GinxTV: Top 5 Worst Endings

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Top 5 Worst Endings

If you thought Mass Effect 3's ending was bad, check out some of these other games.

Watch Video

That was both relevant and interesting. Good job.

PS: "I will always be at your side" - hilarious.

I remember the Ghostbusters and Mario endings, they are indeed, very terrible.
Some time ago I read about the ending of Bionic Commando, and I thought that they had to be joking. Guess that it's an ending that befits such a terrible title.

Let's see when the time comes that developers start hiring real writers instead of having their QA team write for them.

Hmmm, well I think "ME3" deserves worst of all time because pretty much all of those games were stand alones, and don't have the sheer depth of storytelling and investment behind them that went into ME3 and it's let down of an ending.

See, none of those games can match playing through 3 games with that story, and that degree of anticipation, with a quality that makes it clear that they should be able to end it in a satisfactory way to end with.... well by now we all know what.

In the case of those games your dealing with situations where they really weren't doing any writing to begin with (Mario Brothers, which existed at a time when most games were expected to flip over if you got to the final level), or the game itself was lacking to begin with, as is the case with "Bionic Commando". Ghostbusters as a franchise tie in, and those are generally never expected to be good (even then). "Rage" represents the most legitimate comparison because with everything that game had going on for it, and the pedigree of it's design team, the ending was lacking beyond belief.

The ghostbusters one is funny just because of the errors but I think a lot of games from the NES era had similar endings as that and Mario, you weren't going to get a big cutscene or anything for most of them.

If you want endings that made people mad, there's still Halo 2 which pissed people off who didn't know it was going to end in a cliffhanger. Or there was Clive Barker's Jericho, which also ends in a cliffhanger because they were so sure the game would sell (it didn't). Not just a cliffhanger though, but during the final cutscene half your team is simply incinerated with no build-up and you don't even get to fight the boss you've been chasing the whole time, he himself gets killed I believe by the Antichrist figure he's been trying to summon. Last one I can think of off-hand is Far Cry 2 where no matter what you do, your character dies either holding off an army or shooting themselves in the head, which might have been really touching and moving, if the entire story didn't consist of the beginning and ending cutscenes with everything in between being interchangeable side missions and your character never having meaningful interactions with anyone.

How is the end to Mario worse than Ghost Recon?.. Other than it being a joke.

They may be worse endings than ME3, but they're not nearly as dissapointing.

..on second thought, the RAGE ending was immensely bad. I suddenly remember how I felt the rage when I finished it. *shudders*

Clearly, nobody even played The Sims: Bustin' Out for the Game Boy Advance.

I've gotta give EA mad props for this one. Not only did they blatantly rip off the ending to one of the best-known movies of all time, but they somehow managed to completely destroy it with the most pointless and inane plot twist they could think of, AND make a shaggy dog story out of it afterwards.

Then again, I'm not sure this should count, because I'm about 95% sure they were trolling players on purpose. In spite of the ending, it was still a fun game and a good waste of a few days.

P.S. Thanks

So, the ending to Bionic Commando was basically a masturbation joke?
That's...kind of awesome, actually.

If we're going NES, then the Western translation of Karnov deserves to be up there, more than SMB and probably more than Ghostbusters. "Congratulations! Game Over"
Made worse by the fact that the Japanese original had THREE endings, ALL of which were hacked out.

Really?

Mario Brothers?

Worse than Dark Void?

haha! wow those really are some terrible endings ffff
great job!

MC K-Mac:

I lol'd

It has to be said, there are many endings out there objectively worse than ME3. However, I don't think there's been an ending quite as anti-climactic as ME3, which I think is the real problem.

I really think you shouldn't count NES games in this list, because they were simpler games. You didn't invest in the characters and there wasn't much of a story. The Ghostbusters one gets a pass for calling itself a "great game" despite being fecal matter in digital form, but I can't agree to the Mario one.

Besides, no. None of these are worse than Mass Effect 3. These endings feel empty, lazy and nonsensical, but at least they don't completely obliterate the main characters, the villains and the game's universe.

There are tons and tons of games with more horrible endings than ME3. And being one of the few on this site that actually likes the ending for ME3 I love this video.

MC K-Mac:

It is a shame, that there is no "like" button.

And screw you Peach! You can stay in another castle.

Does anyone actually watch these "Ginx" videos?

Mygaffer:

They are getting better.

They fail to mention that the only music that plays for the majority of the Ghostbusters game is that 8 bit version of the theme song. By the time you finish, you are very much done hearin that theme.

