The Big Picture: One Day in November

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

DVS BSTrD:
Why couldn't you put this much effort into understanding ME3?

He only did that to stir up controversy and therefore get more views. Even if he did read into it, he'd keep the apology silent because he knows people like you will be looking for one and potentially net him more views. He has said he does this. I can't remember the exact video though.

Smart thing to do would be to take everything Bob says with a mountain of salt. His stuff on here is dripping with his own biases and opinions, not to mention a hefty helping of fan baiting. This is his job remember, he has to bring in views somehow.

Has no one heard of ABSENTEE BALLOTS? Geez, it's the easiest thing in the world. Get it in the mail, check some boxes, mail it back. Go buy Halo on election day. A win for everyone. Maybe not every state offers absentee ballots. Can someone help me out here?

PsychedelicDiamond:
You know... i think people who would rather play a video game instead of voting in one of the worlds most important political elections have no business voting anyway. I mean, dude, the game can wait.

Indeed. I personally wouldn't want any person who sees Halo 4 (or any other big release for that matter) as more important than contributing to the future leadership decision of your country to actually be voting in the first place.

OT: Yeah, I think this is purely coincidental.

GameStop has announced that persons wishing to buy Halo 4, in order to actually receive their copy on 6 November, will be required to produce their ballot stub*. Persons without a ballot stub will have to prove they are ineligible to vote (too young, felony conviction, etc.). All others will be able to pick up their copy the following day.

(*not really.)

So the basic message is 'Vote!'. I can only agree with that. I'm not in the US, but I will be voting come September.

What's this? Research? Balanced opinions? Use of sources in context? No ignorant bile directed at Halo or the people who enjoy it?

THIS IS MADNESS! IT'S THE ENDTIMES!

FIRE RAINING FROM THE SKY, RIVERS AND SEAS BOILING, THE DEAD RISING FROM THE GRAVE, DOGS AND CAT LIVING TOGETHER, MASS HYSTERIA!!!!

vxicepickxv:

Falseprophet:
Do they not have advance polls in the US?

Only an option in a few places.

Thanks for enlightening me, I appreciate it.

You're telling me people can't vote and buy a game at the same time? Well not even the same time, just in the same day.

Jesus, go vote and on your way home pick up the game.

I still wish Halo 4 would just not come out at all. Or, if it did, they'd at least have the decency to call it Halo 5 or 6.

Well, color me a conspiracy theorist because I don't think this was "coincidental" at all. I love how they act like the date was handed down to them by the angel Gabriel. Don't be surprised if they start making arguments about artistic integrity to defend the release date. However, I do think it's silly to think it will have a large impact on overall turnout or something, but I think Bob left out a key point in his analysis.

This election will likely not only be divisive, but CLOSE. What 2000 (should have) taught us is that we don't really have national elections, we have Florida elections. 2008 wasn't really a close election in terms of national mood, but the two before that came down singularly to Florida. It's especially important for Romney, if he loses Florida then the math becomes all but impossible for him, he would have to win a historically blue state like Pennsylvania with all of the other 04 Bush states in order to win. If Obama loses Florida, the math also becomes hard, but less so because he would just need to win some of the states he won 08.

So if the race is more or less a statistical dead heat and very close, all it will take is a tiny amount of voters staying home to win the election. If it does come down to a recount or something in Florida again, those handfuls of young voters that chose Halo over voting might be enough to swing the whole thing, regardless of what the popular vote is nationally.

Microsoft also has pretty much nothing to lose besides a tiny bit of PR points, something they haven't cared about much ever. If it is a silly strategy then it won't matter, but if it works then the stuffed-shirted executives at the top of Microsoft will get their guy.

I love how people act like voting is some all important thing that everyone should do like it will make some god damn difference.

Obama is still corrupt.

Romney is still corrupt.

Nothing changes. Doesn't really matter who anyone here votes for because we're still continuing our downward spiral regardless.

So basically, Bob had nothing to do for a week and decided to investigate something absolutely stupid.

DVS BSTrD:

scotth266:
The conspiracy theory is just that: a conspiracy theory.

DVS BSTrD:

Seriously? Just drop it already. The ME3 thing is over. It's done. He had an unpopular opinion. Let. It. Go.

It's just insulting that he dismissed Retake Mass Effect out of hand, but goes to the trouble of calling the freaking president's campaign office over something as trivial as a Halo/Republican conspiracy theory. Does he REALLY have so little respect for gamers that he has to address the possibility that they might not be a capable of voting and buying a game on the same day?

Well fundamentally the issue here is this was an interesting quirky concept that he pretty thoroughly debunked in order to establish the basis for an appeal for gamers to pay attention to the real world and point out a potential abuse/manipulation that we could (or will most likely) be subjected to in the near future.

American Politics is dirty pool and if manipulating the interests of key demographics in anything up to and including borderline illegal ways will potentially swing an election for either party, I have no illusions that it's the game they would play. The video was more about potential manipulations that might bear a similarity to this most likely innocuous video game release date.

Retake Mass Effect on the other hand was about fans of a series whining that the designers and writers of said series didn't do it the way the fans wanted it done, rather than respecting whatever shred of artistic credibility the creators of a story should have.

Master Chief for president?

So when Bob wants something for us to engage in, he says "we the gamers" and when gamers are in general dissatisfied with something, it's "you the gamers".

Not saying he's not right, it's just dissapointingly obvious that he has no loyalties to the gaming subculture unless it suits his interests.

In the UK the next election will be brutal. We have 3 main parties, America has 2 main parties. These are split into "party for the poor" and "party for the rich".....the 3rd party are losers in the middle. Being how fucked up the current "party for the rich" government is (as in raising tax for poor people, cutting benefits but lowering income tax for the rich....wtf!)I predict people will vote for marginal parties. Like UKIP and BNP.....the worrying thing is the BNP have a history comparable to the KKK and Neo Nazi parties.

Thing is, you push the people and they will push back.

Double

ya i stopped registering to vote long ago, got tired of being called in for jury duty, not to mention this years canidates are just like kerry and bush, two bowls of crap and you really cant tell which one smells worse

Allthingsspectacular:
I love how people act like voting is some all important thing that everyone should do like it will make some god damn difference.

Obama is still corrupt.

Romney is still corrupt.

Nothing changes. Doesn't really matter who anyone here votes for because we're still continuing our downward spiral regardless.

Its the lesser of two evils. The governments in the UK are voted in based on pledges and promises to the public. Our current government has failed on every promise they made, in fact it down right lied.

Now why, in a civilised and democratic society, why cant we kick these fuckers out for lying? They were voted in based on promises they made, if they lied about it or, in fact, did the opposite of what they promised they would do, why cant we get rid of them? If i lied on a job interview I would be sacked once they found out. Why not the government? Guess democracy still has a long way to go.

Mournblade94:
[quote="PsychedelicDiamond" post="6.373472.14444780"]You know... i think people who would rather play a video game instead of voting in one of the worlds most important political elections have no business voting anyway. I mean, dude, the game can wait.

And yet one vote is statistically insignificant. I am a registered voter, but I rarely go to the polls. It just doesn't matter if one CHOOSES to vote or not. I am VERY well informed. I often choose not to vote, because I know my one vote makes no difference. Your 1 vote could not even count as a significant digit unless we were molecular biologists working in the microliter range.

I will vote for a president when they can demonstrate they are not in league with Wall Street. Barak Obama I think is even more in league with wall street than Bush. Why would I vote for him? Maybe to keep someone that is MORE in league with Wall Street out like Mitt Romney? NO thankyou.

I'll play video games where I can make more of a difference.

Yes yes, I know. What if everyone felt that way? They don't so no harm no foul.

If you can't get to a voting booth and pick up your Halo4 pre-order copy. You deserve to be taken out and shot. That said I will not be voting or buying Halo 4, because I'm a bitter libertarian.

scotth266:

DVS BSTrD:

Seriously? Just drop it already. The ME3 thing is over. It's done. He had an unpopular opinion. Let. It. Go.

Unpopular or not, I agreed with his opinion to a point. Should he have backed off and not been so in-your-face about it, yes. But I still think he made the best point overall.

OT: I find it ironic that I am Obama's target age demographic. Yet I have no intention of buying Halo 4 or voting for him. So all of these conspiracy worries don't have anything to do with me in the slightest. And those are my two-cents for the day. :D

Mournblade94:

PsychedelicDiamond:
You know... i think people who would rather play a video game instead of voting in one of the worlds most important political elections have no business voting anyway. I mean, dude, the game can wait.

And yet one vote is statistically insignificant. I am a registered voter, but I rarely go to the polls. It just doesn't matter if one CHOOSES to vote or not. I am VERY well informed. I often choose not to vote, because I know my one vote makes no difference.

...except that, by voicing out loud that sentiment, you propably just DID change a couple of more active voters into non-actives. And if they have a loud mouth as well, then the snowball effect is in full roll.

One person not voting doesn't change elections, but one person loudly not voting can tilt the scale somewhat.

Retake Mass Effect on the other hand was about fans of a series whining that the designers and writers of said series didn't do it the way the fans wanted it done, rather than respecting whatever shred of artistic credibility the creators of a story should have.[/quote]

Incorrect. It was serious minded fans criticizing a developer for abandoning their artistic credibility.

double

DVS BSTrD:

LordLundar:
Meh, the ADD riddled populace that buy the game will get bored with it within a few hours. PLENTY of time to get out to vote.

[quote="DVS BSTrD" post="6.373472.14444921"]

And truthfully, you're just reinforcing the "ME3 fans are crybabies" stereotype.

Hey, Not everything

Dude did you just quote yourself?

That's pretty weak.

kuolonen:

Mournblade94:

PsychedelicDiamond:

And yet one vote is statistically insignificant. I am a registered voter, but I rarely go to the polls. It just doesn't matter if one CHOOSES to vote or not. I am VERY well informed. I often choose not to vote, because I know my one vote makes no difference.

...except that, by voicing out loud that sentiment, you propably just DID change a couple of more active voters into non-actives. And if they have a loud mouth as well, then the snowball effect is in full roll.

