No Right Answer: Worst Videogame Ending Ever

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Worst Videogame Ending Ever

This week, the boys debate what videogame ending offends the senses the most.

Watch Video

and..................QUEUE ME3 RAGE GO GO GO!

Is that really how GTA 3 ended? HA, that's hilarious. I don't get too invested in the ending of games to that extreme. Only game I know with a rather shit ending is RAGE where it just stops. Borderlands is similar too I guess.

Also, epic Jenova's Witness shirt.

Oh come on, no mention of KotOR 2? That ending was way worse. You get a maybe text dump with a visual of what happens 2 seconds after you kill the final boss then nothing, all from a CHARACTER BASED, STORY DRIVEN GAME.

You know I'm gunna have to go with Chris on this one: At least Grand Theft Auto HAD an ending instead of a time skip.

deth2munkies:
Oh come on, no mention of KotOR 2? That ending was way worse. You get a maybe text dump with a visual of what happens 2 seconds after you kill the final boss then nothing, all from a CHARACTER BASED, STORY DRIVEN GAME.

Hey now, at least it told you the eventual fates of your characters and didn't dump them into an inbred colony.

Plus, the Restoration Mod makes the endgame much better.

I could think of a worse ending than both of those, KotOR II. ...shit, ninja'd.

That was some pretty masterful trolling in the topic. Ragging on ME3 fans and FF7 fans, awesome.

I thought the FFVII ending was fine :P

I offer The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

It was a Zelda game where you could see that they were trying to do something new with the series. We had the Twilight Realm and the Light Realm. We were on a quest to save Link's girlfriend and the kids. Zelda was just kinda there. All through the game we are being tormented and taunted by the game's main villain, Zant. Eventually we have a long epic showdown with Zant as we are teleported to the different boss rooms and have to put every strategy we learned to the test. As the battle progresses we see Zant for the insane madman he really is. The battle is long and hard, but eventually we finally strike Zant down. Then Ganondorf shows up and reveals that he was really the main bad guy all this time...

Now I wanted to kill Ganondorf not because he was the main villain, but because he ruined the story. And even stranger, I don't kill Ganondorf, Link doesn't kill Ganondorf, Zelda doesn't kill Ganondorf, Midna doesn't kill Ganondorf... Zant kills Ganondorf.

That whole ending was just "oh crap, we forgot to put Ganondorf in the game"

GTAIII ending was good for that game, i liked it. GTA:LCS on the other hand sucked donkey ass.

Another one, was it soul reaver 2 where Kain escapes?

They're both WRONG!

The worst ending is either a "Thank you for playing" screen.

OR

A misspelled "Congratulations" screen.

I don't think GTA 3 had a case here. So what if you get to roam around after the story is finished? How does that make the ending worse? I don't get it. And if the story was crap and un-engaging to begin with then why does it matter so much that the ending was bad?

orangeapples:
I offer The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

It was a Zelda game where you could see that they were trying to do something new with the series. We had the Twilight Realm and the Light Realm. We were on a quest to save Link's girlfriend and the kids. Zelda was just kinda there. All through the game we are being tormented and taunted by the game's main villain, Zant. Eventually we have a long epic showdown with Zant as we are teleported to the different boss rooms and have to put every strategy we learned to the test. As the battle progresses we see Zant for the insane madman he really is. The battle is long and hard, but eventually we finally strike Zant down. Then Ganondorf shows up and reveals that he was really the main bad guy all this time...

Now I wanted to kill Ganondorf not because he was the main villain, but because he ruined the story. And even stranger, I don't kill Ganondorf, Link doesn't kill Ganondorf, Zelda doesn't kill Ganondorf, Midna doesn't kill Ganondorf... Zant kills Ganondorf.

