Escapist Podcast: 041: Escapist Expo & Bad Movies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

041: Escapist Expo & Bad Movies

This week, we talk a bit on our recent Escapist Expo announcement. We also discuss bad movies, mainly Star Trek V.

Watch Video

Bout time I get my Simpsons quote, and its good to have the whole team back.

Hope the escapist expo is huge success.

THIS IS THE BEST FUCKING EPISODE EVER!

FUCK HOT ROD!!!!

I can't believe this podcast somehow came to my favorite movie ever!

The Original Transformers movie was just awesome! Period!

I wish I were sitting with you right now!

I still watch it... Hell, I can quote that movie in its entirety!

I just nerdgasmed...

All the best to you during the Expo!

As much as I'd like to go but a mix of college starting and distance(I'm not the traveling type and all my funds are going to college) are preventing me from going.

Non Gaming Hobby - I just started baking bread, sooo much fun!

Oh man, I'd be willing to volunteer to help out with the Expo. Assuming I'm available that is (and I really hope I am).

Ah, yes, The Brain of Morbius. Originally not a... er... bland Frankenstein knockoff. Apparently the original had no mad scientist with a deformed assistant, it was a well-meaning robot who was like "My master needs a body. Things are made out of parts. Here is some body parts. I'll make a body!" but the script editor revamped it into something that's cheaper because it doesn't require a robot suit. Plus, the henchman was played by an opera singer who never acted in TV before. Which could (sorta) explain his death scene; he was playing that sucker for the balcony. (First ten seconds of the video at right, you can't miss it.)

The sad thing is if you read interviews with the set designers and the like, they worked hard on it to try make it good. "What would happen if people did buttressing, except internally, what would it look like?" Interesting stuff that's lost in the rest of it.

The Completely Useless Encyclopedia (loved that book, still regret leaving it in storage when I moved) felt the "Robin Bland" moniker wasn't used to its full effect. Something like "That's my favorite line, if you change it I want to be credited as Timothy Drivel." and "I'd like to be credited as Bert Thescripteditorisatosser, please."

And Heart would've been an awesome power if Ma-Ti wasn't such a sissy. Mind control. FREAKIN' MIND CONTROL.

Ah, The Secret of NIMH. I loved that movie. I rewatched it on Nickelodeon a few years ago, and they cut out the injection scene. I was pissed.

Draconalis:
FUCK HOT ROD!!!!

Gotta say, your avatar makes that hilarious.

And yeah, Hot Rod totally got his boss killed. Starscream should take notes. (Probably partly why Rodimus is the Starscream of the Shattered Glass universe.)

I never liked Rodimus. He could be really douchey sometimes. Look at the Paradron episode. First he pulls the good guy equivalent of "If I can't have it, no one can!" and then, he snarks about the planet right after he blows it up, WHILE A CROWD OF EVACUATED PARADRONIANS ARE STANDING BEHIND HIM. Holy crap, man, what side are you on again?

Best thing about Hot Rod? The laughs I got when the (second) C64 game featured Hot Rod and Rodimus. At the same time. Without explanation. Yes, it does allow you to recycle art assets, but there's a reason it doesn't work!

I wish i could go to this so bad, but i don't have enough money to fly to university then fly to expo then back across the country

Man I wish I could go to the EE. Living in Australia has it's downsides :(

The way i would suggest volunteer duties is this(and i'm basing this off of another convention i attend) depending on how many volunteers you have and what you need them to do, assign them a shift of 3-6 hours, let them have run of the con for the rest of the time. assuming this is going to be a semi 24 hour deal like you have the run of the place for the whole weekend and aren't running people off come 10 o'clock and opening again at 8. also hotel stay is nice but not needed.

this is just my take i have no idea how big this thing is how many are going to volunteer, and what your building space constraints are.

Expo sounds awesome, but for me it means traveling across the world :(
The price is 1.2k$ just for travel itself (to Durham-Raleigh airport)
And then I'm in unknown place, totally new country, etc.
But I'm still thinking about it

blackrave:
The price is 1.2k$ just for travel itself (to Durham-Raleigh airport)
(...)
And what is closest international airport? (maybe it would be cheaper)

Er, you answered your own question. The Raleigh-Durham airport is the closest airport. (And it is international.) And yes, Durham is in North Carolina. They're only a few minutes drive away from the airport. From about 11:00 to 14:00 in the podcast they discuss options, including going to cheaper airports (possibly Charlotte/Douglas International Airport, 2-3 hours drive away or Piedmont Triad International Airport in Greensboro, 1-ish hour drive) and road-tripping it if you can find a few other people to split car costs with.

