The Big Picture: One Day in November

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

One Day in November

MovieBob takes a close look into the upcoming release of Halo 4 and its possible ramifications.

Watch Video

Hmm. Vote for President. Frag noobs.

Vote for President.

Frag noobs.

Vote for President.

Frag noobs.

Would be a rather odd way of trying to swing the vote but it's not like they haven't tried dumber shit.

You know... i think people who would rather play a video game instead of voting in one of the worlds most important political elections have no business voting anyway. I mean, dude, the game can wait.

Cortana might be a Democrat but Master Chief would definitely vote Republican.

PsychedelicDiamond:
You know... i think people who would rather play a video game instead of voting in one of the worlds most important political elections have no business voting anyway. I mean, dude, the game can wait.

The game can wait.. THE GAME CAN WAIT? We know for SURE that there will be another election in 4 years, but Another Halo in 4 years? THAT MIGHT NOT HAPPEN, DUDEBRAH! *hurries over to his kitchen to get Doritos and Mountain Dew, then plays Gears of War with a bro*

I'am just glad this didn't out to be a halo is teh evil from bob. Also people who place video games> real life, likely shouldn't vote anyways....

I get the feeling that, since Halo appeals more to the war-loving conservative base, THOSE people will more likely go out and buy Halo, meaning that Barack Obama should have an easy (or easier) win. It makes a lot of sense, in my mind anyway...

The conspiracy theory is just that: a conspiracy theory.

DVS BSTrD:
Why couldn't you put this much effort into understanding ME3?

Seriously? Just drop it already. The ME3 thing is over. It's done. He had an unpopular opinion. Let. It. Go.

Do they not have advance polls in the US?

Vote by mail, problem solved.

I love ya, Bob, but the only place I've heard this conspiracy theory is on *your* twitter feed. I'm not going to pretend that I pay nearly as much attention to this sort of stuff as someone who relies on it for their well-being, but I still question just how widespread this issue really was/is.

At 4:45 - However
I almost plotzed.

Oh well another reason to get Halo 4 I guess?

(as a non-american person, this is a spoof, right? Noone believes this,,,, right?)

Can't people both vote and buy Halo 4?

Meh, in Australia, voting is compulsory anyway, so I doubt a videogame would produce much of an impact on percentage turnout. I find American politics to be much more bombastic, so I guess an impact like that could be a bit of an upset, but I don't really understand it all that well anyway, to be honest. Interesting, if nothing else.

If they REALLY wanted to shake things up? If I were Microsoft, I'd offer a discount or rebate on Halo 4 if the customer produces proof that they voted. There are potential problems aplenty there, but that kind of concept might work.

MB202:
I get the feeling that, since Halo appeals more to the war-loving conservative base, THOSE people will more likely go out and buy Halo, meaning that Barack Obama should have an easy (or easier) win. It makes a lot of sense, in my mind anyway...

That almost completely contradicts every stereotype that people assume Republicans have or that they place on the gaming culture in general.

For example, aren't all Republicans stuffy old people who don't like new fangled video games, especially since they cause violence in all youngsters, as per this Fox News report?
So then why would any republican give up voting for their party for a video game.

In fact, its Bob's whole point that the youth vote is more likely to vote Democrat, and that Halo 4 would take away said votes.

We're not talking about 'real' adults, the age 35+ with families who have effectively made up their minds months (or years) ago, we're talking about the youth vote. The demographic that is most likely to vote for both Barrack Obama and have Video Gaming as a hobby.
Besides, I assure you I have friends who enjoy the likes of the MW series and Halo, who're voting Democrat, so they most certainly exist.

Edit: Me, I'll probably end up Midnight Releasing Halo 4 and voting anyway, assuming either candidate inspires anything in me.

You talked for an entire episode about that? Really? Next time, try keeping it exclusive to twitter .

Why bother voting at all? The American public votes don't matter, and the elections are rigged in favor to the one with the most corporate support and those with the dirtiest tactics.

This is coming from an American.

Falseprophet:
Do they not have advance polls in the US?

Only an option in a few places.

MaxFan:
Vote by mail, problem solved.

Only an option in a few other places. I plan on being able to take advantage of this myself.

Vault Citizen:

Yes. I know that my brother is taking that option himself, voting at about 9 AM, then going down 150 feet and buying Halo 4.

I agree with a lot of the obvious solutions between a Halo or voting split, just do both. It's relatively easy to vote, mail in or voting both here in the US. I can understand if others in my age demographic see voting as extra time consuming because they lack background on the new legislation they're voting for or against, but that's really the individuals fault. The government sends out free packets in advanced describing all the laws with their final prints in black and white, but if take five minutes I can still find a dozen people I know my age that won't vote.

Good show Bob, I rather enjoyed this episode. I haven't had this much conspiracy fun since the X-files.

Yeah, I've been really thinking this conspiracy theory of Bob's is quite a bit of a stretch. Obama isn't going to lose this election because of Halo 4 and I highly doubt anyone was ever going for that. It's really weird that he's this paranoid about this, especially considering the things he's said about the Cult of Rand and their master, Ron Paul.

Just going to point out that Mitt Romney is not the republican Nominee yet...

Meh I always just do early voting anyways.

I wish my country did not force me to vote. If I do not vote I pay a fine (2.25 US dollars) and can not become a public servant :(

On topic: it's a coincidence. Obama already said that is against regulating video games. That's all that they (the industry) ever wanted to hear.

scotth266:
The conspiracy theory is just that: a conspiracy theory.

DVS BSTrD:
Why couldn't you put this much effort into understanding ME3?

Seriously? Just drop it already. The ME3 thing is over. It's done. He had an unpopular opinion. Let. It. Go.

It's just insulting that he dismissed Retake Mass Effect out of hand, but goes to the trouble of calling the freaking president's campaign office over something as trivial as a Halo/Republican conspiracy theory. Does he REALLY have so little respect for gamers that he has to address the possibility that they might not be a capable of voting and buying a game on the same day?

Captch: Royal flush -_^
Does that mean I win?

Now, I'm not a US citizen, but I was under the impression that the conservative party was the people who dislike and try to pass legislation against games, game distributors and gamedevelopers for "corrupting the youth". Why would Microsoft want to influence the elections against the liberals in favor of someone who has apparently got some sort of deepseated grudge against them for the capitol crime of existing?

Interesting theory and there is a grain of truth to the theory but yeah I say it's mostly BS.
I would think more people namely in business would be more worried about a good chunk of there work force calling in with a case of the black death come Nov 8th.

In fact I think we should do what japan did and limit big game releases to Sunday, since Halo, GTA, and COD are America's Dragon Quest(ie for those that don't know, 3 million japanese call in sick when a new DQ comes out, I expect people calling in for a week after launch with DQX being an MMO). It makes more sense since more people will be off by default on Sunday and there is no polls open so it's a win-win.

Rsteffy:
Good show Bob, I rather enjoyed this episode. I haven't had this much conspiracy fun since the X-files.

Conspiracy always makes for some fun... but more importantly!

ARM --> CORE!!!

Jman1236:

In fact I think we should do what japan did and limit big game releases to Sunday, since Halo, GTA, and COD are America's Dragon Quest(ie for those that don't know, 3 million japanese call in sick when a new DQ comes out, I expect people calling in for a week after launch with DQX being an MMO). It makes more sense since more people will be off by default on Sunday and there is no polls open so it's a win-win.

Or hold the elections on Saturday when people are less likely to be burdened by work or other midweek commitments.

The people who would ditch voting to buy a game don't strike me as the kind of people who would bother voting in the first place. So what's the problem?

Vault Citizen:

Not quite seeing where the problem lies either. You go to your local gamestore, you pick up Halo 4, and while going home you pop in your vote. It takes, what, 5 minutes to vote?

o_O:
The people who would ditch voting to buy a game don't strike me as the kind of people who would bother voting in the first place. So what's the problem?

Voting is a very fragile thing, the people who bother to vote in the first place in fact generally don't drive elections and its much more about the people who may or may not vote if they feel like it on the day.

For example it's standard practice for parties to physically drive known potential voters/supporters to the election place so that they actually will register a vote.

EDIT: Here's an illustration
http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/election-day-weather-outlook_2010-11-01

Every inch of rain on election day decreases voter turnout by 1% and works out as a 2.5% gain for the republicans, since in recent times you've elected a President who had less than 50% of the vote compared to the other guy, that is a huge huge deal.

I'm to lazy to even eVote or mVote. The biggest lie in local politics is that it matters.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here