The Big Picture: One Day in November

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Meh, the ADD riddled populace that buy the game will get bored with it within a few hours. PLENTY of time to get out to vote.

DVS BSTrD:
It's just insulting that he dismissed Retake Mass Effect out of hand, but goes to the trouble of calling the freaking president over something as trivial as a Halo/Republican conspiracy theory. Does he REALLY have so little respect for gamers that he has to address the possibility that they might not be a capable of voting and buying a game on the same day?

He didn't call the president (doubt he'd get through anyway), he called the campaign office. Probably his local one which is one of several hundred in the country and are there for exactly that purpose.

Next, let's compare the two topics shall we?

- Electing the next 4 year leader of the country you live in in a time period of the country being the most divided it has been since the Civil War.

- Causing an uproar because a company didn't make an ending of a game precisely the way they wanted.

You are trying to say that the latter is CLEARLY more important than the former?

You need to look at your priorities.

If this happened in the UK you wouldnt notice a difference or there wouldnt even be a conspiracy theory, barely anyone gives a shit about voting over here. Even if we did, give it two weeks and we would be criticizing them and wanting then out already.

Satosuke:
If they REALLY wanted to shake things up? If I were Microsoft, I'd offer a discount or rebate on Halo 4 if the customer produces proof that they voted. There are potential problems aplenty there, but that kind of concept might work.

As much as I agree and would support this, such a tactic would imply that gaming companies actually have a social conscience.

Two things I wish didn't exist. Halo 4 and Mitt Romney.

Yes, I know that's a controversial opinion. For what its worth, if i could only obliterate one, it would be the batshit insane Mormon looking to take up seat in the oval office. No, this doesn't mean I'm super in favor of Obama either, but he's -less- batshit insane.

As for Halo? Well, I played the first three Halo games. I enjoyed them well enough. They were never a wealth of storytelling as far as I was concerned, but the arc between 1-3 was fun enough to see play out. The games are functionally entertaining, but I've never found myself in the online scene much, and even if i did want to play a FPS, it would probably be Counterstrike or something I have fond memories of on the PC. Its upsetting to me to see the Halo franchise dug up after its original developer put it to rest just for the money making aspect of it.

...Really? A conspiracy to get Mittington Romney the 109th elected, perpetrated by Microsoft through the use of Halo 4? Really?

...You know, I honestly believe that you believe this bollocks.

Also having to point out that games shouldn't take precedent over reality, well no shit sherlock, surprisingly people who play video games by in large aren't that fucking retarded.

Also, you might want to learn a few things about digital distribution regarding consoles, just saying.

DVS BSTrD:

scotth266:
The conspiracy theory is just that: a conspiracy theory.

DVS BSTrD:
Why couldn't you put this much effort into understanding ME3?

Seriously? Just drop it already. The ME3 thing is over. It's done. He had an unpopular opinion. Let. It. Go.

It's just insulting that he dismissed Retake Mass Effect out of hand, but goes to the trouble of calling the freaking president over something as trivial as a Halo/Republican conspiracy theory. Does he REALLY have so little respect for gamers that he has to address the possibility that they might not be a capable of voting and buying a game on the same day?

Captch: Royal flush -_^
Does that mean I win?

But you bring it up with EVERY FREAKING THING HE DOES!!!

And truthfully, you're just reinforcing the "ME3 fans are crybabies" stereotype.

Meh. Basically boils down to a reboot of the old "get out and vote" PSAs from a few years back.

I'm still convinced there's no real difference between the candidates, just a question of whether you want strawberry- or cherry-flavored evil. I'll save the gas, thanks.

(And I won't be buying Halo, either, so that doesn't factor into it.)

this wasn't as politic trolling as thought it was going to be. And while reading the line "not intended to endorse either candidate" my immediate thought was "may not be intending to but will", it actually came off fairly balanced(IMO, YMMV). I don't think it's a coincidence... but i don't think its suppose to change the voting demographics the way people may think it's suppose to.

I prefer to see that as an opportunity to go and vote, and while you're out anyway, go and pick up the game on the way home. Surely that seems like a more reasonable course of actions?
Still, very big picture, interesting view of what could come next.

No shallow swipes at Halo's expense? I'm positively shocked.

ranyilliams:
Just going to point out that Mitt Romney is not the republican Nominee yet...

Everyone but Ron Paul and Romney has dropped. Do you seriously expect Ron Paul to suddenly win everything? He'd have better luck running as an independent.

chaosyoshimage:
Yeah, I've been really thinking this conspiracy theory of Bob's is quite a bit of a stretch. Obama isn't going to lose this election because of Halo 4 and I highly doubt anyone was ever going for that. It's really weird that he's this paranoid about this, especially considering the things he's said about the Cult of Rand and their master, Ron Paul.

But... he's not though. That was the whole point of the episode. "Is such a thing possible? Yes. Is such a thing actually happening? Probably not."

I feel like some people spend too much time trying to rag on Bob that they overlook the content of the thin their criticizing.

As for the topic at hand, it's an interesting coincidence. Does make me wonder what all is actually done to subtly influence voter turnout on election day.

Mitt and Obama are so close, politically, that it doesn't really matter. They're both right-of-center, slightly authoritarian. It is a one party system masquerading as a two party system. Yes there are some differences, particularly social and religious, but those are mostly wedge issues and rabble-rouser issues that have so little impact on what really matters.

DVS BSTrD:

scotth266:
The conspiracy theory is just that: a conspiracy theory.

DVS BSTrD:
Why couldn't you put this much effort into understanding ME3?

Seriously? Just drop it already. The ME3 thing is over. It's done. He had an unpopular opinion. Let. It. Go.

Captch: Royal flush -_^
Does that mean I win?

When I saw your comments I had to re watch the episode. Basically all he said was that you should still be able it criticize it but suing the company takes things to far. It was just used as glossed over comparison to the Ninja Turtles thing. He made comments on twitter but that has nothing to do with the show. He didn't want to devote a whole episode to it and didn't need to because pretty much every one else did.

Aside form that, he didn't contact the President, he contacted the campaign, advertisers for the president. He also said that the release wouldn't affect any thing, but with more planning something could.

I find it far more likely that they're just trying to cash in on all the publicity surrounding the election. And look, it's working already.
As for me, I've never been in to Halo so Halo 4's release doesn't mean anything to me, but I'm also not American so I don't get to vote in your election either.

LordLundar:
Meh, the ADD riddled populace that buy the game will get bored with it within a few hours. PLENTY of time to get out to vote.

DVS BSTrD:

He didn't call the president (doubt he'd get through anyway), he called the campaign office. Probably his local one which is one of several hundred in the country and are there for exactly that purpose.

Next, let's compare the two topics shall we?

- Electing the next 4 year leader of the country you live in in a time period of the country being the most divided it has been since the Civil War.

- Causing an uproar because a company didn't make an ending of a game precisely the way they wanted.

You are trying to say that the latter is CLEARLY more important than the former?

You need to look at your priorities.

Let's REALLY compare the two topics

-weak hypothetical conspiracy theory that he's only giving more attention than it deserves by wasting an entire episode on it

-Something that actually DID happen.

RaikuFA:
[quote="DVS BSTrD" post="6.373472.14444921"]But you bring it up with EVERY FREAKING THING HE DOES!!!

And truthfully, you're just reinforcing the "ME3 fans are crybabies" stereotype.

Hey, Not everything

--

Mangod:
Now, I'm not a US citizen, but I was under the impression that the conservative party was the people who dislike and try to pass legislation against games, game distributors and gamedevelopers for "corrupting the youth". Why would Microsoft want to influence the elections against the liberals in favor of someone who has apparently got some sort of deepseated grudge against them for the capitol crime of existing?

Video games are pretty much both sides whipping blocks "for the sake of the children". In fact, I remember looking up that most of the video game legislation on the Congressional level has been brought up by Democrats. That was a few years ago. Republicans are however much less likely to enact broader legislation against corporations in general. However much money Microsoft makes through video games pales in comparison to their total corporate amounts.

---

One aspect to this that's interesting that no one has mentioned is that the so called "youth vote" typically had terrible voter turn out. You're much better off selling a message to seniors who bank in the highest percentages for voting.

Vault Citizen:
Can't people both vote and buy Halo 4?

Now, you see, in a "normal" country that would be the case, but the USA is a country where election even has a possibility of being controlled by people who
a) have an xbox
b) will by a game at launch date no matter what (no matter what side you may be on, still is kind of a deciding on the future of the country and you might even count the world)
c) buy a game where the main character is named "Master Chief", that's right, most people call him by his rank

...so yeah, that's the country with the biggest nuclear armament in the world.

Microsoft marketing guys are either stupid or politically careless or intentionally almost breaking the law. Either way, day before or day after would've been better.

This episode really did feel like a Big Picture I never would of thought. But moving on, I honestly don't see what the big deal is in voting or not voting. It's a short process and I have heard of some businesses and places of work that will give you an hour off work (paid and not taken off your lunch break) to go out an vote.

I'm sorry to say but the people that don't vote, don't care (which honestly is a reason and I can't judge them if that's the case) or are too lazy.

this is the most intelligent thing Bob has ever done. Good video

Of course, if we were a civilized country we'd make Election Day a national holiday and it would be less of an issue.

Mcoffey:

chaosyoshimage:
Yeah, I've been really thinking this conspiracy theory of Bob's is quite a bit of a stretch. Obama isn't going to lose this election because of Halo 4 and I highly doubt anyone was ever going for that. It's really weird that he's this paranoid about this, especially considering the things he's said about the Cult of Rand and their master, Ron Paul.

But... he's not though. That was the whole point of the episode. "Is such a thing possible? Yes. Is such a thing actually happening? Probably not."

I feel like some people spend too much time trying to rag on Bob that they overlook the content of the thin their criticizing.

As for the topic at hand, it's an interesting coincidence. Does make me wonder what all is actually done to subtly influence voter turnout on election day.

It's still a pretty farfetched leap, and we have just as much right to criticize the point of this video as Bob does in making it. I just think it was a really silly topic and didn't really need to be expanded beyond Bob's tweets pertaining to the subject. Critizing the critic is a perfectly viable response to any critique, what, do you want everyone's replies to be: "Yep, I agree Bob!"?

18-30 major audience for Halo ? You high Boby ?

While it certainly is possible, as politics isn't the most straight of operations, it doesn't sound like a move a software company would make.

Does make me wonder WHY they did choose that dat as opposed to say November 7th or even the following weekend. What is it about that Tuesday that makes them want to release it?

Only reason I could think of is that a release in November gives stores time to restock the game for Black Friday after the initial launch. But middle of the week and corresponding to an important date in American politics... Unless there's a crafty ad campaign coming out of this I'll see little point to it.

An awesome ad campaign around this though would be cool. Vote and then pick up Halo 4.

Mangod:
Now, I'm not a US citizen, but I was under the impression that the conservative party was the people who dislike and try to pass legislation against games, game distributors and gamedevelopers for "corrupting the youth". Why would Microsoft want to influence the elections against the liberals in favor of someone who has apparently got some sort of deepseated grudge against them for the capitol crime of existing?

Because money.

Neither corporations nor politicians care about all that "feelings" stuff; it's just fodder to keep the press talking about them.

I'm with you, Bob; I'm guessing this is pretty innocuous.

I often encourage my fellow citizens to get involved in the election process. Generally, that includes openly mocking those who proclaim with seeming zeal how they did not vote and those who did are marks.

That being said, I also believe there are far FAR too many people who are more concerned with Snooki and other bullshit like that.

My point is that maybe, if you're too consumed with a video game to participate in choosing the MOST POWERFUL PERSON IN THE WORLD, then maybe it's best for everyone that person just sit their dumbass at home.

chaosyoshimage:

Mcoffey:

chaosyoshimage:

It's still a pretty farfetched leap, and we have just as much right to criticize the point of this video as Bob does in making it. I just think it was a really silly topic and didn't really need to be expanded beyond Bob's tweets pertaining to the subject. Critizing the critic is a perfectly viable response to any critique, what, do you want everyone's replies to be: "Yep, I agree Bob!"?

I don't think this was an episode about some "hot-button" issue to spur debate. It was just another one of the "Interesting Tidbit" episodes, of which he's already done a few. All conspiracy theories are farfetched (To a degree), and Bob agrees that this one is too. What he's saying is that it isn't impossible for politicians to do something tangentially similar in order to affect the numbers. That, and the "Make sure you vote" bit at the end.

