Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill: Downpour

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Silent Hill: Downpour

A step in the right direction for survival combat and exploration but Silent Hill: Downpour fails at the horror half of survival horror.

Watch Video

Is it just me or does Yahtzee review Silent Hill games way too often?

TheYeIIowDucK:

He's done what, two? He reviews games that come out, and Silent Hill games come out. Besides, he loved Silent Hill 2.

So instead of a raging stiffy I guess Downpour just gave your a halfer eh?

Also, lawl on messing up the BBC Code.

"I'm not that much of a whore!"

LIAR!

SH: Downpour: Good execution, all she needs to do is stick the fear landing aaaaand... Her legs fell off before she hit the mat...

TheYeIIowDucK:

Yup. Just you.

yeah the monster designs in this game sucks

homecoming had better monster designs and no one but me liked that game

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Silent Hill: Downpour

A step in the right direction for survival combat and exploration but [/i]Silent Hill: Downpour[/i] fails at the horror half of survival horror.

Watch Video

I'm glad to hear about a game moving in the right direction on the survival part of survival horror. I'd argue it's the more important element of the two, really. If you're not fighting to survive, you're not going to be scared by much of anything, but when your survival is at stake, nearly anything can become scary...

Just tired of Monster Hunting Games masquerading as "survival horror."

Really its beyond time that we stopped silent hill, its rather amazing that it had 3 good games at all, I mean its a horror game, or it should be and the thing about horror is that familiarity breeds..... not horror. Get the dudes together who made the first 3 games and put them in a room till they make some other horror game.

i hope he reviews Asuras wrath next

TheYeIIowDucK:

Its probably because they keep releasing them way too often.

There was some horror here, it's gone now.

What is it with Yahtzee and english jokes?
All we need is a joke about Milton Keynes and we'll have the set.

It sounds like he was really trying to get into it and I don't blame him.

Also, I kinda liked Silent Hill Origins, I guess I'm in the minority.

I'd like Yahtzee to take a look at Lone Survivor, an indie horror game Jim Sterling described as "More Silent Hill than Silent Hill".

http://www.lonesurvivor.co.uk/

TheYeIIowDucK:

You mean, when they come out?

I am surprised to hear him say positive things about this game since from what I have seen from other reviews there's been a lot of negative things that have been mentioned. Still his general opinion of the game seemed to indicate that he didn't like it very much so *I think I might give this one a miss.

nin_ninja:

TheYeIIowDucK:

He's done what, two? He reviews games that come out, and Silent Hill games come out. Besides, he loved Silent Hill 2.

Actually 5. But as you put it, he loved Silent Hill 2 (so did Jim Sterling) so they tend to review each and every one out there. Fine by me. I still like the games. I just watch for entertainment after I beat the game.

porpoise hork:

Its probably because they keep releasing them way too often.

Eight games in 13 years isn't bad. I think its a nice rate.

Cyrus Hanley:

I'm surprised he didn't mention any of the technical issues.

Yea... that was the hard part for me. The slow down because of the constant auto save. The game actually saves about once every ten seconds.

TheYeIIowDucK:

No.

Yopaz:
I am surprised to hear him say positive things about this game since from what I have seen from other reviews there's been a lot of negative things that have been mentioned. Still his general opinion of the game seemed to indicate that he didn't like it very much so *I think I might give this one a miss.

I'm surprised he didn't mention any of the technical issues.

Holy shit, i was going to buy this game reluctantly now im going to buy it mildly optimistic.

I didn't pick up Downpour during that whole "Month of Madness" thing the Konomi kept ragging on about, instead I picked up the HD Collection which I'm perfectly happy with.
I Still Plan on getting Downpour at some point but probably not until a price drop.

Good review, funny as usual, but can you please do a video on Kid Icarus Uprising. I bet it will be a very funny review.

A map. Wow, it's... it's been a while, I'll admit. I haven't drawn a map for years. Yesh... I... I don't even remember the game... Well, maybe this game might be a good introduction into the Silent Hill series for me, but saying that makes me generally pessimistic about the odds of it...

Did anyone notice the [/i]Silent Hill: Downpour[/i] in the description?

Yatzee27:
Did anyone notice the [/i]Silent Hill: Downpour[/i] in the description?

Yes, I did.

And this guy, too.

*Reads the credits.* Don't worry Yahtzee it's apparently common to miss Silent Hill's map at the start of the game, at the petrol station. Currently watching the 'Two Best Friends' Lets Play of it. Much better than playing the game myself. Did you happen to miss the Flashlight at the beginning as well?

TheYeIIowDucK:

I think it just seems that way because he mentions Silent Hill 2 every three reviews or so.

Jim and Yahtzee both seem to dislike the way this franchise is going.

Am I the only person who doesn't mind the monster designs? I kind of like them.

DVS BSTrD:
There was some horror here, it's gone now.

Maybe it fell down that hole?

It's weird im watching "two best friends" play through this and their views are the exact oppisit.

So in summary, Downpour is.....not bad? Not surprised that Yahtzee didn't shit all over it like a springbreaker the day after a return from Mexico but all other reviews just ooze disappointment. Still on the fence. I may get around to it eventually.

Hey yahtzee wasnt the thing with who is the murderer THE RESON why you didnt like Heavy Rain ?
The thing with the plot staying the same I mean .
And the goal of Murphy is to get out of SH

I'm surprised that you really liked this one,somewhat,Yahtzee.

And yes,you should marry Silent Hill 2 already.

It'll be a beautiful wedding, bridesmaids all in disfigured nurse outfits, Pyramid Head as the best man, and a 4 legged mannequin as the ringbearer.

Marry Silent Hill 2. You know you want to, the temptation...it's too much, isn't it?

Never played a Silent Hill game. Was gonna get the HD Collection but from what I've seen of its quality, I am glad I didn't. Tempted to pick up an old PS2 and find Silent Hill 2 cheap, though.

Great review as always, you and Jim Sterling have a lot in common, which is not a bad thing as Jim is a God.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here