The Big Picture: Future Assembly

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I'm about to date myself here, but what about Friends, and then Joey?

Yeah, it's not a movie, but the same concept is there, except in reverse.

As someone who literally just got in the door from seeing The Avengers (it was released in Australia early, but this post will be spoiler-free) I can say that Marvel really do deserve a pat on the back for pulling all this off so beautifully, and it's something I'd love to see in other films.

Pegghead:
As someone who literally just got in the door from seeing The Avengers (it was released in Australia early, but this post will be spoiler-free) I can say that Marvel really do deserve a pat on the back for pulling all this off so beautifully, and it's something I'd love to see in other films.

I know right how good was it? (Some situation as you, just got back like 30min ago)

I'm going to see The Avengers in about 3 hours, I haven't been this excited for a movie since.. well since ever!
The downside is, it can never be as good as I'm hoping it to be.

First off I'm from Australia... just saw it. absolutely epic... and as per usual with marvel... stay till the end of creditz! and OT of film continuity. the continuity concept in movies will be a hell lot harder to maintain from ageing actors and what not. just because Thor won't suffer from ageing doesn't mean Chris Hemsworth won't. Just to say best continuity concept for a single character in a filmed production... let's say it contains "Regeneration".

Also just got back from seeing it, our comic book store took 400 fans to a screening. Suffice to say this movie is EVERYTHING a comic book geek like myself wants and needs in a film. From start to finish, brilliant and funny. So very funny...

Just watched it, it is absolutely brilliant. Hooray for Australia getting something early!

SpiderJerusalem:

Ah, but there's the thing. Is Justin Bieber skilled in music? Sure, he performs songs written by others, composed by more talented people and in general is a product that is sold. So, in theory, he doesn't fit either qualification.

Just like Bob. The Justin Bieber of his kind.

Perhaps I should leave it lie, but I have to say the phraseology of your posts in this thread seem excessively venomous and would be difficult for me to pass by regardless of who it was directed at.

The Justin Bieber analogy does not seem to apply to this case, as your original claim was that Bob is not a critic (even if you stated it in a rather... unnecessary, spiteful manner that suggests certain emotions on the topic of Bob that I am as yet not privy to) and that Justin Bieber is not a musician because he isn't skilled at music and that is a part of the definition.

The definition of a critic, on the other hand, is different from that of a musician. In short, from dictionary.com it is "a person who judges, evaluates, or criticizes". You could claim he isn't a GOOD critic, but it's hard to make the case that he ISN'T one. Then we get into what makes a good critic versus a bad one, but that's a different subject.

Venom and spite aren't needed to get your point across. It's entirely possible to say "I don't think Bob's a good critic and here's why I don't agree with him this time:" instead of using sarcasm and veiled insults. In fact, as soon as I see someone use insult-tactics I don't WANT to believe them. I don't WANT to side with them no matter how good their points are. I have to fight just to remember that despite the venom and destructive criticism they might have a good argument.

Anyway, I know that saying all this may not accomplish anything, but I wanted to put it out there.

zombie711:
I get to see the Avengers on Friday.

Same here, taking the missus who has only seen Captain America (but enjoyed it) so am going to be explaining everything to her on the way to the cinema. There's also gonna be a new Dark Knight Rises trailer before The Avengers, so I may just nerd all over the floor.

Not sure if like...<.<

I mean the prospect of cross overs and such is enticing... but I'm afraid it may bring up the same problems present in comics... you know that the continuity will become as twisted and impenetrable as a granite octopus... as well as destroy the idea of new IP's in movies... like you said why just make another ten commandments movie when you can stick it on the end of Indiana Jones? I mean there's already a problem with that already... and chances are it'll be used less as light fan service and more to boost the profit of other movies in a series...<.<

ha, joke's on you Bob, I get to see it in a couple of days as well! Not due to advance screenings, but because it comes out earlier here in the UK! Hahahahaha!

Soviet Heavy:
So basically, this will only be a good thing if it sticks to genre films and superhero movies, but the minute that it touches something like The Expendables, Bob will hate it.

Of course. After all, you can't go through a video without him attacking the evil jocks, now can you?

Jocks no. A crap movie? Yes.

I thought they were going to do that starting with Green Lantern. They had the DC version of Nick Fury (can't remember her name) but GL was garbage so I don't know.

