EDH With The Escapist

EDH With The Escapist

Playing Commander with The Escapist staff.

Read Full Article

I'm so tempted to run Mayael as my commander. It's going to look pretty impressive if I can figure out how to get out 3 Titans, and a few new big old angels once I get my hands on them. Of course, those wouldn't be the only creatures in there. I'd have some smaller ones too. I'd probably use druidic satchel just to draw targeted artifact hate away from more important artifacts.

The important part is to balance between defense and offense. The easiest way to do that is to try to speed through my deck as fast as possible. Nature's lore, Farseek, and a combination of dual lands and shock lands wouldn't hurt.

Convincing everyone that it was better to let me use Worldslayer instead of letting someone get to strong was the highlight of that night for me. Even if I did slightly screw up the ruling on it, it was fun to get Kalia of the Vast out and be the only one capable of "casting" anything.

Let's see some decklists, if we could, please? If you're consistently whiffing on Mayael, maybe some suggestions could help...

vxicepickxv:
I'm so tempted to run Mayael as my commander. It's going to look pretty impressive if I can figure out how to get out 3 Titans, and a few new big old angels once I get my hands on them. Of course, those wouldn't be the only creatures in there. I'd have some smaller ones too. I'd probably use druidic satchel just to draw targeted artifact hate away from more important artifacts.

The important part is to balance between defense and offense. The easiest way to do that is to try to speed through my deck as fast as possible. Nature's lore, Farseek, and a combination of dual lands and shock lands wouldn't hurt.

If you're looking for ideas for Mayael, check this out. I like the Fat Stacks article, and this one served as some inspiration for my building with Mayael in the first place. Though I do wonder at how consistently he's going to connect with her ability, given the slightly fewer big creatures in there than in my own brew.

ed_ification:
Let's see some decklists, if we could, please? If you're consistently whiffing on Mayael, maybe some suggestions could help...

I'll work on this. Unfortunately, I don't have any of my EDH deck lists online at present. I do run 23 creatures with power 5 or greater in Mayael, though, so in theory I should be connecting pretty regularly.

Collaborative win? You can do that?

I finally made my first EDH deck a few weeks ago... I went with Slivers.

It pleases me to see Slivers take the day.

As for fetching Kessig, you're in green, so you should run a Crop rotation

G - sac a land, search your library for a land and put it into play.

Not tapped... and it doesn't have to be a basic.

So what I do, is tap a forest, sac that forest, convert it into commander tower, or anything else I need at the time.

I've got a kessig and crop rotation in my Sliver deck and killed my opponent with commander damage this way.

(I've only dueled EDH, I don't have enough friends with EDH decks to play multiplayer yet.)

Stop picking on my Coffin Queens, they just want to hang out with their friends :(

(Playing http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ub-mirror-mill/ against @encaen 's spirit deck is where that question came from)

Draconalis:
Collaborative win? You can do that?

I finally made my first EDH deck a few weeks ago... I went with Slivers.

It pleases me to see Slivers take the day.

As for fetching Kessig, you're in green, so you should run a Crop rotation

G - sac a land, search your library for a land and put it into play.

Not tapped... and it doesn't have to be a basic.

So what I do, is tap a forest, sac that forest, convert it into commander tower, or anything else I need at the time.

I've got a kessig and crop rotation in my Sliver deck and killed my opponent with commander damage this way.

(I've only dueled EDH, I don't have enough friends with EDH decks to play multiplayer yet.)

I was just asking Kross if he had any Crop Rotations, actually. Turns out he does, so that's definitely going in. Between that, Expedition Map, and Sylvan Scrying, I shouldn't have too much trouble getting Kessig out now.

Who are you using for your Sliver Commander? How are the games going for you so far? In playing against Slivers in general, in my experience they take a while to get off the ground, but if you can last long enough, they're basically unstoppable. This usually doesn't bode too well for 1v1 games, but it sounds like you're faring well enough.

Encaen:

I'll work on this. Unfortunately, I don't have any of my EDH deck lists online at present. I do run 23 creatures with power 5 or greater in Mayael, though, so in theory I should be connecting pretty regularly.

I run 25 power 5 or greater and can still wiff occasionally (but not often) in my deck; so you're nearly there. Though you definitely seem to run more land search than I do; which really makes me want to compare decks.

Encaen:
Snip

I've got the Overlord as my General. It's the only sound choice, the only other options are Queen and Legion... and the Overlord can tutor for both.

If I hit all my land drops (which is surprisingly much easier than I would have thought) my overlord hits the field on turn 5, 4 if I have kind of ramp, then the next turn I tutor for whatever I need, shroud, haste, queen. It gets ugly pretty damn fast actually.

I have yet to really push the deck for all it's worth though. I don't want my partner to get so sick of getting stomped by slivers that he refuses to play against it so I hold back on some decisions and draw the game out so it feels like a hard fought victory (Not all the time mind you, but sometimes I could end it so fast it's not even funny) I ultimately want my friend to have fun too, even if it's a loss.

Not to mention, I don't want to set the precedent that "He's playing slivers... jump him" when my other friends finally get an EDH deck together to join us.

Overlord + Unnatural selection = play 4 mana, mind-control target creature.

Granted my meta game is ridiculously niche, but my sliver deck has only lost one game... and it was against my friends, mentioned above, who don't have EDH decks. I was playing multiplayer against 2 constructed decks, and they jumped me.

The following game, they didn't jump me and I won.

Encaen:

I was just asking Kross if he had any Crop Rotations, actually. Turns out he does, so that's definitely going in. Between that, Expedition Map, and Sylvan Scrying, I shouldn't have too much trouble getting Kessig out now.

Nother possibility is reap and sow. it's 4 mana, but not only does it also put the land directly into play untapped, it also give's you the possibility to destroy another land if there is something nasty on the table. +for just 2 mana entwine cost you can do both!

http://magiccards.info/ds/en/81.html

As for those of you who run sliver decks: you might wanna check some of the changlings. Even though they technicaly aren't slivers, they DO count as such and therefore benefit of the boni from those 'real' slivers. just think about some sliver buffed optimus prime! (which is figure of destiny ^^ -> http://magiccards.info/pd2/en/5.html )

Or check out this dude... http://magiccards.info/lw/en/31.html

greetz d3s4nN

Draconalis:
Snip

It's nice to see Sliver decks getting some love again. I miss my five colored Sliver deck...

Ever consider running Aluren with it? Considering a LOT of the high utility Slivers are less than 3 CMC (Talon, Muscle, Winged, Clot, Necrotic, Acidic, Crystaline, Heart). Drop the Dormant Sliver and you can pretty much just cycle through your deck this way... The advantage is almost always on the sliver side thanks to the whole unity thing...

The Deadpool:

Ever consider running Aluren with it?

With a CMC of 4 any slivers of consequence would already be out. Tt would better if I just ran the quick sliver. Then only my creatures have flash.

But frankly... finding room to fit it in would be the biggest problem... every card has a purpose.

Have you considered using souls fire in the kresh deck? As the creature itself deals the damage so it can kill some one due to commander damage. Also having lots of trample for kresh isn't really necessary when you can just play a ton of dragon ala dragon storm and punch your opponents in the face to death.

There are a LOT of Slivers of consequence below 4 CMC... I mean, there are some seriously good 4 CMC Slivers out there, but wouldn't that just leave mana open to cast those, since the rest is free? Just a thought really...

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?page=1&action=advanced&subtype=+%5BSliver%5D&cmc=+%3C=%5B3%5D

3 CMC Slivers... Pretty substancial.

interesting game. I'm new to magic or still kinda new with starting out in innistrad. I was actually introduced through edh format playing with friends from work. My first deck being white with mikaeus the lunarch being my first general running some humans i got out of booster packs.
My friends have been playing this game for a long time have a lot of older cards and kickass decks.

