No Right Answer: Worst Videogame Ending Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I propose FF8 for worst ending ever. The beginning was all about countries invading each other and the social implications of people being able to use magic and then everything gets dropped for a time travelling sorceress.

Halo 2. I'm sure someone else is typing this right now but it's worth mentioning. You fight a Prophet in the middle of the game, you fight a Brute Chieftain in the end of the game (which seemed like a step-down and kind of lame) then you get The Chief boarding another Prophet's ship. I'm hyped up at this point and ready for a final level and, another boss. It doesn't even matter if this prophet fights like the last one either...then Chief says we're finishing this Fight and the credits roll. It's like buying a hooker and realizing you've just used your last single right after paying for a lengthy and, not-always-great-but-still-satisfying session of foreplay.

I really think that the anti-climactic, it's-obvious-the-devs-didn't-care-much-about-the-ending of a game like GTA III is LOADS worse than the vague, doesn't-wrap-things-up-neatly ending of a game like FF VII.

I also think that the only reason Chris won is because he's the stronger debater. Kyle really stalled out during the drinking round. Then again, this sort of thing happens a lot, so I'm not really surprised.

End of Evangelion, anyone?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

PROVE ME WRONG, ME3'ers!

You're both wrong. Borderlands had the worst ending of all time. You spent dozens of hours collecting loot and hunting for the vault with the expectation that when you finally open the vault, it's the biggest stash of loot you've seen yet with all of the best shit in the game that you can then carry onto the DLC. Nope. You fight a very very sh***y last boss and then you don't even see the inside of the vault, let along collect a pile of awesome loot. A game all about collecting loot barely has any loot at the end. It's complete BS!

Ah yes FF7, the most overrated anything in the history of anything.

burningdragoon:
That was some pretty masterful trolling in the topic. Ragging on ME3 fans and FF7 fans, awesome.

I thought the FFVII ending was fine :P

Yea... this strikes me as more of a flamebait episode. But you know what? I'm gonna nibble on it a bit.

FF7's ending was fine. The whole point of the "time skip" as people are calling it is to demonstrate that just because you beat the bad guy, the world doesn't go back to sunshine and rainbows where humanity can... keep destroying the planet like it has been with the way Shinra did things.

The point of the ending is that Holy's decision to let Meteor destroy Midgar (but not the rest of the world) was actually for the better. It was the "Go Green" before Go Green was a thing ending. And best of all, it was a different ending than every preceding FF game at that point in time. Advent Children gave FF7 an epilogue more than anything (and sadly that's when Square Enix caved to the notion that Cloud should be emo.)

deth2munkies:

Soviet Heavy:

deth2munkies:
Oh come on, no mention of KotOR 2? That ending was way worse. You get a maybe text dump with a visual of what happens 2 seconds after you kill the final boss then nothing, all from a CHARACTER BASED, STORY DRIVEN GAME.

Hey now, at least it told you the eventual fates of your characters and didn't dump them into an inbred colony.

Plus, the Restoration Mod makes the endgame much better.

It only gave you that if you were light side and didn't just kill the final boss immediately.

Thats because if you go dark side you reactivate the weapon that originally destroyed Malcor V and kills everyone but you.

Also I played it on my Xbox and knew what happened to all the characters without the restoration mod. I don't understand.

Slycne:

deth2munkies:
Oh come on, no mention of KotOR 2? That ending was way worse. You get a maybe text dump with a visual of what happens 2 seconds after you kill the final boss then nothing, all from a CHARACTER BASED, STORY DRIVEN GAME.

And yet it's still better than Neverwinter Night 2.

Aaaaaand smash cut to incompetent voice over. Couldn't even get "THE FROZEN NORTH" guy to come back for the epilogue. Had to make do with Steve from Accounting.

There are two full games worth of the aftermath though, so that's good.

Alone in the Dark 2008 has two terrible endings

I actually thought the ending to Grand Theft Auto III was pretty funny. You're kind of just walking away with Maria and then suddenly Claude realises what he has done and thinks "Why did I save you? You're actually really fucking annoying." *bang*

You'll change your tune when you finish ME3 - but that said, yeah, the FFVII ending... something of a let-down, but there wasn't any illusion of being off the rails of the track of plot, it was a JRPG of the old school and that was expected. When the same thing is unexpected, it's worse.