That whole ending was just "oh crap, we forgot to put Ganondorf in the game"

I don't get why people didn't like Ganondorf being the final bad guy in Twilight Princess. It's not like they didn't talk about him through the story. He wasn't there at the start but it's not like the game just pulled him out of it's arse right at the end. You knew it was coming. But I was really disappointed with Zelda's treatment in the game. You barely see her and the only time you ever talk to her she kills herself to help you! And then you just leave and never talk about it again! I think that the character who the whole series is named after deserves far better treatment than that.

I'd like to make the case for F.E.A.R. 2, where your reward for beating the game is the main character gets raped.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember anything being too wrong with FF7's ending. I mean, it seemed obvious that Midguard was destroyed but the rest of the world was saved to me. Mainly cause that place was awful.

I wasn't sure what mine would be, then I noticed someone on Facebook mentioned Rage. That's the worst ending I've ever seen. It's A: So incredibly abrupt that it's not even funny, B: Gives no closure for your character AT ALL so you have no idea what happened to him (seriously, he's in the middle of the bad guy's lair and there's no way to know if he even gets out), C: Really just serves as sequel bait, and D: Doesn't really say anything at all about anything that's happened. That's how bad it is.

misterprickly:
They're both WRONG!

The worst ending is either a "Thank you for playing" screen.

OR

A misspelled "Congratulations" screen.

I'm going to disagree with most cases of this. The magnitude of failure in an ending is directly proportional to how much the game made you care how it ends. In every game I can think of with that kind if ending, the focus was on the gameplay, not the characters or story. I enjoyed Super Mario Brothers 3. I really didn't care how it ended.

Then again, doesn't Mass Effect 3 technically end with that message(along with "buy our DLC!")?

deth2munkies:

And yet it's still better than Neverwinter Night 2.

While the ending to FF7 lacked closure for the characters, the fact that there was a planet there at all after an object of that mass and velocity was on a collision course with said planet means that the party successfully stopped Meteor.

That said, it was kind of dumb to expect the audience to have even that basic knowledge of physics.

Soviet Heavy:

deth2munkies:

Hey now, at least it told you the eventual fates of your characters and didn't dump them into an inbred colony.

Plus, the Restoration Mod makes the endgame much better.

It only gave you that if you were light side and didn't just kill the final boss immediately.

Ghost Busters on the NES, beats all your punny arguments.

but i gotta agree FF7's ending sucked, it just kinda happened, then the time skip and the 'um .... what the fuck just happened ?'

the Armored Core games have always had a shitty ending to, mostly cause they just kinda happen as well.

and then there was Digital Devil Saga part 2, um .... what the fuck just happened there we go to the sun (i think) fight through a dungeon, met god then are forced to fight him for no determinable reason then credits o.0

Kapol:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember anything being too wrong with FF7's ending. I mean, it seemed obvious that Midguard was destroyed but the rest of the world was saved to me.

I remember thinking "So, we stopped jenova, saved the planet and went hippie with that gaia thing, kk can live with that". Sure, it wasn't great, but given how low my ending expectatives have been since mario 2 and how japan was soo into the hippie theme back then (Mononoke hime and stuff) it seemed like a normal dissapointing ending not a bad one.

Also what is this crap about deep choices and roleplaying in my JRPG Chris! If you got into FF VII expecting that i will take a wild guess and say you skipped the six games before and six dragon quest games also... actually i would say you skipped almost ANY JRPG.

I would say that, contextualized, ME 3 is indeed the worst videogame ending ever, NWN 2 gives it a run for it's money. But just taking the ending by itself, it is far from being it.

Dunno, i saw nothing wrong with Final Fantasy VII ending. It was fine for me, the ending made sense.
GTA....well i dont see how its a bad ending, they almeost did the story as a side quest while the whole point of thegame is play in the sandbox.

I would say bioware endings mostly suck, with a few good ones (KOTOR and Dragon Age Origins)

Oh come on... just because a game has an ambiguous ending, that doesn't automatically make it a shit ending.

FF7's ending was supposed to be ambiguous. The whole point is that Square decided not to wrap up every last plot thread nice and neatly for the player, and instead wanted to leave something for different gamers to interpret in their own way. We see Sephiroth die, we see Meteor about to impact the planet, we see the Lifestream appear to step in... and then, five hundred years later, we see the overgrown ruins of Midgar.

The implications of this are crystal clear: Cloud and co managed to successfully defeat Sephiroth and avert the end of the world. After all, life is clearly doing well if its able to reclaim the ruins of a once great city. What happened to Cloud and everyone though? That's for the player to decide. Before Advent Children and all the other fanfiction came along, it was quite clear that the player had to come to their own conclusions about what happened to the party afterwards. And that's absolutely fine. Not every game needs to end with a detailed epilogue detailing where every character went and what they did. FF7 didn't need to. The whole game was about Cloud overcoming his personal issues and dealing with his history with Sephiroth. After the last battle, that's all done. Finito. Put to bed. The main theme of the story has been tucked up and sent to sleep, and everything else is left to the player to interpret. And player interpretation is just as valid a form of storytelling as any other.

Also, I can't believe the-dude-on-the-left got points for whining about FF7 not being a true role-playing game, and not allowing him to roleplay. That is such a shoddy argument.

Firstly, FF7 is widely recognised as one of the definitive JRPGs, a genre prone to more railroading and linearity than other RPG genres. If you're going to whine about a lack of player choices, at least choose something other than the most succesful JRPG on the Playstation.

Secondly, FF7 did allow you to roleplay. The Materia system allowed you to build you characters in any way you wanted. You could make Cloud a Black Mage, a Healer, a Summoner, or one of any thousands of possible choices thanks to the way you could mix and match Materia. And the same could be said of all the main characters in the game. In terms of building your character to your preferred play style, FF7 let you roleplay just fine. Sure, it didn't allow you to make many moral choices, but last I heard, moral choices were not the be-all and end-all definition of roleplaying. Skyrim had fuck-all moral choices, yet that game seems to be regarded as pretty RPG nonetheless.

So yeah, fallacious reasoning and generally poorly thought out points. Not a fan of this one, sorry to say.

The ending of a game can never be discussed on its own merits. How good or bad the ending to anything is depends entirely on how good or bad everything that came before it was. I have never played the final fantasy games, but I am fairly certain that they would in comparison be judget inferior in many aspects to the mass effect trilogy.

Because an average game has a bad or even terrible ending doesn't automatically mean that it's a worse ending than a superb game that had an average ending.

Final Fantasy is from my perspective incredibly terrible at immersing the player into it's world. Much like every other JRPG that has the focus on a story told instead of a world experienced.

Teresa Lass:

I would say bioware endings mostly suck, with a few good ones (KOTOR and Dragon Age Origins)

I won't disagree with you on Dragon Age, but KotoR had one of the worst out of place endings I have ever seen. It's like a different team wrote the damn thing.

So you had to resolve an issue with a beloved party member and it may or may not have been ended well. You come across the antagonist, who blames you for this event. You discuss fate, it's a gloomy setting and a gloomy ending conversation. There are still a lot of questions left unanswered, everything is suddenly so unexpectedly gray, so bittersweet an--CONGRATULATIONS YOU SAVED THE WORLD *que star wars music*. THE EDN.

This episode seemed to be less "Worst Ending Ever" and more "Two endings we wanted to bring up."

As jeffers said above, not every ending has to be a "everything goes full circle" happy wrap-up with an epilogue for every character. Sometimes an abstract ending is what the game calls for. Could anyone imagine Inception with a different ending?

GTA's ending didn't suck as much as the overall storytelling did. With all their games you spend so much did doing crap it's easy to forget there was a story.

And yet ME3 has a worse ending than both.

deth2munkies:

I dunno, I didn't feel nearly as bad as after ME3's ending.

Sure it felt... eehh. But the entire last hour or so as like that. ME3 was like a sudden drop from a 10k feet high mountain.

And didn't they fix the ending in one of the fan mods?

I am totally with Chris on this one. The first RPG I ever played was FF2 on the SNES and that ending was something in the neighborhood of a half hour. Everyone who ever had a brief cameo in the game seemed to get a massive epilogue.

So, when I popped in FF7, I didn't expect such a massive ending. But I did expect some FREAKING CLOSURE!

Also, anyone who is still bitching about the ME3 ending, get over it. I wasn't happy with it, but I've got far more important things to deal with.

How about Prince of Persia 2008?

"What's that, Mass Effect 3? Epilogue DLC? Yeah, we did that before it was cool."

ff7 was deff a bad ending made worse since no one tried to get them to change it w cupcakes

I still think one of the worst endings was Borderlands. Well, maybe not the worst, but I hated it. The game was solid all the way to the vault! I really didn't like that ending boss fight.

Chris: "I've played Mass Effect 3, haven't beaten it yet.. I don't know what happens at the end- I'm already going to disagree."

Me: "..." *Clicks on the X to close the window*

I'm joking, for I watched the whole video and even though Chris and Kyle have made good points about their game... I am going to say Mass Effect 3's ending is still by far the worst in all of gaming history. Here are a few points why-

1) Grand Theft Auto is a sand box game... the people behind that know most who play it aren't into the story nor plot of the game. So they focus primarily on the things you can do around the city, while trying to give some reason as to what's happening if you play through the campaign. The ending of this game is meant to be a joke, to show you're the ultimate 'crook' if that makes sense thus people can continue playing because otherwise who'd want to finish the campaign if it closes on them in a sandbox world?

It'd be like beating the campaign in Skyrim and then not being able to continue developing your character nor playing as that character again thus you have to start over. It would be a bad move on the Developer's part.

2) Final Fantasy 7 is more understanding for people feeling upset about it's ending.. because it leaves a gap thus you do have to see the movie in order to find out what goes down overall. However, I must say this now that the game still ended with a massive victory and closure. I mean, they did save the world from a huge meteor from crushing them all along with the millions of people overall. Sure it wasn't such a justified ending, but really they made up for that in the movie. The movie got everything done 'right' as to how it should of ended plus I loved the movie. Was worth the cash, and we got to spend a longer time with the characters in nice animation along with seeing fighting that could not of been displayed otherwise in the game itself. So a nice feature I would say.

3) Now as for Mass Effect 3's ending... it was just horrible, hollow, and poorly written. *SPOILER ALERT* Yes you beat the Reapers... but unlike FF7 or Grand Theft Auto, this game did not have an ending with closure thus left us with plot holes the size of the sun. Not just that, but the developer Casey Hudson promised us 4 things about ME3 and how the ending will differ on the choices we made in all three games. Well.. the ending threw those choices we've made fly out the window, and each ending is 95% the same expect a different color beam is displayed (red, blue, green...) so yeah besides Bioware breaking all 4 promises I have seen the endings for both games you guys have described and I still cannot bring myself to agree one bit.

Also, FF7 was a long game with the characters you began to enjoy and love from the time being. Now imagine that you had three full games of the same characters that you've invest time and love into bonding with Garrus, Tali, Maranda, Joker, Wrex, ... sticken Anderson. Yeah I learned more about Joker alone then I learned about half the characters in a video game like Soul Calibur 5 which goes into detail about all the characters all the time! Three games, over 200 hours.. and we get an ending that doesn't let us fight for Shepard to survive. He gives into a God Stat Child... ghost which then gets himself killed ether way (doesn't count if you saw him taking a breath, I consider Shepard dead because he's going to stay there wrecked while the galaxy has no more mass relays) yep, relays blow up and then the species on Earth are stuck due to that, thus Shepard's crew ditched Shepard. Some reason, Joker took your crew who 'seemed' like they'd follow you to the end, and crashed on a tropical island. People that I had with me on Earth (Tali, Garrus) ended up on the Normandy even though they got hit by the Reaper's red beam before I reached the Citedal ray of light. That doesn't make any sense.