Steve, can you please post some of your drawings up (maybe as link under the next podcast)~? After listening to the podcast I'm extremely curious~!

My friend wants to take me out on a gun range. I don't trust myself to hold a pen properly let alone a machine designed to kill! But hey, I live in Australia where gun-play isn't part of the usual. Edit: As in I don't think it's legal to own a gun in most places.

Formica Archonis:

Er, you answered your own question. The Raleigh-Durham airport is the closest airport. (And it is international.) And yes, Durham is in North Carolina. They're only a few minutes drive away from the airport.

No I meant international airports, because currently every route goes through NewYork
Well I guess this is the fastest way anyway

Woah woah woah! Outdoor lazer tag at the Expo?!

:D

Oh and if there's a 360 set up with Space Marine I'll take on all comers ;)

Also I'll help out! You can trust me. I think :P

rayen020:
The way i would suggest volunteer duties is this(and i'm basing this off of another convention i attend) depending on how many volunteers you have and what you need them to do, assign them a shift of 3-6 hours, let them have run of the con for the rest of the time. assuming this is going to be a semi 24 hour deal like you have the run of the place for the whole weekend and aren't running people off come 10 o'clock and opening again at 8. also hotel stay is nice but not needed.

this is just my take i have no idea how big this thing is how many are going to volunteer, and what your building space constraints are.

Yeah, that's pretty much the arrangement with volunteer stewards at music festivals, seems to work pretty well in that situation.

So... let's see that artwork! I heard we had a good drawer on board. :D

Edit: Also... why not make your webcomic a PubClub exclusive? It's a special treat!

blackrave:

Formica Archonis:

Er, you answered your own question. The Raleigh-Durham airport is the closest airport. (And it is international.) And yes, Durham is in North Carolina. They're only a few minutes drive away from the airport.

No I meant international airports, because currently every route goes through NewYork
Well I guess this is the fastest way anyway

I don't know where you'll be coming from, but I've been looking into flights as well (I'm pretty sure I'm the "people asking questions about airports" Susan mentioned in the podcast), and RDU really is a lot more expensive then pretty much anywhere else for me (I would be flying in from Amsterdam) ~2300Euros for RDU, against ~470Euros for Washington, ~670 for Charlotte and Greensboro.

So, what I'm trying to say is shop arount for airports semi-nearby and maybe splurge for a rental car to go the last part.

It's worth pointing out that while RDU is an international airport, not all airlines go through here, which is why the price to fly through here can be quite a bit higher than somewhere else relatively close by. It's also a smallish airport, so you don't get as many flights in a given day.

I sooooooooo wish I could come to the Escapist Expo, I swear, I thought I'd cry out of disappoint. ='( (But I'm two flights away, and I mean 12-hour and 8-hour flights away) Maybe in two years when I've relocated again.
I'm counting on the rest of you to make this year a smashing success!!

I totally understand where Susan is coming from when she speaks about Hyper competitive people. It sucks because you kind of end up in that situation so many times in Dota when you start. I am a veteran player in Dota. I know exactly how each character works, what builds they can go, how to work with and against them. When I see another person do something that is not beneficial to the team, I let them know what they are doing wrong and how to fix it. Other though will choose to scream, bully them, belittle them, etc.

This is all due to the high demanding burden of knowledge that this game has. Because one player knows the quirks and mechanics of dota like the back of their hands, they get frustrated when someone does not act appropriately to their role.

It also does not help that the mechanics of the game make the enemy team get stronger, but the game itself intentionally makes you loose gold as well. This pretty much creates a really tense situation when you die like 6-7 times.

It really all just comes with experience, and it also depends which age group you are. A teenager can end up more self absorbed about the situation and blame others. An Adult will probably be more critical about the situation and try to fix the poor choices other players in his team are making.

Edit: hmmm, forgot to post that, I love the idea of EE. I just hate that I will not be able to assist it, but to who ever goes, HAVE LOADS OF FUN. :D

Eleuthera:

I don't know where you'll be coming from, but I've been looking into flights as well (I'm pretty sure I'm the "people asking questions about airports" Susan mentioned in the podcast), and RDU really is a lot more expensive then pretty much anywhere else for me (I would be flying in from Amsterdam) ~2300Euros for RDU, against ~470Euros for Washington, ~670 for Charlotte and Greensboro.