Didn't play GTA so couldn't really compare.

As much as I love KotOR II as a whole, I have to jump in with the people who say that was the worst ending. not Obsidian's fault (which is the saving grace, I guess), but just awful.

As usual, Dan wins. His contributions to the debate were more compelling than anything Chris or Kyle offered. But then again, the odds are stacked in his favor.

Obviously, FFVII is more of a failure as an ending because FFVII is all about the story. When a story has a bad ending it really sticks out. GTA3 of the other hand was a free-form hooker murder simulator. The fact that it's story had a bad ending takes a back seat to the revelation that it had a story.

Slycne:

deth2munkies:

And yet it's still better than Neverwinter Night 2.

Hey the evil ending was pretty rad.

Errr SPOILERS!

You kill your entire team, team up with the big evil, and you make a huge army of undead and start taking over the world.

In fact I thought it was cool that if you chose evil, the last boss was your entire party. Just a neat way to change things up.

But ya, the good ending was mighty weak.

SpartyTheOneManParty:
How about Prince of Persia 2008?

"What's that, Mass Effect 3? Epilogue DLC? Yeah, we did that before it was cool."

LOL!

But that was totally unfair since the epilogue DLC didn't fucking finish the story either. That was by far the worst ending ever. They had two chances to do it right and they didn't.

windlenot:
I still think one of the worst endings was Borderlands. Well, maybe not the worst, but I hated it. The game was solid all the way to the vault! I really didn't like that ending boss fight.

*Assuming that nobody in this thread is really expecting it to be spoiler free*

Yeah, given that the characters were willing to do basically anything for anyone who could write a note so that they could get inside of the Vault, the fact that they failed makes all the running around seem really pointless.

I always thought that FF7 was a story about people's reliance on technology to the point that it was hurting/killing the earth and then the epilogue of grass growing over a city that once was the epicenter of advanced technology was their way of saying "and then after what cloud and friends did, the earth got back to a healthy place".

The hero's save the world in a fairly unique (especially at the time) way. Honestly, what more can you ask of a video game? that's about as good of an ending as you can ask for. Sure, the movie might have fleshed it out a little more but then again, was it needed? we already know the earth is saved. we already know the lifestream is on its slow process of healing or whatever. it might have given fans more time with beloved characters, but it didn't add any new insight on the theme of the story as a whole. once again, that was done in the game itself.

Well, at least I liked the ending of GTA III's story... But maybe that's just because I like blowing things up...
And I love the way sandboxes let you mess around in the sandbox after the plot has ended.

The point about Sandbox game endings is made invalid by Red Dead Redemption, a (Rockstar) sandbox game that had a great ending, but still managed to continue withe the sandbox after the resolution of the story, but in a way that fit thematically with that resolution.

I now present the worst ending in Video Game History!

And I give you the worst ending ever:

you get the princess but she just sends you on an endless loop. It's like being trapped in limbo.

Chris is wrong. First: Final Fantasy VII is a JRPG, and as such, is driven by a canon story you cannot change, some JRPGS actually give you choices that affect the ending (Suikoden I and II for instance, although some of those choices are given to you at the very ending), but not all, in fact the previous Final Fantasy games did not. Second... if you follow the story you can tell what happens in the end. *SPOILER ALERT* The gang defeats Sephiroth, but Meteor is still crashing down on earth (ok, Gaia) but the planet defends itself with the Lifestream, only that's not enough, and Aeris, right before getting killed summons Holy (the materia she had on her hair tied with a ribbon, the one her mother gave her, the one we see fall with Aeris in her *sorta* funeral) and so Holy, combined with the Lifestream stop meteor. After the credits we see Midgar abandonned and filled with vegetation 500 years later. This could mean a couple of things according to interpretation. It's not that important really. Besides... Nanaki's species survives despite him being the last of them, so it looks like a happy ending at least.

If you want a dumb ending for a game (and you're looking in the FF series) I would recomend FF VIII's ending... that one is reeeeeeally dumb and doesn't make any sense at all... it's just weird stuff happening (nicely rendered weird stuff) that has no connection with anything

I don't know why it double posted, edited. BTW is there a way to delete a post?