I live in japan. I talked with a girl in my class about spiderman. she only knows and cares aobut the movies and is anticipating the new one.

Man, a Justice League movie would be...Orgasmic, and if you wanted to make it dark, go with the blackest night story arc

DVS BSTrD:
Figures it would take comic book movies to teach Hollywood that continuity can be a draw

And as for the Ark tie-in Bob: This is the internet, you're NEVER the only one.

Although, on that same subject, the fundie christians would FLIP. And it would be hilarious, trolling on a massive scale.

I just thought troll hunter. I don't know how, and I don't know which movie, but hans would have to re-appear at some point. Maybe he gets to spain, only to find out about a quarantined block of apartments, a la rec? Maybe he could turn up in a "night watch" film? Hell, him popping up in doctor who would be silly, but also kinda awesome.

Can't wait to see how many videos he makes nitpicking and bitching that the Avengers didn't flawlessly follow pre-existing comic cannon.

I also like the always present hypocrisy that having crossover continuity for comic book movies is fine, but having crossover continuity for any other kind of action movie is not. Though, I'm sure if The Expendables 2 was about "real" military people instead of mercenaries, he'd be drooling all over it.

Know what? Let me quote myself from a couple of weeks ago:

Grenge Di Origin:
Okay, so here's what's going to go down May 4th, 2012. Chipman is either going to
A. Scream and bitch so intensely that it'd make his Transformers 2/Green Lantern reviews look civil and professional

OR

B. Go into denial and somehow praise it despite its glaring and undeniable flaws in a delusional fit like he did with Other M

OR

C. Be so pleased with the movie that his his spunk will be flowing out of the computer screen the instant I hit the "Play" button.

"Consolation prize with working in the internet"? What, would you think working in a hot-as-fuck diner kitchen a better job? Is writing some ranty essay, reading it back into a computer microphone, compiling it with a couple of pics/movie clips for two shows on The Escapist for actual monetary reward not good enough for you? *rolls eyes* Okay you know what? Good for you, guy. Glad to see that you're all happy about seeing a film you're anticipating earlier than us. Whoop de shit.

Also, "influence on film? The way you talk about The Avengers like it's some high-class crap, like it was going to be something MORE than some flick that may/may not encourage Hollywood to take continuity more seriously reminds me of me last year when I thought Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker was going to be a bigger anti-nuclear proliferation message, but really it was just some basic, Metal Gear Solid game that was received by Metal Gear fans as they expected: just a game.

4:51:
What if at the end when the Israelites make the Ark, it's the same Ark from Raiders?

The instant I heard this I said "that's a stupid fucking idea". Out loud.

It might be the future!

There have already been cross-continuity films/shows. Puss in Boots? Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back? The Naked Gun? The Xtacles? Penguins of Madagascar? You make it sound like HOLY CRAP THIS IS SOMETHING THAT COULD CHANGE EVERYTHING but in reality it's already happened, and so far it's changed pretty much nothing other than giving Hollywood/television the excuse to stop coming up with original ideas, something I'm predominantly against.

Fact is, you're just foaming at the mouth because some comic book series with (mostly) all of Marvel's big name heroes gets to be on the silver screen for you to (FINALLY!!!11) enjoy, and this supposed "cross continuity" subject is some way for you to reinforce and validate it for more than what it really is. For as much interesting insight you provide into some subject matters, it's a drag to sit on through the stuff you have a bias towards, like Nintendo-related stuff, or here, comic books.

Hey Bob, guess what!

I saw The Avengers today (because it was released today in Australia). I don't think you need me to tell you that it's fucking awesome but I am going to say it anyway.

The Avengers is FUCKING AWESOME!

Easily THE best Marvel superhero movie I have seen. I also thought you over-hyped the hell out of Captain America but I don't think it would be possible to over-hype this movie. Can't wait to see you try though :P

Joss Whedon needs to make more movies...the comedy scenes in this movie are icing to the cake made of pure awesome (and are completely Whedon-like if you have seen anything else he has done *cough* Firefly *cough*)

I just came back from the move theatre. Ha haa! It's good to be a Kiwi. Not to mention not having to wait months after release for a US film to come out here, like it used to be. Avengers was awesome! It's definitely has the Joss Whedon vibe. I'll leave it at that. :)

I hate the idea of this kind of continuity. Not really interested in seeing different movies blending together, suddenly you have to watch all kinds of different things just to enjoy the movie you really wanted to see. I would also argue that the whole avengers setup was the main reason Iron Man 2 ended as a bit of a drawn out mess.