So, what I'm trying to say is shop around for airports semi-nearby and maybe splurge for a rental car to go the last part.

2.3k euros??? You know that someone tries to rip you off, right?
What airlines you are planning to fly with?
For me it mostly Finnair (and one flight with American Airlines on my way back)

Also how are you searching for flight?
I found much cheaper flights (Amsterdam-Durham) via local airport webpage
Just check yourself, all of them are bellow 1k euros
http://www.avio.lv/?eturas=true&eturas_p_type=flights&LANGUAGE=eng&url=?v=9&url=prices/search/c06264f23a?uri&LANGUAGE=eng&deletecookie=1

blackrave:
2.3k euros??? You know that someone tries to rip you off, right?
What airlines you are planning to fly with?
For me it mostly Finnair (and one flight with American Airlines on my way back)

Also how are you searching for flight?
I found much cheaper flights (Amsterdam-Durham) via local airport webpage
Just check yourself, all of them are bellow 1k euros
http://www.avio.lv/?eturas=true&eturas_p_type=flights&LANGUAGE=eng&url=?v=9&url=prices/search/c06264f23a?uri&LANGUAGE=eng&deletecookie=1

Yeah, that 2.3k quote was insane. I've mostly been looking via http://vliegticketszoeken.nl, a site where I've had pretty good results in the past, there's a few more I can try, so it's just an indicator.

I don't really care about which airline I end up using, the Washington flight I quoted was Icelandic air (or something like that), but almost any will do.

EDIT: after looking a bit more I've found some reasonable price flights straight into RDU as well, as long as I don't mind 2 stopovers and arriving at midnight anyway.

Eleuthera:

Yeah, that 2.3k quote was insane. I've mostly been looking via http://vliegticketszoeken.nl, a site where I've had pretty good results in the past, there's a few more I can try, so it's just an indicator.

I don't really care about which airline I end up using, the Washington flight I quoted was Icelandic air (or something like that), but almost any will do.

EDIT: after looking a bit more I've found some reasonable price flights straight into RDU as well, as long as I don't mind 2 stopovers and arriving at midnight anyway.

I personally might fly directly to RDU through Frankfurt or London (Heathrow)
I don't like big airports (too many people), so I still can't decide which one is better choice
I have general idea about size of the Heathrow, but I don't know anything about Frankfurt airport.
Does anyone have personal experience with Frankfurt? Are there a lot of people usually?

I have... Issues... with crowds, so I don't go to conventions. But I'll be there in spirit.

Eric the Orange:
I have... Issues... with crowds, so I don't go to conventions. But I'll be there in spirit.

I guess someone could bring an orange and write Eric on it, that way a manifestation of you could attend as well ;)

This is how Airsoft looks like:

and still...sooo much room left for more guns.

Hadn't completely finished listening last time I posted.

Star Trek 5 is so bad, I'd wiped it from my memory. Must've been a defense mechanism or something. I actually had to go on Wikipedia and read the plot. Then I went "oh yeeeahhhh, I remember now; it was so bad, it was painful". Voyage Home is bad, but it has its moments ("nuclear wessels" among others). But Final Frontier... Oh my gosh, it gave the Final Frontier a bad name. I remember when Susan posted on Twitter that she was watching it, all I could think was "why would you do this to yourself?" XD

I'm super glad you guys talked about introducing your children to media, at what stage, etc. This might not be something that a lot of people on the site can relate to, but as a young (very geeky) mother, I wonder how I'm going to deal with that issue when my own little one grows up (he's not even sitting up yet, so it's not an issue - yet). I think Greg Tito said something really interesting and important in the podcast, which amounts to this: you have a lot of big ideas on children rearing, but you never know how your kid is going to act, and basically, you'll have to adapt. In my opinion, the most important thing with kids is to remain flexible and to tailor your attitude to each child. My two cents, of course, and not sure what it's worth, since I'm still very much new to all this (I look to you, Mr. Butts, for wisdom on the matter! ;) ).

Incidentally, Steve Butts, you should totally post your art on the Escapist!! You certainly would get nothing but admiration from me, I can barely handle stick figures...