Super Mario Bros. YES. Worst ending ever. Here's why:
1) Scale - it was probably seen by more people than any video game ending ever, as it was the ending to the game that came pre-packaged with the NES, which was one of the most widely held consoles ever. Yes, Playstation and some handhelds sold more, but they either weren't sold with a single game included or with ones that couldnt be won (tetris) - most kids could win Mario with a little time and effort so most of the 62 Million who had the console saw that terrible non-ending.

2) Influence - NES and Super Mario basically defined the dawn of the true video game era that continues to this day. For the seminal masterpiece of video gaming to have such a terrible ending casts a shadow of imense proportion.

3) Let Down - What was the point of it all? I didn't need a Mario/Peach wedding, a flash-forward "where are they now" or even a Metroid-style strip show, but just a simple "THE END" would have given some sense of accomplishment and finality to it all. Yes, I BEAT THE GAME. Instead they just dump you back at the beginning as if you hadn't fireballed a single koopa or dodged a single bullet-bill. It was particularly galling because every castle ending up until then had done the same thing, leaving a bread-crumb trail that led to......another damn restart. If that was all I got for my effort I might as well have stopped playing after castle 1-4 and called it a day.

Red Dead Revolver is on my list of terrible endings. Murdering an old retired cop, yeah he was a jerk, but he was right to demand that Marston bring in his gang and I can see why the army eventually went after him.

But it was downhill before that, giving up the bounty hunter life to become a bloody farmer... then your asshat son taking over. Oh... god... I haven't 100% many games but in RDR I have truly regretted it.

ghostbusters is PIMP

that music totally makes up for it.

I think after gunning down countless people in CoD, the game should end with the same screen (and music!) You have prooved the justice of our culture!

Mygaffer:

I think the series had a rough start, but I rather like this one.

Dreadjaws:
I really think you shouldn't count NES games in this list, because they were simpler games. You didn't invest in the characters and there wasn't much of a story. The Ghostbusters one gets a pass for calling itself a "great game" despite being fecal matter in digital form, but I can't agree to the Mario one.

I agree. NES era games just didn't have big flashy endings, so except for Ghostbusters, I think NES era games should be exempt from this list; Ghostbusters' ending was bad even by NES era standards. Also a few other exemptions (as in they were bad even by the standards of the era) from the NES era:
- Contra Force aka Arc Hound

Yes you read that right, it says The situations is still unresolved and the guy you were looking for is still missing!

MC K-Mac:

That was pretty much my first though, or something along those lines.

Also obligatory "bah, you kids have it good", back in my day you were lucky to get a few lines of text telling you you had won. SWIV was my favourite though, at least it had some humour in it. Now that you had beaten the big bad invaders you were no longer needed and were out of a job, "your P45 is in the post" as they said.

I don't understand the rage over Rage actually. I mean, sure it would have been nifty if the end after activating all the hibernation pod thingys was you pilfering the Authority's supply of alcohol and drinking it on the base wall as the sun set but otherwise the ending was pretty decent. The ending being the button press. The lack of a boss fight does ruin the final act however.

It's reasons like that why I'm so unbelievably glad that I played through RAGE entirely because a friend left it at my house for a couple of days, such an underwhelming final battle: shoot some monkeys with a gun that has a habit of giving you epilepsy before pushing a button and watching an inconsequential cutscene, still, better than ending the game on the memories of a bridge so riddled with pop in you can turn around and think you've stumbled into Mario64.

See, all these games at least had conflict leading up to their big anti-climax. You want good examples of games with worse endings, cue Ultima 8 or 9.

Covarr:
Clearly, nobody even played The Sims: Bustin' Out for the Game Boy Advance.

I've gotta give EA mad props for this one. Not only did they blatantly rip off the ending to one of the best-known movies of all time, but they somehow managed to completely destroy it with the most pointless and inane plot twist they could think of, AND make a shaggy dog story out of it afterwards.

Then again, I'm not sure this should count, because I'm about 95% sure they were trolling players on purpose. In spite of the ending, it was still a fun game and a good waste of a few days.

P.S. Thanks

I had that game! 'twas awesome when I was a kid , the sequel The Urbz for DS shows that the rocket crash landed on the roof of a building in a new city and thats where the game starts.

Is Rage's really any worse than ME 3? Both could be summarized as "you make everything blow up." While it's true that ME 3 gives us the r/g/b option I don't think that really counts for anything here.

Mygaffer:

If the title looks interesting (this is my second or third). I'm not really impressed so far, but I'll still probably watch the next time I see an interesting title.

People should just accept by now that Princess Peach is a user, Mario is the bitch-boy that runs her errands and whenever she's kidnapped she's having hot hate sex with Bowser.

I haven't seen any evidence so far that disproves my interpretation of the series.

