Trail of Fears

Pages PREV 1 2

Druyn:
When I say the title and cover, I immediately thought "Woah, somebody made a zombie Oregon Trailer Game? I want to play!" And now I'm just as happy that I was wrong, because this was an excellent article that makes me want to play OT again. Well done, sir.

Thanks! .... but can't it be both?

Back when I was younger, I enjoyed playing Oregon Trail in school. However, I never really found it scary. While I see what is being suggested here, and I think it could work, I don't think the Oregon Trail game had the proper setting to create a sense of dread. Sure, it could put you on edge since you never knew when something was going to go wrong, but it was more like the tension of a high stakes roulette or craps game. You never really got a sense that something was out to get you, stalking you, hunting you. Compare Oregon Trail to a survival horror game that works like, say, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and the latter is going to outperform the former hands down.

Mike Fang:
Back when I was younger, I enjoyed playing Oregon Trail in school. However, I never really found it scary. While I see what is being suggested here, and I think it could work, I don't think the Oregon Trail game had the proper setting to create a sense of dread. Sure, it could put you on edge since you never knew when something was going to go wrong, but it was more like the tension of a high stakes roulette or craps game. You never really got a sense that something was out to get you, stalking you, hunting you. Compare Oregon Trail to a survival horror game that works like, say, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and the latter is going to outperform the former hands down.

Certainly! I'm only suggesting here that The Oregon Trail presents us an interesting and different jumping-off point. We have plenty of games in which the writers set out to scare the character, and hopefully get the player in the process. In Trail, the game itself actually puts the player on edge directly... which can open the door for a lot more.

Trail had no characters. It had no monsters. It was severely limited by the technology of the time, but it still managed to get an emotional reaction (tension and fear are very close relatives). The idea here is that a game that does that first can then add all kinds zombies and ghosts, and they'll all be far more effective.

The "scary stuff" in a game is just a push. For a push to be effective, the player has to already be on the edge.

Dastardly:
Trail of Fears

The Oregon Trail is terrifying.

Read Full Article

I want to say you got it, right-on-the-head-of-the-nail accurate.

It is why i had Oregon Trail emulated, few modern games ever captured the spirit that Oregon Trail did.

Dastardly:

Druyn:
When I say the title and cover, I immediately thought "Woah, somebody made a zombie Oregon Trailer Game? I want to play!" And now I'm just as happy that I was wrong, because this was an excellent article that makes me want to play OT again. Well done, sir.

Thanks! .... but can't it be both?

Whyyyyyyyy? I was going to revamp my phone playlist, do some physics work, and go to bed early tonight! Why would you do this to me?

Reminds me of Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money. Every part of the world wants to kill you slowly, and your most reliable weapon is a re-purposed bear trap that you pried off your foot.

Want to play a modernized version, with zombies?

http://hatsproductions.com/organtrail.html

BAM! You're welcome.

Man, this got people into some debating

-M

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: