The Big Picture: One Day in November

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Wait, so games don't usually come out around elections? Personally it sounds a good idea to release a game at a time both near the start of the month after people get payed and when there's very little competition.

ThunderCavalier:

lol, I guess I screwed up that distinction, didn't I?

Even then, though, the divisive split between Americans for Republicans and Democrats means that, more than likely, we'll see a Congress and a House that's still pretty much split evenly between the two parties, meaning that we're still going to have a deadlock. Neither Romney nor Obama, imo, look like they'll be able to persuade or compromise any bill to adequately please both parties, so any action they pass in THAT regard is going to stagnate in the Congress for months at end.

I'm not disillusioned with the presidency; I'm disillusioned with our government in general. I know that, throughout history, both Republicans and Democrats have been trying to tear each other's throats out, but I haven't exactly seen a president in recent years or a united Congress/House in recent years that might be able to get SOME progress in. It still seems like the same old crap we saw back in the last election, and the last election before that, so I'm predicting we'll still have the same old four years.

Thus why I'm not going to vote; I don't see any significant change that anyone's going to bring in the next few years.

Look, laws passed is only 10% of the work done. 90% is in execution: executive power. The laws america has are good enough, the real power is in the executive, like the example I gave of Obama exercising his executive power to not enforce federal Marijuana laws where marijuana is permitted by the state i.e. California's Medical Marijuana.

Remember the serving President also chooses Supreme Court Judges. You may not keep up on politics but their decision have HUGE ramifications!

I don't think you realise how significant the President is on SO MANY MANY DECISIONS!

Stop voting for a PRESIDENT and expecting the CONGRESS to change! Voter turnout in congressional elections is even lower, why? Because people like you say "it's futile". This is the same logic of insignificance-individual-contribution that pirates use to pirate their games, yet act surprised when they favourite studios turn bankrup to spite playing all their games... by pirating them.

Please, PLEASE vote! You don't have to announce your vote and argue your point or have to take abuse for voting for one or the other, you should exercise your most solemn right: the right to a secret vote. If anyone ever asks you "well who did you vote for" tell them it is a secret. If they bark at you "why won't you tell your vote" because it is supposed to be a FREE VOTE! Having to explain your stance limits your vote by your ability to explain and defend it.

You NEVER have to publically justify you vote, even the the point of never having to announce your vote. But please, PLEASE, actually follow your decision through. Votes are won by SUCH SLIM MARGINS. Literally, whether you vote one way or another can have a HUGE significance one the outcome. Do not buy into the LIE that your vote is worthless.

Why choose between Halo and Voting? I can do two things...

Wieke:

Sonic Doctor:
Snip

And all of a sudden I understand the relatively low voter turnout in the states (that and voter-apathy due to living in a, for all intents and purposes, 2 party country).

Do you have to register to vote once per election or just every time you move? (If so not that dissimilar from what we do here, each time you move (even within a single municipality) you have to inform your local government (which can be done online, yay).)

A minimum of 5 to 10 miles (8 to 16 km) to the nearest polling place?! Damn those scale differences between the states and the Netherlands just keep surprising me. Let's run the numbers. The city I live in (Nijmegen) has about 165000 inhabitants and is about 57 km^2 (~22 miles^2) in size, the closest city is Arnhem (~141000 inhabitants) and lies at a distance of about 17 km (~10 miles). During the last elections there were 97 polling places in Nijmegen, about 1.6 per km^2 or about 4.3 per mile^2.

Sounds to me like the states needs a reliable system for voting over the internet. Mmm apparently we used such a thing in 2006 to allow expats to vote in the elections, Rijnland Internet Election System.

Yeah, it's just when people move that they have to re-register. As far as I know, there is no way to register online, and we definitely don't have a way to vote online because there is a lot of fear of people hacking the system in favor of one candidate or the other.

On the voting places, as far as I know they are only allowed to be housed/held in government or certain public buildings(like schools).

The city I live in has a total area of 23.36 square miles (60.5 km^2), and a estimated population of around eighty-one thousand. So it is basically a little bit bigger than your city, and only has a little less than half the number ofinhabitants I tried to find out how many voting places there were during the last presidential election, but I couldn't. I would say that being generous with the number, I would say that there would be no more than 15 places. They just don't let any old place house voting areas. They have to be large enough to hold many people and also be a secure setting so things stay under control.

Treblaine:
Look, laws passed is only 10% of the work done. 90% is in execution: executive power. The laws america has are good enough, the real power is in the executive, like the example I gave of Obama exercising his executive power to not enforce federal Marijuana laws where marijuana is permitted by the state i.e. California's Medical Marijuana.

Remember the serving President also chooses Supreme Court Judges. You may not keep up on politics but their decision have HUGE ramifications!

I don't think you realise how significant the President is on SO MANY MANY DECISIONS!

Stop voting for a PRESIDENT and expecting the CONGRESS to change! Voter turnout in congressional elections is even lower, why? Because people like you say "it's futile". This is the same logic of insignificance-individual-contribution that pirates use to pirate their games, yet act surprised when they favourite studios turn bankrup to spite playing all their games... by pirating them.

Please, PLEASE vote! You don't have to announce your vote and argue your point or have to take abuse for voting for one or the other, you should exercise your most solemn right: the right to a secret vote. If anyone ever asks you "well who did you vote for" tell them it is a secret. If they bark at you "why won't you tell your vote" because it is supposed to be a FREE VOTE! Having to explain your stance limits your vote by your ability to explain and defend it.

You NEVER have to publically justify you vote, even the the point of never having to announce your vote. But please, PLEASE, actually follow your decision through. Votes are won by SUCH SLIM MARGINS. Literally, whether you vote one way or another can have a HUGE significance one the outcome. Do not buy into the LIE that your vote is worthless.

Pretty damn inspirational words. Ever think of running for a political office yourself?

Being serious, though, you do bring up a good point. Heh, you've at least convinced me. :) I guess I could go out and vote, then.

Who says that you NEED to grab a game on release day? For that matter, these big games ALWAYS get a midnight release, so we might as well just pick it up then. November always seems to be a good month to release games. Look at last november. We got Skyrim, Assassins creed revelations, saints row 3 and a couple others that weren't nearly as fun.

anian:

Vault Citizen:
Can't people both vote and buy Halo 4?

Now, you see, in a "normal" country that would be the case, but the USA is a country where election even has a possibility of being controlled by people who
a) have an xbox
b) will by a game at launch date no matter what (no matter what side you may be on, still is kind of a deciding on the future of the country and you might even count the world)
c) buy a game where the main character is named "Master Chief", that's right, most people call him by his rank

...so yeah, that's the country with the biggest nuclear armament in the world.

Microsoft marketing guys are either stupid or politically careless or intentionally almost breaking the law. Either way, day before or day after would've been better.

This is a rambling, incoherent post that means nothing and adds nothing to the conversation. The only intent is to take a jab at the US and show off poor grammar. I'm guessing you're from the UK since you sound like all the other America hating Brits on this site. Seriously, go fuck yourself.

erttheking:

Adam Jensen:
The biggest lie in the world is the belief that presidential elections mean anything. People vote for their favorite candidate, sure. But then other, more powerful people get to control the president. This isn't a conspiracy theory, it's how politics works. Politicians are being run by lobbyists. It's the sad reality. People get the illusion of democracy, and it's good enough for most of them. The problem is, people are waking up. The more you fuck with them the faster they're gonna wake up. Internet is the biggest contributor to that. No wonder corporations want it censored. I can say with 90% certainty that by the end of this decade people will be fed up with all this bullshit.

Yes, cooperations control everything, freedom is just an illusion, we're slaves, SLAVES! It's not like Republicans and Democrats regularly change seats in the house and senate depending on public opinion (which more or less seesaws), and that government policies change depending on who is control. Obama Care would have been passed even if Democrats weren't in control of the senate at the time...Also, the government caused 9/11, the moon landing was faked, and Jesus was an alien, they knew it and no one is telling us TAI YONG MEDICAL CONTROLS THE WORLD...I dunno, call me a brainwashed idiot if you want but I smell bull.

Nice SMT Nocturne reference.

I'm surprised at how jaded many of the posters here are. Yes the average american is at a disadvantage when large corporations can pour millions of dollars into lobbying for their interests, but our votes still count even if not 100% of what they should.

I also can't understand how people can claim that the two candidates are the same. Anyone who is actually aware of the current issues contested between the candidates, and women in particular should be very involved as there are some REALLY big issues related to them, will know that the two candidates are most definitely NOT the same thing.

I saw a previous poster call Obama a war monger. Really? For going after the people who were responsible for 9/11 instead of Iraq and for, just a few days ago, announcing the end and demobilization of the U.S. army in Afghanistan since we killed the person we were after?