I played with a my friends ADD deck and had Kallia of the vast out on i believe turn two. I had a god hand and my friend was pissed. He could never get it to go off like that. :D

Ive played his sliver deck quite a few times and had gemhide sliver out on turn two. You can guess how that game went. I became the cocroach so to speak.

My friend recently built an arcum daggson deck and had blight steel colossus out on turn five and gave it worldslayer. Me and the others at the table folded...

I built a blue back deck recently for the sole perpose of infect counter for a tournament my friend is hosting. Im thinking about turning it mono blue infect artifacts.

Another deck idea is a myr deck with conspiracy and the general being karona the false god.

Mar1Fox:
Have you considered using souls fire in the kresh deck? As the creature itself deals the damage so it can kill some one due to commander damage. Also having lots of trample for kresh isn't really necessary when you can just play a ton of dragon ala dragon storm and punch your opponents in the face to death.

Commander damage only counts combat damage not all damage. If it was all damage Brion Stoutarm and Heartless Hidetsugu would be beyond insane.

I'm not at all surprised that slivers did that well. Probably the best creature type in the game, really.

SL33TBL1ND:
I'm not at all surprised that slivers did that well. Probably the best creature type in the game, really.

Really? I mean yes, they probably are the best creature type in the game, but running a tribe-style deck doesn't really work that well in any format, you always have some sort of a problem... too slow, missing good creatures on some slot and so on.
pretty much the only creature type deck stll playable is counter slivers in legacy and they aren't top notch either.

as for a sliver cmdr deck: the biggest advantage is also their biggest disadvantage, they are completly creature-based. they have a hell of a time against some control/destro heavy deck, since if your first two or three slivers +overlord get fried, it's over.

Had some fun with my sacrifice-heavy EDH deck last night. Managed to get three Galvanoths up and running, though one of my opponents was all too happy to oblige by copying my spell and putting two Echo Mage copies out. Not fun.

I'm really liking the Grixis color combos so far.

I want an Ophidian Eye to sneak in for the combo wit Psychosis Crawler, but I think my group might lynch me if I do it.

The Deadpool:
There are a LOT of Slivers of consequence below 4 CMC... I mean, there are some seriously good 4 CMC Slivers out there, but wouldn't that just leave mana open to cast those, since the rest is free? Just a thought really...

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?page=1&action=advanced&subtype=+%5BSliver%5D&cmc=+%3C=%5B3%5D

3 CMC Slivers... Pretty substancial.

That's my point. They all cost less than 4, and it takes 4 to get that enchantment out. They would already be out before the enchantment ever hits the field.

And that enchantment works against me as well. I'd rather just have a Quick Sliver on the in play for 2 and give all my slivers Flash.

Don't forget Aluren doens't just make them all instants, it also makes them free... As a five creature set, with lots of multi colored ones, this is a pretty good advantage. Add some means of keeping your hands full, and you can stay ahead of most other decks this way...

cwcriner:

Encaen:

I run 25 power 5 or greater and can still wiff occasionally (but not often) in my deck; so you're nearly there. Though you definitely seem to run more land search than I do; which really makes me want to compare decks.

I've got Mayael up now here, if you'd care to check it out. It's still pretty fresh and lacks refinement, plus I apparently took out a handful of the 5+ Power creatures on my last pass, leaving me with only 20. Any advice is welcome, but I'm strongly considering getting rid of Garruk's Packleader for a 5+ creature. Wild Evocation is fun, but will probably get cut for another creature as well. Nature's Wrath and Bedlam are both hilarious in the right circumstance, but aren't universally helpful so they'll probably get cut as well. That should bring me up to 24 5+ critters, which is hopefully close to where I want to be.

I've played a few different Mayael decks, tweaked for Wrathing, 1v1 Speed etc, but I've found all of the below are a must in all of them:

Anger
Elvish Piper
Seedborn Muse
Terastodon
Lightning Greaves
Swiftfoot Boots
Aura Shards
Greater Good
Quicksilver Amulet
Warstorm Surge

EDH is the format that rejuvenated my love for Magic a few years back. It became to expensive to try and own a playset (4 of a card) of fun cards like Sword of X and Y, or awesome Planeswalkers.