Chris is wrong. He says he has a problem with the ending because it does not adequately explain what happened. Well, guess what: that's called ambiguity and in fiction it's generally considered to be a good thing. You are not precisely told what happened, but you are given an idea and whatever you think happened is how the story ends in your mind. To say that it's a bad ending because of that is to be like the idiots who are poring through the production documents of Inception to find out whether or not the spin stops at the ending. It's not important, because there isn't supposed to be a definitive answer, and that's the point.

Imagine that there's an Inception sequel that explains without any leeway whether or not the previous movie's ending is a dream or not. Most people would hate it and call it a cash grab, probably rightly. That's exactly what Advent Children is: a cash grab that has no respect for the original ending and just wants to make more money. I'm not sure why gamers are the only media consumers who demand that everything be explained to them: that's a stupid, self-defeating way of thinking that leads only to make sure games with proper symbolysm and subtext are never made.

Since everyone is talking about ME3, here's a parallel: I've seen people flat out reject Indocrination Theory because 'Bioware has to say it's canon'. That's not how it works, dudes! Once a work is released, the author's analysis of it has no more say than the fanbase's, because a work has to stand on its own. If the work supports the theory, then Bioware saying it's not true does not change the fact that it's plausible and therefore a valid interpretation. That's what made me so angry about Retakers: not that they didn't like the ending, but that they departed from the assumption that they had to force Bioware to make a new ending, when in fact any ending they created themselves was exactly was valid as the canon one under any theory for the study of creative works.

Kyle, on the other end, is also wrong. GTAIII was the first game to mesh true sandbox and at least a pretension of narrative, so it should get a pass as the devs were technically testing the waters to see what works and what didn't. Plus GTAIII was about some lowlife scum running around and killing hookers (hoooraay!) so what should change in the city once he finishes killing some people he didn't like? I hated GTAIV, but it did have an ending that had some finality for those who were playing for the story, without preventing them from continuing on the gameplay. On the other hand. Fallout 3 had an ending that was certainly final but gamers hated it. (I didn't - it happened to be an excellent ending for my character, who was a goody two-shoes and didn't have anyone on her party who could have done the deed for her, but were you playing an evil character who had a robot and a mutant for sidekicks I'd understand how it doesn't fit in.)

So if both are wrong, who wins? Dan. Dan always wins. Woooo Dan!

I dunno, I think the ending to Pac-Man is much worse than either of those. No character development, and you are just left with the feeling that you just put $30 worth of coins into a machine.

Mmm I don' mind the GTA III ending, the ending to The Mafia II is .. well.. worse and better. Better as it tells a really good story worse as.. you can't play anymore. Its done :(

But there are so many nice cars to drive still.. at least with GTA III you get you know lets go on.

Now Final Fantasy, mmm well.. what can one say about pure sang JRPG's.. you don't have a choice anyway. So really I don't feel FF VII was that bad just yeah lack. Hey JRPG! And with Final Fantasy VIII, yup 8, the plot was so dense with time travel.. it didn't matter anymore.

Now what JRPG actually didn't go all bonkers mad at the end anyway.. how many did go into time travel, time compression, "you are the son of the evil" or better "you heroes did my evil work" ..

Meh bad endings so many options, how about "your winner" yeah or "congratulations for playing this game.."

What is worst how does one define it? If it tells a really good story and then ends up with a rather lame choice of ends or just one rather lame ending.

A game without an ending anyway?

A game that is like lets say.. mmm "you all died" as they put it in NWN.. lovely. Or how about Fable III, oh boy ... nobody cared. Oh sure you are "the hero" .. but the game was so easy that your victory was hollow.

The Random One:
Chris is wrong. He says he has a problem with the ending because it does not adequately explain what happened. Well, guess what: that's called ambiguity and in fiction it's generally considered to be a good thing. You are not precisely told what happened, but you are given an idea and whatever you think happened is how the story ends in your mind. To say that it's a bad ending because of that is to be like the idiots who are poring through the production documents of Inception to find out whether or not the spin stops at the ending. It's not important, because there isn't supposed to be a definitive answer, and that's the point.

