Tribes: Ascend Review

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Tribes: Ascend Review

Tribes: Ascend manages to exist at the seemingly impossible intersection of nostalgia and freshness.

Read Full Article

Just wondering, how many of the classes are actually unlock-able?

DVS BSTrD:

There are 9 classes in total, and the actually unlocking of new classes are some of the cheaper things.

Edit - yes, in case that was confusing. You start with 3 classes which covers you pretty well, one from each of the light, medium and heavy, and there are 6 others to unlock. Everything can be unlocked with in-game earned experience points, so buying gold with real money is never required.

I think I might check this one out while waiting for D3. I also liked Hi-rez's last game, Global Agenda.

DVS BSTrD:

9 classes total, including the 3 free classes -> 6 unlockable classes.
Edit: semi-ninja'd

DVS BSTrD:

Assuming you mean without money, all of them. Itll take you a bit of finger grease, but im sure youll make it eventually.

Yeah, but can it compete with TF2? (or brink, but we never talk a out brink)

gigastar:

DVS BSTrD:

Assuming you mean without money, all of them. Itll take you a bit of finger grease, but im sure youll make it eventually.

Yes that it what I was wondering about, Shamus wasn't exactly clear. Having to purchase classes would seem more along the lines of pay-to-win. Not to mention a real dick move.

As a pathfinder, that flagcap was painfull to watch.

cahtush:

Heh, what's wrong with my slow as molasses Infiltrator cap? I'm pretty sure I ran that one back too, which probably says more about the disorganized enemy then my own skill.

I think I just didn't record any that night or Paul didn't find any of the better flag caps when he was editing the video.

ResonanceSD:

Well, vehicular combat, jetpacks, base upgrading and support powers tells us its not just trying to be TF2. Unlike Brink.

And Brink is not worth mentioning. If Brink couldnt compare to TF2 how could it stand a chance against something like this?

Considering all the freeware class-based multiplayer shooters coming out i think its time we seriously considered whether TF2 has finally passed it or not. It is almost 5 years old, and with this and Firefall emerging i could see a real chance of TF2 players leaving for either.

Ive been playing since the closed beta and I love this game. The speed is great, even heavy classes can go 150 kph without too much of a problem. The Raider class is my current favorite, grenade launcher, perked for extra belt grenades (Safety Third) and reduced self damage (Egocentric). Great for clearing out my teams base or wrecking havoc in the enemies.

Been playing for a while now and I just want to say that it's a great game. The sense of speed you get playing as a Pathfinder can't be beat, and the sense of power you get when playing as a Doombringer also can't be beat. It's a great game that can make you love both extremes of mobility and power :)

ResonanceSD:

Yes. Yes it is.

Basically, it comes down to this:

It's a very different style of game, and I find it far more enjoyable. If you can get the hang of the movement mechanics, it becomes the best multiplayer shooter of the last decade IMO.

Daemascus:
Ive been playing since the closed beta and I love this game. The speed is great, even heavy classes can go 150 kph without too much of a problem. The Raider class is my current favorite, grenade launcher, perked for extra belt grenades (Safety Third) and reduced self damage (Egocentric). Great for clearing out my teams base or wrecking havoc in the enemies.

I play Raider as my primary class too, but I've found ultra-capacitor to be more useful than Safety Third. I don't use more than 2 grenades in a fight generally and the extra maneuverability is awesome. That may be because I use white-outs over EMP grenades though.

A jet pack wearing love child of Halo + Unreal... very cool.

gigastar:

ResonanceSD:

Well, vehicular combat, jetpacks, base upgrading and support powers tells us its not just trying to be TF2. Unlike Brink.

And Brink is not worth mentioning. If Brink couldnt compare to TF2 how could it stand a chance against something like this?

Considering all the freeware class-based multiplayer shooters coming out i think its time we seriously considered whether TF2 has finally passed it or not. It is almost 5 years old, and with this and Firefall emerging i could see a real chance of TF2 players leaving for either.

Firefall has no aussie servers, this looks to be short-lived. I'm sticking to what I kniw is good :D

So is this going to be like all the other Tribes games where it comes out and everyone says it's the best thing ever, then immediately never hear about it again because it has inherit gameplay issues that nobody talks about?

