Trailers: Dead or Alive 5 - Hot Zone Trailer

Dead or Alive 5 - Hot Zone Trailer

They may want to fight in a safer place.

Watch Video

I saw the title and thought, "Hmm, volcano arena? Sounds awesome!"

Then I saw the opening shot of the trailer, and thought, "Wait, am I watching the right trailer? Did they accidentally link to a trailer for CoD?"

Then I saw the fighters, and thought, "Oh, you cannot be serious..."

I spent the rest of the video in slack-jawed disbelief.

Sylocat:

Then I saw the opening shot of the trailer, and thought, "Wait, am I watching the right trailer? Did they accidentally link to a trailer for CoD?"

I'm honestly confused by this series, is there some kind of plot that deals with all the characters because they seem to have history with one another.

OT: Well... nothing worse than getting knocked to the ground and then taking a RPG to the back too, that's just dirty pool in my book.

dalek sec:

Sylocat:

I'm honestly confused by this series, is there some kind of plot that deals with all the characters because they seem to have history with one another.

OT: Well... nothing worse than getting knocked to the ground and then taking a RPG to the back too, that's just dirty pool in my book.

There actually is...it's kinda convoluted, though. Kasumi is supposed to be the leader of her ninja clan but she ran off to find her brother, Hayate, who disappeared while investigating an evil corporation known as DOATec. As Kasumi abandoned her duties as head of the ninja clan, Ayane was dispatched to capture her.

Helena inherited control of DOATec, Christie is an assassin sent to get close to Helena, spy on her, and eventually take her out. Bayman is a mercenary/assassin who used to work for DOATec. Annnnnnnd that's about all I can think of right now. :P

I was far more interested in the back ground then the people fighting.

*Looks at bra shot*

Well, so much for the series being more subtle.

But seriously, I understand the want for a grittier, more realistic look, but a warzone straight out of an Afghanistan war movie or CoD game? No thanks, lets keep it in the more pure fantasy field please, Team Ninja.

The story was simplified into a coherent (sort of) retelling in Dead or Alive: Dimensions on the 3DS.

As for the trailer, I'm still trying to figure out if they wanted to intentionally mislead people into believing it was for a modern war game of some sorts. It was so incredibly brown and without palette. I was hoping the characters would be more colorful, but they weren't. Is this just another example of Japan starting to cast aside what makes them unique in order to appeal with the Western market?

As such, not sure what I think about dust and dirt clinging to the characters as a result of fighting. It's a nice looking touch, but not needed.

Well... that was erm... yeah... I don't know what that was.

I imagine the design process of this game must have been something like this:

Designer 1: So, what do people want these days?
Designer 2: Explosions!
D1: Yeah! Explosions! What else?
D2: Tits! Tits and explosions!
D1: Awesome! We're on a roll here, any more?
D2: Warzones! Fuck yeah!
D1: Now we're talking! Got anything to top it off?
D2: Beating the crap out of shit! Booyah!
D1: That's it! Beating the crap out of tits in a warzone with explosions! This'll be the best thing ever!

My expectation: something else

My reaction to actual thing:

Good to see my favorite character (Christie) kicking some ass. Considering all the locales that have been used for fighting games, is a warzone any different?

RJ 17:

dalek sec:

Sylocat:

There actually is...it's kinda convoluted, though. Kasumi is supposed to be the leader of her ninja clan but she ran off to find her brother, Hayate, who disappeared while investigating an evil corporation known as DOATec. As Kasumi abandoned her duties as head of the ninja clan, Ayane was dispatched to capture her.

Helena inherited control of DOATec, Christie is an assassin sent to get close to Helena, spy on her, and eventually take her out. Bayman is a mercenary/assassin who used to work for DOATec. Annnnnnnd that's about all I can think of right now. :P

Tina is trying to earn money for her different careers, Bass is her dad trying to stop her from her usually stupid career choice, Gen fights for money for a cure for his grand daughter's disease, Eliot fights to surpass Gen, Jann fights for honor, Lei fights to be near Jann, Zack needs money for his ridiclously over the top girls resorts, Brad fights to find the legendary drink, Hitomi fights to find Hayate.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Hitomi fights to find Hayate.

And that's the part I never fully understood...I know that Ein is Hayate having been brainwashed/with amnesia or something...and I thought THAT was who Hitomi was after. But even so, why is she chasing after the same person as Kasumi?