Eleima:
Star Trek 5 is so bad, I'd wiped it from my memory. Must've been a defense mechanism or something.

One of the more notable memories my high school days was the time a teacher didn't feel like teaching so put THAT on for us to watch. And then stopped right at the point where they meet the Wizard of Godz. I was VERY annoyed. Not because it was a good movie but because I had no way of finding out the ending without paying money to rent the damn thing myself, which I sure as hell wasn't doing. For years all I had to go off of was the Mad Magazine summary (which, in defiance of most Mad satires, was actually accurate - I guess they couldn't think of a dumber ending either). Thank goodness for that and, later, Wikipedia.

Formica Archonis:
One of the more notable memories my high school days was the time a teacher didn't feel like teaching so put THAT on for us to watch. And then stopped right at the point where they meet the Wizard of Godz. I was VERY annoyed. Not because it was a good movie but because I had no way of finding out the ending without paying money to rent the damn thing myself, which I sure as hell wasn't doing. For years all I had to go off of was the Mad Magazine summary (which, in defiance of most Mad satires, was actually accurate - I guess they couldn't think of a dumber ending either). Thank goodness for that and, later, Wikipedia.

Honestly, I'm thinking the agony of not knowing must've been better than the agony of watching and knowing.
Although, really... I don't what kind of teacher that was (English, Math, History), but that's just lazy. If you're gonna take a class off and pop in a film, at least put in a movie that has *some* educational value. Like Ethan Frome (with Liam Neeson) for English, or Enigma (2001 film) for Math.

wooooooooooo, wilmington was mentioned.

Wish the expo was closer to wilmington, nc.

BTW, I watch Transformer the movie every christmas.

just caught the simpsons quote, this is a real podcat now.

Eleima:
Honestly, I'm thinking the agony of not knowing must've been better than the agony of watching and knowing.

Not really. I KNEW it was gonna be stupid but I didn't know how. It annoyed me. Remember, it cut out before the whole "Why does God need a starship?" line, so for all I knew the guy could've been the Real Thing and sent them all off with a renewed sense of faith and purpose before returning to his celestial watchmaking.

Eleima:
Although, really... I don't what kind of teacher that was (English, Math, History), but that's just lazy.

Grade 8: English. Grade 7: English, Science, Social Studies. But she was so fond of English we spent over half the Sci & SS classes doing English.

That said, the old battleaxe was a horrible English teacher. Her pet peeve was "says". ST5 God help you if you said it like "sez", she'd go on a rant about people not saying words right and how if it's spelled "say+s" it's said like "say+s". Which is complete BS for several reasons, such as English isn't written phonetically and every dictionary I've ever seen pronounces it "sez"!

Eleima:
If you're gonna take a class off and pop in a film, at least put in a movie that has *some* educational value. Like Ethan Frome (with Liam Neeson) for English, or Enigma (2001 film) for Math.

On the days she wasn't up to teaching we'd watch whatever she could dig up. Once, about a week before graduation, she subjected us to some horrible movie about people emigrating on a boat (from where to where I don't know, she started the tape where it sat - in medias res the hard way) and there was this one prolonged scene where a dying middle-aged woman was trying to talk a teenage girl into taking her place (as in, in the husband's bed) so he could have a kid. It was like some weird reverse pimping thing that made me incredibly uncomfortable. I started MST3King it in whispers to the guy I was sitting next to just to feel less icky.

We're gonna have an expo!

YAY! That sounds like fun!

Over here where we're at!

Uhh...okay! I guess I can save for a ticket and if I try hard enough I c--

On September! :D

...Fudge. School. Senior year. Last semester before getting my Major. Guess I'm not going.
Seriously, though. I'd love to go if it wasn't for school. And money. You guys are like, pretty awesome. And that's...awesome.

Hm.

Here's a suggestion/question: Are you gonna have a hiring panel of some sort? Even though I'm definitely not going, it would be nice if you guys had something like that. I wouldn't mind applying to work for/with you guys at some point as whatever.

Seriously, your expo sounds awesome and I'd like to go as a volunteer...if this could somehow make up for the school I'd be missing, aka, career opportunities.I'm not saying to hire all your volunteers, but what if you guys give a nice "He's been a good kid!" note on someone's resume? That'd be beyond awesome.

Or kittens. I hear those are cool too.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or