I'm willing to bet good money that 99% of the people here making sweeping generalizations about the candidates or expressing their cynicism for the system don't actually know what is actually current in politics. Even if you felt helpless to cause change, you should still educate yourself. Most of you jaded types just come across as being ignorant. Again, if you are a woman and you can tell me with a straight face that both candidates are the same then you need to get up-to-date on politics ASAP. Your pay and your right to health services are in jeopardy at the moment on account of the differences between the two candidates.

Hmm....I never really noticed this. Maybe it's because i have no idea about American politics or the fact that 6/11 was election day, but now that you mention it, it does sound rather iffy. Probably nothing.

Anyway, great episode this week, looking forward to next week's.

Treblaine:

zombflux:
I'm 18-20, but I won't be buying Halo 4 since the Halo franchise is nothing reskins of a mediocre console FPS, and I won't be voting since I don't want either candidate to win. I'd vote for Ron Paul, but I'd be wasting my time.

You do know that not voting for either of them won't mean that neither of them get the job?

Surely there is one you would PREFER to have as president? You not voting is not going to be interpreted as protest, it's going to be interpreted as laziness. If you have to choose between a ham sandwich and a dirt sandwich, pick the ham sandwich even if you don't like ham. You do not have a choice on no sandwich, come 2013 America WILL get a new President.

You don't have to like either of the candidates, you just have to decide. It's like being on a jury deciding if a man is either "Guilty" or "not Guilty", you aren't voting for the winner of Big Brother. You just have to decide of the candidates which is best for the job.

The only reason I'd have for deliberately not voting (if I was capable of) is if I REALLY COULD NOT DECIDE which was better or worse or I thought it really wouldn't matter which got elected.

I don't care if it's interpreted as laziness. Until they get rid of the "two" party system, voting is a joke. This country is a joke. Ron Paul is best for the job. Ron Paul can not win, so I'm not going to vote, because I'm "lazy".

zombflux:

I don't care if it's interpreted as laziness. Until they get rid of the "two" party system, voting is a joke. This country is a joke. Ron Paul is best for the job. Ron Paul can not win, so I'm not going to vote, because I'm "lazy".

I don't get it, what is your problem with the two party system?

Don't act like you are limited to two choices, you can vote in the primaries/caucuses

And stop going on with this "laziness" straw man, I NEVER suggested nor insinuated that, and you insinuate that IS my point with putting "lazy" in quotation marks as if it is relevant to my post and "I don't care if It is interpreted as laziness" as if I or anyone on these forums thinks that.

I'll spell it out what I think is wrong with your reasoning, your idealism is at odds with democracy. If people only ever voted for their IDEAL candidate then NO ONE would EVER vote! I'd really like James Randi to be President of the united states, it's NOT going to happen but that's not a reason not to vote (the fact that I'm not a US citizen is the reason).

He's a question, did you vote for Ron Paul in the Caucus? If not, then you can't really complain he isn't one of the candidates. And if he isn't a candidate, then that doesn't mean you cannot vote for the politicians who most closely match his policies. Remember DO NOT hold the illusion that not voting for either means you won't get either.

Be honest, between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama, there IS one you rather have in office come 2013?

As Brit I have to warn against a 3 party system, right now our parliament is split three ways and it is a complete mess, not as bad as the mess of the Weimar republic that was so fractured that the Nazis were able to seize power but it's no advantage.

I would be among the first to go republican bashing over this if it made sense. They are the logical target. What with all the extra corporate backing Romney has & the voted suppression. Hope Microsoft pushes the date back a day or two for the USA.

Something the slimiest of our politicians and CEOs might pull but i don't think this was anymore than one dumb-asses stupid date planning. Unless... The person choosing the date was extra crazy and wanted to influence votes on his own. Doubt it though. Probably multiple people picking dates.

Treblaine:
Snip

Obama. By far i would take a man whose promises mean fuck all, over a crazy man whose promises are only to those that pay him loads of cash.

zombflux:

Give me ten reasons why Ron Paul would make a good president. From what i understand hes not for fixing our system, he would destroy what safeguards it had against corruption.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Treblaine:
Snip

Obama. By far i would take a man whose promises mean fuck all, over a crazy man whose promises are only to those that pay him loads of cash.

zombflux:

Give me ten reasons why Ron Paul would make a good president. From what i understand hes not for fixing our system, he would destroy what safeguards it had against corruption.

I think the appeal of Ron Paul is that he (claims to) have answers, he has a radical plan and lots of "pro active" solutions.

The problem is his strategy is crazy. It sure seems appealing on the surface but it is extraordinarily naive, it's something more likely to be heard in Berlusconi's Italy than in any fiscally responsible nation.