RJ 17:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

And that's the part I never fully understood...I know that Ein is Hayate having been brainwashed/with amnesia or something...and I thought THAT was who Hitomi was after. But even so, why is she chasing after the same person as Kasumi?

Kasumi is trying to destroy DOATEC, because they brainwashed Hayate. Hitomi is chasing after Hayate before his got brainwashed.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

RJ 17:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Kasumi is trying to destroy DOATEC, because they brainwashed Hayate. Hitomi is chasing after Hayate before his got brainwashed.

:P But I thought Hayate was Kasumi's brother who disappeared while investigating DOATEC, how would he be associated with Hitomi? I thought that was Ein (post-brainwash) seeing as how his fight style is Karate and not Ninjitsu.

Um, okay nobody called the "underwear go inside the pants" thing?

Nimzabaat:
Um, okay nobody called the "underwear go inside the pants" thing?

Because it's not underwear, it's a mesh that binds the top and the legs together. That way she can wear tight leather-like clothing without the risk of it ripping when she kicks or developing that fishy crotch smell.

So, your neck gets broken twice, and then you get hit by a tank shell.

Then, in round two-

WHAT ROUND TWO?!

I hope they have a better boss fight than the end of DoA 4 and a better counter system. It may be because I took a massive hiatus from DoA before I played 4 but the counter system seemed a bit broken when the comp used it. Although my view may be skewed due to final boss.

Callate:
So, your neck gets broken twice, and then you get hit by a tank shell.

Then, in round two-

WHAT ROUND TWO?!

Superheroes with healing factor.

Just like Tekken: Blood Vengeance.

What happens when the time runs out? do the rebels come out and hold you both for ransom?

Directed by Michael Bayman...

thisbymaster:
I was far more interested in the back ground then the people fighting.

This is probably how the rest of the game is going to run.

Christie sounds sexy as always (yes you read that right).

Terramax:
*Looks at bra shot*

Eh....Are you familiar with DOA? It's better than having her with that completely shameless "loose-jacket-with-nothing underneath-yet-somehow-her-breasts-are-never-seen" alternate costume she had in DOA4, what she's wearing now is pretty tame by comparison.

If I can unlock as many costumes as DOA: Ultimate, I'm sold.

They could really stand to improve the breast physics though.

What in the name of smeggery? What the hell was that!?!

I did like the military voices in the background though: "Hey civilians, get out of there! Come on guys we're trying to fight the insurgency!"

RJ 17:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

RJ 17:

:P But I thought Hayate was Kasumi's brother who disappeared while investigating DOATEC, how would he be associated with Hitomi? I thought that was Ein (post-brainwash) seeing as how his fight style is Karate and not Ninjitsu.

Hayate post-brainwash was known as Ein and was a part of Hitomi's dojo I think. Hitomi was looking for him in DoA3 because the dojo was going under and she thought he could help. I don't know what her deal is in 4 since I haven't played it. I don't know if she knows that he's the leader of a ninja clan either, because he apparently fights her with karate when they meet each other in 4.

Lovely Mixture:
Christie sounds sexy as always (yes you read that right).

Terramax:
*Looks at bra shot*

Eh....Are you familiar with DOA? It's better than having her with that completely shameless "loose-jacket-with-nothing underneath-yet-somehow-her-breasts-are-never-seen" alternate costume she had in DOA4, what she's wearing now is pretty tame by comparison.

I'm very familier with the series. If you read my post, I wrote more subtle [than previous instalments].

Am I the only one to find this crazy tasteless? That the middle-eastern setting has become so stock played out and cliché it's almost sickening. This is a conflict involving people who are dying and on all sides and more tragically many aren't combatants.
Just picture this if street fighter had a map in which you were fighting in the still bloodied hall ways of a high school shooting, it's in complete bad taste and people would call it out as such in an instant but why is this much more different? It's not as close to home but there are people in situations like this and don't you think they subject matter deserves at least some semblance of respect?

Those shattered buildings we can assume were shops and homes, and now just the backdrop to people with stupid haircuts whacking each other about; thinly justified by the inclusion of a jarhead stereotype?
Very classy.