Guess you have to appreaciate superhero comics to appreciate this sort of thing. But then again, continuity is one of the main reasons i donīt really read SuperHero comics. Prefer spending my time reading graphic novels.

I think continuity is awesome. I enjoy series in general, and I absolutely loved watching all the Marvel movies, picking out characters and things from the other movies. I find it a lot of fun, and the Avengers is probably the moving I am anticipating the most. Still have to wait another week and a half to see it though, boo.

Zachary Amaranth:

MB202:
I wonder if there ever WILL be a Hulk 2 movie... I mean, apparently, Thor and Captain America are getting a sequel, and Iron Man 3's on it's way, but not the Hulk? Well, it wasn't the BIGGEST box office success, but who knows, maybe The Avengers will change THAT as well...

Considering they tried two Hulk movies so close together I don't doubt we'll see a sequel if the Avengers does well.

I didn't think so...

MB202:

I didn't think so...

"I didn't think so" what? That response made no sense in context.

Zachary Amaranth:

MB202:

I didn't think so...

"I didn't think so" what? That response made no sense in context.

...Did you even READ what I was quoting?

Zachary Amaranth:

MB202:
I wonder if there ever WILL be a Hulk 2 movie... I mean, apparently, Thor and Captain America are getting a sequel, and Iron Man 3's on it's way, but not the Hulk? Well, it wasn't the BIGGEST box office success, but who knows, maybe The Avengers will change THAT as well...

Considering they tried two Hulk movies so close together I don't doubt we'll see a sequel if the Avengers does well.

I was saying "I didn't think so" as in "I didn't think there would be a sequel to Hulk".

I'm sorry, but this was just so plainly obvious, how could you miss that?!

This is actually kind of funny. I started watching Breakout Kings today, and one of the first episodes has T-Bag (from Prison Break) on the run out of Fox River.

MB202:

Yes. Hence the direct reference to context. For someone who's being so hostile, perhaps you should read what I said a little closer. It was very brief and the word "context" was not hard to miss.

Grenge Di Origin:

Also, "influence on film? The way you talk about The Avengers like it's some high-class crap, like it was going to be something MORE than some flick that may/may not encourage Hollywood to take continuity more seriously

What do you mean more than that? That's exactly what he was saying it could be.

I think Saints row and Red faction did a similar thing, except that was games of course.

I just saw the Avengers in 2D! And you guys in the US have to wait another week??? that's weird. I guess that's my consolation prize for living in New Zealand

I like how every Australian or Kiwi that visits this board now just posts, "Got done seeing the movie! AWESOME! LULZ!". Ignoring the topic of the video which is the idea of universes of shows existing together.

You know what I would like?
Terminator, Dark City, The Matrix, and Firefly to all be the same universe. The Terminators were the war between man and machine that was mentioned in Matrix that ended with the sky scorched, humans had to leave Earth after the Matrix was defeated and went to the Firefly system, one of the colony ships gets hijacked by aliens on the way and is modified into Dark City.

Landrius:
posts in this thread seem excessively venomous and would be difficult for me to pass by regardless of who it was directed at. ... unnecessary, spiteful manner. It's entirely possible to say "I don't think Bob's a good critic and here's why I don't agree with him this time:" instead of using sarcasm and veiled insults.

There's really only one response one can have:

For the record Bob, a Raiders tie in to the Ten Commandments would be a pretty cool idea. I'd be down for that.

Zachary Amaranth:

MB202:

Yes. Hence the direct reference to context. For someone who's being so hostile, perhaps you should read what I said a little closer. It was very brief and the word "context" was not hard to miss.

Sorry, I just thought it was obvious what I was referring to with my statement. :/

Rocketboy13:
I like how every Australian or Kiwi that visits this board now just posts, "Got done seeing the movie! AWESOME! LULZ!". Ignoring the topic of the video which is the idea of universes of shows existing together.

I'm in the UK.
Just got done seeing the movie! AWESOME!

...lulz.

As much as I'm excited for the Avengers movie, the thing that really made me laugh in this video is that al quaeda crow! I wasn't sure if anybody else had seen Four Lions, but I should have guessed Bob did!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here