One person not voting doesn't change elections, but one person loudly not voting can tilt the scale somewhat.

Not voting is still a choice. If people for some reason feel what I have said will make them not vote, I am OK with that.

We have the electoral college. That alone is reason enough not to vote.

To be cynical about it: Voting in the US seems entirely pointless.
The US will still negate human rights when see fit, bully any other nation and wage war all around the globe while exploiting the shit out of third world countries no matter which douchebag party wins.

Considering this playing Halo 4 seems time better spend...

Of course Microsoft spreads out it's money, and gives the most to the current president. They use that to buy political influence. That way, even if the person they want doesn't win, they still have the winner in their pocket. The one you want to spend the most money on is the incumbent president. For one, he is the current president. Two, he has been the sure fire Democratic nominee. On the Republican side they needed to spread out some money until a clear winner took shape. So the majority of money going to Obama is not surprising. I am sure if Romney was the incumbent and Obama was still going through the primaries with other Democratic nominees, the money would be swapped.

My whole point is you cannot make a conclusion from where the money is going. A company is often going to give to both sides, and a Republican nominee was not determined until recently. If anything the conclusion should be made on the cumulative money of Republicans during the primaries vs. just Obama.

So, with that eliminated it makes the waters a little murkier. Plus, we need to understand who determines the release date. The company as a whole does not do that. Microsoft is big, and their political contribution group is probably not part of that decision. It really could be 1 person or a small group of people that chose that date on purpose due to the election. At least this is a conspiracy theory that makes some sense and not some huge convoluted conspiracy that would take world wide coordination.

Luckily I don't care about Halo4 or even live in US
But interesting theory (although only total moron would sit and stare at download progress bar)

Mangod:
Why would Microsoft want to influence the elections against the liberals in favor of someone who has apparently got some sort of deepseated grudge against them for the capitol crime of existing?

Well, the video-game-hating crowd are only really concerned about games with violent/adult content. Those games can only make up a tiny percentage of Microsoft's overall sales (especially when you take all of their non-video-game products into account).

Couple that with the fact that (I think?) Republicans are more "big business friendly" (lower taxes, etc.) and it probably would make more financial sense to back the Republican camp even if it meant restricting the sales of a few 18-rated titles.

But I'm not an American (or a business expert) either, so that's just speculation! I think the conspiracy theory is likely to be nonsense.

SonOfVoorhees:
In the UK the next election will be brutal. We have 3 main parties, America has 2 main parties. These are split into "party for the poor" and "party for the rich".....the 3rd party are losers in the middle. Being how fucked up the current "party for the rich" government is (as in raising tax for poor people, cutting benefits but lowering income tax for the rich....wtf!)I predict people will vote for marginal parties. Like UKIP and BNP.....the worrying thing is the BNP have a history comparable to the KKK and Neo Nazi parties.

Thing is, you push the people and they will push back.

Labour hasn't been the party for the working class since Neil Kinnock, New Labour is basically a cross between the Tories and the Lib Dems. At least thats how it seems to me. Although I won't be voting for any of them, they are all a bunch of 'brushed aluminium cyber-pricks'.

British elections are like Alien vs Predator: Whoever wins we lose.

This conspiracy theory is such a giant stretch... Really, this is just way too unbelievable.

Mournblade94:

Mournblade94:
[quote="PsychedelicDiamond" post="6.373472.14444780"]You know... i think people who would rather play a video game instead of voting in one of the worlds most important political elections have no business voting anyway. I mean, dude, the game can wait.

And yet one vote is statistically insignificant. I am a registered voter, but I rarely go to the polls. It just doesn't matter if one CHOOSES to vote or not. I am VERY well informed. I often choose not to vote, because I know my one vote makes no difference. Your 1 vote could not even count as a significant digit unless we were molecular biologists working in the microliter range.

I will vote for a president when they can demonstrate they are not in league with Wall Street. Barak Obama I think is even more in league with wall street than Bush. Why would I vote for him? Maybe to keep someone that is MORE in league with Wall Street out like Mitt Romney? NO thankyou.

I'll play video games where I can make more of a difference.

I never really understood this opinion if the system is so corrupt and is all the politicians are so awful why not do something about it. Don't sit on your ass and complain get out there and start your own campaign based around doing what is right for the people first and corporations second. There are enough people out there with the same feelings as you there is your votes and support right there hell you can use online support places like kickstart. You won't though because just like everyone else it is easier to complain and do nothing than to be bothered.

DVS BSTrD:

scotth266:

DVS BSTrD:

It's just insulting that he dismissed Retake Mass Effect out of hand, but goes to the trouble of calling the freaking president's campaign office over something as trivial as a Halo/Republican conspiracy theory. Does he REALLY have so little respect for gamers that he has to address the possibility that they might not be a capable of voting and buying a game on the same day?

right, cause the implications here are somehow less important then a bunch of butt hurt fanboys whining cause a video game didn't end to they're liking.

simple fact is if this was true, it would be a lot more important then the up roar over some ending, whats more, just because its false this time, doesn't mean it still can't happen.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here