Id propose a new 4th place because in Rage and Bionics Commando, things happen as a result of your actions. The cell shaded Prince of Persia though? Literally, the game ends with everyone in the EXACT same position as the beginning. You could storywise not play the game and there would bo no noticeable differences in the sequal. What's more, you as the player are forced to undo all your actions. In slow and painful detail. Its like a child drawing a beautiful picture of a bunny, and an adult giving them a pair of sisors and demanding that they chop of its fuzzy little ears, its button nose, its puffy tail, and then taking the pieces and without a word, throwing them away while leaving the room, and slamming the door on the child's stunned silence.

i can beat the "the end"for lazy endings.. syndicate.. the original one. you get.. the credits. thats it

Xanadu84:
Id propose a new 4th place because in Rage and Bionics Commando, things happen as a result of your actions. The cell shaded Prince of Persia though? Literally, the game ends with everyone in the EXACT same position as the beginning. You could storywise not play the game and there would bo no noticeable differences in the sequal. What's more, you as the player are forced to undo all your actions. In slow and painful detail. Its like a child drawing a beautiful picture of a bunny, and an adult giving them a pair of sisors and demanding that they chop of its fuzzy little ears, its button nose, its puffy tail, and then taking the pieces and without a word, throwing them away while leaving the room, and slamming the door on the child's stunned silence.

Didn't Ubi then release a better ending for consoles owners?

I'm going to be that guy...

Still better endings than Mass Effect.

Most of these games were not good so no one expected the endings to be good. Everyone expected that the ending to ME would be epic. That is the difference.

cefm:
Super Mario Bros. YES. Worst ending ever. Here's why:
1) Scale - it was probably seen by more people than any video game ending ever, as it was the ending to the game that came pre-packaged with the NES, which was one of the most widely held consoles ever. Yes, Playstation and some handhelds sold more, but they either weren't sold with a single game included or with ones that couldnt be won (tetris) - most kids could win Mario with a little time and effort so most of the 62 Million who had the console saw that terrible non-ending.

2) Influence - NES and Super Mario basically defined the dawn of the true video game era that continues to this day. For the seminal masterpiece of video gaming to have such a terrible ending casts a shadow of imense proportion.

3) Let Down - What was the point of it all? I didn't need a Mario/Peach wedding, a flash-forward "where are they now" or even a Metroid-style strip show, but just a simple "THE END" would have given some sense of accomplishment and finality to it all. Yes, I BEAT THE GAME. Instead they just dump you back at the beginning as if you hadn't fireballed a single koopa or dodged a single bullet-bill. It was particularly galling because every castle ending up until then had done the same thing, leaving a bread-crumb trail that led to......another damn restart. If that was all I got for my effort I might as well have stopped playing after castle 1-4 and called it a day.

Your wrong on all points.

Scale: Yes, the game is very widely known. Everyone in gaming has at least heard of the series if not the specific game. However, that doesn't mean everyone has played or beaten that particular entry in the series. Massively more people have played through Mass Effect 3 already then will ever finish Super Mario brothers.

Influence: Yes, Mario has had a massive influence on gaming as a whole. The ending? Probably not so much. Again, not nearly that many people have seen the ending to that particular game first hand (not the series, the game). It's also fairly obvious that that ending style has NOT had a lasting impact on gaming as a whole. We don't see text based non-resolution as the default ending anymore, so it obviously didn't stick.

Let down: Honestly do you really expect much from Mario's ending? It's an excuse plot from beginning to end, never once does it BEGIN to make sense, so why would the ending be any difference. It's like complaining about the ending of pong or some other similarly story-free game. Mario's plot was never important. The best they could have done would be to make the boss itself memorable, but then the original Mario games were focused on the level leading up to the boss, with the boss being almost a footnote easier then certain regular enemies, so even that is to be expected to be rather weak.

Mass effect 3 is worse then that and every other game on the list. It's scale is MASSIVE. Gaming has only gained in popularity, and unlike NES titles, people are actually expected to see the ending (they don't call it Nintendo hard for nothing). The key factor for something to be a let down is the build up. If your expectations are low, you will never be disappointed. Mass effects plot has some of the biggest build up in video game history, so naturally the let down is even bigger. Influence is already becoming apparent in forms like retake mass effect but the long term has yet to be seen. I expect much, hopefully something positive to fly in the face of this failure rather then following suit.

Finally, I don't think acceptance is the direction we should go. If anything, we should continue to show just how much we REFUSE to accept this crap any longer. To do anything else would be to show the industry it is OK to continue with it.

Don Reba:

Xanadu84:

Didn't Ubi then release a better ending for consoles owners?

If they did, id be interested in seeing it. Got a link?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here