Escape to the Movies: Detention & Lockout

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Detention & Lockout

On a slow week MovieBob takes a look at some of the other movies out there.

Watch Video

Motorcycle kung fu, eh?

Might check Torque out (yes, I know how old the movie is).

Torque is an awesome movie, and you know it. :lol:

Getting acquainted with Fez even if the designer of it is a flaming prick that made comments bordering on racist with the Japanese games industry. Anyway slow week, but at times ya need a break.

To bad about Lockout being cut-back. I wouldn't have figured an R-rated action movie would be such a hard...

*puts on sunglasses*

...Cell

Archie the movie...

Indeed, that would pull in big money. And it might be fun to watch too :3

Sis:
Torque is an awesome movie, and you know it. :lol:

I know about that movie is that is has chicks doing motorcycle kung-fu.
There's probably more to it but that Harley matters.

What about "The Three Stooges" didn't that come out last week?

I saw the European cut of Lockout here in the UK and it's not all that. It's probably better in a lot of respects than Fortress 2, but it suffers because I'm no longer 12 years old. Losing the violence (most of which is pretty mild) would make it completely pointless though.

Kill List, on the other hand, is fucking awesome. I'm still shaken by it, and it's months since I saw it.

If the Juno chick gets killed I'm in for Detention.

Cause seriously fuck that movie.

Also Hey Bob how do you feel about the "Escape from New York" remake?

This may as well be a Detention review seeing how Lockout only took 1/3 of the video but yet again it seen you pretty much said all you want for Detention.
So is next week review will be The Avengers?

Whoever owns the movie rights to Archie, I'm just glad he has decided he doesn't want or need millions of dollars. The last thing I want to see is an Archie movie. ...EVER.

Anyway that Detention movie actually looks somewhat interesting.

ElektroNeko:
Archie the movie...

If they did an Archie movie like the Brady Bunch movie, it would be hilarious. Juxtaposing idyllic 50s culture against modern sensibilities.

When I heard that comment about Fez, I knew it wouldn't be too long before SOMEONE criticized you for daring to buy it because THAT GUY IS A RACIST BWAAAAAAH. And I was right: fourth comment in and it has already started.

Seriously people, the guy that made Megaman said the exact same thing... and he's JAPANESE. Guess he must be racist too huh?

Saying that most modern Japanese games suck is not racist. The guy that asked Fish the question got an honest answer, one which you can debate freely: I personally think that there's a lot of awesome stuff that comes out of Japan. But saying that Fish is racist because he has an opinion you don't like or agree with adds nothing to the discussion.

scotth266:
When I heard that comment about Fez, I knew it wouldn't be too long before SOMEONE criticized you for daring to buy it because THAT GUY IS A RACIST BWAAAAAAH. And I was right: fourth comment in and it has already started.

Seriously people, the guy that made Megaman said the exact same thing... and he's JAPANESE. Guess he must be racist too huh?

Saying that most modern Japanese games suck is not racist. The guy that asked Fish the question got an honest answer, one which you can debate freely: I personally think that there's a lot of awesome stuff that comes out of Japan. But saying that Fish is racist because he has an opinion you don't like or agree with adds nothing to the discussion.

Hideo Kojima's been saying it for years as well.

ElektroNeko:
Archie the movie...

youve never seen the live action Archie TV show. That was depressing.

Betty is a small school teacher in an abusive relationship, Jughead is divorced and lacks a relation with his son, Veronica is a 4 time divorced sex addict, Reggie I think is dead, it all happens on the anniversary of their high school graduation, Veronica and Betty are messing up Archie's life by trying to have sex with him, and Archie is about to be married, and start a new job as a big time Lawyer. Also Jughead's son tells him he cant dance or sing, despite being in a band at one point.

scotth266:

You mean Keiji Inafune? He didn't say the same thing; he said the Japanese industry was falling behind and offered reasons why. All Fish said was, "I'm sorry, Japanese games industry, but your games are f*cking terrible."

Want a direct quote? Here you go:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-07-fez-creator-phil-fish-declares-modern-japanese-games-just-suck

"I'm sorry Japanese guy! I was a bit rough, but your country's games are f*** terrible nowadays."

Though I don't care too much about him or Fez, it baffles me that he says this despite copying Cave Story's art style and pretty much every 80's platformer that came out of Japan. Even the whole perspective shift was lifted straight from other games.

Kenkaku:

You mean Keiji Inafune? He didn't say the same thing; he said the Japanese industry was falling behind and offered reasons why. All Fish said was, "I'm sorry, Japanese games industry, but your games are f*cking terrible."

And Keiji Inafune agrees with him.

He's not the only one, either. While interviewing Keiji Inafune yesterday, the Mega Man creator laughingly shot out the word "sucks" as soon as I mentioned Fish's name. Inafune said that he completely agrees with Fish's comment. "I want to give him a round of applause because it's a very brave action of giving an honest criticism," Inafune said.

http://kotaku.com/5891962/fez-creator-says-people-have-gotten-his-japanese-games-suck-comment-all-wrong

Your point was...?

Agent Larkin:
If the Juno chick gets killed I'm in for Detention.

Cause seriously fuck that movie.

Also Hey Bob how do you feel about the "Escape from New York" remake?

Ellan Page? I know she gets shot and killed in

If it's a slow week, why not have a look at Nova Zembla? I can imagine a few dozen remarks about that movie in advance, which is actually good, but plenty of material to annoy the average critic.

Aiddon:
Getting acquainted with Fez even if the designer of it is a flaming prick that made comments bordering on racist with the Japanese games industry. Anyway slow week, but at times ya need a break.

Gotta love hypersensitive Americans who scream racism at every single comment by any white person alive that involves any form of regional or ethnic denomination.