I'm not saying we can't use this kind of setting but it has to have context and be handled with respect and a level of maturity that this little presentation is lacking.
And even aside from my uncomfortable feeling with the fact this was considered to be an area of battle for a fighter I feel it devalues the actual fighting, dead or alive has never been much of a serious franchise and at least it has that sense of levity to it. You can't tell me no one's going to get sensory whiplash from watching bust chicks play volley ball on a sunny beach and then jumping into the fray in a middle eastern warzone; who knows maybe there's a volley ball court in a mine field just off screen? I wouldn't be much more surprised.

Well, at least Christie seems to have been spared from the political correcties disease that Ayane, Hitomi and Kasumi caught.....

I swear to light though, if Helena and La Mariposa got hit with the same kind of changes those three did, there will be blood.

Sylocat:

i hear ya

what the hell was that

so i go to post a comment and notice there is more discussion of plot for a dead or alive game then i can find on most game threads.

Paragon Fury:
Well, at least Christie seems to have been spared from the political correcties disease that Ayane, Hitomi and Kasumi caught.....

I swear to light though, if Helena and La Mariposa got hit with the same kind of changes those three did, there will be blood.

Erm, I'll admit I haven't played a DoA since DoA2 but... what's different about Ayane and Kasumi and how is it "PC disease"?

And they said the new Mortal Kombat was ridiculous.... *shakes her head, laughing*

Well, haven't cared since the first one, can't say I'm seeing too much reason to change my outlook on this one. Chick in underwear beating up guy in T.A.C. armor twice her size, but now they're fighting in... 'Kerplakistan'... apparently? *shrugs* Might be fun, but not ...quite my cup of tequila.

Pedro The Hutt:

Paragon Fury:

Erm, I'll admit I haven't played a DoA since DoA2 but... what's different about Ayane and Kasumi and how is it "PC disease"?

Ayane and Kasumi both had very, very good "assets" in all the DoA games, particularly 3 and 4. However, in the reveal trailer for the game (where we see Ayane vs. Hitmoi) and one of the other gameplay trailers with Kasumi vs. Hayabusa, we see in DoA5 they've been severely reduced. Ayane is barely a decent C cup, and Kasumi from the trailer barely looks like she might be a B cup. This is pretty bad considering their histories.

Its a "PC" disease as I call it because developers are suddenly just starting to buckle and give into the "realistic" and "women in games shouldn't so much more attractive than real women crowd" for some reason. It started to get really bad last year with the Lara Croft re-design that doesn't look a god damn thing like Lara Croft, and has just kept going, like last year with Namco in SC:V leaving out half the female cast, replacing Taki with a curveless shrew and severely reducing Ivy. Now we've got DoA5 doing the same kind of thing.

If developers want to make more "realistic" women, by all means, do so. But it shouldn't be done to already existing characters; especially not in game series known for their women. If they want to make new, "better" women then new IPs and new characters would be a far more effective strategy, rather than changing already established franchises.

I'll have to respectfully disagree on a few points there. I see it as a good thing that Ivy was toned down in SC V (which is arguably one of the few good things about SC V to begin with). For you see, now she's been brought back to what she was like in the very first Soul Calibur back in the good old Dreamcast days (or XBLA/PSN now), after that one Namco increased her bust size with each sequel, even though she already was an adult woman well past puberty in the first SC, to the point that it was utterly ridiculous in SC IV. Same with Taki who suffered from the same problem with every sequel they put out. So frankly I am glad they reeled it in, there's sexy, and there's beyond stupid. By SC IV it was definitely beyond stupid. So you could argue that Namco undid the changes they've made to their franchise.

At any rate, I'm not fifteen any more, I can't get turned on any more by women with bust sizes where they could potentially KO themselves if they'd ever just hop on the spot. As such I actually like the reboot Lara, she's more of a character I could empathise and sympathise with than the unrealistic billionaire who'd gladly shoot wildlife and natives alike for the sake of expanding her own treasury.

And DoA, well, the poor man's Virtua Fighter, the gameplay has always been pretty unbalanced, if not borderline broken, so I guess it needs to get by on its fanservice. But from what I've seen of DoA5 there won't be any shortage of fanservice, what with outfits now sticking to their bodies and for some fabrics turning transparent when wet. So I guess it's somewhat more er... realistic fanservice rather than having huge breasts (which would just hinder you in a fight) and the world's most unrealistic gainaxing. (Seriously, judging from videos, it looks like those breasts in DoAX2 want to escape to better video games, in different directions! You'd have to be a pretty sad little man to find that arousing)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here