Imagine that there's an Inception sequel that explains without any leeway whether or not the previous movie's ending is a dream or not. Most people would hate it and call it a cash grab, probably rightly. That's exactly what Advent Children is: a cash grab that has no respect for the original ending and just wants to make more money. I'm not sure why gamers are the only media consumers who demand that everything be explained to them: that's a stupid, self-defeating way of thinking that leads only to make sure games with proper symbolysm and subtext are never made.

Since everyone is talking about ME3, here's a parallel: I've seen people flat out reject Indocrination Theory because 'Bioware has to say it's canon'. That's not how it works, dudes! Once a work is released, the author's analysis of it has no more say than the fanbase's, because a work has to stand on its own. If the work supports the theory, then Bioware saying it's not true does not change the fact that it's plausible and therefore a valid interpretation. That's what made me so angry about Retakers: not that they didn't like the ending, but that they departed from the assumption that they had to force Bioware to make a new ending, when in fact any ending they created themselves was exactly was valid as the canon one under any theory for the study of creative works.

Kyle, on the other end, is also wrong. GTAIII was the first game to mesh true sandbox and at least a pretension of narrative, so it should get a pass as the devs were technically testing the waters to see what works and what didn't. Plus GTAIII was about some lowlife scum running around and killing hookers (hoooraay!) so what should change in the city once he finishes killing some people he didn't like? I hated GTAIV, but it did have an ending that had some finality for those who were playing for the story, without preventing them from continuing on the gameplay. On the other hand. Fallout 3 had an ending that was certainly final but gamers hated it. (I didn't - it happened to be an excellent ending for my character, who was a goody two-shoes and didn't have anyone on her party who could have done the deed for her, but were you playing an evil character who had a robot and a mutant for sidekicks I'd understand how it doesn't fit in.)

So if both are wrong, who wins? Dan. Dan always wins. Woooo Dan!

You're damn right I always win!

deth2munkies:

This has been fixed by modders who restored the original ending intended by the developers before their game was rushed to hit Christmas by Lucasarts. Give it a go some time, it's pretty good, I mean don't get me wrong it's still rough as it had to be shoe horned in, but it's much more satisfying and actually varies. Crazy part is it actually uses some files that shipped intact with the game but were just deactivated.

About this video: I couldn't disagree more about Final Fantasy VII's ending, it's vagueness held an epic power to it, and I feel that in the end that story wasn't about winning or losing it was about what a small part humanity really has in the nature of the world, hence the overgrown Midgar with no signs of life. However, I suppose I can see how the small minded might not grasp this concept (I figured this out when I was 10, so if you're an adult and you still don't get it... geeze), which is why they put out fucking Advent Children, to show you that: Yes, humanity won and Shinra lost, Yes, Holy saved the world, yes, Tifa still has tits.

Also, it's a fucking JRPG, of course there wasn't any Role-playing, just a stat system, it's been that way since Dragon Warrior. Fucking duh.

I don't really consider Mass Effect to have any role-playing, as your options are as follows: Good Guy Greg, Douchebag Steve, Socially Awkward Penguin... Oh wait, I guess you get to decide which Alien you want to fuck, yeah, role play the shit out of that.

I have never seen GTA 3 used as a bad example for anything. There was really nothing particularly offensive about that ending, it wasn't a story-driven game, and honestly, if you had emotional investment in your no-name bitch of a character, you're quite silly.

Human Revolution had a much more appropriate comparison.

Super Mario Bros 2

It's always the first thought that comes to mind when I think worst ending ever. That game's ending is less fulfilling than the generic 'Congratulations' screen or 'Game Over' screens of yesteryear.

I thought that Kyle had the better argument there.

Grand Theft Auto 3 not only sucked, but it sucked in a way that influenced a bunch of other games as well. At least final fantasy had the dignity to die and not pollute other games while it did so.

Obligatory ME3 reference:

That ending made me want to punch my television. I felt as if my time had been wasted across 3, 30 hour games.

Aside from ME3, I must give the award to shitty ending to KoToR 2. I got the darkside ending, and I still have no idea what the hell happened.

SpartyTheOneManParty:
How about Prince of Persia 2008?

"What's that, Mass Effect 3? Epilogue DLC? Yeah, we did that before it was cool."

And because I played that on PC I still haven't had the chance to play it, fuck you ubisoft.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here