Both of those movies were under my radar, thanks for the heads up bob.

I could go see one of those, but I think I'll just go and see the Avengers on Wednesday instead. Sometimes I love living in Australia :) .

Did anyone else think the premise for Lockdown seemed suspiciously similar to the Purgatory level in Mass Effect 2?

vviki:
What about "The Three Stooges" didn't that come out last week?

They came out in theaters 82 years ago. If you're referring to the abortion that came out just recently... well I'm not generally averse to remakes(e.g. Battlestar Galactica remains one of my favorite sci-fi shows in recent memory despite its flubbed final season), but here they are trying to remake people. It makes about as much sense as trying to remake the Marx Brothers.

EDIT: On reviewing my post, I think that the term "abortion" may not be warranted. For all I know, it could be an entertaining movie, though I highly doubt it. Metaphorically speaking, "necrophilia" may apply since Hollywood just can't stop fucking with dead people. "Necromancy" could also work, though the former term feels like a better fit.

Torque is awesome, so incredibly stupid and over the top in all the most hilarious ways. Ice Cubes overacting cracks me up every time.

Detention looks interesting, but Lockout was already something to avoid ever since I saw the trailer.

Bob,, you already insisted that the 90s were your teenage years and you didn't had a good personal time in it. Can you stop insisting that 90s generaly suck based on your experience?

Kenkaku:

scotth266:

Want a direct quote? Here you go:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-07-fez-creator-phil-fish-declares-modern-japanese-games-just-suck

"I'm sorry Japanese guy! I was a bit rough, but your country's games are f*** terrible nowadays."

Though I don't care too much about him or Fez, it baffles me that he says this despite copying Cave Story's art style and pretty much every 80's platformer that came out of Japan. Even the whole perspective shift was lifted straight from other games.

You obviously haven't bothered reading the quote you yourself posted. Anyway let's read through it again, shall we?

An unknown Japanese developer asked the panel, which included Fish and Braid creator Jonathan Blow, what they thought of modern Japanese video games.

Fish replied: "your games just suck."

Following the Q&A, Fish took to his Twitter page to follow-up on his comments.

"At tonight's IGTM Q&A, some Japanese guy asked us what we thought of modern Japanese games, and I said I thought they sucked," he wrote.

"So I guess I'm some kind of big racist now.

Then: "Well, you know, not ALL of them. Just... a lot of them."

I think the key word we have to consider is "nowadays" implying that there is nothing wrong with Japan's older games. So basically, it isn't a contradiction that he is criticizing japanese developers while he himself takes great inspiration from older japanese games. In fact, it's perfectly logical that he would be unhappy with how japanese developers have forgotten their legacy considering he is such a strong admirer of that legacy.

I blame the japanese developer for asking such a stupid question. Frankly, I don't know what he was expecting to get as a reply (to be fair, maybe he took it much better than the Twitter crybabies. Still, stupid question).

Also,

copying Cave Story's art style

because if I had to point out one good thing about Cave Story it would be the beautiful visual style. I'm being sarcastic by the way.

well .... that was a kind of a let down, Torque sucked, so thanks for reminding me it exists .... jerk -.-

Blablahb:

Aiddon:

Gotta love hypersensitive Americans who scream racism at every single comment by any white person alive that involves any form of regional or ethnic denomination.

yeah, never mind the Japanese Devs that have been saying the same thing for years now, but no, the white guy joins in and its racist suddenly -.- I'm .... going to have to call bullshit on that. mostly cause its true, Japanese games do tend to suck these days.

Kung Fu on Motorcycles just replaced Card Games on Motorcycles in my dictionary.

I find it hilarious how people usually try to mock Moviebob for being a massive weaboo yet he doesn't seem to care about the Fez dude's comments. I think the Fez dude is wrong in some respects and right in others, but I don't see why people are getting so upset. Far worse things have been said by Escapists here about the Japanese games industry, and usually they are far less well-informed than the Fez guy seems to be.

Oh, and Detention looks pretty fun. I may see that and Cabin in the Woods if I get the money.

Humanity1:
I could go see one of those, but I think I'll just go and see the Avengers on Wednesday instead. Sometimes I love living in Australia :) .

still trying to use kickstarter for donations for plane/movie tickets sigh... guess ill have to wait soo not fair :(

Aiddon:

"Everyone is a little bit racist" -Avenue Q

If you have laughed at any kind of ethnic joke of any degree then you too are.
If you haven't... Two possibilities, either you are lying, or you are lying and nobody has heard you do it hence you can lie about it!

Really like to hear your views on Woman in Black (BBC 80s version VS 2012 version would be even better)

TechTim:

Humanity1:

still trying to use kickstarter for donations for plane/movie tickets sigh... guess ill have to wait soo not fair :(

I have to wait till Thursday sadly.

LZeroK:
"Everyone is a little bit racist" -Avenue Q

If you have laughed at any kind of ethnic joke of any degree then you too are.
If you haven't... Two possibilities, either you are lying, or you are lying and nobody has heard you do it hence you can lie about it!

There's a difference between political incorrectness and bigotry. Richard Pryor mocking his own race and every race on the earth but remembering to take the piss out of HIMSELF most of all is politically incorrect. Eddie Murphy making homophobic and sexist remarks on Raw is bigotry (and then whining about how Bill Cosby criticized him and he went crying to Pryor is just pathetic). Fish's comments were generalized and ignorant at best and like EVERY fucking dipshit he tries to justify his bullshit by basically saying "Nuh-UH! You're a POOPY-HEAD!", making himself look all the more moronic. He's a twat and Inafune is even more of a twat for agreeing with him. Though since Inafune is a hack anyway it doesn't surprise me

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here