ResonanceSD:
Firefall has no aussie servers, this looks to be short-lived. I'm sticking to what I kniw is good :D

Think about it this way: Tribes is entirely free to play. It costs you literally nothing but some harddrive space to download the game and play it.

Then you can decide if you like it or not.

rabidkanid:
So is this going to be like all the other Tribes games where it comes out and everyone says it's the best thing ever, then immediately never hear about it again because it has inherit gameplay issues that nobody talks about?

What gameplay issues? I haven't noticed anything obviously broken yet, and I never played the old ones, so I'm kinda curious what you're getting at.

I've been playing since January during the beta. I'd dabbled in all of the classes, but I settled into my favorite role, Juggernaut.

I use the Mortar, spinfusor, throwing discs(grenade slot)
My perks are Survivalist(get health and energy from ammo drops) and The one(forget what its called) which increases ammo from ammo drops too. Its important because I rely on those throwing dics as a primary weapon during duels, they shoot much faster than the spinfusor and do more damage. With the perk, you can hold up to 4 at once and recover 2 from each ammo drop.

I tried 1 or 2 of the older titles and had problems with them having to do with the weaponry choice and never really getting the skiing to work properly, but I'm not really going to list them out and explain them since I know if I do I'll just get flamed for having a different opinion.

The fact of the matter is though that there is a consistent pattern with this series where you have a few very adamant fans claiming that the series is better than Halo or whatever after a new game in the series comes out, people are talking about it for like a week, then it quickly fades into obscurity, and everyone goes back to playing Battlefield or Call of Duty or something and you never hear a peep from them anywhere.

Is there a somekind of plot to the Tribes series? Other than ''Here, have a jetpack and a spinny weapon and dominate the heretic reds/blues''.

Tamrin:
A jet pack wearing love child of Halo + Unreal... very cool.

As a person who loves this game, I don't know if I should be insulted or nodding my head.

BlindWorg:
Is there a somekind of plot to the Tribes series? Other than ''Here, have a jetpack and a spinny weapon and dominate the heretic reds/blues''.

Not that I know of, it's just shoot the other guys.

rabidkanid:
I tried 1 or 2 of the older titles and had problems with them having to do with the weaponry choice and never really getting the skiing to work properly, but I'm not really going to list them out and explain them since I know if I do I'll just get flamed for having a different opinion.

The fact of the matter is though that there is a consistent pattern with this series where you have a few very adamant fans claiming that the series is better than Halo or whatever after a new game in the series comes out, people are talking about it for like a week, then it quickly fades into obscurity, and everyone goes back to playing Battlefield or Call of Duty or something and you never hear a peep from them anywhere.

I doubt you'll be seeing that with this game, though. The game has been in fairly open beta for awhile before release, and there's already a pretty big community of players who enjoy it. There is nothing like Tribes: Ascend currently out there, it's so VASTLY different from any other multiplayer title.

Agayek:

ResonanceSD:

Think about it this way: Tribes is entirely free to play. It costs you literally nothing but some harddrive space to download the game and play it.

Meh, I've already got tf2 installed :p

Way too fast paced and demanding for me I think, I can barely play well in TF2.

Also I tried the Beta and it just felt very buggy, how smooth is it now?

The review mentioned nothing about how the experience unlocks unbalance the game in favor of veteran players with lots of experience points. The paid variety unlocks I'm fine with, but when you're handing out unlocks that outright boost the stats of your character, you've gone too far, especially since everything else in this game seems to be built with competitive play in mind. It's games like Call of Duty that popularized bad unlock systems like the one in Tribes: Ascend, and now it seems that this system is being justified with the free-to-play model. I do not like where shooters are heading. If this pattern continues, true balanced, competitive shooters will be gone in a decade.

KILGAZOR:
The review mentioned nothing about how the experience unlocks unbalance the game in favor of veteran players with lots of experience points. The paid variety unlocks I'm fine with, but when you're handing out unlocks that outright boost the stats of your character, you've gone too far, especially since everything else in this game seems to be built with competitive play in mind. It's games like Call of Duty that popularized bad unlock systems like the one in Tribes: Ascend, and now it seems that this system is being justified with the free-to-play model. I do not like where shooters are heading. If this pattern continues, true balanced, competitive shooters will be gone in a decade.

Sorry, what? What unlocks? You mean weapon/armor upgrades? That are exp only? And take about, hm, 3-4 hours of gameplay per class loadout to get the useful ones? And are pretty damn minor in the grand scheme of things?

Sorry, Tribes is and always was more about individual skill. If You suck at skiing or aiming projectile based weapons no amount of upgrades will help You. I can wreck as much havoc on my 0 upgrades Juggernaut as anyone else. I can cap flags at decent (200+ km/h) speed with my 20% unlocked Pathfinder.
Maybe just practice a bit more instead, hm?

ResonanceSD:

Dunno. Maybe because it actually has higher skill ceiling, and thus lends itself better for competitive play, while TF2 is hat grinding game? <.<

looks interesting tho I get a feeling the game seam to promote using some weapons over others, a bit sad, but itīs free so I might give a try some time, see if itīs possible to achieve my vision of sliding from hill to hill , passing enemies at high speed and killing them with a slide by shotgun shot.

If you start playing, make sure you use someone's referal code. It's free EXP for both you and them when you hit level 6.

BlindWorg:

Yes. The Tribes plot (and going back further, the plot of the Starsiege series, and the Earthsiege series before that) is pretty massive, though it's unclear where Ascend falls in to the timeline.

Short of it is: two thousand years from now, a bunch of people with sweet-ass power armour split off from the rest of humanity to form semi-barbaric space societies. Ascend focuses on two of the four major tribes, the warrior-philosopher Diamond Sword and the savage-yet-honourable Blood Eagle.

Checked it out. Was not terribly impressed.

The maps are huge and everyone moves fast. Sounds good, but the end result is that most of time you feel like you're firing at gnats.

Also, trekking across said huge map every time you die feels like a waste of time.

Lastly, the vehicle controls are arse.

I originally hated it when it was still in it's closed beta status, but after it went through some upgrades, it became one of my favorite shooters and one that I will definitively keep coming back to and keep installed for a long time, if not permanently.

Just as Justin said, there's really nothing like it in the market, this game needs some serious skills to succeed and has a satisfaction that I haven't felt playing a shooter in a long time (except when I play Quake Live :P).

Admittedly, I was a bit hesitant at first, considering that Hi-Rez made the godawful Global Agenda, but they seriously blew off the wall (flew over it?) with this game.

It's amazing. And it's free.

Pretty damn fine game.
High adrenalin rush once you get the skiing down.

One downer is that the prices they ask for gold and items is way too high!

Recently I've seen Jim rave about how great Blacklight Retribution was so I downloaded both those F2P games and I must say compared to Tribes, Blacklight feels positively stale in comparison. To me Blacklight feels like a MW clone with a few variations. Basically like most current gen shooters.
I really didn't get on well with that game at all.

On the other hand Tribes feels like FPS shooters of old and considering there haven't been many of those in the last few years it goes full circle and feels like a breath of fresh air.
It's action packed and fast whereas Blacklight seems pedestrian, slow and aimed at camping (read: "careful play" if easily offended) by comparison.

There is also a much larger variety of game modes and tactics in Tribes whereas Blacklight offers the same modes and styles of play as most other current gen FPS.

Oh and if this entices anyone to try it out use this referral code for bonuses for both you and me.

Slycne:

cahtush:

Heh, what's wrong with my slow as molasses Infiltrator cap? I'm pretty sure I ran that one back too, which probably says more about the disorganized enemy then my own skill.

I think I just didn't record any that night or Paul didn't find any of the better flag caps when he was editing the video.

Ahem... about your skill overall: no comment! :X

ResonanceSD:

Agayek:

ResonanceSD:

Meh, I've already got tf2 installed :p

Why not have both?
I have both and enjoy both on regular basis.

The games are so different that you can play one to get rest from the other.

Trust me, it's worth it.

Captcha: yes,sir
See, even captcha will play it.

And if anyone feels like, please use my referral link to register.

My referral link

Thanks.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook