Legend of Grimrock Review

Pages PREV 1 2

Azuaron:
You know, if this game was setup like Diablo (overhead click-smashing), Dragon Age (mobile over-head/-shoulder tactical), or Skyrim (first-person or third person low-tech) I'd probably be all over it. But there's a reason we no longer have grid-based RPGs.

The only reason I found for the bizarre grid system is that several of the puzzles rely on the controls being limited as they are. It also helps focus the player's attention on wall segments when looking for that last essential hidden switch; exposing the maximum surface area directly to the viewer.

Even so, it's still a bit awkward. Even Might and Magic 7 had essentially full rotational control; you weren't confined to cardinal directions.

Azuaron:
That amount of cognitive dissonance right next to itself just broke my brain.

Welcome to my reality. :]

bobstone:

he stated as i read it, that people take time to make it, and people take time to play it, so it just cant be bad out right, however; you can have your own opinion that it is bad, while others have one that says it is good.

All i'm saying is that there's quite big amount of people that simply love such games - so they can't be considered "bad", unless it's his personal opinion (and unless i'm drunk i don't see "imho" anywhere in his posts) ;]

Tiamat666:

JesterRaiin:

BTW : are you familiar with "Anvil of Dawn" game ?

Oh, now that I see the screenshots, I remember playing it on Dosbox once. It was pretty good and I cleared the first mayor level in some kind of castle. Then probably exams came up and I forgot about it. Would be a nice warm-up to Legend of Grimrock... ;)

To be honest i think that LoG is quite simple game in opposition to big hits of old. ;]

i wonder myself, how long the game Actually is?

Pigeon_Grenade:

i'm a total newcomer to grid-based gameplay, so i might suck in comparison, but it has kept me going for about 4-5 hours, and i'm around halfway. finding and solving all the secrets adds a lot of time to it, and different playstyles will add a couple of replays.

in short, worth the money if you can get into it.

suitepee7:

Pigeon_Grenade:

i'm a total newcomer to grid-based gameplay, so i might suck in comparison, but it has kept me going for about 4-5 hours, and i'm around halfway. finding and solving all the secrets adds a lot of time to it, and different playstyles will add a couple of replays.

if one Replays the game, does it Randomize the Dungeon?

Pigeon_Grenade:

suitepee7:

Pigeon_Grenade:

if one Replays the game, does it Randomize the Dungeon?

not to my knowledge. some of the enemies might change, but the layout can't due to the nature of the puzzles

Bought Grimrock on impulse as it only cost €10 on Steam.
I've never played games like this before, but so far I have loved every minute it.

Hell, I might even pick some of the classics of the genre because of it.

The devs deserve all the success and prise they are now getting.

bobstone:
so off-topic quick like, would you use an in-game mapper ? assuming it had a good user interface appropriate to the games mapping needs? in the case of this game it would be simplicity it self to create and use I would think since it is grid based.

For games like this I would love that feature. I'm assuming at some point the developers will expand the game with another dungeon, if that happens I'm planning on playing it in old-school mode, but personally I would prefer to be able to open a blank map book in game and draw directly to that than having to keep a stack of graph paper on hand.

I love this game. I just don't understand why every thinks you are "exploiting the enemy AI" when you are kiting a monster around a grid. It was intended to be this way, you are not exploiting it. As you go on and face more and more enemies, you don't even have this choice sometimes. At the beginning, just standing around and facing the enemies can get you killed rather easily.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here