And it's one thing to disagree with someone, but a lot of the criticism of Bob I've seen is nothing more than people bitching and badmouthing him. Disagreeing is fine, but stooping to personal insults just makes the attacker look childish.

Well aren't gamers supposed to be able to multi task... you know "frag noobs whilst voting"!.. ;)
Or why not just go vote and then go pick up game and frag noobs... OK I'm not interested in Halo so I wouldn't "get it" anyway ;)....

So far I've voted in 6/8 things I could vote in and the two I didn't, well it's because it's to weird/absurd to vote in anyhow... And the american political system is f*cked up since most of the politicians work way to hard to please big corps and to little to help the "little" guy...

It's hard to think the release date was picked by accident, particularly when there's no law to day you can't release a game on a Wednesday, or Friday and it isn't unprecidented for big ticket games to do that. Still, conspiracy theorists get it backwards by assigning desired motives to actual actions instead of taking an objective view.

On the one hand, yes, this could surpess the youth vote, on the other hand since the game (while not Call of Duty) is perhaps more the taste of NRA members perhaps they're the ones being surpressed. Or on the third hand, some that might not have voted may asy "well, as long as I'm out of the house..." thus promoting either group to vote.

My theory, they want the free publicity this will get from the pundants that come up with the same half assed theories. This kind of thing is not ending up on Stewart or Colbert.

I'm surprised that gamers don't vote while downloading Halo from Steam.

The youth vote, one of the most useless campaign statistics to watch in the election year.

Look up voting registration

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/elections/voting-age_population_and_voter_participation.html

You can see that the registered youth make up a tiny fraction of registered voters. Here's an example,

in 2010 there were 12 million youth registered, of those, 49 percent stated that they voted in the election; compare that to 80 million registered senior citizens in the 2010 of which 70 percent voted.

Young people do not go out and vote as much as any other age demographic. That has been a statistical fact. The idea that any corporation would try to influence the election via the youth vote implies implies that they are betting on the race being so close that it could be decided by a few million votes.

Mousse Templar:
At 4:45 - However
I almost plotzed.

Oh well another reason to get Halo 4 I guess?

(as a non-american person, this is a spoof, right? Noone believes this,,,, right?)

No, I don't believe that they did this on purpose. I believe someone over there deciding the dates thought "Hey, this is an election day" and then proceeded to not care.

But still, a pretty valid point. Taking the day off to play video games is a much more common thing than people think it is, so I think a few voters aren't gonna be out there.

What really concerns me is why the guys over at 343 really wanna compete with CoD sales.

Jetsetneo:

MB202:
I get the feeling that, since Halo appeals more to the war-loving conservative base, THOSE people will more likely go out and buy Halo, meaning that Barack Obama should have an easy (or easier) win. It makes a lot of sense, in my mind anyway...

That almost completely contradicts every stereotype that people assume Republicans have or that they place on the gaming culture in general.

For example, aren't all Republicans stuffy old people who don't like new fangled video games, especially since they cause violence in all youngsters, as per this Fox News report?
So then why would any republican give up voting for their party for a video game.

In fact, its Bob's whole point that the youth vote is more likely to vote Democrat, and that Halo 4 would take away said votes.

We're not talking about 'real' adults, the age 35+ with families who have effectively made up their minds months (or years) ago, we're talking about the youth vote. The demographic that is most likely to vote for both Barrack Obama and have Video Gaming as a hobby.
Besides, I assure you I have friends who enjoy the likes of the MW series and Halo, who're voting Democrat, so they most certainly exist.

Edit: Me, I'll probably end up Midnight Releasing Halo 4 and voting anyway, assuming either candidate inspires anything in me.

I dunno, I was thinking of this old thing that "Conservative Culture Critics" were saying thas "Video games are more patriotic than movies, because Hollywood is controlled by liberals".

Maybe it doesn't really make sense, but that's just how I saw it... for a time, anyway. You're also right.

Well, Im not sure who to respond to this without some element of snarky-ness.

Im curious as to how hard is it to vote? Maybe its because I live literally less than a hundred steps from the school that I go to vote, but I cant see driving to your local voting place and actually voting taking up more time than standing in a line at the local gamestop to pick up Halo 4.

I also feel that most of the young votes that got Obama in office pretty much voted him in because he was different than the other 43 guys before him. Nevermind bothering to ask them what his policies were.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here