My greatest success in EDH has come from using Hanna, Ship's Navigator.
The deck plays a rather boring control game where you recur several great artifact/enchantment spells like Oblivion Ring, Parallax Wave, tons of Control Magic variants, Seal of Removal, Seal of Cleansing etc. It runs the occasional creature as well like Steel Hellkite, Wurmcoil Engine and Solemn Simulacrum since they work effectively with the general.

Most of my EDH decks take a more casual approach as they should.

The Deadpool:
Don't forget Aluren doens't just make them all instants, it also makes them free... As a five creature set, with lots of multi colored ones, this is a pretty good advantage. Add some means of keeping your hands full, and you can stay ahead of most other decks this way...

Ah... that's admittedly a good point... I can Tutor for a sliver with the overlord and have it hit the field immediately...

That combo reads as "play three mana, put a sliver from your library onto the field.

I might have to look into that a little bit... I just don't have the faintest as to what I would pull out.

Encaen:

I've got Mayael up now here, if you'd care to check it out. It's still pretty fresh and lacks refinement, plus I apparently took out a handful of the 5+ Power creatures on my last pass, leaving me with only 20. Any advice is welcome, but I'm strongly considering getting rid of Garruk's Packleader for a 5+ creature. Wild Evocation is fun, but will probably get cut for another creature as well. Nature's Wrath and Bedlam are both hilarious in the right circumstance, but aren't universally helpful so they'll probably get cut as well. That should bring me up to 24 5+ critters, which is hopefully close to where I want to be.

I've only just skimmed the deck list, but i'm definitly missing some things in there...

Defense of the Heart
Worldly Tutor!!!!!!!!!
Sensei's Divining Top!!!!!!!!
Chord of Calling
Eladamri's Call
Kozilek

Encaen:

whoo boy. so many tap down options. You definitely take a different stance than I do. That said I feel you have too many tap down options that could be better served for being other +5: fatties to consider: spell breaker behemoth; Inferno titan; Primeval titan; and Vorenclex, Voice of hunger. Artifacts you should look for outside the staples include Rings of Birghthearth and quicksilver amulet.

cwcriner:

Encaen:

whoo boy. so many tap down options. You definitely take a different stance than I do. That said I feel you have too many tap down options that could be better served for being other +5: fatties to consider: spell breaker behemoth; Inferno titan; Primeval titan; and Vorenclex, Voice of hunger. Artifacts you should look for outside the staples include Rings of Birghthearth and quicksilver amulet.

There seems to be some consensus here, so I'll definitely go ahead and include ways to cheat critters into play, ie. Quicksilver Amulet and Elvish Piper. One problem I've got is that many of my cards are preoccupied in other decks and my Standard decks tend to take priority over EDH, so my Titans are all in reserve for Titan Ramp (pending Cavern of Souls) and Omnath has my Vorinclex and some of my other nasty green guys. I'm excited for Titans to rotate out of Standard so they can get a permanent home in some EDH decks. This is definitely getting Inferno and Primeval once they rotate.

As to tappers, I don't have it posted yet but Rafiq has even more tapdown effects to try to power commander damage through which I suppose isn't really necessary in this sort of build. I'll probably play with your suggestion, and swap a couple of them out for more fatties, though I'll need to keep a couple in since Kaalia of the Vast is pretty prevalent in my playgroup, and always needs to be tapped. :P I'll see about updating this weekend. Thanks for the feedback!

Encaen:

cwcriner:

Encaen:

There seems to be some consensus here, so I'll definitely go ahead and include ways to cheat critters into play, ie. Quicksilver Amulet and Elvish Piper. One problem I've got is that many of my cards are preoccupied in other decks and my Standard decks tend to take priority over EDH, so my Titans are all in reserve for Titan Ramp (pending Cavern of Souls) and Omnath has my Vorinclex and some of my other nasty green guys. I'm excited for Titans to rotate out of Standard so they can get a permanent home in some EDH decks. This is definitely getting Inferno and Primeval once they rotate.