Axyun:
I'm surprised at how jaded many of the posters here are. Yes the average american is at a disadvantage when large corporations can pour millions of dollars into lobbying for their interests, but our votes still count even if not 100% of what they should.

I also can't understand how people can claim that the two candidates are the same. Anyone who is actually aware of the current issues contested between the candidates, and women in particular should be very involved as there are some REALLY big issues related to them, will know that the two candidates are most definitely NOT the same thing.

I saw a previous poster call Obama a war monger. Really? For going after the people who were responsible for 9/11 instead of Iraq and for, just a few days ago, announcing the end and demobilization of the U.S. army in Afghanistan since we killed the person we were after?

I'm willing to bet good money that 99% of the people here making sweeping generalizations about the candidates or expressing their cynicism for the system don't actually know what is actually current in politics. Even if you felt helpless to cause change, you should still educate yourself. Most of you jaded types just come across as being ignorant. Again, if you are a woman and you can tell me with a straight face that both candidates are the same then you need to get up-to-date on politics ASAP. Your pay and your right to health services are in jeopardy at the moment on account of the differences between the two candidates.

Reminds me of a satire I saw in year-2000 making jokes about how two presidential candidates were so similar they seemed like clones, then the punchline was they were in fact clones. But turns out this was a topical joke on the year-200 presidential election claiming that Al Gore and George W Bush were indistinguishable... REALLY!!?!? Is that how it seemed at the time?!?!?

The problem is everyone takes what politicians say in campaigns at face value. But the thing is they all hire PR-consultants who studied in the same universities, they all come to the same conclusion on what is the best thing to say to get elected, so everyone says the same thing.

NO! This is why it is so valued to have Presidential Candidates who have held some sort of political office BEFORE. You judge their validity as president hugely on how they acted when they were in that office. Like how when Rick Santorum when a senator claims that homosexuality should be banned (and considered it as immoral as) child abuse or bestiality. Now in the campaign he never said anything so extreme, you judge them by what they DON'T want to talk about!

Don't watch any of the campaign ads, there are plenty of political commentators out there who will dig through the candidate's dirty past and reveal where they REALLY stand on these matters.

daxterx2005:
Master Chief for president?

what would be his tagline?

Ix Rebound:

daxterx2005:

Finish the Fight... 4 more years

Treblaine:

Ix Rebound:

daxterx2005:

Finish the Fight... 4 more years

awesome

that... scares the hell out of me to be honest. but then again... american politics? bah! it was never really gonna get any scarier and face-palm inducing than it already was.

*double post. delete me!*

Glad this didn't turn into another Halo-bashing episode.

Shagdawg:

anian:

Vault Citizen:
Can't people both vote and buy Halo 4?

Now, you see, in a "normal" country that would be the case, but the USA is a country where election even has a possibility of being controlled by people who
a) have an xbox
b) will by a game at launch date no matter what (no matter what side you may be on, still is kind of a deciding on the future of the country and you might even count the world)
c) buy a game where the main character is named "Master Chief", that's right, most people call him by his rank

...so yeah, that's the country with the biggest nuclear armament in the world.

Microsoft marketing guys are either stupid or politically careless or intentionally almost breaking the law. Either way, day before or day after would've been better.

This is a rambling, incoherent post that means nothing and adds nothing to the conversation. The only intent is to take a jab at the US and show off poor grammar. I'm guessing you're from the UK since you sound like all the other America hating Brits on this site. Seriously, go fuck yourself.

The federal election date is the first Tuesday of November, however this means a little less with the adoption of early voting, and relaxed requirements for absentee voting. Federal law also requires all employers to allow employees the opportunity to vote even if it means that person has to leave work early with out penalty. Thirdly by federal law each poling location is to be open from 6am-7pm, and anyone whom is in line to vote by 6:59.59pm is allowed to vote. There is no law in the united states that forbids commerce from being committed on any election day.

this conspiracy banks on the fact the young people still like Obama anymore or that Romney will be the candidate (hey i'm a paultard, can't help it) Personally i'm pre-ordering halo 4 so i couldn't give less of a shit which came first. because halo will be there for me, and which ever politician (if it comes down to Romney or Obama) will still ultimately fuck me, because both are corrupt, corporate loving, retards on the far right or far left instead of being a classical (also read as 'true') liberal or conservatives which is now considered libertarian.
I think i can survive romney more than Obama, but i need some serious xbox live and Halo time......and a big ass TV.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here