I apologize for ranting, just... it sort of really brushes me off that the worst ending was on a game that made up for it's mistake and another game that was not meant to be serious.. while this game was all about being a story trilogy to draw you in with emotion, hope, and passion for the characters, for the galaxy.. for Shepard.. who we spent three games progressing and making differences all around all so the ending can destroy all of that. Oh and the free DLC that's going to explain the ending? That's not going to change anything really.. you can polish a turd and hope it turns to gold.. it's just going to be a turd that stands out more (least how I see it.) Not to mention the way Bioware handled their fans is ridiculous. Closing the forum/threads on the fans, telling us "It's art, deal with it. Accept it, you have to it's a rule." when really art is criticized all the time. See.. Mass Effect 3's ending is so bad.. over 90% of the community is outraged. It's bigger then the swarm of fans who got made over Star Wars being changed and edited here and there. So yeah, that is my stand point on this issue.

the fact that FF7 won this episode is completely ridiculous. the ending was exactly as it should have been. Aerith sacrificed herself to summon Holy to defeat Meteor. Its 100% clear. then the time jump showed two things. 1) that Nanaki was still alive and his race was able to repopulate and 2) that people abandoned the technology that was rapidly killing their planet. GTA3 on the other hand, as Kyle pointed out, just ends. the same thing happens in Vice City, inFamous, inFamous 2, etc. the only sandboxes that actually do end are Bethesda games. poor choice on this one Dan. you've made me a saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad panda.

A lot of games have really terrible endings. But a lot of people have mentioned them. Soo let me quote them.

SpartyTheOneManParty:
How about Prince of Persia 2008?

"What's that, Mass Effect 3? Epilogue DLC? Yeah, we did that before it was cool."

And that epilogue cost money.

Daili Lama:
I'd like to make the case for F.E.A.R. 2, where your reward for beating the game is the main character gets raped.

It was disturbing and unwarranted. Really just a bad idea.

esperandote:
Another one, was it soul reaver 2 where Kain escapes?

You mean after he escaped at the end of the first Soul Reaver? I don't know, I didn't play 2, but the ending in 1 sucked a lot.

A few folks mentioned KOTOR 2 which, yeah, was pretty horrible. It's like a Das Boot ending for games.

I was never really of the opinion that fans should 'retake ME3', I just thought the ending was terrible. I didn't really want an epilogue, I would more go for the Fallout 3: Broken Steel treatment, so I don't have to worry about that rushed ending.

I actually like being able to play after a game's ending, so I don't consider that a bad thing.

That said FF VII can't be compared to ME3 largely because FF VII despite being part of a series was a stand alone story, it was not dragged out into multiple games that showed that by all rights the developers should have been able to end it properly. It generated a lot more investment.

What's more FF VII sort of helped pave the way for this, because eventually Square Enix decided they really couldn't just leave things that way. They ended it properly 10 years or so later, for an additional fee, which sucked, but it was more or less them surrendering to something that should have been obvious to begin with.

People realize that Bioware pretty much needs to do the same thing, and what's more should do it NOW instead of making us wait a decade, and then charging us for an ending that we should have gotten to begin with. With Squeenix at least you can justify what they did a little by them waiting so bloody long and having to pretty much assemble a whole team for it. With ME3, Bioware is still together and working with that specific property given their franchise plans. What's more after what happened with FF VII, they should know better.

There is also the issue of the developers, and the fact that they intended for ME3's ending to go down like it did, and intentionally lied about what the ending was going to be. With FF VII no promises were made ahead of time, and I got the impression that the developers didn't really see it coming. What's more, unlike ME3, FF VII was not making any pretensions of giving you choices that were going to matter... where that was part of the entire gimmick behind ME3.

As a result, ME3 does stand as the worst video game ending of all time. All efforts to say otherwise by "No Right Answer" and "GinxTV", ME3 managed to create whole new directions to suck in when you follow the whole issue. I won't say other endings won't suck more, but this is easily the biggest dog turd of an ending that gaming has ever seen.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here