As to tappers, I don't have it posted yet but Rafiq has even more tapdown effects to try to power commander damage through which I suppose isn't really necessary in this sort of build. I'll probably play with your suggestion, and swap a couple of them out for more fatties, though I'll need to keep a couple in since Kaalia of the Vast is pretty prevalent in my playgroup, and always needs to be tapped. :P I'll see about updating this weekend. Thanks for the feedback!

For your Mayeal deck specifically

Worldly tutor
Living Wish (Official rule is that you can have up a 10 card sideboard for wish purposes but as with any casual format house rules trump official so check what your group prefers)
Divining Top
Spawnsire of Ulamog (with every eldrazi and changeling you can think of to grab with it. Be prepared to get punched in the face if you do though)
Channel

Ups the consistency of your deck and the channel will let you do some nasty things with the fatties you have.

A decent EDH card to look for that slots into every deck is Tower of the Magistrate. The ability to give protection from artifacts actually helps with the politicking that goes on in a commander game as you can save an ally by making the creature attacking him drop his jitte or Sword of x and x.

Farsight Mask would be good in there - card draw is NEVER bad.

Also, cards with Buyback... Fanning the Flames, etc.

Ah, and more lands that can tap for ANY color - Meteor Crater and Thran Quarry. You could also add in something like Birds of Paradise, Ghostly Prison, Fecundity, Spidersilk Armor... Wild Pair could be a lot of fun in there.

Encaen:
snip

How has the Escapist's Magic Master done in the pre-release today and how do you find the format?

For me I went 5-0 and won some more packs using an aggresive R/G deck, posted below.

A deck like this was pretty much perfect against the entire field which was rather predictably flying stuff of various colours with 2 guys with reach naturally 2 that soulbond to give reach and Thunderbolt. The format itself though is very slow focusing a lot more on a good 4,5+6 drop in your deck to win while only have little things early, My deck also exploited this with my pump and early removal/creatures to force through lots of damage early on.
I never miracled Thunderous wrath to smack someone in the face though despite doing it often... I always removed a blocker/attacker setting up better attacks. The looter is awesome for this as you do it during your opponents upkeep to check if you miracle.

Favourite play of the day:
Havengul vampire and Riot Ringleader in play. Play Thatcher revolt, swing for 9 leaving vampire back. Thanks to blocks my opponent takes 6 and trades with my ringleader leaving me with a 7/7 vampire that grows when creatures die or when it hits an opponent. This happened turn 5!

MVC:
Wolfir Silverheart. Whenever this guy hit the table I won and I won fast. Whoever at Wizards thought 12 power over two bodies(8 on wolf +4 on other soulbond guy) for 5 mana was fine in limited at rare is out of their freaking minds. First pick this in Draft pack 1 and 2 and seriously consider him in pack 3.

TheGuy(wantstobe):

MVC:
Wolfir Silverheart. Whenever this guy hit the table I won and I won fast. Whoever at Wizards thought 12 power over two bodies(8 on wolf +4 on other soulbond guy) for 5 mana was fine in limited at rare is out of their freaking minds. First pick this in Draft pack 1 and 2 and seriously consider him in pack 3.

You are so Fuckin right... i saw no less than 3 r/g decks today which at one point or another just hammered away at me with this guy... and twice he was bound with a double striker...

But Wolfir is just the best example for how broken soulbound in general is. that mechanic is way better than anything else in the last 5 or 6 years, maybe with the exception of infect.

Oh and another thing... does anyone else think that the helvault event was pretty dumb? i mean, when i heard first about it i was pretty pumped, you can get additional free stuff! i got wary when i saw those achievement cards... they were way to stupid/easy and alas: i was right. i get the spin-downs, everyone loves spindowns, but tokens and FFS, OVERSIZED CARDS?!? what are you going to do with these things, except plaster your walls with them when you're out of wallpaper?
i think that was badly executed at least.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here