock series, so your allegations of Valve/Bioshock derivation paint it as if plagiarism, rather than artists rightly repeating their themes.

Why would I edit my comments? Was I supposed to come in to the trailer already knowing who the art director was? Truly my ignorance has shamed me.

I also wasn't claiming that V4V invented the idea of British totalitarian regimes. I didn't like V either so I wasn't exactly championing its brilliant imaginative prowess. I never even finished the demo for bioshock or as I hated what I was playing. Mirror's Edge demo I did finish but the theme song was al I liked about it. So perhaps the reason I didn't like the trailer was that it was basically an amalgam of things I don't care for.

I was just exercising my opinion on a board designed for such things. But I guess I should go edit my post before a thousand people all rush to tell me who the art director was on a game I literally just heard of. If anything I'd say its to his or her credit that their style is so readily identifiable.

Interesting... Love the setting and feel but I want to see gameplay before I decide to buy

Trailer's fantastic as fuck, but I'm worried 70% of the budget went into making it. </joking>

Hope the gameplay is as good, I really wanna like it.

Combine Rustler:

totally heterosexual:

Combine Rustler:
Well, it's gonna be published by Bethesda, right?
It will be utter shit. The trailer is great though.

You cannot trust a trailer. Yes, it does in fact look absolutely fantastic. The trailer, that is. The game might very well be shit, and considering Bethesda's late games that weren't Fallout or Elder Scrolls (looking at you, Brink, Wet and RAGE), there's a very realistic chance that it will, in fact, be utter shit. Consider Brink's trailers for instance. One of them had a slow motion shot of a flying m79 grenade with "Jah lick 'em with thundar" painted on it. That is instant awesome, and the trailer itself was great in general. Game... not so hot.

1. It's not being made by Bethesda. Neither was brink.

2. In your first post you said that "it will be shit" not "it might be shit". As in outright stating that it will be be bad. It go's both ways you know.

3. The game has arkane studios and people who woreked on games like hl2 and deus ex behind it. Hard to go wrong with that.

4. Stop posting already.

totally heterosexual:

Combine Rustler:

totally heterosexual:

2. In your first post you said that "it will be shit" not "it might be shit". As in outright stating that it will be be bad. It go's both ways you know.

3. The game has arkane studios and people who woreked on games like hl2 and deus ex behind it. Hard to go wrong with that.

4. Stop posting already.

Wanna have a slugging match of inane arguments and chucklefuck stupidity combined with the pathetic attempts at bullying? Go find someone else. I made my fucking points, deal with them or don't. Just don't tell me about it.

Combine Rustler:

totally heterosexual:

Combine Rustler:

4. Stop posting already.

Wanna have a slugging match of inane arguments and chucklefuck stupidity combined with the pathetic attempts at bullying? Go find someone else. I made my fucking points, deal with them or don't. Just don't tell me about it.

All your points were bad and based around nothing true or justifiable. Nothing but speculation without anything solid backing it up. In short = terrible points.

Im just trying to stop you from posting so badly dude. No need to take it personally.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here